• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Had quite a few in my home town.
Bombed the local FBI office, set the ROTC building afire, smashed
all the bank windows, battles with cops, tear gassed crowds, etc.
The rioting ended about 15 years ago. Since then, the town has
been peaceful, even during BLM protests.

Anti-war demonstrations? If that's what you're referring to, then some might have thought of them as "uprisings" as much as "riots." Some were even talking of "revolution" back then.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They were riots only when people rioted.

I guess it depends on what the riot is about. Sometimes cities have riots if a favorite local sports team wins a championship. People tend to run amok and break things, but there's no actual "cause" attached to it. I even remember some riots by college students in Palm Springs many years ago, but it wasn't really for any cause either; they just got bored or something.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This is being passed around as real. Rule of thumb - Wikipedia disagrees

In the 1400's a law was set forth in
England that a man was allowed
To beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.
Hence we have 'the rule

Of thumb'

sagrees

In the 1400's a law was set forth in
England that a man was allowed
To beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.
Hence we have 'the rule

Of thumb'
[/QUOTE]
The fact it's not a real thing is why I will never feel shame over using it, no matter the knee jerks and wails and gnashing of teeth.

Shadow Wolf

I'm feeling sick and scheduled a covid test. There are no openings I can find for one until Monday, however.

Shadow Wolf

I hope I'm just too stressed and not physiologically ill. Lacking a runny nose and cough has me thinking it might be that, but I feel awful regardless what's going on.
Weight to this hypothesis comes from how lately I've come to realize that after years of being in therapy, the cognitive behavioral therapy approach has done extremely little to actually ameliorate the root causes of some of my issues. As far as I can tell, CBT, staying busy at work or with hobbies, using drugs, or other means of taking your mind of the woes and keeping it distracted and away from those thoughts [thoughts often keep me awake at night].
And lots of other things. Without taking them I know my GAD-7 and PHQ-9 scores would be over 20 (severe and in need of professional help).

Shadow Wolf

Everything pissing me off is another reason I'm suspecting stress over anything else. Still going ti play it safe until I get my test results, but, until then, my current guitar learning project:
I pretty much already have the first movement down.
The second movement I'll learn but I've never cared for it.
The third movement I feel like all the Metallica, Megadeth, Muse, Black Label Society and Slayer I've learned is going to be like playing tee-ball and then stepping into the major league. Maybe not quite that big of a leap, but it's going to be the hardest song I've attempted to learn.

Shadow Wolf

Sure enough today, Mars the Bringer of War played in my car, and not only was there "duh-duduh-dududu," I had an intense urge to honk my horn to it. Because 21 amd 24 are awesome.
And I was greeted today, over someone's intercom thingy, with "are you my mommy?" The Dr. Who reference brought a smile to my face.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess it depends on what the riot is about. Sometimes cities have riots if a favorite local sports team wins a championship. People tend to run amok and break things, but there's no actual "cause" attached to it. I even remember some riots by college students in Palm Springs many years ago, but it wasn't really for any cause either; they just got bored or something.
A riot is a riot is a riot,
be it over sports or politics or wanting lower rent.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
790.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's misting outside, enough to stop outdoor activities without doing squat to help our possibly looming drought.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From Merriam Webster...
The adjective "omnibus" may not have much to do with public transportation, but the noun "omnibus" certainly does - it not only means "bus,"but it's also the word English speakers shortened to form "bus." The noun "omnibus" originated in the 1820s as a French word for long, horse-drawn vehicles that transported people along the main thoroughfares of Paris. Shortly thereafter, omnibuses - and the noun "omnibus" - arrived in New York. But in Latin, "omnibus" simply means "for all." Our adjective "omnibus," which arrived in the mid-1800s, seems to hark back to that Latin omnibus, though it may also have been at least partially influenced by the English noun. An "omnibus bill" containing numerous provisions, for example, could be likened to a bus loaded with people.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From Merriam Webster...
The adjective "omnibus" may not have much to do with public transportation, but the noun "omnibus" certainly does - it not only means "bus,"but it's also the word English speakers shortened to form "bus." The noun "omnibus" originated in the 1820s as a French word for long, horse-drawn vehicles that transported people along the main thoroughfares of Paris. Shortly thereafter, omnibuses - and the noun "omnibus" - arrived in New York. But in Latin, "omnibus" simply means "for all." Our adjective "omnibus," which arrived in the mid-1800s, seems to hark back to that Latin omnibus, though it may also have been at least partially influenced by the English noun. An "omnibus bill" containing numerous provisions, for example, could be likened to a bus loaded with people.

"omni" is such as useful word prefix: omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and omnivore.