• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Jeremy Mason

It is a pointless waste of money. The atheists are going to look at the sign and agree, while the believers will be offended and probably stage a bus boycott. I have learned, as an agnostic, that no amount of debate or statements are going to change anyone's belief system. One has to take the reign of one's own life...I have wasted part of my life away trying to convince people of what I perceive to be truth, which may not really be the truth to begin with.

I don't think people will boycott bus for that reason. Buses get people to a destination not to a ideology. I know, I've been riding them for over ten years.

While many won't change their beliefs, some still do.

I agree with Unity, the people paying for those ads are wasting their money. And the people getting upset over the ads are wasting their energy. Both of those groups of people are grossly overestimating the ads' importance and significance.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I myself am in staunch favor of ads showing women in bikinis or wet T-shirts. Thus, I could get behind this campaign if it showed atheist women in bikinis or wet T-shirts. Otherwise, I find the whole thing reprehensible because of its lack of women in bikinis or wet T-shirts.

UnityNow101

I myself am in staunch favor of ads showing women in bikinis or wet T-shirts. Thus, I could get behind this campaign if it showed atheist women in bikinis or wet T-shirts. Otherwise, I find the whole thing reprehensible because of its lack of women in bikinis or wet T-shirts.

I really like your way of thinking, Sunstone. I would get behind that ad campaign if there were women in bikinis or wet t-shirts, as would about 98.2% of the male population...

Alceste

Vagabond
I really like your way of thinking, Sunstone. I would get behind that ad campaign if there were women in bikinis or wet t-shirts, as would about 98.2% of the male population...

If the women in bikinis or wet t-shirts were accompanied by Brad Pitt in a loincloth, I think you could win me over as well.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Naturally the ideal is not to have advertisment about beliefs at all. but considering the article says that there are ads who try to influence people into believing they will be sent to hell then I say..
Nice idea, in general. as long as there are religious advertisments, there's a need to balance it out, and not allow the religious sector to have monopoly. I know that when I have to see a religious ad on a bus, I can feel my blood starting to boil. let the other side have the same sensation. dont listen to all the self righteous who say its petty and stooping down a level, 'non believers' should not be expected to be the 'mature' all the time, let everyone deal with it, until people start to learn, and make personal beliefs a private matter, and until people refuse to learn, let everyone voice their beliefs, let them all be heard.
I know my day would be brighter if I see a counter ad to a religious advertisment.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I think this is a good idea.

And the term "atheist bus" makes me laugh for some reason, hehe. :D

We should have segregated busing for athiests(non-theists) and theists.
(which would work out just fine for me because I really can swing either way in a pinch) :D

We could put kneelers at all bus stops for the theists,
and charts for the athiests to mark down the prayer to bus arrival ratios. :p

Though I really would prefer a Magic Bus all my own.... :rainbow1:

Now who's comin' for a ride with me?

blackout

Violet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilithu
Us UUs have terrible ads. For example:

"When in prayer, doubt." :cover: :areyoucra :cover:

fantôme profane;1313082 said:
I love that, I think it is a fantastic ad!
Which just proves the efficacy of prayer. If you didn’t pray the bus would show up ten minutes late.

I really like it too!

Last edited:

Ben Masada

From the Telegraph:

Thoughts?

In the full article, Dawkins draws a parellel between these ads and the bus ads for various religious groups. Are these atheist* ads appropriate? Are the religious ones that inspired these?

*actually, the slogan seems more agnostic than atheist to me, but apparently the group funding them considers them to be "atheist".

On the other hand, I believe that life will be less safe to live if God is deleted from the equation. Not all people are able to live under the auspices of Reason.
The majority need something supernatural to fear or to love in order to behave as a human being.

I have my reservations about this Dawkins. He could end up by being more superstitious than the illiterate Theist. Otherwise, how to explain the endless
struggle and time this man invests in his fight against God when much easier would be just to ignore?

Ben :ignore:

Sententia

From the Telegraph:

Thoughts?

In the full article, Dawkins draws a parellel between these ads and the bus ads for various religious groups. Are these atheist* ads appropriate? Are the religious ones that inspired these?

*actually, the slogan seems more agnostic than atheist to me, but apparently the group funding them considers them to be "atheist".

From a getting the word out there that it is ok to be an atheist or agnostic point of view I would say this is fantastic.

In the states there is a billboard campaign, "Imagine no Religion" that gets flak... madison.com

I think its great that atheists and agnostics and other freethinkers are getting their voice. In the US it is estimated 16% of the country are freethinkers... That is much higher then I thought but seems likely.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
fantôme profane;1313082 said:
I love that, I think it is a fantastic ad!
It's stupid. The only people who like that kind of ad are the ones who are opposed to organized religion and thus would not join us anyway.

We spend all of our time telling others how we're not Christian, as opposed to telling them what we ARE.

Edit:
For those who are just joining us, I was referring to a UU ad, not the atheist ad, which I think is stupid for different reasons.

Last edited:

gnomon

From the Telegraph:

Thoughts?

I take the view that, while absurd at a basic level, considering the amount of sloganizing of religious beliefs, how prevalent these slogans are in our society and the idiotic nature of all the religions slogans...........the atheist bus is great biofeedback to throw that stupidity right back in their face.

With such biofeedback, maybe we'll hear less of these,
-With God All Things Are Possible
-Let Go and Let God
-Wherever You Go, There You Are
-or any variation of save your soul or you are going to hell

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

"I should be surpriseed if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti.

"People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."

Wow. The hypocrites.

Heck, maybe nontheistic religious groups will love the bus.

misanthropic_clown

On 'Have I Got News For You' ( a comedy based news quiz here in the UK) the presenter presented a rather cold joke on the topic (paraphrased):

"What purposes the ads on buses will serve is unclear, but it may work to cause terrorists to think twice before blowing themselves up on the top deck of one"

in reference to the 7/7 London bombings.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
How about this variation.

"There's probably no God, which makes us worry enough to disrupt our lives and put these signs up."

Better?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not offended if someone tells me they don't believe in God and why. What bothers me is if someone tell me I can't believe in God because they don't. That same person would be angry if I told him/her that he/she have to believe in God because I do.

Chances are if you reverse a situation and it would offend you then it would probably offend the other person as well.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I wonder if the sign makers are not merely being ironic.

After all, this is in response to theistic adverts warning passengers that they were damned unless they embrace theism - these (atheist) adverts are nowhere near as obscene in nature, so perhaps they are only attempting to make a point, rather than actually hoping for de-conversions.

Ben Masada

doppelgänger;1313257 said:
How about this variation.

"There's probably no God, which makes us worry enough to disrupt our lives and put these signs up."

Better?

Hey Philosopher, I have got a question for you. First of all, I know that one does not
have to be religious to believe in God. I also know that one does not have to believe
in God to be looked at as a Philosopher.

Now, tell me, Whom do you attribute the intellectual crative power of Philosophers,
as well as their restlessness to "become?"

Ben :confused: