• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Church

Aqualung

Tasty
The scriptures obviously mean the Bible.
If it's so obvious, it should be reallky easy to prove that it does mean the Bible, except everybody has been evading that question wholeheartedly and with more vigor than I have seen in a long time anywhere.

We're not talking about the Qur'an here.
And yet a moslim will claim that the Koran is scripture, as well as the Bible. Since you and others have so unskillfully evaded answering the question, why should anybody be inclined to deny that?

If you read 2 Timothy 3, you would understand what he is talking about:

"Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith." 2 Timothy 3:8
No, that has nothing in there that says the bible is scripture. Try again.

Now what did Moses write?

Not the new testament, that's for sure. But why does that question matter? The verse you quoted said nothing about what Moses WROTE. In fact, it specifically says that they withstood MOSES himself, not his writings. Perhaps, then, we should conclude that "scriptures" actually means "all things spoken by any prophet of God" rather simply than "all things written in the Bible"?

DeepShadow

White Crow
The great irony of using the Jannes and Jambres is that these names are not mentioned in the Pentateuch! The names of the sorcerers who withstood Moses were not written in Exodus, so apparently Paul was referencing another text, and expected his audience to have read it to understand what he was talking about.

How are we to take the recommendations to go and seek books not contained in the Bible? If the recommendation comes from a divine book, who are we to disregard it?

Good for you. Frubals!

But how can the Mormon church be the one true church on the one hand, but you are okay for others to join another organization claiming the same thing?

There can only be one true church, right? How can someone use something objective to determine the one true church?

DeepShadow

White Crow
But how can the Mormon church be the one true church on the one hand, but you are okay for others to join another organization claiming the same thing?

I want people to go where God leads them. :yes: God could have any number of reasons for you to not join His church. Maybe you're not ready. Maybe we're not ready. Maybe He has a special mission for you. It's really none of my business what God tells you to do.:no:

It's also possible that you're deceiving yourself, or even outright lying. That, too, is none of my concern. I have no wherewithal to call you a liar or a deluded sot on a public message board, or even in private.

That being said, it's worth noting that just because you didn't get a burning in the bosom doesn't mean "no." "No" isn't the same as not getting an answer. But then, you may have got a "no," and were just fuzzy on the specifics. Yet again, not my concern.

So let's take stock:
If you aren't ready, I'd say keep searching for the Truth.
If we aren't ready, I'd say keep searching for the Truth.
If you have a special mission, I'd say keep searching for the Truth.
If you are misreading your answer, I'd say keep searching for the Truth.
If you are flat out lying, I'd say keep searching for the Truth.

So since all of these options have the same conclusion, and the earlier variables are between you and God, I just cut to the chase and say, "Keep searching!"

There can only be one true church, right? How can someone use something objective to determine the one true church?

You'd need objective criteria, which AFAIK don't exist. Then you'd need objective measurements...and objective verification...

The real problem is that there are lots of things in this world that can be true, and yet not objective. Do you do an objective study of music to see if you like it? Do you do an objective study of dating prospects before falling in love? Religion is like that. I know I love my wife, and I know she loves me. That knowledge is subjective, and we're both okay with that. When someone demands to see your MRI results showing you have an increase in oxytocin when you see his/her picture in order to PROVE that you love him/her...that's not a healthy relationship.

Does anyone agree that the true chuch is not a particular religous organziation like the LDS Church, Roman Catholic Church, Bapist Church, Methodist Church, etc? The true church consists of all sinners who have been converted to Christ, or united to Him through faith in Christ?