• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The right belief for me probably isn't right for someone else. And I'm fine with it because I don't have The Truth, as IMO, there's no such thing.
I agree with you on this one illykitty. Truth is vastly over-rated. I'm too busy living to be overly concerned with wondering what I am doing is right or wrong."Truth" is relative to the understanding of the individual.

Benoni

I agree with you on this one illykitty. Truth is vastly over-rated. I'm too busy living to be overly concerned with wondering what I am doing is right or wrong."Truth" is relative to the understanding of the individual.
Truth is why we are here and why we were created. I have a very busy life myself and I am retired but that does not stop me for searching for the deep things of God.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Truth is why we are here and why we were created. I have a very busy life myself and I am retired but that does not stop me for searching for the deep things of God.
One human animal's "depth" is another human animal's "superficial pond skimming". ;)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
You don't seem to understand, or be able to answer, simple questions from people.

YOU yourself said MAN'S RELIGIOUS BELIEFS - PREVENT - us from seeing.

When I point out that YOU - too - are pushing - YOUR VERSION - of a MAN MADE religious belief - -

You foolishly answer with a reply containing the word SCRIPTURE = which is man made religious dogma! And on top of that - man-made dogma - you add your own peculiar Benoni-Man-Made version!

The religions of Abraham are no different then any other MAN-MADE religion.
If you do not believe in God's Word then you really do not have anything worth while to say what is truth about God's Word. I am speaking to believers who say they believe something but cannot back it up with God's Word. If that Benoni's version then so be it. At least my foundation is God's Word

What is your foundation? Self. Go for it. You are so passionate about something you could careless about.

LOL! There you go again. That is funny.

Man-Made-Religion= BAD!

BUT- Benoni's-Man-Made-Religion=Good.

Which God's word? There are many Man-Made-Religions. Christianity is just one of them.

You have no way of knowing it is actually God's word. That is just your belief.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe you are implying knowledge that you do not have.

God has made it quite clear that the gospel will be preached to everyone. The person is responsible for believing God despite whatever traditions he was brought up in.

Hey, I'm honestly a bit confused by your post, as I've heard various versions of this sentiment, with differing meanings.
If we looked historically, would you be of the opinion that an indigenous Australian (say 300 years ago) was responsible for believing in God?

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:
The God of the Bible cannot exist since it would not make any sense for God to ask people to love him since he can only do good things. In another thread, you said that God did not have to create humans, but that is not a good argument. First of all, Craig, Moreland, and Aquinas basically said that God is the greatest possible being, and cannot improve. That means that God's nature compels him to always do the best possible thing, and creating humans was one of the best possible things that God has done. God must not only do good things since that is his nature, but he must also do particular good things. Otherwise, all good things would be equal, but of course, they are not all equal. Refusing to do good things would be against God's nature.

1robin said:
Tell that to the 3 out of every four people in history that have thought he made perfect sense.

What you said has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said. Even if 99% of the people in the world were Christians, my arguments would still be valid.

You have claimed that God did not have to create humans, but he certainly did since that was part of his nature, and he has to always act according to his nature. Even sinful, fallible, imperfect humans are often compelled by their conscience to do good things, not only good things, but particular good things. An omnibenevolent God would be far more compelled by his conscience to do good things, including particular good things. Surely God must always do the best possible good thing since all good things are obviously not equal.

Agnostic75 said:
Second, after God created humans, his nature also required him to provide many things for them, such as food, eternal life, and keeping his promises, so creating humans alone was not a good thing without those other things. Some babies are born with serious birth defects, suffer a lot for a few days, and then die. Merely being born would not be helpful to those babies if God did not provide them with anything else.

1robin said:
Whatever conditions or arrangements were justified before the fall were not after.

Justification is irrelevant to the valid argument that God has always had to do the best possible thing before, and after the fall. God had to create humans since he always has to do the best possible thing. Even if he didn't have to create humans, after he created them he definitely had to make some kinds of provisions for their survival, and well-being. John 3:16 says that God sent Jesus to the earth because he "so loved the world," and the Bible says that angels rejoice when people get saved. Such love by an omnibenevolent being must by necessity be manifested not only by doing good things, but also by doing specific good things.

Logically, no being is admirable if he does not have the option not to be admirable, and must always do what he does. Morality has no meaning without choice. Choice implies options. God never chooses to do good things since he must always do good things. The notion that an omniscient, omnibenevolent being would ask people to love him is preposterous, and illogical since that would be deceptive, and an omnibenevolent being would not be able to be deceptive. A God might exist, but surely not the God of the Bible.

