• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're everywhere! Cardero's excellent evidence ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angellous_evangellous

Last night I had a dream that I was abducted by aliens.

At the beginning, I was in a frat house and surrounded by friends at a party. The party was crashed by our sister sorority and then by our nemisis frat house. There was a bit of a drunken brawl, but my friends had my back. After the brawl, everyone except for me shed their skin and revealed their true identity: aliens like the ones from Cacoon.

That's all I remember, but it was damn scary. I lost time too. I went to bed at midnight and woke up about 3am.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Last night I had a dream that I was abducted by aliens.

At the beginning, I was in a frat house and surrounded by friends at a party. The party was crashed by our sister sorority and then by our nemisis frat house. There was a bit of a drunken brawl, but my friends had my back. After the brawl, everyone except for me shed their skin and revealed their true identity: aliens like the ones from Cacoon.

That's all I remember, but it was damn scary. I lost time too. I went to bed at midnight and woke up about 3am.
Get thee to a podiatrist!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

Get thee to a podiatrist!

Well, I'm not sure that they did anything to me. I have after-thoughts of being shown alien off-spring that they created from slicing my DNA with that of an alien. They also showed me an alien dog hybrid. It would have been really ugly - it was hairless - if it had not been glowing.

I kept on asking myself how much I had to drink before bed, but I couldn't remember. I had to keep the lights on after I woke up.

My wife can have the most terrifying nightmare, jerk awake, and then roll over and happily go back to sleep.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Well, I'm not sure that they did anything to me. I have after-thoughts of being shown alien off-spring that they created from slicing my DNA with that of an alien. They also showed me an alien dog hybrid. It would have been really ugly - it was hairless - if it had not been glowing.

I kept on asking myself how much I had to drink before bed, but I couldn't remember. I had to keep the lights on after I woke up.

My wife can have the most terrifying nightmare, jerk awake, and then roll over and happily go back to sleep.
Get thee to a podiatric veterinarian geneticist!

A

angellous_evangellous

I wish aliens would take Hootie away from us. I can't believe he played at Billy Bob's.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A couple of things. One, if you don't want to believe that this stuff could be real, good for you. It's not hurting anyone to believe that it is, though.

Why is it acceptable to make fun and degrade a belief in the paranormal when the same reaction to religion is frowned upon?

A

angellous_evangellous

A couple of things. One, if you don't want to believe that this stuff could be real, good for you.

And if you want to believe it, do so responsibly (which, incidentally, is the topic of the thread).

It's not hurting anyone to believe that it is, though

Beliefs, of course, can be harmful in a number of ways. Willfull ignorance has proven to have quite devestating consequences in the lives of people who both believe and do not believe, and this has played out specifically in alien phenomena in a number of ways.

The least of which, of course, is the awful consequences of ignoring mental illness, and the ethical problems associated with exploiting it.

Why is it acceptable to make fun and degrade a belief in the paranormal when the same reaction to religion is frowned upon?

It's not, and no one is making fun of it here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Clever, but barely. At issue is not "belief in the paranormal" but the capacity to evaluate evidence or the garbage offered as evidence.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And if you want to believe it, do so responsibly (which, incidentally, is the topic of the thread).

What is irresponsible about this belief?

Beliefs, of course, can be harmful in a number of ways. Willfull ignorance has proven to have quite devestating consequences in the lives of people who both believe and do not believe, and this has played out specifically in alien phenomena in a number of ways.

The least of which, of course, is the awful consequences of ignoring mental illness, and the ethical problems associated with exploiting it.

Are you saying that anyone who believes in this stuff has a mental illness?

It's not, and no one is making fun of it here.

I'm sure that's how you see it, but I think others see it differently.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Clever, but barely. At issue is not "belief in the paranormal" but the capacity to evaluate evidence or the garbage offered as evidence.

I understand, but the way it's handled could be better. You dismiss too much without even attempting to see the other side. When evidence was first offered you here, you didn't even want to look at it before dismissing it. It's customary to listen to the other side of the argument before condemning it.

A

angellous_evangellous

I understand, but the way it's handled could be better. You dismiss too much without even attempting to see the other side. When evidence was first offered you here, you didn't even want to look at it before dismissing it. It's customary to listen to the other side of the argument before condemning it.

It's also perfectly legitimate to recognize a source as unreliable and dismiss it without review.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Belief that is self-destructive or exploiting the destruction of others.

How is this self-destructive or destructive to others?

Of course not.

Then what was the point of mentioning mental illness?

A lot of this, I think is a reading problem.

This is insulting. I can read quite well. I have a high tolerance for offense, and I am very reasonable. That's why I think it's telling when I can see insults in something.

A

angellous_evangellous

How is this self-destructive or destructive to others?

Well, I've repeated myself quite often on this point. Much of the "evidence" for alien abduction comes from seriously ill people, and instead of encouraging them to get the help that they need, their stories are used as "evidence." This is unhealthy and very destructive, because these people can snap and kill themselves and others - not to mention become isolated from their families, lose their jobs, etc.

Then what was the point of mentioning mental illness?

See above.

This is insulting. I can read quite well. I have a high tolerance for offense, and I am very reasonable. That's why I think it's telling when I can see insults in something.

No, it's not insulting. Many people are not trained to read and interpret properly. Without tone of voice and facial cues, it's quite easy for some people to mistake a very polite comment for a malicious insult.

The reading problem, I think, can be quite easily corrected by not assuming connections that the text does not make, in this case the connection of evidence reviewed and the character of the person who may accept it. Another thing that would be helpful for you is not to assume the worst of people. It's polite to assume the best in people, and read their work accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Anyone want a beer? :trampo:

I've mentioned it before that from a different point of view, the "evidence" that is out there for Intelligent Design is criticized just as harshly by the scientific community as the evidence that is presented for alien abductions.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, I've repeated myself quite often on this point. Much of the "evidence" for alien abduction comes from seriously ill people, and instead of encouraging them to get the help that they need, their stories are used as "evidence." This is unhealthy and very destructive, because these people can snap and kill themselves and others - not to mention become isolated from their families, lose their jobs, etc.

See above.

So, anyone who believes this stuff is either mentally ill, or is following others who are mentally ill? That's much less insulting. Do you even realize how you're generalizing in exactly the same way so many people here get upset when others do about their religion?

No, it's not insulting. Many people are not trained to read and interpret properly. Without tone of voice and facial cues, it's quite easy for some people to mistake a very polite comment for a malicious insult.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that it's not insulting. I'm sorry for having my opinion. Next time I'll just ask you.

A

angellous_evangellous

Ah, thanks for clarifying that it's not insulting. I'm sorry for having my opinion. Next time I'll just ask you.

Ha! I meant to say I did not mean to insult you, but had the best intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.