• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for a god.

ArtieE

Is it "obviously designed" because it is designed, or is it "obviously designed" simply because YOU want/need it to be designed?

You have presented absolutely nothing to distinguish between the two.
It seems designed to him because his brain is wired in such a way as to look for religious explanations to natural phenomena. It is the same mechanisms that made people attribute thunder to Thor and earthquakes to Poseidon. You will find more information on this if you google neurotheology. It is an evolutionary trait providing pseudo solutions and explanations until such time that we have the means to find the correct solutions and explanations. For example 2000 years ago morality was attributed to gods just like thunder was attributed to Thor but now we know how morality evolved and we have meteorology so we have no need for Thor or moralmaking gods anymore.

Last edited:

ArtieE

I'm frankly surprised you feel the immensely complex and interrelated laws that control the universe and make life possible, just sprang into existence on their own, with no intelligent direction. Silly? No, simple logic. No lawgiver, no law.
So you actually do believe that a god sits in the clouds and designs and creates snowflakes? Because of course there's no difference believing that and believing that a god sat and designed and created the natural laws who in their turn create the snowflakes. You have simply just moved the same argument one step back which doesn't make it any less silly you know... :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm frankly surprised you feel the immensely complex and interrelated laws that control the universe and make life possible, just sprang into existence on their own, with no intelligent direction. Silly? No, simple logic. No lawgiver, no law.

They didn't spring into existence at all; they were always there.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is called "the anthropic principle", isn't it? A perception flaw, basically.

Horrorble

What evidence do you have that there is a god?
532625_516848545002828_801353385_n.jpg

I thought there are geologists biologists and physicists who believe in God?

Horrorble

fantôme profane;3195616 said:
Many, of course. But I doubt you could find any that are young earth creationists.

Fair. But the title of the thread implies the OP was referring at anyone who believes in God.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apparently you don't believe in emergence.

Emergence is just a word meaing (simplistically) "properties or features of some system we can't currently completely explain using known laws". It doesn't mean that things we call emergent properties are not the product of laws, or even that there can be "emergence" which is not reducible, at least in principle, to the laws of physics. Emergence has also been used by theologians and philosophers as evidence of a creator/God, e.g., certain papers in The Re-Emergence of Emergence: The Emergentist Hypothesis from Science to Religion (Oxford University Press, 2006), or in From Complexity to Life: On the Emergence of Life and Meaning (Oxford University Press, 2003). There are also volumes which use emergence or particular types of emergence to argue that science and theism are compatible or even that scientific explanations of particular types of emergence are evidence of a creator/God, e.g., Philip Clayton's Mind and Emergence: From Quantum to Consciousness (2004) or Moreland's Consciousness and the Existence of God: A theistic argument (from the series Routledge Studies in the Philosophy of Religion; 2008).

camanintx

Emergence is just a word meaing (simplistically) "properties or features of some system we can't currently completely explain using known laws". It doesn't mean that things we call emergent properties are not the product of laws, or even that there can be "emergence" which is not reducible, at least in principle, to the laws of physics. Emergence has also been used by theologians and philosophers as evidence of a creator/God, e.g., certain papers in The Re-Emergence of Emergence: The Emergentist Hypothesis from Science to Religion (Oxford University Press, 2006), or in From Complexity to Life: On the Emergence of Life and Meaning (Oxford University Press, 2003). There are also volumes which use emergence or particular types of emergence to argue that science and theism are compatible or even that scientific explanations of particular types of emergence are evidence of a creator/God, e.g., Philip Clayton's Mind and Emergence: From Quantum to Consciousness (2004) or Moreland's Consciousness and the Existence of God: A theistic argument (from the series Routledge Studies in the Philosophy of Religion; 2008).
Emergence deals with properties or features of a system which do not exist within the parts of that system. I never said they were not reducible to the laws of physics, in fact I would argue that they always are. A single atom has no weight, but put it in proximity to another atom and gravity induces a force which we interpret as weight. Likewise, the presence of natural laws does not imply the presence of a lawgiver.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Emergence deals with properties or features of a system which do not exist within the parts of that system.

There an important distinction missing in the above. The dynamics of a system are not said to exhibit emergence if we can explain how the laws of physics produce the system's dynamics. The laws of physics are not "parts of that system" per se (at least not in the way "parts of the whole" is usually understood), but any system from planets to the trajectory of a projectile is governed by physics. The reason this is important is because you brought up emergence in response to this:
Laws don't exist without a Lawgiver.

Emergence is irrelevant to laws unless you are using it to show that things (like emergent properties) can be produced apart from laws. In other words, the argument was essentially that laws require a creator of those laws. One can simply deny that this is true, but you didn't. Instead you cited emergence, which doesn't make sense (to me) as a refutation of the argument when you
never said they were not reducible to the laws of physics, in fact I would argue that they always are.

