• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation.

Popeyesays

Scott here is the date "16/06/08 the way i write it would tell you that i am not american,

quote]

ANd you are not writing legal documents, concerned about style of the day and it isn't 17 September, 1784 either is it?

Regards,
Scott

kai

ragamuffin
Scott here is the date "16/06/08 the way i write it would tell you that i am not american,

quote]

ANd you are not writing legal documents, concerned about style of the day and it isn't 17 September, 1784 either is it?

Regards,
Scott

so if they, wanting it to be a secular document ,decided to leave out the "in the year of our lord" because they didnt want it to be seen as christian , and just wrote "on this day" 17 september 1784, that would have effected its legality?

and its only the style of the day in a christian country.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
For those of you who think otherwise, here are the words straight from our founding fathers mouths, in a treaty with Tripoli, drafted in 1796 by George Washington, and signed by John Adams in 1797:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmenl and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Let's face it, our founding fathers stood head and shoulders above our current crop of religious fanatics in government, in both wisdom and intelligence. We need more people like this in government.
The US was founded as a nation based on Christian principles. It was not founded that there should be a government endorsed religion. But to say Judaochrstian principles are not at the heart of the Constitution and the laws of the land is like saying that modern Communist China was founded on tolerance and freedom:areyoucra

Popeyesays

so if they, wanting it to be a secular document ,decided to leave out the "in the year of our lord" because they didnt want it to be seen as christian , and just wrote "on this day" 17 september 1784, that would have effected its legality?

and its only the style of the day in a christian country.

It's the style of the day in an English speaking country.

"Style" for writing has been covered in thousands of manuals for thousands of different businesses, governments, organizations, schools, etc. for centuries. It's an attempt to formulate consistency.

"
An English writing style is a way of using the English language.
The style of a piece of writing is the way in which features of the language are used to convey meaning, typically but not always within the constraints of more widely accepted conventions of grammar and spelling.
An individual's writing style may be a very personal thing. Organizations that employ writers or commission written work from individuals may require that writers conform to a standardized style defined by the organization. This allows a consistent readability of composite works produced by many authors, and promotes usability of, for example, references to other cited works.
In many kinds of professional writing aiming for effective transfer of information, adherence to a standardised style of writing helps readers make sense of what the writer is presenting. Many standardised styles are documented in style guides. Some styles are more widely used, others restricted to a particular journal. Adherence to no particular style is also a style in its own right - some may think it undesirable, others not."

English writing style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Popeyesays

good for you , why do americans have to change everything stick to the british way of writing the date :)

Take it as a sign of good taste that the American military has chosen to use dd/mm/yyyy consistently since the Pentago was completed.

It's a matter of "style".

Regards,
Scott

kai

ragamuffin
It's the style of the day in an English speaking country.

"Style" for writing has been covered in thousands of manuals for thousands of different businesses, governments, organizations, schools, etc. for centuries. It's an attempt to formulate consistency.

"
An English writing style is a way of using the English language.
The style of a piece of writing is the way in which features of the language are used to convey meaning, typically but not always within the constraints of more widely accepted conventions of grammar and spelling.
An individual's writing style may be a very personal thing. Organizations that employ writers or commission written work from individuals may require that writers conform to a standardized style defined by the organization. This allows a consistent readability of composite works produced by many authors, and promotes usability of, for example, references to other cited works.
In many kinds of professional writing aiming for effective transfer of information, adherence to a standardised style of writing helps readers make sense of what the writer is presenting. Many standardised styles are documented in style guides. Some styles are more widely used, others restricted to a particular journal. Adherence to no particular style is also a style in its own right - some may think it undesirable, others not."

English writing style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes thank you for that Scott . i put it to you that although it may well indeed be an English method of writing the date it is also a particularly Christian one also.

But could you answer my question please? these were people who were radicals, in the fact they had fought a war of independence and were setting up the articles of their own brand new country, now lets just say they wanted to be even more radical and set up their new country as a secular one, would leaving out the Christian style of writing the date make it any less legal , given the fact they were writing their own laws anyway.

its like saying "i am an atheist by god" lol

Popeyesays

yes thank you for that Scott . i put it to you that although it may well indeed be an English method of writing the date it is also a particularly Christian one also.

But could you answer my question please? these were people who were radicals, in the fact they had fought a war of independence and were setting up the articles of their own brand new country, now lets just say they wanted to be even more radical and set up their new country as a secular one, would leaving out the Christian style of writing the date make it any less legal , given the fact they were writing their own laws anyway.

its like saying "i am an atheist by god" lol

t's more like complaining that Fahrenheit is the standard used rather than centigrade.

