• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

Dunemeister

There is a wealth of knowledge and information on such experiences, in history, literature, psychology, neuroscience. And the evidence in my opinion strongly supports the hypothesis that these entities are creations of the human mind, not external agents coming down to visit the mind.

The evidence suggest that only because you presuppose the view that there is no holy spirit (or magic or aliens or....)

Does the experience change due to social context? (Americans attribute it to toast, but Indians attribute it to bananas?)

Of course it does. And so it should. We're dealing with a person, after all, not a physical force (or anything analagous to that). So why should we expect anything else? Otherwise, I'm not sure why this question is relevant to anything, in particular the truth of the claim that something like IIHS is possible.

Can/has the putative object of the experience be verified by non-human devices? (Toast: yes. Holy Spirit: no.)

I'm not sure what a non-human device is, nor am I quite clear why it's relevant that "non-human devices" can "verify" anything. No non-human device can confirm the following proposition:

Necessarily, if all men are mortal and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal.

I believe that this proposition is necessarily true. What device can verify that this proposition is necessarily true? And if there are no such devices, are we to suspend our judgment about this proposition? Are we to withhold the belief that it's necessarily true (true in all possible worlds)? That seems a bit weird to me. And perhaps something similar is the case with respect to IIHS. (Keep in mind that my main argument is not that IIHS is true but that it's possible.)

What sort of conditions induce the experience? (For toast, it is just the eating of toast. For Holy Spirit, it depends on the person but psychological suggestion, religious objects, psychoactive drugs, and brain stimulation help.)

Well, let's be clear what we are talking about here. I'm not suggesting that Christian beliefs obtain warrant by way of experience. Rather, Christian beliefs obtain warrant through IIHS. That is, a belief is presented to me through the bible or preaching, such as "God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself." Through the operation of IIHS, I am convinced of the truth of this proposition. This conviction may be attended by some other experience but need not be.

But as to experiences of God, I freely admit that certain circumstances increase the probability of having the experience. For instance, many people suggest that worship is just such a context. The music, smells, tastes, and textures involved in Christian liturgy frequently put someone in the proper frame of mind to experience God. So what? I have to orient myself properly to see a plane over my head; why shouldn't we expect that, in order to experience God, we need to orient ourselves properly?

What sort of person is more/less likely to have the experience? (For toast, it's simply anyone who eats toast.)

Well, this seems unproblematic for Christianity at any rate. An extraordinarily wide variety of personalities and personality types claim to have experienced God in a Christian manner. So it seems that there's no particular "type" that is "susceptible" to Christian religious experience. But even if there were, so what? That doesn't even so much as slyly suggest that there's anything irrational or wrong or otherwise deflationary about Christian belief based on experience (where in fact it is based on experience -- as I said, it need not be).

Would the explanation of the experience violate known laws of physics? (Toast: no. Holy Spirit: yes. Neurons fire for no reason -- this violates basic energy conservation.)

Well, if God exists, there should be no problem with "violating" the "laws" of physics. What you call a law of physics I call God's typical way of acting in the world. If God should choose to act in another way, what of that? Besides, in an experience of God, neurons fire for a reason -- God is stimulating them.

So there do seem to be key differences between what causes the experience of eating toast and what causes the experience of Holy Spirit, any way you "slice" it (so to speak).

Sure, there are differences. Why should we expect otherwise, and why should that constitute a problem?

Dunemeister

This ties into your first point. Why wouldn't they be able to calculate it? Most families have routines. A lot of families routinely eat the same breakfast everyday.

If my family has no routine (we're a disorganized bunch), does that render my belief in what I had for breakfast a week ago irrational? Honestly, this line you are taking is simply absurd. You really should abandon it.

Regardless, as I said before, you believing you had toast and jam for breakfast is an ordinary claim. Thus it does not require exhaustive evidence. You are comparing this to claims of miracles - which are extraordinary - and do require exhaustive evidence. The resurrection and your breakfast are two very different claims with one being much more significant and important than the other, no?

Look, you are going to have to stop moving the goal posts. Your original complaint is that evidence is required for any belief to be rational. I put up beliefs based on memory (and testimony, and a priori beliefs, perception....) as examples of beliefs that are rational quite apart from evidence. Then you raise the complaint of ordinariness. Memory is "ordinary." Well, so is IIHS. At least 1/3 of the planet (and many others besides, perhaps over 75% in total) avail themselves of IIHS (if my account is true, which is possible).

If you have evidence for it, it's rational. If you don't have evidence for it, it's irrational. Rationality is not the lone decider of truth. However, it's still indicative of the truth. If you have evidence for what you ate, that's a rational belief. If you don't have evidence for what you ate, you may still have eaten the toast and jam...but it's still irrational to believe so without evidence for it.

This is completely off-the-charts weird. I remember eating toast with jam. I have no evidence for that belief, but somehow I'm irrational for believing it? If that's the case, humans are 99% irrational because 99% of what we believe is based on memory. That's a bitter pill.

Concerning your bacterial example, it would be rational to believe the jam has potentially fatal bacteria in it because of the recall. Food companies have food scientists employed to test the quality of the food and to test for bacteria. Whether or not the jam does have bacteria is irrelevant because considering that there is a 75% chance you'll die, it would be perfectly reasonable to apply a precautionary principle and go see a doctor immediately.

