• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
The atheist is clearly wrong on this point. Even if "God" doesn't exist, it can be shown to be a rational decision to believe in a deity. Not ALL concepts of "God" are rational, however.

No, no concept of God is a rational one because none have any evidence to support them. So the atheist is not "clearly" wrong. The atheist is perfectly right and the belief is justified until the theist bothers to come up with evidence for their assertions.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that God exists. There is no proof, however. Most atheists dismiss any evidence that conflicts with their own position because they demand that it attain the level of absolute proof. Yet they admit that they have no proof of their own to offer, either. It's a "stacked deck" discussion and therefor a waste of time discussing it.

I'm confused here. What does an atheist have to "prove"? An atheist isn't the one claiming God exists nor is the atheist claiming God doesn't exist. Atheism is a skeptical position that holds belief in God is irrational (unsupported by evidence) and therefore we do not believe it. Most atheists hold that God might exist, but the probability of God existing is miniscule.

The theist still has not offered any evidence - even non-conclusive evidence - to suggest God exists. Again, if you have any, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

That would require opening another thread.

I invite you to do so if you are intent on proving your claims.

PureX

Veteran Member
No, no concept of God is a rational one because none have any evidence to support them. So the atheist is not "clearly" wrong. The atheist is perfectly right and the belief is justified until the theist bothers to come up with evidence for their assertions.
How have you determined that no evidence for the existence of "God" exists? And who's definition of "God" are you using, here? What about all the other definitions?
I'm confused here. What does an atheist have to "prove"?
He doesn't have to prove anything, but he does have to give evidence and reasoning for his claim.
An atheist isn't the one claiming God exists nor is the atheist claiming God doesn't exist.
Then he is simply sharing his opinion and should be ignored in terms of a philosophical debate.
Atheism is a skeptical position that holds belief in God is irrational (unsupported by evidence) and therefore we do not believe it. Most atheists hold that God might exist, but the probability of God existing is miniscule.
No, an atheist is a man who proposes that god/gods do not exist. The person you describe is just a confused agnostic with a chip on his shoulder.
The theist still has not offered any evidence - even non-conclusive evidence - to suggest God exists.
Who is this "the theist" who you have deemed the spokesman for all theists? What gave him the right to speak for all the others?
Again, if you have any, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
I suspect it would just be a waste of time, but such a discussion would require opening another thread.
I invite you to do so if you are intent on proving your claims.
It will be a waste of time if you insist on "proof". THERE IS NO PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE. THERE IS NO PROOF OF GOD'S NON-EXISTENCE. THE EXISTENCE OF "GOD" AS CURRENTLY DEFINED CAN'T BE VERIFIED.

What I can offer is evidence for, and a rational for believing in the existence of "God". But I'm not going to waste my time if you're not going to listen.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I think that's a bit of a rationalization. You might not follow any of the established religions, but I would imagine you have your own "religion", don't you? That there are some things you do only because of your belief in god? It only means you make your own rules, your own rituals, how is that any different?
I don't cut off body parts.

PureX

Veteran Member
Really? Quite a striking claim. :cover:

Can you provide an example of this "positive result" that could NOT have obtained w/o believe in a god. Any example by any god will do. Just a tangible, verifiable, demonstrable "positive result" that REQUIRES the belief in your - or anybody else's - invisible fairy god-father.
In most cases, to define "God" for one's self requires that we look into our own minds and hearts to determine what we would consider to be the absolute best example of 'being'. "God" is an ideal, after all, of all that we believe to be the absolute best. To attempt to define God for ourselves, we must attempt to define what we believe to be the 'absolute best'. In so doing we create for ourselves a goal that we didn't have before, and we can begin to see ways in which we might achieve some of the 'best' traits of that goal.

This is just one way in which believing in a "God" helps people to transcend themselves, and to become better human beings than they otherwise might have been.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Even if "God" doesn't exist, it can be shown to be a rational decision to believe in a deity. Not ALL concepts of "God" are rational, however."

