• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I Do Not Understand

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Its fortunate that he provides himself an ample amount of material to giggle at.
I had to add another category to my joke classifications.

When my kids were small, I explained to them that there are different kinds of jokes. Funny all the time and funny once were the two main categories I mentioned. When they were older I added that there are theoretical jokes that are funny in the telling or in your head, but not in practice. Like my joke about the fake ax murder in the back of a pickup in front of another car. Funny in theory, but not in fact.

The new category was never funny. No matter what you tell yourself. It is similar to the theoretical joke, but apparently shouldn't even go that far.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I had to add another category to my joke classifications.

When my kids were small, I explained to them that there are different kinds of jokes. Funny all the time and funny once were the two main categories I mentioned. When they were older I added that there are theoretical jokes that are funny in the telling or in your head, but not in practice. Like my joke about the fake ax murder in the back of a pickup in front of another car. Funny in theory, but not in fact.

The new category was never funny. No matter what you tell yourself. It is similar to the theoretical joke, but apparently shouldn't even go that far.
My kids really struggle with the 'funny once' thing. We've never had the opportunity to move any further than that.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
My kids really struggle with the 'funny once' thing. We've never had the opportunity to move any further than that.
Physical humor for children can be very physical at times. That prompted my discussion with them. I explained that those types of jokes were mostly funny once. It was less painful for me that way.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Physical humor for children can be very physical at times. That prompted my discussion with them. I explained that those types of jokes were mostly funny once. It was less painful for me that way.
With Ares and LeeAnder, they'd get laughs, so it must always be funny. So lets say the same thing 26 times. It doesn't work that way, though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps I should too. I did learn a lesson.
Lessons in gas stations: at one time I had a motorcycle that you had to start from the cellulanoid with a screwdriver.

I had stopped at a gas station and walked out to start my bike up with the screwdriver, but apparently I forgot to put it in neutral when I turned it off, so as soon as I use the screwdriver to make the connection the bike took off. :p

[Here's the lesson] I looked around to see if anybody had seen me make a fool of myself, and sure enough there was this big guy standing in the doorway of the gas station looking at me and smiling.

I'm not a big guy, and I'll admit it: when a big guy I don't know is paying attention to me like that it can put me on the defensive, and I interpreted the smile as derision.

So I looked at him and yelled "What the **** are you smiling at?" and flipped him off.

I don't know what I was expecting him to do but I do know I wasn't expecting him to do what he did, which was to look hurt. I mean really hurt.

Anyway I went into the gas station (I don't remember what for) and I heard the big guy talking to the guy behind the counter and I realized right away, the big guy was mentally disabled.

For all intents and purposes I had just sworn at and flipped off a little kid, a little kid who ws probably smiling because 'motorcycles and guys with leather jackets are cool'.

I would say it made me feel like an ***hole, but the truth is it made me realize "I actually am an ***hole".

This is good knowledge to have and a handy thing to remember going forward.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Plus, I didn't want them getting into trouble, because they might overstep the boundaries of others. A lesson I had previously learned on my own.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Lessons in gas stations: at one time I had a motorcycle that you had to start from the cellulanoid with a screwdriver.

I had stopped at a gas station and walked out to start my bike up with the screwdriver, but apparently I forgot to put it in neutral when I turned it off, so as soon as I use the screwdriver to make the connection the bike took off. :p

[Here's the lesson] I looked around to see if anybody had seen me make a fool of myself, and sure enough there was this big guy standing in the doorway of the gas station looking at me and smiling.

I'm not a big guy, and I'll admit it: when a big guy I don't know is paying attention to me like that it can put me on the defensive, and I interpreted the smile as derision.

So I looked at him and yelled "What the **** are you smiling at?" and flipped him off.

I don't know what I was expecting him to do but I do know I wasn't expecting him to do what he did, which was to look hurt. I mean really hurt.

Anyway I went into the gas station (I don't remember what for) and I heard the big guy talking to the guy behind the counter and I realized right away, the big guy was mentally disabled.

For all intents and purposes I had just sworn at and flipped off a little kid, a little kid who ws probably smiling because 'motorcycles and guys with leather jackets are cool'.

I would say it made me feel like an ***hole, but the truth is it made me realize "I actually am an ***hole".

This is good knowledge to have and a handy thing to remember going forward.
That is my stance on it. Some things can't be undone. The best you can do is learn something about yourself from it and take that lesson forward to be better and maybe help you kids avoid that lesson with a much nicer one.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I say about a million funny things everyday but the Mrs gets none of them. It's her fault.
Sam doesn't get any of mine, either.

But LeeAnder does.

And he gets upset when he has to hold his breath to keep from laughing because Mom brought out the inappropriate and immature humor when Sam's around. He can't laugh, or he won't look 'cool' any more.

(Sam does not appreciate inappropriate or immature humor.)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I watched Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind the other day for the first time in 47 years. The reasons I watched it were nostalgia, reminiscing and there was a joke that I still remembered to this day and I wanted to hear again.

Close Encounters was supposed to be scary, but I never thought it was. What I remembered was the humor. The alien space ships are racing down the road just above it. This farmer says, "They can fly rings around the moon. But we're years ahead of them on the highway."

I thought that was hilarious and, for me, the most memorable part of the movie.