• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
7d47ce1a-50d9-4a02-a1ea-da9fcf399cfb_text.gif
So you're an angry bird.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Brutal machinery move yesterday.
Just to get Mr Van & trailer to the building
involved laying down a temporary roadway
over the mud, & leapfrogging it as we went.
Messy cold slippery wet slow work.
But I rescued the 2 most valuable pieces.
2 engines, one from the 1840s or 50s.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Jayne Secker was presenting a segment on Sky News showing the teen's stunned reaction as he reached Tetris's "kill screen" - the point where the game crashes and a player can go no further.

After showing the clip, she turned to the camera and said: "As a mother, I would just say step away from the screen. Go outside, get some fresh air. Beating Tetris is not a life goal".

Her on-air remarks were widely shared online and branded "disappointing" and "old-fashioned".

Ukie, which represents the UK games industry, said it was time the sector, which employs thousands of people in the UK, should get more respect.

Co-CEO Dan Wood told Newsbeat: "It's high time we throw out those outdated perceptions of video games and recognise that our thriving games industry is not only an economic powerhouse, but also a key cultural export for the UK."

"Not only can video games be a force for good, from helping people to relax to building communities, they are even helping people to develop skills such as problem-solving and critical thinking."

So, I guess that settles it once and for all: Video games are cool.

Of course, there's a bit of nostalgia when looking back at those old video arcades, which have pretty much fallen by the wayside.
Still, I guess this news anchor is getting some flak for mocking a 13-year-old playing video games. If he'd won a chess championship, would her reaction be the same?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

So, I guess that settles it once and for all: Video games are cool.

Of course, there's a bit of nostalgia when looking back at those old video arcades, which have pretty much fallen by the wayside.
Still, I guess this news anchor is getting some flak for mocking a 13-year-old playing video games. If he'd won a chess championship, would her reaction be the same?
I was sent a video of that kid (he's not even hit puberty yet) and the history of beating Tetris.
It reminded me of a philosophy textbook, and a section asking of life goals and worthy pursuits and such, amd it asked what is better a life dedicated to conventional goals or a goal of getting a high score in a video game. It was asked in a way to make the video game goal look bad.
But watching that kid, and seeing all the unbelievable amount of stuff (learning the code, controller techniques as this is the old school Tetris for regular Nintendo, how the code does some weird things woth the colors and even having a rebirth screen, amd the community behind it all) made me realize video gaming probably could be viewed as just as worthy ad a goal in any game or sport. Even the guy compiting against the other kid to be the first got really excited over it as it happened and congratulated the kid when he did it. And the look on the kids face was better than any face of a kid you've seen on Christmas morning because this was truly special and unique.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Notice something the other day as I was looking at the Pacific Ocean.
When I get to the Pacific and I stop and look at it, I instantaneously relax. I could stand there for hours just looking at it and just breathing.
I was very recently on the coast of Maine, an looking at the Atlantic I am struck by the Awe of the thing, its power, total lack of calm, and I could stand there and stare at it for hours. Ultimately that too is rather relaxing, just not instantaneously, I am to transfixed by the Atlantic to even notice it, until I leave it.

Wish the 2 were closer... but they ain't

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
When I get to the Pacific and I stop and look at it, I instantaneously relax. I could stand there for hours just looking at it and just breathing.
I was very recently on the coast of Maine, an looking at the Atlantic I am struck by the Awe of the thing, its power, total lack of calm, and I could stand there and stare at it for hours. Ultimately that too is rather relaxing, just not instantaneously, I am to transfixed by the Atlantic to even notice it, until I leave it.

I get that 'awe' feeling from the Great Lakes. And if I can actually get in the water, I'm completely overwhelmed.

I didn't get that feeling from the Atlantic. I felt very small, and a bit 'unsheltered' when I approached the 'end of the land'. It just... stopped. Dropped off. It was somewhat boggling to me. Being in the water gave me that same 'unsheltered' feeling. While I enjoyed the Atlantic, it wasn't the same blissful feeling that the Great Lakes gives me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I instantaneously relax. I could stand there for hours just looking at it and just breathing.
In 2022 when I was in Myrtle Beach at a retreat, there were rounds playing in the morning. I remember that after a bit I was just gazing at the ocean repeating a round/mantra: "When I know I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I know I am everything, that is love". And for a time my chains of self diminished and I felt a loving nothingness. Sigh.

That mantra is a variant of Nisargadatta Maharaj's statement
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing,​
Love is knowing I am everything,​
and between the two my life moves.”​

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

They are closer...in Panama. I had an online friend from there who told me they can swim in the Atlantic and Pacific on the same day, with a short drive in between.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I get that 'awe' feeling from the Great Lakes. And if I can actually get in the water, I'm completely overwhelmed.

I didn't get that feeling from the Atlantic. I felt very small, and a bit 'unsheltered' when I approached the 'end of the land'. It just... stopped. Dropped off. It was somewhat boggling to me. Being in the water gave me that same 'unsheltered' feeling. While I enjoyed the Atlantic, it wasn't the same blissful feeling that the Great Lakes gives me.
I don’t get in the ocean these days, I’m just talking looking at them
Besides the Atlantic Ocean off of Maine is freezing. North Atlantic conveyor belt system brings water from the North Pole right along the coast

Shadow Wolf

And more. Working that hard for a goal is transferable to other goals.
Plus, it's Tetris so he's been exercising his brain for "3 to 5 hours a day." He's probably well primed for academics and sciences with that sort of mental processing and rapid evaluations of data that he does just for fun.

Shadow Wolf

Only game I've placed on a leader board is a Castlevania game (Harmony of Dispair). That I think is the only Castlevania with leaderboards, and placing is fun because you have to utilize various advanced tricks and get creative.
And from there it can become an a curious delight in programming, where it's found in many games that jumping on the exactly last pixel of something, like a box, will have various effects with a more common reaction being to take in the downward speed of the characters fall and convert it into a burst of speed that launches the character up and out.
Which to me affirms we are biomechanical machines, complete with quirks in the coding like the blind spot in our eyes where the optic nerve connects to the eye.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
On the other hand you could take out a loan on your next life, be born into debt, then die a second time without paying. Slick.

Shadow Wolf

Now I'm building a reputation of being a fine stabber of people. I haven't been cleared to do it un supervised yet and people want the Juggalette to stab em.