Please compare and contrast the rational concepts of god with the irrational ones.
That's a lot to ask and is off-topic. A quick answer would be to believe in a "God" that tells you not to believe in gods. It's sort of like when the republicans want us to elect them because they tell us that all elected officials are incompetent.

Commoner

Headache
In most cases, to define "God" for one's self requires that we look into our own minds and hearts to determine what we would consider to be the absolute best example of 'being'. "God" is an ideal, after all, of all that we believe to be the absolute best. To attempt to define God for ourselves, we must attempt to define what we believe to be the 'absolute best'. In so doing we create for ourselves a goal that we didn't have before, and we can begin to see ways in which we might achieve some of the 'best' traits of that goal.

This is just one way in which believing in a "God" helps people to transcend themselves, and to become better human beings than they otherwise might have been.

That doesn't require belief in a god. In fact, it doesn't answer the question at all.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

It's extraordinary because humans and other living beings do not readily resurrect. There is no known instance of resurrection to us. Thus it is out of the ordinary. Hence, extraordinary.

Statistically, it's extraordinary. But if the Christian God exists (the point at issue), it's not extraordinary to claim that God has raised Jesus from the dead. Unusual? Yes. Extraordinary? No.

No belief - true or not - that is unsupported by evidence is rational.

Really? What about my memory about what I had for breakfast this morning? I believe I had toast with jam, but there is absolutely no evidence supporting my memory. No one saw me. There are no traces left of my dinner in my stomach, intenstinal tract, or stool. Nor is there any on the kitchen counter. There is no bread left in the house (my wife eats an awful lot of bread), and no one has kept track of bread or jam usage. All the dishes have been cleaned. In short, there is no possible way, even in principle, to provide evidence that I ate breakfast this morning (let alone what I had). So if we go by your rule, it is irrational for me to believe that I had toast and jam for breakfast.

And what about my a priori beliefs, such as my belief that necessarily, if All men are mortal and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal? There's no evidence for this proposition. Indeed, there can't be any. What evidence can point to a necessary truth? At most, evidence leads us to contingent truth claims, not necessary ones. Yet I think I'm rational in holding my belief that this proposition is necessarily true. (There are no possible worlds in which it is untrue.)

Faith is not evidence. You wouldn't expect "faith" to hold up in a court of law as evidence supporting your position. Why would you expect that here?

It's evidence for me. Not for you. Just as my memory belief what I had for breakfast this morning is "evidence" for me but not for you.

It's not just useful. It's integral. Most atheists (at least that I know of) are willing to change their minds should convincing evidence be presented.

It's only useful to a point. As I said, evidence and argument can clear up misapprehensions or confusions, but evidence has limited use in religious discussions. It's not because the evidence is competely absent but because, by the nature of the case, even if the evidence is quite strong, it's not so strong as to compel consent. It's possible to rationally withhold belief even in the face of very strong arguments. I won't go into probability calculus, but suffice to say that on the evidence, very little of what we think we know is very likely at all.

Not really. You can hold a belief that is true and it can still be irrational.

Take for example the "Gender" tag above this post indicating I'm male. You believe I'm male because you have evidence in favour of that. I obviously indicated my own gender and there aren't very many good reasons why I would lie about that. Hence your belief I'm male is a rational one.

You, on the other hand, have not indicated your gender, but since I find it annoying to word my posts to be gender-neutral, I word them as if you are male. I assume you are male as well. I believe you are male, even though I have no evidence to make that assertion. My belief may be true. You may indeed be male. But whether or not you are is irrelevant to the fact that my assertion is irrational because I haven't a shred of evidence to support that belief.

Get the distinction?

Of course.

Let's play your game of stickball.

You are a Christian. Being a Christian presupposes that you believe Christianity is true. Therefore you must not only disprove every other religion, you must "disprove" atheism, too.

Only if I'm involved in a dispute with an atheist about the truth (or falsity) of theism vs. atheism. In that case, then yes, I've got to shoulder some burden of proof. But I'm not involved in that project.

The trouble with what you say is that atheism makes no claims. It's a skeptical position. It ceases to be skeptical when it says "God definitely does not exist" unless it has evidence to do so - which it doesn't. Religions make positive claims and therefore they have the burden of proof on their shoulders.

So probably we should distinguish between atheists and religious skeptics, then (at least for purposes of this discussion). That way, we can call the atheist the person who makes the positive claim that there is no god of any sort, whereas the skeptic is the one who withholds belief in a god (even though that sounds more like agnosticism to me).

"Point of view" doesn't enter into the equation at all. Extraordinary means it is out of the ordinary. Resurrection is out of the ordinary. God intervening in our lives in a direct, noticeable and objective way is out of the ordinary. By objective I mean that anyone - a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, Atheist...they must all be able to recognize YOUR God in that direct intervention.

Ah. Well I think there must be something else going on with the label "extraordinary." The word also involves "unexpected given what we have reason on balance to believe about the world." Thus if you think that the natural laws are inviolate, any claim of miracle would count as extraordinary. But if you think there is a God, even though miracles might be rare (statistically extraordinary), they are not extraordinary in that other sense (I can't think of a handly label for this sort of extraordinariness). The problem is that even non-miraculous actions are bewilderingly unlikely. At the time it occurred, it was extremely unlikely that I should have traveled overseas to teach English. It was extraordinary from a statistical point of view. Yet there seems to be nothing problematic in the claim that it happened. So what's the difference with the claim that God raised Jesus from the dead? Well, the difference isn't the question of statistical extraordinariness so much as the fact that, given the way in which the world is comprised (i.e., it's godless), the claim of miracle is simply extraordinary. It is utterly out of accord with the way the world is (by your lights). But (and this is the point at issue) the Christian holds that there is a god and that this god can (and does) violate what you call the laws of nature (what the Christian calls God's usual way of acting in the world). That God would do this is not extraordinary, not unexpected.

So, perhaps the problem is with the word "extraordinary." If it's just a matter of statistics, it's not really an objection to the resurrection. Every historical action is just as unique as the resurrection. The real problem is that the resurrection violates what the skeptic takes to be inviolate laws. So any claim of miracle is irrational right from the get-go. But of course, those laws are inviolate if and only if atheism is true. So we're back to question begging.

Deities are out of the ordinary because we cannot see them and do not objectively influence us.

Who is "we" and "us"? Certainly not me. (And to forestall the obvious retort about "seeing" God, let me just qualify that as "perceive".)

Dunemeister

But so far they haven't come up with any evidence for it, or shown any rational reason for believing that they have it. So it's still irrational.

You're making an error here about the place of IIHS in the argument. The issue (presumably) is whether Christianity is rational. The argument is that if Christianity is true, it can receive warrant by IIHS (faith). With IIHS, the Holy Spirit convinces the Christian of the truth of various propositions such as that Jesus was born of a (literal) virgin.

Now, you say that this belief about the IIHS is irrational because there's no evidence for it. This raises several questions. (1) WHO needs evidence for it? The believer or the skeptic? If the believer, well, the believer HAS evidence (for her). Namely, the bible, the Christian community (which testifes about the truth of this), and, of course, the IIHS itself. Part of the Christian story is that the witness of the Spirit is self-authenticating.

Something may be worthwhile without being rational. Our love for spouse, children, parents and friends is rarely entirely rational, for instance. I don't see problem with people being Christians for irrational reasons. It's just a shame that you can't feel like a sincere Christian unless you can convince yourself that certain irrational beliefs are true.

