• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Enai de a lukal

I'm pretty sure you're just confused, but I'll be happy to listen if you'd like to make a case for the difference between knowing something and believing something.

It's the same difference as between trotting and jogging, yes?
:facepalm:
So in other words yes, you're just trolling. Clearly there's a difference between knowing that 2+2=4 and believing that, say, 2+2=5. Or knowing how to change a tire and not knowing (but believing, mistakenly, that you do). Or between knowing the capital of China and believing (again, perhaps mistakenly) what is the capital of China.

There's no need to make a case for such an obvious and fundamental difference, because doubting whether there is a difference between the two is nonsensical. (but, after all, we both know that you fully recognize and personally believe that knowledge and belief are not the same, and that you are simply trolling.)

AmbiguousGuy

If all you're going to do is troll, enaidealukal, I'm not interested in playing. I try to only get involved in serious debates.

Let me know if you'd like me to instruct you on the issue of belief vs. knowledge.

Start a new thread (but try to resist your urge to troll).

Enai de a lukal

You can't say, or you don't know how to spell it?

And how about we leave the 2nd grade nonsense to the younguns, and focus on what, if anything, you have to say about knowledge and belief (on the other thread, not here)?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Why "of course not"? They only seem unreasonable to us, because we know that there were no pink elephants, and his perception was not reliable at that time (although I can't imagine what sort of booze he was drinking to have hallucinations- I want some of that!). However, if he genuinely perceived pink elephants and (presumably) felt that his life was in danger, then defending himself would be perfectly reasonable- it was warranted given the information he had available to him at the time.

But we can recognize the cause of his hallucinations, they do not correlate to objective reality in any way (and I have no idea what he might have been drinking, it's a classic hallucinatory tale that everyone understands, that's why I used it). We can use any manner of drugs that produce hallucinations as well, do you honestly think any of the things the drug user sees actually exist?

pink-elephant.png

But this is a terrible example and is not analogous to religious belief- it is not as if atheists are able to somehow step out of the situation and see the matter with a birds-eye (or perhaps God's-eye) view and objectively determine what is the case here- as the sober person is in your example. Unlike the sober person, who knows that the man seeing pink elephants is drunk and hallucinating, atheists don't have any privileged access to the truth in this case. Even though we disagree with their judgment of the evidence, we cannot say that their belief is not the result of rational rather than emotional reasons.

Which is really irrelevant because very few theists ever claim to have direct, personal experience with God. At best, they attach "God" as a cause to an experience they have without having any demonstrable reason to do so. Pre-existing faith causes them to pick a cause which cannot be directly inferred from the experience itself.

Well, since they are eminently pertinent, as an obvious counter-example to your assertion, we sort of have to.

No, as they suffer the same problems as the theist religious experience. They cannot demonstrate that these things are actually true, they simply assert a cause, without evidence, and move on from that assumption.

Again, this is prima facie false. The reasons adduced by natural theology for belief in God are arguments, reasons- not appeals to emotion in any obvious sense at all. Tell me, what appeals to emotion does the cosmological argument make?

It appeals to the emotional desire of the believer for the argument to be true. It asserts, without evidence, that there is anything that "did not begin to exist" and further, at least in extended arguments, that such a cause is God. The Cosmological Argument is faulty on it's face, it makes assertions which cannot be demonstrated and even if it follows a logical form, it does not produce a logical conclusion.

And whether it is "true in reality" is not relevant- all that we're concerned with here is the basis or justification for holding the belief; not whether it is ultimately true. One can believe some rationally, and for rational rather than emotional reasons, and nevertheless be mistaken. These are not mutually exclusive.

No, it's completely relevant. The only rational justification for holding a belief is whether or not that belief is actually true. If the only rationalization you care about is whether or not the individual feels like it's true, then let's let all of the insane out of the asylums because I'm sure they all think their particular delusions are true. Who are we to say otherwise?

Besides, nobody said that any rational position is automatically true, the only things that are automatically true are things that are true, which is why people need to continually test their positions in light of new evidence to see if these beliefs continue to be the most likely answer to the particular question.

Well, then you have to abandon your previous claims about theist's motivations for belief in God. If you're concerned with what actually is the case, then the basis or motivation for a belief is not relevant. You need to make up your mind here.

