• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I prefer history than made up to appease the American audience

American audiences are tough to appease. Not like the old days when people would be happy watching sappy old Westerns or slapstick comedy. Of course, a lot of those Westerns weren't really historically accurate - except for Bonanza. But I think people realized that it wasn't meant to be accurate or realistic.

However, I remember a quote from Herman Wouk that always stuck with me: “It may grieve the judicious that the great public learns much of its history from works of entertainment. But such is the case.”

Of course he's right, but it does grieve the judicious.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I've not read the comics, i didn't even know they existed. What i do know is a bunch of Catholics tried to overthrow the government by assassinating the main player's. terrorism.
It wasn't the Catholics but a group of very wealthy investors who were tied to a pharmaceutical company who made a killing from a false flag operations and clandestine research that made them rich and made it possible to bring the UK under an Orwellian dictatorship (basically using legal means but manipulating the public with fear over these operations) that is ultra-conservative, though I don't recall any specific denomination.
The protagonist, V, an anarchist terrorist, fights to free England from the clutches of tyranny.
(The show is American, but the comic is English)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It wasn't the Catholics but a group of very wealthy investors who were tied to a pharmaceutical company who made a killing from a false flag operations and clandestine research that made them rich and made it possible to bring the UK under an Orwellian dictatorship (basically using legal means but manipulating the public with fear over these operations) that is ultra-conservative, though I don't recall any specific denomination.
The protagonist, V, an anarchist terrorist, fights to free England from the clutches of tyranny.
(The show is American, but the comic is English)

Sounds like pushing history to the realms of fantasy. But thats what makes a good fantasy comic (and film)

Shadow Wolf

Sounds like pushing history to the realms of fantasy. But thats what makes a good fantasy comic (and film)
Yeah. And John Hurt was also amazing in the movie as High Chancellor Sutler. An evil tyrant or world-weary Doctor, he's an amazing actor.
Amd then Hugo Weaving at least voices V. I kind of assume he also played V, given the movie was made by the Wachowski sisters who also made the Matrix, which Weaving was in giving him that staged martial arts training. But even if it's just his voice, it was so awesome. Especially for his introduction monologue.
And Stephen Fry is in it, and I can't recall seeing him in anything he wasn't good in.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yeah. And John Hurt was also amazing in the movie as High Chancellor Sutler. An evil tyrant or world-weary Doctor, he's an amazing actor.
Amd then Hugo Weaving at least voices V. I kind of assume he also played V, given the movie was made by the Wachowski sisters who also made the Matrix, which Weaving was in giving him that staged martial arts training. But even if it's just his voice, it was so awesome. Especially for his introduction monologue.
And Stephen Fry is in it, and I can't recall seeing him in anything he wasn't good in.

John Hurt is an amazing actor

And in my view Stephen Fry is just amazing

Shadow Wolf

I am curious if that henchman of Ünderbheit had cancer or not. Venture Brothers has a lot of cancer, but that lump may not have been cancer, they got worked up over nothing, Brock unfortunately ended the torture prematurely.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
a little more than 15 hours into the new year and I am already sick and tired of how vandalism is given a pass depending on the race of those who commit it or depend on who it is committed against

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is being passed around as real. Rule of thumb - Wikipedia disagrees

In the 1400's a law was set forth in
England that a man was allowed

To beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.

Hence we have 'the rule

Of thumb'