• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Yeah, but you had to claim that you know that you are real. So you are on for that one or simply admit that you don't know that you are real.
Ahh I see what I did there.

Well screw Descartes then. I am real because I can feel myself and look at myself in the mirror. I don't doubt that the world is real, and I exist in the world.

Do you doubt that the world is real?

Audie

Veteran Member
Exactly. So that's a category error. A type mismatch. This is logically flawed, and philosophically absurd. Scientifically flawed and against the philosophy of science. Bad argument in every possible way.

Nope.
metaphysical does not mean imaginary.

Metaphysical is a term used in philosophy to refer to the branch of philosophy known as metaphysics, which deals with questions about the nature of reality, existence, and the fundamental nature of things that go beyond the physical or empirical world. It explores concepts like being, time, space, causality, and the relationship between mind and matter.

While some metaphysical concepts may not be directly observable or measurable in the physical world, that doesn't mean they are imaginary. Instead, they are often abstract or theoretical, dealing with questions that concern the underlying principles or essence of reality.

For example, the concept of being or existence is a metaphysical concept—it addresses what it means for something to exist, which is not necessarily something that can be directly observed or measured, but is a foundational aspect of reality.

In contrast, something imaginary refers to something that is purely a creation of the mind, without a basis in reality, like a fictional character or a daydream.

So, while metaphysical concepts might involve abstract ideas that aren't tied to physical objects, they are not simply imaginary; they are concerned with understanding the deeper or more fundamental aspects of reality.
So...the Kitchen God represented by my
little statue is just as real as any other god?

Audie

Veteran Member
Exactly. So that's a category error. A type mismatch. This is logically flawed, and philosophically absurd. Scientifically flawed and against the philosophy of science. Bad argument in every possible way.

Nope.
metaphysical does not mean imaginary.

Metaphysical is a term used in philosophy to refer to the branch of philosophy known as metaphysics, which deals with questions about the nature of reality, existence, and the fundamental nature of things that go beyond the physical or empirical world. It explores concepts like being, time, space, causality, and the relationship between mind and matter.

While some metaphysical concepts may not be directly observable or measurable in the physical world, that doesn't mean they are imaginary. Instead, they are often abstract or theoretical, dealing with questions that concern the underlying principles or essence of reality.

For example, the concept of being or existence is a metaphysical concept—it addresses what it means for something to exist, which is not necessarily something that can be directly observed or measured, but is a foundational aspect of reality.

In contrast, something imaginary refers to something that is purely a creation of the mind, without a basis in reality, like a fictional character or a daydream.

So, while metaphysical concepts might involve abstract ideas that aren't tied to physical objects, they are not simply imaginary; they are concerned with understanding the deeper or more fundamental aspects of reality.
So...the Kitchen God represented by my
little statue is just as real as any other god?

Audie

Veteran Member
No, that's sloppy thinking. Metaphysics deals with those aspects of underlying fundamental reality which cannot be seen or measured, but which are nonetheless necessary to provide an explanation of that reality. Terms and concepts, such as 'real' or 'imaginary', and the distinction between them, are not observable. The question 'What is real'? is a metaphysical question.
Those who will, amuse themselves by
Iooking for the answers to life's persistent
questions via metaphysics.

It's fine to say metaphysics " deals with" the
fundamental nature of things. But does it
really? Does it ever succeed in any way in " dealing with"? Or is it like alchemy?

Is there any accomplish to point to?

Actual physics/math keeps pushing toward
deeper actual understanding.

Of what use is mrtaphysics?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ahh I see what I did there.

Well screw Descartes then. I am real because I can feel myself and look at myself in the mirror. I don't doubt that the world is real, and I exist in the world.

Do you doubt that the world is real?

Yes, I am a global skeptic, so I have doubted that the world is real. Now I believe the world is real and I act with faith* in that, but I don't know that the world is real.

*faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something. I trust the world to be real.

RestlessSoul

Those who will, amuse themselves by
Iooking for the answers to life's persistent
questions via metaphysics.

It's fine to say metaphysics " deals with" the
fundamental nature of things. But does it
really? Does it ever succeed in any way in " dealing with"? Or is it like alchemy?

Is there any accomplish to point to?

Actual physics/math keeps pushing toward
deeper actual understanding.

Of what use is mrtaphysics?