In the end, the only thing that matters is whether the belief is true. However, there are some methodologies that demonstrably work better than others, that bring us closer to truth than others, that give us a means for weeding out falsehoods than others. Blind faith performs among the worst in every case. Just because someone wants something to be true, that doesn't make it true. They need to have more than that.

Enai de a lukal

But we can recognize the cause of his hallucinations...
...But he cannot, at least not at the time that he acts. Which is precisely the point I just made. We have access to information he doesn't have- which is why your characterization of his actions as unreasonable seems implausible. Given the information he has, his actions were arguably rationally warranted (although why one wouldn't try to run away if they honestly thought their life was in danger from pink elephants is beyond me)- he can hardly be faulted for not acting upon information he didn't have.

We can use any manner of drugs that produce hallucinations as well, do you honestly think any of the things the drug user sees actually exist?
I never said anything that implied this in the slightest.

Which is really irrelevant because very few theists ever claim to have direct, personal experience with God.
No, you mistake me- if your pink elephant analogy is a good one, this would mean that YOU have some privileged access to the truth of the matter- which, in this context, would amount to some sort of quasi-omniscience or something. But since you don't, the analogy is a bad one (unless perhaps you're claiming that you're clairvoyant) .

No, as they suffer the same problems as the theist religious experience. They cannot demonstrate that these things are actually true, they simply assert a cause, without evidence, and move on from that assumption.
Again, that's not the question. You've claimed that religious belief is held for only emotional reasons, rather than rational ones, not that religious claims cannot be sufficiently demonstrated. The latter claim is surely true, whereas your initial claim is not. Regardless of whether they can be satisfactorily proved, the arguments of natural theology are examples of rational, non-emotional justifications for religious belief.

It appeals to the emotional desire of the believer for the argument to be true.
That may be in certain cases, but this is speculation about someone's private, psychological motivations which you aren't in a position to evaluate. Many theists at least claim that they accept belief in the existence of God because they find, e.g. the design argument, to be compelling, and they are in a more credible position to corroborate their own motivations and states of mind than you are.

It asserts, without evidence, that there is anything that "did not begin to exist" and further, at least in extended arguments, that such a cause is God. The Cosmological Argument is faulty on it's face, it makes assertions which cannot be demonstrated and even if it follows a logical form, it does not produce a logical conclusion.
I'm fully aware of the arguments of natural theology and their many flaws, but I'm afraid whether or not they are sound isn't relevant to your claim. All that matters is whether they are instances of rational rather than emotional justifications for belief in God, and once again, they prima facie are and you've simply offered your bare assertion to the contrary.

The only rational justification for holding a belief is whether or not that belief is actually true.
You seem to be confusing rationality with infallibility. Being humans and not gods, we don't have direct access to the truth, but have to do the best we can with incomplete information. Not only can someone not be faulted for being fallible, this is simply not what "rational justification" refers to- a rational justification is a reason FOR believing that something is true, not the state of actually being in possession of the truth. These are separate items.

If the only rationalization you care about is whether or not the individual feels like it's true, then let's let all of the insane out of the asylums...
A strawman. I didn't say that simply thinking something is true counts as a rational justification- the point is that when we talk about the basis someone has for holding a belief, and whether or not it is rational, we are not so much asking whether their belief is actually true but whether they believe it on the basis of reasons, arguments- i.e. intellectual considerations- rather than how they feel (i.e. whether it makes them happy, secure, etc.).

Besides, nobody said that any rational position is automatically true
Indeed, least of all me- as I remarked, the man who reacts to what he thinks are a dangerous pack of brightly colored elephants may well be acting rationally, given the information he has, even though there are no pink elephants. Rational=/= true, but recall that your claim was that religious beliefs are always based on emotional rather than rational reasons, not that religious beliefs are generally not true (the latter claim is fairly accurate, the former claim not).

desideraht

Hellspawn
Honestly? I don't think there is a "one right religion". The right religion is the right religion for you. I also think whether or not religion is good or bad has to do with how a person uses it. If a person uses religion as a crutch and uses their beliefs as excuses to harm others, they are using it for Evil. If they use it as a life philosophy to better themselves and help others, then they are using it for Good.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Because He said Satanism was right for him. And you answered this to his reason for choosing Satanism - when your reasons are obviously no different then his.