Unfortunately, you seem wedded to the notion that rationality necessarily involves evidence and/or argument. For some reason, you seem to have ignored my counterexamples (given in several different threads in several different connections, including in this thread) concerning beliefs formed on the basis of memory, a priori reason, testimony, and perception. If you hadn't, you'd have realized that many of our beliefs are rational without appeal to evidence. My claim is that Christian belief likewise can be warranted without appeal to evidence. (That's not to say Christian beliefs can be proven true to a skeptic.)

I love my husband and I appreciate all his wonderful qualities. Nothing irrational about that. But if I sincerely believe that he is the smartest, best looking, most compassionate, most fun, most talented, most athletic man in the world, that's clearly irrational. If I further believe that everybody else would believe it too if only they were able to respond to the internal instigation of the Holy Spirit, and also that my belief about this is rational, that's completely irrational. It's so irrational that the word delusion doesn't seem to cover it.

Well of course, part of the reason IIHS seems irrational in this case is the lack of any appropriate connection between the subject matter and the means of knowing. It seems trivial and unconnected to suppose that the Holy Spirit would provide information about your husband. But there's an appropriateness about the connection between IIHS and specifically Christian doctrines, especially those doctrines whose truth cannot be ascertained through our naturally supplied cognitive endowment. (How could one learn the truth whether God was, in Christ, reconciling the world to himself without some divine aid?) That is, the means to the truth are appropriate to the sort of truth proposed. Thus, it's weird to expect that IIHS would supply me with truths about your husband. But it's more natural to expect that IIHS would supply me with information about the gospel. (Indeed, IIHS is part of the gospel message!)

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
How have you determined that no evidence for the existence of "God" exists? And who's definition of "God" are you using, here? What about all the other definitions?

God - by most definitions - exists in the supernatural world which by definition means that we cannot gather any evidence to support it. Any definition of God that places him in the natural world can be disproven because evidence can be gathered for it. Yet, none has been presented that is in any way convincing.

He doesn't have to prove anything, but he does have to give evidence and reasoning for his claim

Except atheists don't claim anything. Atheists only hold the position that belief in God is irrational because of lack of evidence. There is nothing to prove. There is the exception of a minority of atheists who claim with certainty God does not exist. I hold the burden of proof on them just as much as any theist.

Then he is simply sharing his opinion and should be ignored in terms of a philosophical debate.

So the only group that is bothering to examine evidence should be ignored? Atheists - again - that belief in God is irrational because of lack of evidence. Atheists are more than willing to debate the merits of God through logical arguments and to attempt to refute whatever "evidence" a theist offers. I don't really understand why atheists should be ignored, then.

No, an atheist is a man who proposes that god/gods do not exist. The person you describe is just a confused agnostic with a chip on his shoulder.

Not quite. An atheist (is not necessarily a man but) is a person who believes that the notion of God is unsupported by evidence and in all probability doesn't exist. "Probably doesn't exist" is not the same as "Does not exist".

Furthermore an agnostic is a person who maintains that God remains unknowable.

Who is this "the theist" who you have deemed the spokesman for all theists? What gave him the right to speak for all the others?

So I cannot refer to the whole body of believers irrespective of their individual religions? And again, if you have any evidence to share with me, I invite you to stop beating around the bush and present it.

It will be a waste of time if you insist on "proof". THERE IS NO PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE. THERE IS NO PROOF OF GOD'S NON-EXISTENCE. THE EXISTENCE OF "GOD" AS CURRENTLY DEFINED CAN'T BE VERIFIED.

What I can offer is evidence for, and a rational for believing in the existence of "God". But I'm not going to waste my time if you're not going to listen.

You've said it yourself. You've claimed that there is no proof for God's existence, yet you still try to justify belief in God. Why would you possibly believe in something unverifiable and unsupported by evidence (or to you, conclusive evidence)? I'm willing to listen to anyone sincere in their beliefs. But I simply don't get why anyone would chose to believe despite absolutely no evidence.

