• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm annoyed.

Checked my email, didn't click on anything. Deleted 31 spam emails. Went to shut down to get the message Windows is installing Avast anti virus.

Went to task manager to stop the installation and it wouldn't let me.

Went to add- remove programs to remove avast and it would let me.

I thought avast was supposed to be a reputable product? It obviously uses malware to install it unbeknown to the user.

Running Spybot and Malwearbytes allowed me to used add-remove programs to get rid of Avast.

Now I'm concerned that our computers protection is not up to scratch and it may be infected with something nasty that our malware protection is not seeing.
Maybe it wasn't Avast but a malware version

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm annoyed.

Checked my email, didn't click on anything. Deleted 31 spam emails. Went to shut down to get the message Windows is installing Avast anti virus.

Went to task manager to stop the installation and it wouldn't let me.

Went to add- remove programs to remove avast and it would let me.

I thought avast was supposed to be a reputable product? It obviously uses malware to install it unbeknown to the user.

Running Spybot and Malwearbytes allowed me to used add-remove programs to get rid of Avast.

Now I'm concerned that our computers protection is not up to scratch and it may be infected with something nasty that our malware protection is not seeing.
Avast is legit. I've used it.

Shadow Wolf

So it's the ******** forcing it to install who are the ********
Did it sneak any of thos3 tricky ones as you were installing it? Like the ones thay make it appear like the same program with different features but actually are different programs?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you the only person who has enough access to install things on that computer? Has anything been installed recently? Suppose that someone else had tried to install a video game or utility that offered to also install Avast and suppose they forgot to uncheck "Install Avast" before clicking "Next."

So it could be that it was an add-on that rode in on the installer for another program. Lots of programs used to offer Avast or Norton as add-ons. I remember...Java...Flash...torrent apps....players...etc. Maybe it came with something like that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
5c84aa202fac2fe0a4188fed2d75588b.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Are you the only person who has enough access to install things on that computer? Has anything been installed recently? Suppose that someone else had tried to install a video game or utility that offered to also install Avast and suppose they forgot to uncheck "Install Avast" before clicking "Next."

So it could be that it was an add-on that rode in on the installer for another program. Lots of programs used to offer Avast or Norton as add-ons. I remember...Java...Flash...torrent apps....players...etc. Maybe it came with something like that.
Reading it again I strongly suspect that's the case.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Did it sneak any of thos3 tricky ones as you were installing it? Like the ones thay make it appear like the same program with different features but actually are different programs?

Not that much know of, malwarebytes has given it a clean bill of health.