My reasons are very different from his. However you would have no idea they are consistent with his even if you actually knew his reasons. What little he posted are very different than my reasons, almost counter to mine. Unless his or your assertions to what is right actually makes something right you have no argument at all. I am not responsible for justifying the questions I asked of one poster to another. I will end this discussion with a final comment. It is very telling that most of those who deny I have sufficient grounds for faith in God, but defend the sufficiency of the evidence to have faith in Satan. It is a Biblical doctrine that your all on the same camp and if that is true we should see exactly what I described. Not only is choosing wrong, wrong. Refusing to decide is still a choice and a wrong one according to the Bible. The reasons I originally asked were textual and do not require any defense from me.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You can't say, or you don't know how to spell it?

And how about we leave the 2nd grade nonsense to the younguns, and focus on what, if anything, you have to say about knowledge and belief (on the other thread, not here)?
I am only using this post to respond to for format reasons. I have a completely different discussion to initiate. You once said that my claim that much of what we claim to know or believe is true (perhaps most) is based at least in part on faith. Since I disagree with you but still value your opinions on philosophy I have a question. Since no other than Descartes said only the fact we think is knowable for certainty on what proof do you believe we are not brains in a vat somewhere being fed information that is not true for reasons we do not know of? Would not that fact make 99.9999999999999999% of what is known or thought to be, be based on faith to some extent?

Another issue I would like you to do but am not suggesting it as a common debate expectation is to review Craig, Lennox (pure mathematician professor from Oxford), and a Cambridge Physicist (forget his name) discussions on Hawking's origin of the universe book (Grand design). I have never agreed with your estimation of Craig but was unsure how to contest it. This discussion would be interesting to you and as I have seen it recently would make a good common ground to debate what Craig claims. You are under no obligations for this but I thought it a good method to resolve where Craig stands in the field of philosophy.

Last edited:

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
...But he cannot, at least not at the time that he acts. Which is precisely the point I just made. We have access to information he doesn't have- which is why your characterization of his actions as unreasonable seems implausible. Given the information he has, his actions were arguably rationally warranted (although why one wouldn't try to run away if they honestly thought their life was in danger from pink elephants is beyond me)- he can hardly be faulted for not acting upon information he didn't have.

But whether he has that information or not, he's still acting on hallucinations, bad brain chemistry. Whether the individual himself considers those actions unreasonable is really irrelevant, I'm sure he thinks them perfectly reasonable in his alcohol or drug induced state. I'm sure the guy who gets wasted on LSD and leaps off the top of a building thinks that action is perfectly reasonable too. The idea that just because a person has a particular set of beliefs, drug-induced or not, suddenly everything they do in their compromised state becomes a reasonable action, seems a bit absurd. It only works if you only view things from the perspective of the believer, not from the perspective of the outside world

I never said anything that implied this in the slightest.

You are arguing that being impaired makes the things one sees when impaired real to the viewer and their actions, therefore, reasonable, right?

No, you mistake me- if your pink elephant analogy is a good one, this would mean that YOU have some privileged access to the truth of the matter- which, in this context, would amount to some sort of quasi-omniscience or something. But since you don't, the analogy is a bad one (unless perhaps you're claiming that you're clairvoyant) .

How does that have anything whatsoever to do with what I said? I said very few theists *REPORT* having direct personal experiences with God. I don't have to be clairvoyant to listen to what they say.

Again, that's not the question. You've claimed that religious belief is held for only emotional reasons, rather than rational ones, not that religious claims cannot be sufficiently demonstrated. The latter claim is surely true, whereas your initial claim is not. Regardless of whether they can be satisfactorily proved, the arguments of natural theology are examples of rational, non-emotional justifications for religious belief.

If there are two choices, an emotional reason and an intellectual reason, which one more closely matches what we see in the religious? Certainly it's the emotional, you don't see anyone performing scientific tests to find God, you don't find people trying to scientifically demonstrate miracles, the entire Bible is nothing but an emotional appeal, not a rational one.

That's not to say that otherwise rational people can't believe in gods, just that they give up their rationality when they do so. Take the head of the CDC, Dr. Francis Collins, is a genius in every sense of the word, but when he went out into the woods and saw a waterfall frozen into three parts, he somehow took that as a sign that God is real and converted to Christianity. That was not a rational decision by any means.

