• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are you the only person who has enough access to install things on that computer? Has anything been installed recently? Suppose that someone else had tried to install a video game or utility that offered to also install Avast and suppose they forgot to uncheck "Install Avast" before clicking "Next."

So it could be that it was an add-on that rode in on the installer for another program. Lots of programs used to offer Avast or Norton as add-ons. I remember...Java...Flash...torrent apps....players...etc. Maybe it came with something like that.

Could be but no one admits to installing anything recently.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Could be but no one admits to installing anything recently.
Get that off of your computer, then. Anyways I know you can use Arch, so I'm not worried about you.

It may be possible to boot your computer with Linux and use the antivirus on that to scan your windows files using Clam Antivirus. There may be other tricks, too. I wonder if Wine could be used to run malware detection on your Windows system? Sorry I do not know if anyone has found a way to do that; but it would be nice. It would be too good though not to be made into a commercial product. If I went to all the trouble of setting something like that up I might be tempted to ask for payment. All I'm saying is that if you are exposed financially maybe..just maybe you could check the computer's hard drive out and clean it without running the OS at the same time. I'm sure it will take time, so I don't know whether it is worth your time doing so.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Did it sneak any of thos3 tricky ones as you were installing it? Like the ones thay make it appear like the same program with different features but actually are different programs?
Please call the helpdesk at 222 333 4444 and have your creditvard ready and we will assist you

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Please call the helpdesk at 222 333 4444 and have your creditvard ready and we will assist you
I've had to it for free for years because everyone just assumes I know all this technology crap.
I had to draw the line at dumb phones though because there's quite a bit on mine I've not figured out so people will have to do their own button pushing and pushing random things until the issue might still not be resolved.

Wu Wei

I've had to it for free for years because everyone just assumes I know all this technology crap.
I had to draw the line at dumb phones though because there's quite a bit on mine I've not figured out so people will have to do their own button pushing and pushing random things until the issue might still not be resolved.
Had a user...in my office...fall for that one in an email..... they had there PC pulled and re-imaged, lost all the data they were saving on their PC that they were told to save on the share, also got told to contact their credit card company....... as well as being told that we would NEVER send them an email and we most CERTAINLY would NEVER ask for a credit card number

Wu Wei

I had 叉烧 Chāshāo and 油条Yóutiáo... for lunch and I'm not sharing

AND I am considering having a 叉烧 Chāshāo 包子 Baozi too...and its all MINE i say MINE (enter diabolical laughter here)

Shadow Wolf

Had a user...in my office...fall for that one in an email..... they had there PC pulled and re-imaged, lost all the data they were saving on their PC that they were told to save on the share, also got told to contact their credit card company....... as well as being told that we would NEVER send them an email and we most CERTAINLY would NEVER ask for a credit card number
I don't know how people fall for those super obvious ones, especially when that basic thing "well never ask for your password or credit card" is everywhere and all over the place.

Shadow Wolf

I had 叉烧 Chāshāo and 油条Yóutiáo... for lunch and I'm not sharing

AND I am considering having a 叉烧 Chāshāo 包子 Baozi too...and its all MINE i say MINE (enter diabolical laughter here)
For breakfast I had a banana. I think that's more zen or something so :tongueclosed:

Wu Wei

I don't know how people fall for those super obvious ones, especially when that basic thing "well never ask for your password or credit card" is everywhere and all over the place.
This person came to us from the Obama administration too