PureX said:

I think I see what you are saying, but it doesn't have to be about "God" does it? It can be, but it doesn't have to be. It could be any transcendent philosophical idea, it could be about "being", "goodness", "perfection", "happiness", or "transcendence". Thinking about any of these ideas could serve the purpose of trying to define an "absolute best" (as you say), creating a goal we didn't have before, striving for some ideal, thinking deep thoughts, reflecting, etc. Wouldn't you agree? Or is this just semantics?

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Statistically, it's extraordinary. But if the Christian God exists (the point at issue), it's not extraordinary to claim that God has raised Jesus from the dead. Unusual? Yes. Extraordinary? No.
Would you agree with me that the resurrection is a miracle (if it happened)? If so, you concede it is an extraordinary event. If it was an ordinary event, it would not be a miracle.

If you do not agree the resurrection is a miracle (if it happened), then you have no rationale for believing in God.

Really? What about my memory about what I had for breakfast this morning? I believe I had toast with jam, but there is absolutely no evidence supporting my memory. No one saw me. There are no traces left of my dinner in my stomach, intenstinal tract, or stool. Nor is there any on the kitchen counter. There is no bread left in the house (my wife eats an awful lot of bread), and no one has kept track of bread or jam usage. All the dishes have been cleaned. In short, there is no possible way, even in principle, to provide evidence that I ate breakfast this morning (let alone what I had). So if we go by your rule, it is irrational for me to believe that I had toast and jam for breakfast.

And what about my a priori beliefs, such as my belief that necessarily, if All men are mortal and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal? There's no evidence for this proposition. Indeed, there can't be any. What evidence can point to a necessary truth? At most, evidence leads us to contingent truth claims, not necessary ones. Yet I think I'm rational in holding my belief that this proposition is necessarily true. (There are no possible worlds in which it is untrue.)
Concerning your breakfast example, you list the very ways in which we can determine your breakfast, despite your memory loss, yet discount them all for some reason, merely say they vanish without a trace without any reason for it. Why wouldn't there be any trace of it in your body or stool?

Even still, you can look at your grocery bill, confirm the purchase of bread and jam, and thereby the quantity and ask if any of your family had bread and jam and approximately how much. If there is a difference between what you purchased and what your family ate, it is reasonable to conclude you had the remainder.

Besides, it's a moot point. We normally take things at face value without conclusive evidence. With evidence, yes, but not conclusively. But there are unimportant things that are not worth the effort of verifying.

If I told you my name is Tom, it is an unimportant issue. You are readily willing to believe my name is Tom. You don't ask to see my birth certificate, even though my name could very well be Frank.

But the issue of God is an important one because it is an extraordinary claim. Thus it requires extraordinary evidence in order to conclusively prove it. It's not a trivial matter like what my name is because my name is an ordinary claim.

It's evidence for me. Not for you. Just as my memory belief what I had for breakfast this morning is "evidence" for me but not for you.
Of course it isn't evidence for me. I wouldn't expect to go to court to defend myself and use "faith". Would you? If not, why?

It's only useful to a point. As I said, evidence and argument can clear up misapprehensions or confusions, but evidence has limited use in religious discussions. It's not because the evidence is competely absent but because, by the nature of the case, even if the evidence is quite strong, it's not so strong as to compel consent. It's possible to rationally withhold belief even in the face of very strong arguments. I won't go into probability calculus, but suffice to say that on the evidence, very little of what we think we know is very likely at all.
So basically you're saying you have evidence, but not conclusive evidence?

Well, beyond "faith"...what other evidence do you have? What evidence could you possibly have of a supernatural world which is by definition unknown?

Only if I'm involved in a dispute with an atheist about the truth (or falsity) of theism vs. atheism. In that case, then yes, I've got to shoulder some burden of proof. But I'm not involved in that project.
You've got to shoulder some burden of proof as soon as you start claiming your God exists or that another belief system is wrong if you presuppose your own is correct.

