• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I once had a epiphany
So very bright and clear
A way to go
A path to follow
I didn’t due to fear
A lesson sometimes learned too late

]“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Dune

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

]“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Dune
I like Ed Starks remark that it's only when we're afraid that we can be brave.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I don't know. Teaching English somewhere does get me out of a country dancing with fascism. I have to touch up on German and the mechanics of English and learn more Japanese, get a few things here taken care of, amd then you'll be on your own.
And I'll definitely at least go to Japan. I haven't met many Japanese so it'd be something good for me. I've known enough Germans to be aware of how very highly finicky things can be and things that are free here that aren't there. But being direct and blunt in communication is a big help for me, and it's nice that I don't have to wonder much what they really think.
幸運をIch hoffe es klappt alles

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

well it was over 30 years ago..... now I'm mostly cynical, ornery, nasty, and mean

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
well it was over 30 years ago..... now I'm mostly cynical, ornery, nasty, and mean
I must not be cynical. Cynicism is the mind-killer. Cynicism is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my cynicism. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the cynicism has gone there will be nothing. Only sarcasm will remain.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Recently I've been much too cynical about the new RF and gotten grumped at as a consequence. Maybe it's time for me to go to one of those threads and continue being ornery.

But as far as past life reviews go, I have a list of what might have been as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

You attributed it to Dune, but not to Paul.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It technically is supposed to get credited to the author. Which to me makes no sense because it may not be something the author actually endorses or believes.
In the movie, Paul is the "author" of his words.
This is the convention when quoting characters.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
a10eda88-6be3-4947-b54f-7488ae59f676_text.gif

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope. Characters aren't credited for quotes from a book or movie. It's the author or director.
That's an inferior standard because it doesn't attribute the quote to the character.
It matters that the quote about fear is from Paul because it shows his mind &
training. It couldn't be from the Duke, the Baron or others.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is the movie the only or the original source? No. Therefore it is not Paul's.
As I recall, this dialogue was faithful to the book.
Consider....
There are many quotes from characters from many
of Kurt Vonnegut's books. To attribute a quote
solely to him, with no mention of which character
in which book is inadequate. Diana Moon Glampers
wouldn't say things that Salo (the Tralfamadorian) would.
I'd want to know who said what....not merely that
Vonnegut wrote something in one of many books.