That may be in certain cases, but this is speculation about someone's private, psychological motivations which you aren't in a position to evaluate. Many theists at least claim that they accept belief in the existence of God because they find, e.g. the design argument, to be compelling, and they are in a more credible position to corroborate their own motivations and states of mind than you are.

But those are really awful arguments, they are, at best, an argument from ignorance, they cannot come up with an explanation they like better, therefore they demand "Goddidit". All of those apologetic arguments are utterly empty because they just assert God, they don't actually demonstrate God. You could take the same design argument and, without changing anything else, say "Mickey Mouse did it!" and it would make just as much sense. They take God as a foregone conclusion when nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, this just demonstrates that these arguments themselves are not rational, they're emotional in nature.

I'm fully aware of the arguments of natural theology and their many flaws, but I'm afraid whether or not they are sound isn't relevant to your claim. All that matters is whether they are instances of rational rather than emotional justifications for belief in God, and once again, they prima facie are and you've simply offered your bare assertion to the contrary.

But again, they are not rational. They are asserting the conclusion, not demonstrating it. We could have "Natural MickeyMouseology" with the same claims and not have it be any different. When you can fill in any idea at the conclusion and not significantly change the claim, it proves the claim is irrational on it's face.

You seem to be confusing rationality with infallibility. Being humans and not gods, we don't have direct access to the truth, but have to do the best we can with incomplete information. Not only can someone not be faulted for being fallible, this is simply not what "rational justification" refers to- a rational justification is a reason FOR believing that something is true, not the state of actually being in possession of the truth. These are separate items.

Not at all. You can be rational and still be wrong. Science is full of ideas that were arrived at wholly rationally, yet turned out to be false when new data came to light. What matters isn't so much the conclusion that you come to, but how you arrive there. Do you take the evidence that actually exists and follow it wherever it leads or do you come up with a conclusion that you like and then cherry pick the evidence to make that conclusion seem more likely? The former is what science does, the latter is what religion does. It also requires that you be willing to change your conclusion should evidence that contradicts it become available. Religion does not do that.

A strawman. I didn't say that simply thinking something is true counts as a rational justification- the point is that when we talk about the basis someone has for holding a belief, and whether or not it is rational, we are not so much asking whether their belief is actually true but whether they believe it on the basis of reasons, arguments- i.e. intellectual considerations- rather than how they feel (i.e. whether it makes them happy, secure, etc.).

But that's exactly where your arguments lead. If someone feels, for whatever reason, that their beliefs are justified, then as far as you're concerned, they are. If Muslims want to believe Mohammed rode away on the back of a winged horse, it's fine! They want to believe it so it's justified! If Christians want to believe that Jesus came back from the dead, it's great! They want to believe it so it's justified! But if you take that exact same means of thinking and apply it outside of the religious mindset, most people will think it's ridiculous. We give religion far too much leeway. If you claim to hear voices, they'll fit you for one of those nice white coats with the arms that tie in the back... unless you claim it's GOD talking to you, then you're okay.

Indeed, least of all me- as I remarked, the man who reacts to what he thinks are a dangerous pack of brightly colored elephants may well be acting rationally, given the information he has, even though there are no pink elephants. Rational=/= true, but recall that your claim was that religious beliefs are always based on emotional rather than rational reasons, not that religious beliefs are generally not true (the latter claim is fairly accurate, the former claim not).

I agree, I've said so several times. However, rationality is a methodology, not a desire. The drunk guy, upon coming out of his inebriated state, would have to consider why he saw pink elephants. If he still holds that he saw them, he's not being rational. If he rejects them as a manifestation of his intoxication, based on what we know about alcohol's effects on brain chemistry, he is. Yet we get theists and theist accomodationists who refuse to ever ask themselves if these beliefs are rational, they refuse to ever test the beliefs, critically evaluate their beliefs or dare to look at the facts. They just want to feel good. They are always for emotional reasons, they have never applied rationality to their beliefs to see if they stand up to critical evaluation. The same is true of the drunk, he looks at the pink elephant and reacts emotionally, he doesn't stop to think "is what I think I'm seeing real?"