So probably we should distinguish between atheists and religious skeptics, then (at least for purposes of this discussion). That way, we can call the atheist the person who makes the positive claim that there is no god of any sort, whereas the skeptic is the one who withholds belief in a god (even though that sounds more like agnosticism to me).
Agnostics maintain they cannot possibly know. That's not necessarily what an atheist thinks is the case.

What you are describing is a small fraction of hardcore atheists. Even Richard Dawkins himself doesn't say "God does not exist", but "God probably does not exist". And you don't get to be much more of an influential atheist than Richard Dawkins.

Atheists maintain the probability is so small and the evidence in favour of God is so weak that we believe God probably does not exist.

That's the difference. There is no positive claim (except on those who claim there definitely is no God). Those people are subject to a burden of proof as well as you -rightly- state, they are making a positive claim.

Ah. Well I think there must be something else going on with the label "extraordinary." The word also involves "unexpected given what we have reason on balance to believe about the world." Thus if you think that the natural laws are inviolate, any claim of miracle would count as extraordinary. But if you think there is a God, even though miracles might be rare (statistically extraordinary), they are not extraordinary in that other sense (I can't think of a handly label for this sort of extraordinariness). The problem is that even non-miraculous actions are bewilderingly unlikely. At the time it occurred, it was extremely unlikely that I should have traveled overseas to teach English. It was extraordinary from a statistical point of view. Yet there seems to be nothing problematic in the claim that it happened. So what's the difference with the claim that God raised Jesus from the dead? Well, the difference isn't the question of statistical extraordinariness so much as the fact that, given the way in which the world is comprised (i.e., it's godless), the claim of miracle is simply extraordinary. It is utterly out of accord with the way the world is (by your lights). But (and this is the point at issue) the Christian holds that there is a god and that this god can (and does) violate what you call the laws of nature (what the Christian calls God's usual way of acting in the world). That God would do this is not extraordinary, not unexpected.

So, perhaps the problem is with the word "extraordinary." If it's just a matter of statistics, it's not really an objection to the resurrection. Every historical action is just as unique as the resurrection. The real problem is that the resurrection violates what the skeptic takes to be inviolate laws. So any claim of miracle is irrational right from the get-go. But of course, those laws are inviolate if and only if atheism is true. So we're back to question begging.
Any supposed miracle - if it really did happen - is an extraordinary event. Just because the event is from God does not make it ordinary because it is well within God's supposed powers. It makes it extraordinary because God does not normally come to Earth and create miracles in an objective way that anyone - especially non-Christians including theists and atheists - can attribute to the Christian God.

When a baby is born, you probably see that as a miracle from God (I'm assuming here, hopefully correctly). But I don't recognize it as a miracle from God because I know the biology behind it and I know exactly how that baby got there. A Pagan also wouldn't attribute that birth to God.

Judging from your other posts you seem to favour an outlook that stipulates "What's true for me may not be true for you". Correct me if I'm wrong. The problem with this is it is not objective. Genetics is true for me and true for you. Gravity is true for me and true for you. These are truths. Once you start claiming subjective truths, then the onus is on you to either provide evidence to make that truth objective or to - at the very least - show how from your perception what you believe is true. And that alone still doesn't make your belief true. But it at least demonstrates your rationale which I think is the closest we're going to get to any real answer lol.

Who is "we" and "us"? Certainly not me. (And to forestall the obvious retort about "seeing" God, let me just qualify that as "perceive".)
Fair enough. But how exactly do you "perceive" God? How do you know that influence comes from your God and not someone else's God? How do you know what you are "perceiving" isn't the powerful human mind at work creating a very real experience?

