• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I still can't figure why Einstein was so concerned with light in outer space. I mean big deal...when I was in school and with some brainy people (I was in the Honor Society among other groups like that), I thought what's the point? But anyway, he died and as I understand it thought he'd had anough of this life.

What he hypothesized, which was eventually proven to be correct by others, was that time is relative, thus not static. Also, he hypothesized that spacetime was not a constant. He was proven correct on both.

I was just hearing a report about lithium batteries and how people want them, but the cost factor comes into play with the manufacturers. They know they're polluting the atmosphere, but hey, money is money I suppose.

It is far less polluting than the carbon emissions from other sources.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What he hypothesized, which was eventually proven to be correct by others, was that time is relative, thus not static. Also, he hypothesized that spacetime was not a constant. He was proven correct on both.

It is far less polluting than the carbon emissions from other sources.
No matter how hard mankind tries (and there are volunteers) they are not going to solve the pollutioin problem, I venture to say pollution cuts lives shorter than if there were no pollution. Time bending or not. Looking forward to the time that the prophecy is fulfilled when the earth will be a better place -- much better where there is no pollution. That, of course, will require a whole new, big change.

YoursTrue

Is this required when you have an opinion on something? Lets look at this example

Can people talk to the dead?

No matter what your level of intelligence is, when you put everything that you know together, it is highly unlikely that people can talk to the dead. Do you agree? Therefore, its a false assumption that people can talk to the dead.

Why do you say, it's an unknown assumption?
There are those who say there is no objective evidence that they see, therefore -- it's anybody's guess...maybe they do speak to the dead, maybe they don't...:) as far as "objectivity" goes...

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So...maybe they do speak to the dead (who hears them). And maybe they don't. Do I have this right about your belief? Maybe yes -- maybe no...

I don't care as me, because I have a different belief system. I accept they belief differently.

In effect I don't believe in truth like you. But you seem to assume that I must believe in the same way about truth as you.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I can only state anecdotally that I have heard the dead speak
But I have ZERO evidence
Nothing “objective” as to me ultimately all is subjective

It was an experience I had
I know I had the experience

And I know the supernatural is not the only explanation

I may have been hallucinating
I may have been tired
I may have been greiving

BUT I know I heard the dead speak, to my own satisfaction, and I can never prove to anyone that it really did happened

As I cannot take my brain, record the moment, and implant it into someone else’s head

It was MY experience, no one else’s

Things like this are very difficult to agree or prove

And it’s completely up to the listener to accept or not the anecdote, regardless of the lack of evidence

It’s up to them

christos

I can only state anecdotally that I have heard the dead speak
But I have ZERO evidence
Nothing “objective” as to me ultimately all is subjective

It was an experience I had
I know I had the experience

And I know the supernatural is not the only explanation

I may have been hallucinating
I may have been tired
I may have been greiving

BUT I know I heard the dead speak, to my own satisfaction, and I can never prove to anyone that it really did happened

As I cannot take my brain, record the moment, and implant it into someone else’s head

It was MY experience, no one else’s

Things like this are very difficult to agree or prove

And it’s completely up to the listener to accept or not the anecdote, regardless of the lack of evidence

It’s up to them
I should also point out

That it doesn’t matter if someone says my experience was false or they don’t believe me

As I KNOW it to be true
What is true FOR ME, is not necessarily true FOR YOU

See this is the interesting thing with belief and truth that some people gloss over

Is that there is no one right pathway, no one “true” belief, as there are subjective aspects here

Someone might conclude something is true and know it to be true, regardless of what is factually true

For example
It is factually true that dead people typically don’t speak
I head the dead speak and I know it to be true

So what’s truth here?
The dead don’t speak, or the dead sometimes speak to individuals?

We have scientific truths (facts that can be verified)
Spiritual “truths” (fundamental, universal truths?)
And subjective truths (experiential)

Something like that…

christos

I would say I believe it is there. But whether that is true and known, is another matter.
I think the object on the table example is interesting

As the object for all intents and purposes exists on the table

You can see it, pick it up, observe it

It seems to interact with the table, in that it’s not falling through the table

But fundamentally you could say the object is more or less not there as is mostly vacuum energy, the matter component is basically a dust speck and it does have the potential to quantum tunnel through the table, there’s a probability that some of its electrons exist on the other side of the universe, albeit very tiny probabilities

And you can make the argument well, the object only exists in your mind as a construction of the waves and interactions flowing into your eyes and nerves etc

But all the mumbo jumbo aside, it doesn’t matter to me, as it seems real, I treat it as real, and if it was some simulated thing, I’d still be convinced it was there

Regardless of wether or it really is there or not

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No matter how hard mankind tries (and there are volunteers) they are not going to solve the pollutioin problem, I venture to say pollution cuts lives shorter than if there were no pollution.

There's always has been and will be some pollution, but that's not the point as nothing is perfect.

YoursTrue

Yeah, we are in effect doing different cogntion for what true and false are.
So it's possible in your mind that some people are telling the truth if they say they speak with dead people, is that right? Or -- put another way -- it's possible that they are lying when they say they speak with the dead, is that also right?
1. you think it's possible they are telling the truth if they tell you they speak with the dead.
or
2. you think they're lying if they say they speak with the dead.
(Do I have this right about your viewpoint about what other people say, even though you claim you have no obective evidence
I don't care as me, because I have a different belief system. I accept they belief differently.

In effect I don't believe in truth like you. But you seem to assume that I must believe in the same way about truth as you.
No, I'm just wondering if you believe those who claim that dead people talk to them are telling the truth. That's all. So you're undecided, I guess. OK, thanks for conversation.

YoursTrue

oThere's always has been and will be some pollution, but that's not the point as nothing is perfect.
Well -- so while I understand that, I again must say that I take exception. And so that's about it. :) If I were before a judge on earth in a legal system court, he'd probably not side with me, but -- that's ok. I'd have to present at least two reasons. One is that the Bible says the earth will be perfect and people will live forever in harmony and peace and happiness, and the second is that it seems emotionally reasonable to believe what Jesus said, and what is written in many sections of the Bible. So let us be in peace, thanks for conversation. Since people cannot/will not get together because of greed to fix things on this earth, it does not allow for much room.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't personally believe that it matters to God whether we live 6 days or 6 minutes or 60 years or whatever. It all seems like no kind of time, and maybe it's not.

YoursTrue

Well, I also beleve it is real.
OK, so we have that straight. If two people see an object on a table they can truthfully say they saw an object on the table. Just so it was not an illusion, which I can only imagine could happen but not in reality if they were in the room with the table and the object on the table, and they felt the objects. Now the thing is: can we take their word that there was an object on the table if we didn't see it ourselves.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One is that the Bible says the earth will be perfect and people will live forever in harmony and peace and happiness,
Where does the Bible say:

- that the earth will be perfect?
- that people will live forever on earth in harmony and peace and happiness?

YoursTrue

I don't personally believe that it matters to God whether we live 6 days or 6 minutes or 60 years or whatever. It all seems like no kind of time, and maybe it's not.
Of course, as we live our lives we can show the kind of person we are. But God takes it all into account. For instance, even little babies or older ones, And He is just.
Deuteronomy 32:4: "The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he."
Naturally when we think of a person who makes important decisions we would like to think of him as just.