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Because He said Satanism was right for him. And you answered this to his reason for choosing Satanism - when your reasons are obviously no different then his.
My reasons are very different from his. However you would have no idea they are consistent with his even if you actually knew his reasons. What little he posted are very different than my reasons, almost counter to mine. Unless his or your assertions to what is right actually makes something right you have no argument at all. I am not responsible for justifying the questions I asked of one poster to another. I will end this discussion with a final comment. It is very telling that most of those who deny I have sufficient grounds for faith in God, but defend the sufficiency of the evidence to have faith in Satan. It is a Biblical doctrine that your all on the same camp and if that is true we should see exactly what I described. Not only is choosing wrong, wrong. Refusing to decide is still a choice and a wrong one according to the Bible. The reasons I originally asked were textual and do not require any defense from me.

No, your reasons are not different. You both reasoned it out, came to conclusions - then made your choices. You just don't like his conclusions and choices.

1. - there is no proof for ANY god.

2. - I do not know if he worships Satan or not. Most Satanists today do not believe in Satan as a god.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No, your reasons are not different. You both reasoned it out, came to conclusions - then made your choices. You just don't like his conclusions and choices.

1. - there is no proof for ANY god.

2. - I do not know if he worships Satan or not. Most Satanists today do not believe in Satan as a god.

They are very different but you would have no idea even if they weren't because neither of us went into anything beyond the scantiest details concerning it.

I found something to be true that I did not wish to be but gave in to truth because it was true even though that truth was inconvenient). There is no way to see if Satan exists for a certainty and he said he chose it because it worked for him (he liked it). These are polar opposites. They are not even similar and making equal what is unequal is an epidemic on your side, not to mention that complaining about what is perfectly reasonable to ask in a debate forum is invalid anyway. You do not have to agree but IMO the emotional foundation for 90% of your comments is obvious.

Enai de a lukal

\You once said that my claim that much of what we claim to know or believe is true (perhaps most) is based at least in part on faith. Since I disagree with you but still value your opinions on philosophy I have a question. Since no other than Descartes said only the fact we think is knowable for certainty on what proof do you believe we are not brains in a vat somewhere being fed information that is not true for reasons we do not know of?
Ah, Descartes- simultaneously one of our greatest minds and one to whom we owe the most confusion; the Cartesian ego, the Cartesian theater, mind/body dualism and naive foundationalism. As it happens, Descartes wanted to say we could know other things with certainty, including our "clear and distinct impressions/perceptions" because, basically, Descartes felt that God is a nice guy and wouldn't deceive us, but that's sort of an academic footnote. RE your question, certainty as a criteria for knowledge is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for knowledge since, one can be psychologically certain, and nevertheless mistaken, and one can know something and not be entirely certain. The fact is that, if certainty is our criteria, there is precious little we truly know- we couldn't know anything save the tautologies of logic and mathematics since a posteriori/synthetic claims (i.e. factual claims which are not logical truths) always have the possibility of being false.

Would not that fact make 99.9999999999999999% of what is known or thought to be, be based on faith to some extent?
The operative clause here being "to some extent"- and the extent to which belief in sensory evidence or the claims of science require "faith" is much different from the extent required by religious claims. Thus, the dichotomy between certain knowledge and belief as faith is a false dilemma- these are not the only options, this obscures all the middle-ground between the two. The epistemic leap- the "leap of faith" required to believe, e.g. that the sun will rise tomorrow, is not the same as the leap required by religious propositions, thus we're using the word "faith" somewhat equivocally- in other words, faith that the sun will rise tomorrow and faith that Christ rose from the dead are not the same type of faith. The former only requires "faith" in that, while warranted by the evidence, the conclusion is not a necessary truth (thus, it is logically possible, albeit extremely unlikely, that it is false), whereas the latter requires faith in the robust sense because the conclusion is NOT warranted by the evidence. And arguably, even using the word "faith" in the former context is to do violence to language.

The crucial difference between correct belief and knowledge is not certainty, but warrant- and this is what distinguishes religious faith from "faith" in science or the senses.

And RE (the possibility infinite regress of) epistemic warrant, there has been a recent return to foundationalism following the later work of Wittgenstein, revolving around the notion of hinge propositions or epistemic bedrock- that the language-games (linguistic practices) we engage in have certain presuppositions which cannot meaningfully be doubted within those language-games. These include foundational beliefs that underlie all our language-use such as, arguaby, the fact that I have a body, that my identity is continuous, etc.