I've had very real dreams that feel like I'm in them. For example if in my dream I jump off a building, it will very realistically feel like I'm plunging off a building and I'm in freefall and I will wake up frantically when I hit the ground. That experience seems very real. It's a powerful delusion. How do you discount this possibility?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been convinced for some time now that God hates Religion.Religion substitutes for God's way.It is at the very root of all wars and is allway's at odds with each other.What soever one believes out side of the way God does is a Religion and it's all evil! But Truth hurts.In the end ALL RELIGION'S ARE VAIN INDEED! So be it!:bow:

Mr Spinkles Did you know that your avatar the Fish symbol is pagan?It represents the fish god Dagon.Totally Pagan never Christian.A simple research on this pagan deity will tell you this and more.May it never be!:yes:

Mr Spinkles Did you know that your avatar the Fish symbol is pagan?It represents the fish god Dagon.Totally Pagan never Christian.A simple research on this pagan deity will tell you this and more.May it never be!:yes:

I am pretty sure dagon's symbol doesn't have feet or the English word think in it and I am pretty sure it faces the other way, I am also pretty sure pagans didn't have sole rights to simple line drawings of fish like creatures.

themadhair

A summation of some arguments being presented:

PureX is arguing that ‘god’ is what “ we believe to be the absolute best”. So much for using ‘god’ as a label/descriptor for mystery as (s)he was trying to argue earlier. Assigning qualities and traits to an unknown through definition is irrational.

Dunemeister is arguing that if god existed the resurrection would not be extraordinary. The reason the event is considered a miracle is precisely because it is extraordinary. So good luck with trying to declassify the extraordinary as ordinary for you flawed breakfast analogy.

Dunemeister is also insisting that the act of believing is evidence. As I said previously – totally irrational. The IIHS is meandering smokescreen to disguise/justify the inherent irrationality present here.

Dunemeister has, yet again despite being called out for twice by myself and I’m sure by others two, committed the same strawman fallacy by equivocating evidence and rationality. Lack of evidence doesn’t make an argument irrational as you claim, but you are ignoring the strong evidence against which renders it irrational. Virgin birth and resurrection have an entire field of science against them (biology). You will commit this strawman again I suspect.

Dunemeister has also committed circular logic. The argument is essentially that if Christianity is true then Christians have evidence in the form of IIHS because IIHS is connected to Christian scripture. Essentially a more elaborate version of the bible is true because the bible says it’s true.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think I see what you are saying, but it doesn't have to be about "God" does it? It can be, but it doesn't have to be. It could be any transcendent philosophical idea, it could be about "being", "goodness", "perfection", "happiness", or "transcendence". Thinking about any of these ideas could serve the purpose of trying to define an "absolute best" (as you say), creating a goal we didn't have before, striving for some ideal, thinking deep thoughts, reflecting, etc. Wouldn't you agree? Or is this just semantics?
I see very few people studying their own idea of perfection, and then trying to attain it. I see a whole lot of folks studying the character and will of "God", and then trying to emulate it. I don't know if a person would have to use the god-ideal to follow such a transformative path, but it certainly seems as though most human beings do it that way.

PureX

Veteran Member
A summation of some arguments being presented:

PureX is arguing that ‘god’ is what “ we believe to be the absolute best”. So much for using ‘god’ as a label/descriptor for mystery as (s)he was trying to argue earlier. Assigning qualities and traits to an unknown through definition is irrational.
"God" is not a singular idea. And assigning qualities to an unknown is not irrational, especially when it produces positive results for people.

In the future, when you try to label something "irrational", please take the time to lay out the irrationality. You're simply repeating the charge over and over doesn't make it so.

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps we can gain some ground here by simplifying. PureX, could you provide your top 3 pieces of evidence for the existence of God?
Sure ...

1. The idea of God works for most people most of the time. Ideas that work for us on a regular basis tend to be taken as accurate.

2. The ordered nature of existence forces us to consider the reality of a "God". Existence is not random. How do we explain this? What is responsible for the order? And why? The answers to these questions are a mystery, and we have named this mystery "God".

3. Energy can express itself as consciousness (take ourselves as an example), again, forcing us to consider that a consciousness could in turn express itself as energy (in much the same way as matter and energy are interchangeable). If so, all of existence could well be the "mind of God, expressed", just as the ancients claimed.