Without a metaphysics, physics cannot explain nor describe objective reality. If it abandons ontology and limits itself to making predictions based on past observations, it will still work; but this will come at the cost of pushing toward deeper understanding.

Audie

Veteran Member
Without a metaphysics, physics cannot explain nor describe objective reality. If it abandons ontology and limits itself to making predictions based on past observations, it will still work; but this will come at the cost of pushing toward deeper understanding.
You've failed to identify any accomplishment.
Not one fact, datum point, let alone theory.

Science goes along fine, regardless of
what metaphysics tries to lay claim to.

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Yes, I am a global skeptic, so I have doubted that the world is real. Now I believe the world is real and I act with faith* in that, but I don't know that the world is real.

*faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something. I trust the world to be real.
And there's evidence for that faith in the world.
There's no evidence for God.
That's my premise for this thread.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm asking if God is empirically real. The answer doesn't have to be shrouded in metaphysics. I accept there's no evidence for God, but when people say/imply that perhaps there is metaphysical reasoning for God, I equate the reasoning to "imagination".
You have your answer from the theists themselves: No. That's why they tell you to stop searching for evidence. Something is empirically real or true when we can experience it through the external or internal senses, which does not include intuitions about gods or anything else.

Here's a comment from atheist firebrand Pat Condell that says it well for me:

"Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. How convenient. Yes, faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law. The word "transcendent" is very popular with religious hustlers because they never have to explain precisely what they mean by it, other than some vague superior state of understanding more profound than mere reason, which is crude and simplistic next to the subtleties and profundities of belief without evidence. If you hear a senior clergyman (and you will) using the word “transcendent" to explain the nonsense he claims to believe, then you know two things: one: he doesn't know what he's talking about, and two: he doesn't want you to know what he's talking about either. Faith doesn't transcend reason at all. Faith sidesteps reason. It runs away from reason because reason threatens its cozy bubble of delusion, so faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court disqualifies truth, and witnesses, and for much the same reason."

Comments like God doesn't exist in space or time or claims about a supernatural realm are verbal sleights-of-hand to defend belief in an imaginary entity with no referent outside of imagination. They're explanations for why something that isn't real can't be experienced yet is real anyway.

Hold your ground. Let them have their comforting interpretations of reality, but you needn't join them or believe them, and it sounds like you know that and won't.
I am real because I can feel myself and look at myself in the mirror. I don't doubt that the world is real, and I exist in the world. Do you doubt that the world is real?
You can and should doubt that the world that you imagine underlies your experiences - that your experiences are experiences of what you think they are - can be safely and intelligently doubted using what can be called philosophical doubt, which is understanding absence any feeling.

There are a large assortment of other ideas about what lies on the other side of our conscious content such as Boltzmann brains, a matrix, a brain in a vat, and last Thursdayism. As Descartes suggested, we can't know anything about the nature of our experiences except that we are having them, and I would add rules for using them to affect future experiences. Let me illustrate:

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was an illusion. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle. It's not real, you think, and stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts, you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?

My point is that you can hold philosophical doubt about what reality is. It's pretty hard to hold psychological doubt, which is a feeling of uncertainty distinct from an understanding of uncertainty, for very long.

And the other side of consciousness is what metaphysics refers to to me. Physics is the study of the conscious phenomena that we understand as coming from outside of the body and of the body itself as well, which is physical. Metaphysics is what we think those conscious experiences imply about the other side of consciousness, a space we can never visit or experience directly. Physics is about what appears in consciousness and metaphysics about what we presume underlies that experience. The model we choose doesn't need to be correct. It just needs to work, as the illustration with the flame illustrates. And that's good, because we have no means to verify that our model is correct. Feel free to doubt it. It won't change how you live your life.

Likewise with libertarian free will. It's not too difficult a task to get to the point where you understand that it may not exist and that we are the robots operating deterministically with a feeling that our conscious subject is the source of those desires that the faithful say their gods don't want. I have, but it's philosophical doubt. I understand that my will might be the product of neurons firing deterministically and delivering ideas to consciousness that I imagine arose there rather than being imported, and Iam perfectly fine with that possibility. If it's correct, that's the way it is and has always been.