Another issue I would like you to do but am not suggesting it as a common debate expectation is to review Craig, Lennox (pure mathematician professor from Oxford), and a Cambridge Physicist (forget his name) discussions on Hawking's origin of the universe book (Grand design). I have never agreed with your estimation of Craig but was unsure how to contest it. This discussion would be interesting to you and as I have seen it recently would make a good common ground to debate what Craig claims. You are under no obligations for this but I thought it a good method to resolve where Craig stands in the field of philosophy.
Is there a source online you could direct me to for these discussions?

Enai de a lukal

But whether he has that information or not, he's still acting on hallucinations, bad brain chemistry. Whether the individual himself considers those actions unreasonable is really irrelevant, I'm sure he thinks them perfectly reasonable in his alcohol or drug induced state.
And that's not all. Given the information he has, his actions appear to be reasonable not only in his own mind, but from where I sit. If I thought I saw a pink elephant coming after me, I would react accordingly. Doing otherwise is what would be unreasonable. In any case, if you're now saying that the mark of unreason is "acting on... bad brain chemistry" then I'd say you're moving the goalposts and that this is ad hoc.

You are arguing that being impaired makes the things one sees when impaired real to the viewer and their actions, therefore, reasonable, right?
No.

How does that have anything whatsoever to do with what I said? I said very few theists *REPORT* having direct personal experiences with God. I don't have to be clairvoyant to listen to what they say.
No, but you have to be clairvoyant for your analogy with the drunk person to hold. Just as the sober person has privileged information about the fact of the matter pertaining to the elephants, if you're claiming that the religious person is like the man who sees elephants, then you must have some privileged access to the truth of the matter (i.e. the existence of God).

If there are two choices, an emotional reason and an intellectual reason, which one more closely matches what we see in the religious?
What makes you think it is one or the other in every case? Why not suppose that some religious folks are religious for emotional reasons (such as consolation in the face of a tragedy) and others for intellectual or rational reasons, particularly when this is precisely what it looks like is the case?

Certainly it's the emotional, you don't see anyone performing scientific tests to find God, you don't find people trying to scientifically demonstrate miracles, the entire Bible is nothing but an emotional appeal, not a rational one.
Actually, you do see that. That's mostly what apologetics and natural theology consists in- not "scientific tests" in the sense of performing experiments in the laboratory, but critically examining evidence and performing conceptual analyses, just as secular and naturalistic thinkers do.

That's not to say that otherwise rational people can't believe in gods, just that they give up their rationality when they do so.
Painting with broad strokes makes it impossible to get the details right. You realize that there is a very large diversity of religious claims, right? What of the Four Noble Truths- must one "give up their rationality" to believe that they are true?

But those are really awful arguments, they are, at best, an argument from ignorance, they cannot come up with an explanation they like better, therefore they demand "Goddidit".
Irrelevant.

All of those apologetic arguments are utterly empty because they just assert God, they don't actually demonstrate God. You could take the same design argument and, without changing anything else, say "Mickey Mouse did it!" and it would make just as much sense. They take God as a foregone conclusion when nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, this just demonstrates that these arguments themselves are not rational, they're emotional in nature.
No, it doesn't. For one thing, any deductive argument must include its conclusion in its premises, else it would have to be logically invalid. Are you saying that every deductive argument (i.e. as in logic and mathematics) is emotional? And as above, our ultimate assessment of the soundness of the argument is irrelevant to whether it is an example of rational rather than emotional justification.

But again, they are not rational. They are asserting the conclusion, not demonstrating it. We could have "Natural MickeyMouseology" with the same claims and not have it be any different. When you can fill in any idea at the conclusion and not significantly change the claim, it proves the claim is irrational on it's face.
Since you're all over the place with your usage of "rational", perhaps it would be useful for you to come right out and tell us exactly how you are defining this term.

But that's exactly where your arguments lead.
Then you aren't understanding my arguments. I'm not saying that all religious beliefs are justified provided someone believes their beliefs are justified. And I haven't been talking about whether they are justified or not as in, admit of sufficient justification- I'm saying that the type of justification (right or wrong) for religious belief is not always emotional. And saying that ones justification is rational rather than emotional does not imply that their justification is sufficient, nor does it entail that their belief is correct.