• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The female origin is not historically provable, it is at best an origin story. Bruce Lee trained under Ip Man, however he was mostly taught by one of Ip Man's senior students. He also only learned Sil Lum Tao. However the rest is right. I trained Wing Chun for a little while and am currently considering going back. Trained under a student of Ip Ching and also trained in the Ip Man > Leung Sheung line.

I trained myself in yoga an pilates, do they count?

Also i learned a little goshinkwai/krav maga just to be able to look after myself if needed.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
The female origin is not historically provable, it is at best an origin story. Bruce Lee trained under Ip Man, however he was mostly taught by one of Ip Man's senior students. He also only learned Sil Lum Tao. However the rest is right. I trained Wing Chun for a little while and am currently considering going back. Trained under a student of Ip Ching and also trained in the Ip Man > Leung Sheung line.
In the WC school I attended, progress was intentionally slow. And 'Funny Money' was a common practice. We moved to a new 'game' of hands once a month only when Sifu approved. So it could take years to become what was called a 'Big Brother' at our school.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
348s.jpg

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
For the sake of common knowledge, going to a gym to box doesn't make anyone Mike Tyson. Studying WC doesn't make someone Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was a very good dancer. He also seemed to be exceptionally strong for a thin man. I believe he was an amazing athlete. Videos of truly advanced WC practitioners show how smooth and seemingly simple they move...WC practice gives you an advantage simply because so many so called fighters use a circular motion(rotate shoulders) as they punch while WC teaches direct straight punches that can land very fast and they originate within a practitioners 'gate'(your gate is an imaginary rectangle where your vitals are contained)....@Wu Wei is a better communicator than I and I hope he would continue giving some information for members...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For the sake of common knowledge, going to a gym to box doesn't make anyone Mike Tyson. Studying WC doesn't make someone Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was a very good dancer. He also seemed to be exceptionally strong for a thin man. I believe he was an amazing athlete. Videos of truly advanced WC practitioners show how smooth and seemingly simple they move...WC practice gives you an advantage simply because so many so called fighters use a circular motion(rotate shoulders) as they punch while WC teaches direct straight punches that can land very fast and they originate within a practitioners 'gate'(your gate is an imaginary rectangle where your vitals are contained)....@Wu Wei is a better communicator than I and I hope he would continue giving some information for members...

Going straight in, actual target about 3 to 6 inches behind the visual target is far more devastating than going around the houses.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
In the WC school I attended, progress was intentionally slow. And 'Funny Money' was a common practice. We moved to a new 'game' of hands once a month only when Sifu approved. So it could take years to become what was called a 'Big Brother' at our school.

Sounds like a good school I've been training Chinese martial arts for 30 years and martial arts for 50 years. Wing Chun was only about a year, then did a little Jeet Kune Do, until age, infirmity and injury...oh and an MD...shut it down. These days I'm mostly a traditional Yang Taijiquan guy (with martial arts intact). But I am considering a return to Wing Chun

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My defensive martial art practice this morning is taking boxes of my wife's detritus to GoodWill before I get verbally kicked for not fulfilling a promise.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I like Netflix's Cowboy Bebop Reboot, and I'm an old fan of the cartoon. It is sad that season 2 is cancelled.