• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In the OT, the tetragrammation (YHWH-Yahweh) does apply to Jesus, as well as the title Lord (Adonai) when He was in His pre-incarnate glorious state. Read Isaiah 6:1-8 and then John 12:41.
You're right, it does. Most people don't recognize that fact.

Shermana

Heretic
The Tetragrammaton never applies to Jesus, and if you want to get into John 8:58, it technically says at face value "Before Abraham will exist, I am". That's why you have to understand the tenses issue there.

Also, even if you translate Nahum as "YHWH is a god", that makes perfect sense, considering he is the "god of the gods"

The title "lord" is hardly exclusive to the most high god, apparently David was called "lord".

Mark2020

John 1:18a is "a god no man has seen".
Again, that's desperate.
This is a sentence without predicate.

Matthew 1:1 can be easily read as "A book". Like "A post by Shermana". "A Warner Bros film".

Matthew 2:21 the best equivalent would be "Israel country" like "Now you're in farm country".
That's very poor Greek!
Study the genitive case!!!

As for "From the astrologers", the Greek grammar is "From of the astrologers" in such context.

That's even much much poorer Greek!!!
Where have you learnt Greek by the way?
Clearly you can see that "Master of the harvest" uses it as "of the".
Not the point. Read better.

Shermana

Heretic
John 1:18 is not necessarily the start of a new sentence, it's quite a controversial verse in how to interpret it, it's also controversial in the manuscript differences. I appreciate the fact that you think calling my response "poor Greek" is a sufficient reply.

When you say "Not the point", that was your own example, what was the point then?

Mark2020

The Tetragrammaton never applies to Jesus, and if you want to get into John 8:58, it technically says at face value "Before Abraham will exist, I am".
I've already explained this to you...
Don't make me quote old posts.
This is the correct one:
(John 8:58 [NIV]) I tell you the truth, Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Also, even if you translate Nahum as "YHWH is a god", that makes perfect sense, considering he is the "god of the gods"
lol
Now you're saying YHWH is a god.

Shermana

Heretic
Repeating yourself is not a way to disprove what I said.

Yes, YHWH is a god, the "god of the gods", the King god. Anything less is unscriptural and a misuse of the word "god". That's the whole point of using the Article for him in most cases. Do you know what "god" means?

Mark2020

John 1:18 is not necessarily the start of a new sentence, it's quite a controversial verse in how to interpret it, it's also controversial in the manuscript differences.
Please try not to look that desperate. This has nothing to do with the start of the verse. Whether theos or uios are used, this has nothing to do with the first part.

I appreciate the fact that you think calling my response "poor Greek" is a sufficient reply.
I think you should study the genitive case and probably the definite articles. The translations you gave are pretty funny.

When you say "Not the point", that was your own example, what was the point then?
You said that the genitive meant of the. Why then is there των ?

Shermana

Heretic
Please try not to look that desperate. This has nothing to do with the start of the verse. Whether theos or uios are used, this has nothing to do with the first part.

Did you forget what you just said about such a rendition would make the sentence awkward by itself?

I think you should study the genitive case and probably the definite articles. The translations you gave are pretty funny.

Calling them funny is not a substitute for disproving what I say.

You said that the genitive meant of the. Why then is there των ?

Because of the difference in subject and case. Compare :

(Matthew 9:38 [NWT]) Therefore, beg the Master of the harvest ...
(Matthew 9:38 [TR]) δεηθητε ουν του κυριου του θερισμου ...

to

Matthew 13:30 N-GMS

"Let both grow together until the harvest and in the time of harvest"
BIB: ἕως τοῦ θερισμοῦ· καὶ ἐν
NAS: until the harvest; and in the time

Why is it used here? "Until of the harvest" apparently has the same context of "Lord of the harvest", strange...at first.

Shermana

Heretic
YHWH is a god? I thought there was only one. Huh.

Please quote Psalms 136:2 and please state the definition of "god".

Do you remember when I asked you if you disagreed with the NLT version of 2 Cor 4:4?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Do I need to?
You're doing a pretty good job disproving yourself.
You're saying YHWH is a god.
What happened to your anarthrous issue then?

What part about Psalm 136:2 do you want to ignore particularly? I don't understand why that would relate to the Anarthrous issue. Yashua is a god, and YHWH is a god, though he is the "god of the gods". Again, I ask, do you know what the word "god" actually means?

It seems you totally ignored what I mentioned the use of the article for in the first place.

Last edited:

Mark2020

Did you forget what you just said about such a rendition would make the sentence awkward by itself?

I said your translation is the poor one. Here is the proper one:
No one has ever seen God

Calling them funny is not a substitute for disproving what I say.
Actually if you do some study yourself, you'll see that.

Because of the difference in subject and case. Compare :
There isn't difference in case.
You look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Shermana

Heretic
If no one has ever seen G-d, apparently Moses was lying. Apparently Adam never actually heard and saw G-d in the garden either. It's "A god no one has ever seen".

Apparently there's no difference in case of "Until the harvest comes" from "Lord of the harvest", fascinating.

Last edited:

javajo

Please quote Psalms 136:2 and please state the definition of "god".

Do you remember when I asked you if you disagreed with the NLT version of 2 Cor 4:4?
While I don't know what the NLT version is, I am familiar with both verses. Notice, there is but one God, capital G, but many 'gods', small g. Now are these actual gods or do people make them gods? Satan is 'god' of this world in a sense at this moment, but God is really in control. We know that idols are not real gods, as there is only one and he doesn't live in wood and stone. These are demons. Satan and the demons are fallen angels whom God created, they aren't really Gods, they are made gods by people worshiping them. There's only one God.

Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
1 Cor. 8:4b-6, Gal. 4:8

What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 1 Cor. 10:19-21

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Do you know why the article is used for G-d in the first place? Why don't you actually quote Psalm 136:2. There's only one MOST HIGH god. There's only one "god of Israel". In Exodus, it states each nation had an appointed "god" to watch over them, aka angels. (Again, the Septuagint translates "Elohim" as "Angels" in Psalm 8:5), and that Jacob was the Most High's share. Angels are called gods. Even fallen angels are called gods. That's why the Evil one is called a "god". There's only one Most High god. Genesis clearly uses the word "Elohim" for angels even.

Notice what Paul says, in detail
as there be gods many, and lords many,)
Just as there are many "lords", there are in fact many "gods", even if many are false idols, there are still many gods and lords. But the Most high is the "god of the gods".

It would help if you actually knew the meaning of the word "god'>

Last edited: