• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for a god.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I would say whether a book is to believed depends on the contents. Sherlock Holmes is fiction. I believe the Bible is a true historical record of God's dealings with mankind. For anyone to believe this would mean more than a casual look at the Bible. Millions have made such an examination and are convinced the Bible is what it claims to be, "not..the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is..the word of God. (1Thessalonians 2:13) Millions of thinking people.

Argumentum ad numerum. Millions of thinking people have done the same with the Qur'an. Millions of thinking people have done the same and rejected both books.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Millions have made such an examination and are convinced the Bible is what it claims to be, "not..the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is..the word of God. (1Thessalonians 2:13) Millions of thinking people.

I suppose we all have different standards of what constitutes "thinking."

ArtieE

I would say whether a book is to believed depends on the contents. Sherlock Holmes is fiction. I believe the Bible is a true historical record of God's dealings with mankind. For anyone to believe this would mean more than a casual look at the Bible. Millions have made such an examination and are convinced the Bible is what it claims to be, "not..the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is..the word of God. (1Thessalonians 2:13) Millions of thinking people.
And 800 to 900 million thinking people believe in the Hindu scriptures and not the Bible while 98% of thinking Japanese people are not Christian. My guess is that you are not Indian or Japanese but you just happened to grow up and or live in a predominantly Judeo-Christian society?

Looncall

Actually, I think each person needs to convince themselves about God and the Bible. As Acts 17:27 says: "for them to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. For by him we have life and move and exist."

I do not find that I need that at all. Your quote cuts no ice with me. Quoting the bible to an unbeliever is silly.

rusra02

Premium Member
And 800 to 900 million thinking people believe in the Hindu scriptures and not the Bible while 98% of thinking Japanese people are not Christian. My guess is that you are not Indian or Japanese but you just happened to grow up and or live in a predominantly Judeo-Christian society?

217,000 Japanese are true Christians. How many of those 900 million Hindus do you think have really tested their faith? For that matter, how many professed "Christians" have done so. My guess is very few.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Please clarify what constitutes testing one's own faith, and if at all possible, also how many of those 217 thousand Japanese you believe have done so.

You call then true Christians, yet you also say that very few Christians have tested their faith, so it is unclear.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
217,000 Japanese are true Christians. How many of those 900 million Hindus do you think have really tested their faith? For that matter, how many professed "Christians" have done so. My guess is very few.

Well, Hinduism continues to survive despite all efforts to the contrary from outside forces. Those who do test their faiths often affirm it quite well.

But if few professed "Christians" have truly tested their faith, then your argument from numbers becomes null. You've basically invalidated your entire argument.

Besides, Japan has about 130,000,000 people living in it. 217,000 is pretty insignificant; that 98% number you were given was actually quite a downplay.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
And your speculations prove your God how?

Agnostic75

rusra02 said:
I believe the Bible is a true historical record of God's dealings with mankind.

Better stated, you believe that your literal interpretations of the Bible are true, for example, creationism, and the global flood. Why should anyone believe that those claims are true?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
An answert to "There is no evidence for a God"

From the Wisdom of Futurama

God Entity: Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket.

Bender: Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money.

God Entity: Yes, if you make it look like an electrical thing. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Of course not! Laws don't exist without a Lawgiver. I believe Jehovah has clearly identified himself as the true God, the one who is "our Statute-Giver" and supreme Sovereign. (Isaiah 33:22)

The why do laws change? Why do morality, ethics, human rights, and so on change through the ages? History is proving you wrong.

The law givers through history have been either rulers, priests, judges, and today to some degree juries (the people).

In other words, humans make their own laws through process. The process is different from time to time, but the law is made by us. So if that's the same as God... well then, we are God.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Laws are simply descriptions of verifiable regularities and, quoting Einstein: "the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

Oh. You were talking about scientific laws. For some reason I thought about justice and criminal laws. *duh*. Sorry.

Last edited:

camanintx

Oh. You were talking about scientific laws. For some reason I thought about justice and criminal laws. *duh*. Sorry.
It's an easy mistake to make when creationists keep conflating the scientific definition of words with their common definitions.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
It's an easy mistake to make when creationists keep conflating the scientific definition of words with their common definitions.
Yup. That's true.

It's like the words "perfect", "ordered", and "fine tuned" are all jumbled and used interchangeable to fit whatever is the current argument. I'm not going into that rabbit hole right now.

rusra02

Premium Member
The why do laws change? Why do morality, ethics, human rights, and so on change through the ages? History is proving you wrong.

The law givers through history have been either rulers, priests, judges, and today to some degree juries (the people).

In other words, humans make their own laws through process. The process is different from time to time, but the law is made by us. So if that's the same as God... well then, we are God.

The great majority of humans have rejected God's laws and principles, ever since Adam and Eve did so. Much of the suffering we experience has been from man's abortive attempts to decide for themselves what is just or unjust. As Jeremiah 10:23 states: "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step." I believe that Eve wanted to be like God, deciding for herself what is good and bad. (Genesis 3:5) I believe the Bible teaches, clearly teaches, we cannot be like God, anymore than Eve could, by claiming moral independence we are not entitled to. And the outcome for those who do make such claims will be no better than Eve's.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The great majority of humans have rejected God's laws and principles, ever since Adam and Eve did so. Much of the suffering we experience has been from man's abortive attempts to decide for themselves what is just or unjust. As Jeremiah 10:23 states: "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step." I believe that Eve wanted to be like God, deciding for herself what is good and bad. (Genesis 3:5) I believe the Bible teaches, clearly teaches, we cannot be like God, anymore than Eve could, by claiming moral independence we are not entitled to. And the outcome for those who do make such claims will be no better than Eve's.

Actually, the outcome has been quite good so far.