• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It sounds absurd, but it’s shockingly common: Many people all across the country do not know that Maine is a part of the United States and not, in fact, a part of Canada. It’s as amusing as it is frustrating.

Many Mainers have found themselves chatting with an out-of-state classmate, client or complete stranger, and when the topic of location gets brought up, they are met with blank stares, questions and outright suspicion when the other person is informed that, yes, Maine is a state and not a foreign country.

“I used to work for a medical supply company in the Portland area. People would ask where we were located, and when I said Maine, they would say, ‘We don’t do business with foreign companies’ and hang up,” said Melanie Kollman, a real estate agent in Bangor.

It’s also not a made up fantasyland, as some TikTokers have suggested. Although if we wanted to stop too many people from coming here, it might not be a bad strategy to promote the idea that Maine, like Middle-earth and Westeros, isn’t actually a real place.

“When I first moved to Texas I was getting a haircut and making small talk. The stylist asked where I’m from. I told her I’m from Maine, and her response was, ‘What is Maine?’” recalled Ben Wintle, who grew up in Corinna and now lives in Austin. “Not ‘where’ is Maine. ‘What’ is Maine.”

It wouldn’t be surprising if someone from another country might not know anything about Maine, or even that it exists. But a fellow American? Who should theoretically learn the names of all 50 states before they leave elementary school?

At first, such a story makes me shake my head at such ignorance of U.S. geography, but then again, what if Maine truly is some dark and mysterious place? Perhaps the Dark Side is strong in that place.

main-qimg-5da154fdb2a9a256f5a7d6f7a7db62b0-lq

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

At first, such a story makes me shake my head at such ignorance of U.S. geography, but then again, what if Maine truly is some dark and mysterious place? Perhaps the Dark Side is strong in that place.

Well, they talk if the County going to Canada, but people think the whole state is in Canada?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

Technically Middle Earth is a very ancient Earth, so it's "real" even if it's not real. Like many Bible stories, about like the first few chapters of Genesis before the Earth was, allegedly according to some, reshaped on the surface to allow all the extra water of appear and drain along with changes due to such extreme flooding (Middle Earth is flat).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, they talk if the County going to Canada, but people think the whole state is in Canada?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The battle cry for the Spanish-American War was "Remember the Maine," but it seems that most Americans forgot about both. I guess they still remember the Alamo, though.

I remember the 20th Maine who fought courageously at Gettysburg.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, ya can't get there from here

Maine just sits off in the corner, all by itself, doesn't say anything. New York soaks up all the limelight in that region, while Florida, Texas, and California vie for attention as to which is America's craziest state. Nobody pays any attention to Maine.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The future looks bleak for graduates.
601a8da71769d_wHNnkav__700.jpg
mostly, but it depends on what your degree is in for some. and in a few cases it depends on the expectations of the graduate. There are those getting out into the work world demanding to dollar, equivalent to those who have been in the job for many years. I know 2 doctors offices that were interviewing newly minted MDs who during the interview started dictating what they would and would not do, would take 6 weeks paid vacation a year, would not work weekends of go on call, wanted the same salary as the MD in charge of the office. WE run into the same thing in IT too. And I even had to talk my oldest down recently because he expected the same salary and hours as those much more senior than he would be in that office. And then got depressed because they did not agree...

But employment is much less certain than it was when I graduated college.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Maine just sits off in the corner, all by itself, doesn't say anything. New York soaks up all the limelight in that region, while Florida, Texas, and California vie for attention as to which is America's craziest state. Nobody pays any attention to Maine.
Actually Maine does not border NY at all.....New Hampshire and Massachusetts are what gives Maine an inferiority complex

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Actually Maine does not border NY at all.....New Hampshire and Massachusetts are what gives Maine an inferiority complex
I have fond memories of Maine. We went to Baxter State Park for our honeymoon thinking that having an island to ourselves was just the thing. After miles of hiking we got to the boat to take us to the island. After realizing that the romantic getaway involved digging latrines, becoming smelly because the water was too cold to bath in and the camping food we brought was camping food, we left early and found a motel. I remember that time with mixed fondness.