• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity

javajo

God created the Devil and his angels, they are only created beings, not God. God begat Jesus, who is God, a person of the Trinity. Three persons, one essence.

Shermana

Heretic
God created the Devil and his angels, they are only created beings, not God. God begat Jesus, who is God, a person of the Trinity. Three persons, one essence.

Apparently you really don't want to answer the question: "What is the meaning of the word god". Neither does Mark2020. Neither do you want to address why the Article is used for Him. Also, Jesus was created as well, the First of all Creation. (Prototokos actually means "First-thing/time" rather than "Firstborn", it is used as "Firstborn" in context though).

javajo

Apparently you really don't want to answer the question: "What is the meaning of the word god". Neither does Mark2020. Neither do you want to address why the Article is used for Him. Also, Jesus was created as well, the First of all Creation. (Prototokos actually means "First-thing/time" rather than "Firstborn", it is used as "Firstborn" in context though).
There are many definitions of "god" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/god). But there is only one God.

Shermana

Heretic
There are many definitions of "god". But there is only one God.

Why don't you get into some of these many definitions, what is the actual Biblical Hebrew definition of "god"? Why is the article used? A dictionary definition is one thing, now how about the actual biblical Hebrew meaning?

(Hint: Root word is Ayel, meaning "Superior one/Strong one".)

Last edited:

Mark2020

MOST HIGH god. I caught that, too. Hey, its God, capital G.
Can you call 911 for him?
He even said
YHVH is a god

I think it's about time they stop mentioning this silly "anarthrous issue".
Otherwise, that's what they will be saying:
YHVH is a god

Shermana

Heretic
How am I Changing the subject by asking you to define the word "god" in Biblical terms? With the same amount of time you could have easily posted such. I appreciate you acting as if I had made no argument.

Mark2020

How am I Changing the subject by asking you to define the word "god" in Biblical terms? With the same amount of time you could have easily posted such. I appreciate you acting as if I had made no argument.

You're in a big hole now and you should explain why the anarthrous theos is used for YHVH.

After reading tens of your boring posts about rendering:
John 1:1c as "and the Word was a god." for lacking the definite article.
Now you say that "
YHVH is a god"

Can someone else see the irony?

Shermana

Heretic
What part about Psalm 136:2 calling him "god of the gods" didn't you understand? Why do you skip the issue of the very use of the article to begin with? Do I need to count how many times you've jumped from that one? There's a reason you absolutely refuse to answer my question of what the Hebrew meaning of the word "god" is and then act as if I'm changing the subject.

Mark2020

What part about Psalm 136:2 calling him "god of the gods" didn't you understand? Why do you skip the issue of the very use of the article to begin with? Do I need to count how many times you've jumped from that one? There's a reason you absolutely refuse to answer my question of what the Hebrew meaning of the word "god" is and then act as if I'm changing the subject.

It has nothing to do with the anarthous theos:
YHVH is a god

You are trying to change the subject.
Do not ask me questions. Mention your argument.
You are not going to get out of this hole by asking questions. You need to do a little more than that.
Can you mention your argument already? Or you will still try to change the subject?

Shermana

Heretic
It's quite simple. If YHWH, who is a god, is called "The god", that means he's still "a god". You can't be "The" of something without being "A" something. You can't be the "most high god" without other gods to be the most high to. However, with the article, which is used mostly for him unless it says "the god of" which is a different case, it becomes "The god" as the standarized way of saying "god above all gods", that's the purpose of the article which you seem to avoid each time, even if he is the "god of the gods". Angels are called "gods". The evil one is called a "god". There's a reason you refuse to get into the biblical meaning of the word "god" because it proves you wrong.

Once you accept the Biblical Hebrew meaning of the word "god", you'll realize why the "god of the gods" is a god, greater than all other "gods" and why a lesser god is still "a god". Quite simple.

Last edited:

Mark2020

(Nahum 1:2 [LXX]) θεος ζηλωτης και εκδικων κυριος
(Nahum 1:2 [NWT]) Jehovah is a God exacting exclusive devotion and taking vengeance
(Nahum 1:2 [HiSB]) אֵ֣ל קַנּ֤וֹא וְנֹקֵם֙ יְהוָ֔ה ..

YHVH is θεος? Anarthrous!!!

I guess now we could lay this anarthrous issue to rest.

Shermana

Heretic
Yes, we can lay it to rest knowing that Yashua was "a god" and that His Father and Maker was "a god", the "god of the gods", the "most high god" who reigns over the other gods that he created. Likewise, we can lay it to rest knowing that Justin and Iraneus clearly referred to Jesus as "a god" despite how some unscrupulous sites like Bible.ca ignore the Anarthrous.

I also asked you earlier what year your translation of the Septuagint version of Nahum came from, since later Greek is different than Koine, but it appears you want to not discuss that part.

Last edited:

Mark2020

I also asked you earlier what year your translation of the Septuagint version of Nahum came from, since later Greek is different than Koine, but it appears you want to not discuss that part.
It appears that you are getting more desperate.
I already gave you a link to the verse.
And the argument in red is another poor and desperate argument. Can you prove it, regarding the anarthrous issue.?

Mark2020

So, to end on a high note:
The anarthrous issue is destroyed:

(Nahum 1:2 [LXX]) θεος ζηλωτης και εκδικων κυριος
(Nahum 1:2 [NWT]) Jehovah is a God exacting exclusive devotion and taking vengeance
(Nahum 1:2 [HiSB]) אֵ֣ל קַנּ֤וֹא וְנֹקֵם֙ יְהוָ֔ה ..

YHVH is θεος? Anarthrous!!!

I guess now we could lay this anarthrous issue to rest.

Shermana

Heretic
How is it destroyed? What part about the word "el" do you think doesn't mean "god"? Why does it use "El" instead of "Ha-Elohim"?