But I can't maintain psychological doubt for long. As soon as I stop having discussions or thoughts like these, I live as if my will were free, because that's an inescapable intuition. As with the flame, even if I knew for a fact that will was not free, nothing changes. I would go on living as before. Discovering that is shocking at first, but once one becomes comfortable with holding philosophical doubt, the world goes on being as it always has been.
So that's a category error. A type mismatch. This is logically flawed, and philosophically absurd. Scientifically flawed and against the philosophy of science. Bad argument in every possible way.
That was a response to, "I'm just asking if there is evidence for God. You said I shouldn't look for evidence for God in the real world aka "empirical world."

Not because you say so.

I consider your comment more verbal sleight-of-hand. It's one of many ways of trying to make the nonexistent real - a variation on Condell's comment, "Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason." Your method is a little different. You're telling him that his reasoning is flawed. It's not.

He's exactly where he should be - rejecting claims about unseen gods. Requiring evidence before belief is not a category error, nor scientifically flawed (it the essence of empiricism), nor a violation of the philosophy of science. I don't feel the need to explain why, since all you provided were unargued, unevidenced claims.

And I hope @an anarchist understands that and rejects these word games. To him I say that the agnostic atheist does not claim that gods do not exist, because he cannot know that any more than that he can know they do at this time and in this place. Maybe they do. But we should reject the claims from the faithful that they have experienced gods or communed with them. There is no need, reason or value in accepting such claims.

Even if a god does exist somewhere, there is no value in knowing that, and no way to know it.

RestlessSoul

You've failed to identify any accomplishment.
Not one fact, datum point, let alone theory.

Science goes along fine, regardless of
what metaphysics tries to lay claim to.

You've failed to grasp the significance of metaphysics in the context of physics. Let's keep it simple: In quantum theory, Schrodinger's equation, the evolution of the wave function, and the collapse of the superposition on measurement, is physics. The concept of wave/particle duality, and the various competing interpretations of QM which attempt to explain it's nonlocal features, are metaphysics.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Read about the evil devil by Descartes and a Boltzmann Brain universe and get back if you have questions.
I read the wiki page on evil demon.

So maybe there is a God who is deceiving us about reality.

Ultimately, this "God" concept is something we humans made up ourselves tho. So I don't see the proposal as holding much weight from the get go.

Just my immediate thoughts.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I read the wiki page on evil demon.

So maybe there is a God who is deceiving us about reality.

Ultimately, this "God" concept is something we humans made up ourselves tho. So I don't see the proposal as holding much weight from the get go.

Just my immediate thoughts.

Then on to a Boltzmann Universe and please try to note the similarities in regards to cause and effect.
And then abstract away both the devil and the Boltzmann Brain and make a general mode of cause and effect for your mind and objective reality.

Audie

Veteran Member
You've failed to grasp the significance of metaphysics in the context of physics. Let's keep it simple: In quantum theory, Schrodinger's equation, the evolution of the wave function, and the collapse of the superposition on measurement, is physics. The concept of wave/particle duality, and the various competing interpretations of QM which attempt to explain it's nonlocal features, are metaphysics.
Perhaps they can be labeled as such.

But it serves to underline that the philosophical
study of metaphysics contributes nothing.
zero data. Or idea what to do with data from real physics.
Or chemistry.

You've failed to grasp the significance of that. :D

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I'm just asking if there is evidence for God. You said I shouldn't look for evidence for God in the real world aka "empirical world"

You said God is a metaphysical being and that is why we cannot find him through empirical means.
"Metaphysical" means beyond physical the way we are using it in relation to "God". So God is not part of the physical world or real world as a "metaphysical" being. So "imaginary" is an apt description.
No, your thinking is wrong. While I do not agree with certain posters, the idea that God cannot be "empirically" tested does not mean God does not exist.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Then how is belief in God anything more than imagination or a guess?
Rocks may have suggestions as to their "dates," and fossils offer evidence that a live being was there, but those things can be seen. Insofar as I know no one has experienced rocks or fossils talking to them. Maybe they have. Most people agree on the idea that the earth was not always in the sky, or universe, but was formed at a certain point. Although they didn't see it. The reason I believe in God, an unseen spirit, is because I was helped to study the Bible with people who loved God very much. And while there are questions remaining despite study, I expect and believe these questions will be answered in the future. By people who were eye-witnesses of many of the events in question, because I believe in a resurrection of the dead.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The reason I believe in God, an unseen spirit, is because I was helped to study the Bible with people who loved God very much.
Thank you for answering the OP concisely.

I made this thread over two years ago when I was leaving theism.

Reasons such as yours help illustrate to me that I should not believe in God as there is no reasonable basis that anyone has it seems.