• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
giphy.gif

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Eeeeeeehhhhhhh. This is a situation where I “get it,” but it’s also like “come on.” Which they eventually understood and reversed it. It’s technically unprofessional. It would be like me joking with another gay woman by using a slur on the job. Except we don’t have a culture inundated with taking these slurs back.

Really, pretty sure it’d be best to have Black folks give their opinions on this one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eeeeeeehhhhhhh. This is a situation where I “get it,” but it’s also like “come on.” Which they eventually understood and reversed it. It’s technically unprofessional. It would be like me joking with another gay woman by using a slur on the job. Except we don’t have a culture inundated with taking these slurs back.

Really, pretty sure it’d be best to have Black folks give their opinions on this one.
This is about random meaningless announcements,
but the article showed that the cop used the term
in an abusive manner IMO. He wasn't joking IMO.
Would it be "technically unprofessional" if a white cop
had said the same thing?

As for sanction, I'd favor re-training & some lesser
punishment over firing.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
This is about random meaningless announcements,
but the article showed that the cop used the term
in an abusive manner. He wasn't joking.
Would it be "technically unprofessional" if a white cop
had said the same thing?

As for sanction, I'd favor re-training & some lesser
punishment over firing.

I didn’t interpret an abusive manner from the transcript: the student spoke similarly. He was basically using the same mannerisms as the student: it was just unprofessional (he was speaking essentially in a casual way, not abusively).

I don’t know, that’s what I got out of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn’t interpret an abusive manner from the transcript: the student spoke similarly. He was basically using the same mannerisms as the student: it was just unprofessional (he was speaking essentially in a casual way, not abusively).

I don’t know, that’s what I got out of it.
Consider this excerpt....
“I told you, ******, we ain’t playing games with your ***,” White responds.

I discern hostility & the intention of insult by the black Mr White.
But if permissible, should we have different insulting terminology
for white, black, male, female, asian, Indian law enforcement
personnel? I find that impractical....& absurd.

Note:
To comply with RF rules, I altered the quote by replacing
the partially obscured word with the fully obscured word.
Partial obscuring is a rule violation.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Consider this excerpt....
“I told you, ******, we ain’t playing games with your ***,” White responds.

I discern hostility & the intention of insult by the black Mr White.
But if permissible, should we have different insulting terminology
for white, black, male, female, asian, Indian law enforcement
personnel? I find that impractical....& absurd.

Note:
To comply with RF rules, I had to alter the quote by replacing
the partially obscured word with the fully obscured word.
Partial obscuring is a rule violation.

I have seen these kinds of interactions between security and kids, or security and patrons, or small town cops with troublemakers, things like that. It really depends on context.

In such interactions where the authority figure knows the person, they’ll adopt their manner of speech (or if they share a background, it’s more that they’ll drop the decorum of professional speech). It’s a way to empathize and be on the same level as the person they’re interacting with.

So much depends on the context is all I’m saying. Even the “or I’ll kick your ***” part. I’m very tired so I don’t know how to argue this, but this has a context that’s not so bad, depending: same concept as speaking on someone’s level. I didn’t mean to turn this into a debate, just saying. I need to go to bed

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have seen these kinds of interactions between security and kids, or security and patrons, or small town cops with troublemakers, things like that. It really depends on context.

In such interactions where the authority figure knows the person, they’ll adopt their manner of speech (or if they share a background, it’s more that they’ll drop the decorum of professional speech). It’s a way to empathize and be on the same level as the person they’re interacting with.

So much depends on the context is all I’m saying. Even the “or I’ll kick your ***” part. I’m very tired so I don’t know how to argue this, but this has a context that’s not so bad, depending: same concept as speaking on someone’s level. I didn’t mean to turn this into a debate, just saying. I need to go to bed
I prefer that cops entirely avoid insulting us. They should
be trained to treat us with less violence & derision. Being
of the same race, gender, or culture shouldn't be license
to use racist, sexist, & other insults.
This is for the cops' own good too. The less we hate them,
the easier their job.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Given how bad people are at training other people to act politely, good luck with that. Are you mounted on Rosinante this morning?
It will be a long work in progress.

Look at you...making a sophisticated literary reference.
It would be lost on me were it not for my watching
"The Expanse", & doing a little searching.