Another excellent reason why the God of the Bible cannot exist is that a loving, fair, worthy, and just God would not set up a system where he would deny eternal life to some people based upon where they lived. For example, South Korea is one of the most heavily evangelized countries in the world, and has the largest Christian church in the world by far. Education and media are advanced. Surely many non-Christians who live in South Korea could not claim ignorance of the Bible, and it would be illogical for anyone to claim that all of them, or even the majority of them have not been properly evangelized. Surely many non-Christian South Koreans have Christian family members, or friends, who have discussed the Bible at length with them many times. From a Christian perspective, those non-Christians would not have eternal life if they died today. Logically, it is a given that at least some of those South Korean non-Christians would have become Christians if they had been raised in the U.S.

It is important to note that it is a given that at least some American non-Christians would have become Christians if they had been raised in South Korea.

Last edited:

Benoni

Man-Made-Religion= BAD!

Which God's word? There are many Man-Made-Religions. Christianity is just one of them.

Sorry.. its not my made religion seeing that is all you have hate to pop your bubble. There are thousands of God people who believe just the way i do. Plus the fact there is no religious system that controls us. Just the Spirit of truth. To have man made religion you need men to lead it and control it.

kjw47

Sorry.. its not my made religion seeing that is all you have hate to pop your bubble. There are thousands of God people who believe just the way i do. Plus the fact there is no religious system that controls us. Just the Spirit of truth. To have man made religion you need men to lead it and control it.

true followers-- disown themselves in this lifetime-Matt 16:24-- for the purpose of living 24/7 to do Gods will, just as Jesus did. One cannot possibly find the spirit of truth unless they learn all of Jesus' truths and apply them. There are few living who know those truths.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:

Man-Made-Religion= BAD!

LOL! Again, very-very funny!

You spout the above - "there is no religious system that controls us" and "To have man made religion you need men to lead it and control it." and then, YOU become that Man, and post "YOUR" BENONI-MAN-MADE religion, with those very MAN MADE scriptures.

It really is quite funny.

Benoni

LOL! Again, very-very funny!

You spout the above - "there is no religious system that controls us" and "To have man made religion you need men to lead it and control it." and then, YOU become that Man, and post "YOUR" BENONI-MAN-MADE religion, with those very MAN MADE scriptures.

It really is quite funny.

Believe what ever you want. You sure are angry you cannot debate me so all you have left is personal attacks

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:
The God of the Bible cannot exist since it would not make any sense for God to ask people to love him since he can only do good things. In another thread, you said that God did not have to create humans, but that is not a good argument. First of all, Craig, Moreland, and Aquinas basically said that God is the greatest possible being, and cannot improve. That means that God's nature compels him to always do the best possible thing, and creating humans was one of the best possible things that God has done. God must not only do good things since that is his nature, but he must also do particular good things. Otherwise, all good things would be equal, but of course, they are not all equal. Refusing to do good things would be against God's nature.

1robin said:
Tell that to the 3 out of every four people in history that have thought he made perfect sense.

What you said has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said. Even if 99% of the people in the world were Christians, my arguments would still be valid.

You have claimed that God did not have to create humans, but he certainly did since that was part of his nature, and he has to always act according to his nature. Even sinful, fallible, imperfect humans are often compelled by their conscience to do good things, not only good things, but particular good things. An omnibenevolent God would be far more compelled by his conscience to do good things, including particular good things. Surely God must always do the best possible good thing since all good things are obviously not equal.
Agnostic75 said:
Second, after God created humans, his nature also required him to provide many things for them, such as food, eternal life, and keeping his promises, so creating humans alone was not a good thing without those other things. Some babies are born with serious birth defects, suffer a lot for a few days, and then die. Merely being born would not be helpful to those babies if God did not provide them with anything else.

1robin said:
Whatever conditions or arrangements were justified before the fall were not after.

Justification is irrelevant to the valid argument that God has always had to do the best possible thing before, and after the fall. God had to create humans since he always has to do the best possible thing. Even if he didn't have to create humans, after he created them he definitely had to make some kinds of provisions for their survival, and well-being. John 3:16 says that God sent Jesus to the earth because he "so loved the world," and the Bible says that angels rejoice when people get saved. Such love by an omnibenevolent being must by necessity be manifested not only by doing good things, but also by doing specific good things.