A standard is to make things "standard" after all.

Regards,
Scott

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
This is a dubious statement at best. What are the principles uniquely "xian" it was founded upon?
I don't think you want to start denying that western society evolved from a Christian foundation, and that those same principes form the core of our modern ethical systems. That would be as daft as denying that amphibians evolved from fish.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
well they should have been ,if they intended the document to be secular, dont you think?
Fortunately, the concept of being Politically Correct had not reared it's intolerant head. They had no problems with using spiritual and/or religious symbols without becoming apoplectic. It was obvious that their cause was not to ERADICATE religion as some would want us to do, but to allow everyone to express their religion in their own personal way. The concept of the "separation of church and state" has indeed turned into the elimination of church from the state. Actions like the removal of the ten commandments from public places is incredibly short sighted and is based on paranoia and not on religious freedom.

Sententia

Fortunately, the concept of being Politically Correct had not reared it's intolerant head. They had no problems with using spiritual and/or religious symbols without becoming apoplectic. It was obvious that their cause was not to ERADICATE religion as some would want us to do, but to allow everyone to express their religion in their own personal way. The concept of the "separation of church and state" has indeed turned into the elimination of church from the state. Actions like the removal of the ten commandments from public places is incredibly short sighted and is based on paranoia and not on religious freedom.

I don't believe we should eradicate religion. All faiths should be accepted and respected. The seperation of church and state is to protect both.

That said if we allow the ten commandments at the court houses which is obviously a religious document which is largely irrelavant should we also allows the commandments and teaching of the other religions in america at the court houses? If you allow the ten commandments shouldnt we properly and with equal prominence display the beliefs of Wiccan, Satanists and the followers of Ra? What of the Church of the flying spaghetti monster? Or are those religions less important? I dont see it as short sighted or based on paranoia but rather a prudent choice.

Scuba Pete

Take it as a sign of good taste that the American military has chosen to use dd/mm/yyyy consistently since the Pentago was completed.

It's a matter of "style".
Since I travel extensively oversees, I find myself constantly having to figure out which convention to use. Since I write it June 16th, 2008, and not the 16th of June, 2008 I find the American convention the most logical one for me. However, Day/Month/Year is great for obsessive compulsives (CDO) who have to over organize everything. :D What's even WORSE is that somehow during their writing of the date completely wrong, they got their right and left mixed up and now Britain and most of it's former commonwealth drive on the WRONG side of the road.

Scuba Pete

That said if we allow the ten commandments at the court houses which is obviously a religious document
It's an HISTORICAL document more than a religious one. Rather than ELIMINATE these significant documents, they should also include any other legal offerings from other religions such as the code of Hammurabi.

Smoke

Done here.
It's an HISTORICAL document more than a religious one.
Oh, come on. The Ten Commandments are an excerpt from a religious text, and there's nothing historical about them.

Rather than ELIMINATE these significant documents, they should also include any other legal offerings from other religions such as the code of Hammurabi.
Why? To make people feel better about being commanded, in a government building, to honor the Lord your God and to remember the Sabbath, to keep it holy? The Code of Hammurabi has no more to do with our legal system than the Ten Commandments do. If they want to post historical documents, the Bill of Rights would be a good place to start. Even the Magna Carta would be more relevant than anything dredged up from the ancient Near East.

logician

I don't think you want to start denying that western society evolved from a Christian foundation, and that those same principes form the core of our modern ethical systems. That would be as daft as denying that amphibians evolved from fish.

You didn't answer the question.

Scuba Pete

there's nothing historical about them.
Our concepts of history differ. Are you claiming that these have had NO impact on our judicial system? Especially in our early history, we see many laws that were loosely based on the morals of the time. Why else do we have "weekends" off for most governmental employees (other than police and park personnel)?

kai

ragamuffin
t's more like complaining that Fahrenheit is the standard used rather than centigrade.

A standard is to make things "standard" after all.

Regards,
Scott

no its not, it was only used in christian countries,

could you answer my question on the legality thing for me or not?

because Sunstone said "Surely you are not confusing a legal convention with a profession of theology?" so is it a legal convention or a theological convention to write the date in such a manner?

Smoke

Done here.
Our concepts of history differ. Are you claiming that these have had NO impact on our judicial system?
Pretty much. Is it against the law to covet anything that is your neighbor's? Is it illegal to work on Saturday?

Especially in our early history, we see many laws that were loosely based on the morals of the time. Why else do we have "weekends" off for most governmental employees (other than police and park personnel)?
The custom of taking Saturday and Sunday off from work can hardly be attributed to the divine command not to work on Saturday, and it is, in any case, not enshrined in our Constitution and laws.