If they are always reducible to the laws of physics, you haven't really said much about whether or not these laws require a "law-creator" of some sort. Basically, why refer to emergence at all rather than simply explain why this

the presence of natural laws does not imply the presence of a lawgiver.
is not the case? Put another way, how does emergence entail something like what I quoted immediately above?

johnhanks

I'm frankly surprised you feel the immensely complex and interrelated laws that control the universe and make life possible, just sprang into existence on their own, with no intelligent direction.
And yet you have no trouble believing that an immensely complex begetter of these complex and interrelated laws just sprang into existence on its own, or just happened to "be".
No lawgiver, no law.
True of human laws, but these are a poor analogy for the regularities described by scientific "laws". You have been misled by the use of the same word to describe two quite different things - rather as though the use of the word crust to describe the upper layer of the earth's surface led you to demand there must be a baker for that crust.

Looncall

And yet you have no trouble believing that an immensely complex begetter of these complex and interrelated laws just sprang into existence on its own, or just happened to "be".
True of human laws, but these are a poor analogy for the regularities described by scientific "laws". You have been misled by the use of the same word to describe two quite different things - rather as though the use of the word crust to describe the upper layer of the earth's surface led you to demand there must be a baker for that crust.

I wonder if he has been misled, or is just plain lieing. This lawgiver argument is so silly, it looks to me to be just a desperate tactic of a failing ideology.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess

Your whole argument is based on the watchmaker argument, which has been refuted very elegantly and concisely time and again. All told, that so-called argument is nothing but an analogy and does not stand up to logical examination. It is contradictive, misses salient points, and tells us nothing about the imaginary watchmaker.

Anyhow who made/created the watchmaker in the first place?

Kemble

A bit ridiculous since that brings up the question of who designed the designer, and who designed the designer of the designer, etc. If we take to probable view that there was never a creation point (The Big Bang Never Happened by Eric Lerner elaborates on it) talking about about creation or design is pretty meaningless. Yet I forgot, being short-sighted anthropocentric primates that we are that's an absurd idea.

camanintx

There an important distinction missing in the above. The dynamics of a system are not said to exhibit emergence if we can explain how the laws of physics produce the system's dynamics. The laws of physics are not "parts of that system" per se (at least not in the way "parts of the whole" is usually understood), but any system from planets to the trajectory of a projectile is governed by physics.
Why are you separating the laws of physics from the system? While our understanding of those laws may be limited and separate, the laws themselves are integral to the system.

Emergence is irrelevant to laws unless you are using it to show that things (like emergent properties) can be produced apart from laws. In other words, the argument was essentially that laws require a creator of those laws. One can simply deny that this is true, but you didn't. Instead you cited emergence, which doesn't make sense (to me) as a refutation of the argument
It makes sense if the laws are an emergent part of the system as well.

If they are always reducible to the laws of physics, you haven't really said much about whether or not these laws require a "law-creator" of some sort. Basically, why refer to emergence at all rather than simply explain why this

is not the case? Put another way, how does emergence entail something like what I quoted immediately above?
Don't physicists derive most of these laws from other, simpler laws? Isn't it the goal of physicists to find a grand, unified theory that explains all other theories? When all of nature shows us that the complex and organized derives from the simple and chaotic, why should we posit a complex and organized cause to explain anything?

Kemble

Your whole argument is based on the watchmaker argument, which has been refuted very elegantly and concisely time and again.

From observation it typically takes a few thousand times of repetition in easy-to-understand words to get Creationists to partially understand this one. Often it just continues to fly over their heads.

rusra02

Premium Member

Your whole argument is based on the watchmaker argument, which has been refuted very elegantly and concisely time and again. All told, that so-called argument is nothing but an analogy and does not stand up to logical examination. It is contradictive, misses salient points, and tells us nothing about the imaginary watchmaker.

Anyhow who made/created the watchmaker in the first place?

The Bible states that "You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created." (Revelation 4:11) I think there is no such thing as an imaginary watchmaker. All watches have makers. In fact, all things have a Maker. Despite the fact that God's "invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship", the Bible foretold that some would neither glorify God nor thank him, but become empty headed in their reasonings. (Romans 1:19-23) I choose to believe the evidence in front of my eyes.

ArtieE

In fact, all things have a Maker.
Who made your maker? You have two answers. Either your maker didn't have a maker in which case you lie when you say all things have a Maker or your maker must have had a maker who must have had a maker ad infinitum. Which is it?

rusra02

Premium Member
Who made your maker? You have two answers. Either your maker didn't have a maker in which case you lie when you say all things have a Maker or your maker must have had a maker who must have had a maker ad infinitum. Which is it?

The true God is from "everlasting to everlasting", like time without beginning nor end. One must ultimately come to the "Source of life". (Psalm 36:9, 90:2) Our limited thinking cannot fully comprehend someone eternal. I believe we can come to know the only true God by means of his communication with us. When I said all things have a Maker, it is with the exception of the One who is the grand Creator and life Giver, Jehovah.