• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Merry New Year...and may 2021 be one HECK of a lot better than 2020
I'd do the Black Sacrament to have 2021 assassinated if it were possible because it's going to be a continuation of 2020. Like six days into it well have several thousand people already dead and Trump's three-ring circus act will resume as the EC votes are counted.

Shadow Wolf

@Revoltingest
Have you ever watched V for Vendetta? I want to assume no with such a blanket dismissal of DC characters, but that thought is partially my own biased thoughts because I love the character, and it to my best knowledge is where the line "god is in the rain" comes from.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest
Have you ever watched V for Vendetta? I want to assume no with such a blanket dismissal of DC characters, but that thought is partially my own biased thoughts because I love the character, and it to my best knowledge is where the line "god is in the rain" comes from.
Of course....loved the movie.
I even thought of getting a Guy Fawkes mask for this Covid crap.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Of course....loved the movie.
I even thought of getting a Guy Fawkes mask for this Covid crap.

The burning of Guy Fawkes is commemorated on November 5th with bonfires with an effegy of Guy Fawkes on top and fireworks.

The poem reminds us what it was all about

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd (or by God's mercy*)
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
And what should we do with him? Burn him!

The evening bonfire event is known by various names, Guy Fawkes night, bonfire night, burn a Catholic night.

Its a good reminder of Britains barbaric past.

Shadow Wolf

The burning of Guy Fawkes is commemorated on November 5th with bonfires with an effegy of Guy Fawkes on top and fireworks.

I know of no reason
Should ever be forgot.

The evening bonfire event is known by various names, Guy Fawkes night, bonfire night, burn a Catholic night.

V for Vendetta I suspect is how 99% of Americans who know of Guy Fawks and the 5th of November and the Gun Powder Treason amd Plot even know about that stuff in the first place. (The movie also quotes the first few lines of the poem, but yet oddly not the bits about it being said Fawks is the only person to enter Parliament with good intentions).

ChristineM

Premium Member
V for Vendetta I suspect is how 99% of Americans who know of Guy Fawks and the 5th of November and the Gun Powder Treason amd Plot even know about that stuff in the first place. (The movie also quotes the first few lines of the poem, but yet oddly not the bits about it being said Fawks is the only person to enter Parliament with good intentions).

It is a good film, i enjoyed it very much but only see it as taking the basic idea and adding much hype to draw in the american audience. The politics and religious fermentation of the day would not have gone down well in bible belt movie theaters

ChristineM

Premium Member
Its just gone midnight so i wish you all a happy new year

And may i be the first to wish you a merry Christmas

Shadow Wolf

It is a good film, i enjoyed it very much but only see it as taking the basic idea and adding much hype to draw in the american audience. The politics and religious fermentation of the day would not have gone down well in bible belt movie theaters
I recall the theater having a small crowd each time I saw it in the theaters. But I don't think many would have been offended anyways given the strong parallels and imagry between Sutler's England and Hitler's Germany. Add in the greed of the bad guys, and I don't see them objecting much over that.
It is, however, not the average action comic flick of mindless indulgence. To watch and appreciate V, however, is to do some thinking and observing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I know of no reason
Should ever be forgot.

I remember watching a series on Netflix called The Tudors, and they showed some of the executions that occurred. Burning at the stake, being lowered into boiling oil, the rack...pretty nasty stuff. They also showed what passed for medical science back then, which was truly ghastly.

Some people think it's bad today, but I sometimes wonder how humans ever managed to survive.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I remember watching a series on Netflix called The Tudors, and they showed some of the executions that occurred. Burning at the stake, being lowered into boiling oil, the rack...pretty nasty stuff. They also showed what passed for medical science back then, which was truly ghastly.

Some people think it's bad today, but I sometimes wonder how humans ever managed to survive.
It's too easy to forget that dark history.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's too easy to forget that dark history.

True. Considering the kinds of executions they had back then, the guillotine would have been seen as a merciful punishment by comparison.

Although I guess it could be worse. One could be stabbed.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Its just gone midnight so i wish you all a happy new year

And may i be the first to wish you a merry Christmas

Happy New Year...there...not here........got a few hours to go yet here......and I will be asleep before that