Logically, no being is admirable if he does not have the option not to be admirable, and must always do what he does. Morality has no meaning without choice. Choice implies options. God never chooses to do good things since he must always do good things. The notion that an omniscient, omnibenevolent being would ask people to love him is preposterous, and illogical since that would be deceptive, and an omnibenevolent being would not be able to be deceptive. A God might exist, but surely not the God of the Bible.

Another excellent reason why the God of the Bible cannot exist is that a loving, fair, worthy, and just God would not set up a system where he would deny eternal life to some people based upon where they lived. For example, South Korea is one of the most heavily evangelized countries in the world, and has the largest Christian church in the world by far. Education and media are advanced. Surely many non-Christians who live in South Korea could not claim ignorance of the Bible, and it would be illogical for anyone to claim that all of them, or even the majority of them have not been properly evangelized. Surely many non-Christian South Koreans have Christian family members, or friends, who have discussed the Bible at length with them many times. From a Christian perspective, those non-Christians would not have eternal life if they died today. Logically, it is a given that at least some of those South Korean non-Christians would have become Christians if they had been raised in the U.S.

It is also a given that although a much higher percentage of people in the U.S. are Christians than in South Korea, at least some skeptics in the U.S. would have become Christians if they had been raised in South Korea. That is partly true because everyone has different abilities to persuade other people, and some South Korean Christians would be able to persuade American skeptics better than American Christians could. Surely all of the best persuaders in the world do not live in the U.S.

How do you account for the fact that women are much more likely to be creationists than men are? This suggest a person's gender would at least sometimes affect what they believe.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
believe what ever you want. You sure are angry you cannot debate me so all you have left is personal attacks

lol! Not!

You say things, and then contradict yourself. It is quite amusing.

I am just pointing out those contradictions.

Last edited:

jetson

there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

Right religion would be one: That has love for everyone, peace with his God, peace with fellow man, not try to force his beliefs on others, by threats or body harm, share his faith with others, concern for their eternal life, and if they don't won't to believe, leave them alone. Only one I see, that fits this scenario is Gospel of Jesus Christ

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The right belief for me probably isn't right for someone else. And I'm fine with it because I don't have The Truth, as IMO, there's no such thing.
Then that statement was untrue as well I guess. Wrong beliefs carried or expounded on long enough eventually and irrevocably produce these types of self destructive contradictions. Being right is much less trouble than disentangling your self from these logical train wrecks constantly.

AmbiguousGuy

Then that statement was untrue as well I guess. Wrong beliefs carried or expounded on long enough eventually and irrevocably produce these types of self destructive contradictions.

There's no contradiction in what IllyKitty said. You are just having some difficulty with the language, I think.

Enai de a lukal

Right religion would be one: That has love for everyone, peace with his God, peace with fellow man, not try to force his beliefs on others, by threats or body harm, share his faith with others, concern for their eternal life, and if they don't won't to believe, leave them alone...

And now for the punchline-

Only one I see, that fits this scenario is Gospel of Jesus Christ

Buh-dum-cshh!

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes a good parable, but Jesus maybe the current guide for that time, but he is not now, also what Jesus said can be taken in many ways, its how you see what he supposedly said. There is not just one bridge, there are many, don't cling to just one bridge, there are new bridges made every day, I have made mine, and you must make yours.

I believe the essence of Christianity is that Jesus is the best guide now because He is God in the flesh which makes Him all knowing and because He is good. Mohammed can't guide anyone now because he is dead, The Buddha can't guide you now because he is dead. Moses can't guide you now because he is dead. However the Spirit of God neveer dies.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hey, I'm honestly a bit confused by your post, as I've heard various versions of this sentiment, with differing meanings.
If we looked historically, would you be of the opinion that an indigenous Australian (say 300 years ago) was responsible for believing in God?

I believe so.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Then that statement was untrue as well I guess. Wrong beliefs carried or expounded on long enough eventually and irrevocably produce these types of self destructive contradictions. Being right is much less trouble than disentangling your self from these logical train wrecks constantly.

I believe sometimes the truth is that I am not right.

I believe a lack of truth allows a person to think all kinds of cotradictory things. Fortunately for us who believe in The Truth, we will always be consistent.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There's no contradiction in what IllyKitty said. You are just having some difficulty with the language, I think.
The statement that there is no truth is a self contradictory statement or at least one that has inherent contradictions behind it. It is kind of a joke among philosophers and goes back to the famous paradox of Epimenides' "all Cretans are liars".