Well, we seem to be using different accounts of rationality. I'm not asking whether it's rational, given that I believe in the bacteria, to go to the doctor. If I believe I have a bacterial infection, and if I believe that going to the doctor is the best way to protect myself, then of course it's rational to go to the doctor. But this is means-ends rationality, not doxastic rationality. The question is whether my belief that the jam is infected is rational. The fact is, I have NO INFORMATION to go on. I can presume stuff about what food companies have or don't have (food scientists, etc.). But I don't know whether they HAVE food scientists. If they have them, I don't know if they're any good. If they're any good, I don't know they haven't been bribed to give false results. The possibilities are endless. I don't really have any evidence whatsoever for my belief that the jam has bacteria in it. The only thing I have to go on is that the food company says so. Yet, it seems, the belief is rational. Rational without a shred of evidence. Therefore, there are at least some beliefs it is rational to hold without evidence. QED.

Just is the same with God. You are telling me there is fatal bacteria in my jam when I have no reason to believe you.

Okay, you are changing the case again. I believe in God. The question is whether it is rational for me to believe it without evidence. I think it is. But you're raising another question, whether it is rational for you (who don't believe in God) to adopt a belief in God without evidence. I would say yes, so long as it was done according to IIHS and not otherwise. It's not rational to do so based on arguments and evidence because the arguments are not sufficiently weighty. So unless you are assisted via IIHS, I should think your coming to a belief in God is rather irrational.

I did not claim belief in God is illegal - nor should it be. My point was that you wouldn't expect to go to a courtroom and defend yourself using only evidence of "faith" and possibly win. It has nothing to do with the rationality of belief, but the standard of evidence that denotes faith.

Well it's the rationality of the belief that's at issue here. Is my belief in God rational? If not, tell me why. So far, you have only said stuff about evidence, but then you've confused the issue by changing the context into one where I'm trying to convince you to adopt Christian belief. I'm not trying to do that, and that's not the case I've been working with. I've been working with the case of my own belief in God. Some say my belief is irrational. I've argued that there is no non-question-begging way to accuse me of irrationality.

Smoke

Done here.
as a matter of fact, the Holy Spirit's witness is self-authenticating.
Well, there we are again. What it all comes down to is that you believe it because it feels right to you. Other people believe contradictory things because they seem right to them. Your feelings and beliefs may seem self-authenticating to you, but they certainly don't authenticate anything to anybody but you. The Mormon and the Baptist and the Sufi and the Shiite are all in the same boat as far as evidence goes. To an outside observer, there is absolutely no evidence that any one of you, or any one of you is right.

I'm not saying that an irrational belief is necessarily false or necessarily harmful, although I think they generally are. I am saying that if you can't produce evidence or a logical argument for the belief, it is not a rational belief, however admirable it may be in other ways.

Smoke

Done here.
Okay, let's put it back a week rather than a day. I've had several bowel movements, so there's no trace of the breakfast anywhere in my body.
Okay, let's do that. Now we have may have more trouble finding any evidence that you ate the toast. Maybe we won't find any. But you're not claiming that you had an encounter with the Holy Spirit in the distant past and the evidence has disappeared. You're claiming that you have an ongoing experience of the Holy Spirit. It's not that the evidence has disappeared; there simply isn't any, and never was.

Dunemeister

Well, there we are again. What it all comes down to is that you believe it because it feels right to you.

That's true of each and every person's each and every belief. When you believe something, it's because it seems right to you. So yes, there's a sense in which I believe what I believe because it feels right.

But it seems that we're losing the thread of the argument. The question is whether a Christian's belief in God (or the other more specific things Christians belief) is rational. I say it is because Christians have access, via IIHS, to the truth of the various Christian beliefs (resurrection, virgin birth, the lot).

One of the mistakes we've made in this thread is to import experience into this. I'm not saying that Christians believe God because of an experience. Rather, I'm saying that we believe it as a result of the working of IIHS, which is a reliable belief-producing mechanism aimed at the truth.

Further, I say that IIHS is possible. I'm not arguing that, because I get my beliefs via IIHS that therefore my Christian beliefs are true. I'm only saying that, if the Christian story is true, it is probably warranted by something very like IIHS. So the question whether Christians are rational is really a question whether Christianity is true. So if you want to say Christians are irrational, you had better be prepared to demonstrate that Christianity is false.

I'm not saying that an irrational belief is necessarily false or necessarily harmful, although I think they generally are. I am saying that if you can't produce evidence or a logical argument for the belief, it is not a rational belief, however admirable it may be in other ways.

You have simply ignored almost everything I've said. It's unclear to me that this conversation can proceed profitably unless and until you actually show me that you've at least read the reams and reams of what I've read that refutes this very claim. The very least you can do me is the courtesy to read what I've written, especially when it's very much on point. In particular, I've already shown that we believe a great deal without evidence, and we are rational in so doing. Indeed, MOST of our beliefs are completely without evidence, yet we are rational in believing them. Just read back a few posts, and you'll see my arguments. Please address them rather than just gainsaying them.

Dunemeister

Okay, let's do that. Now we have may have more trouble finding any evidence that you ate the toast. Maybe we won't find any. But you're not claiming that you had an encounter with the Holy Spirit in the distant past and the evidence has disappeared. You're claiming that you have an ongoing experience of the Holy Spirit. It's not that the evidence has disappeared; there simply isn't any, and never was.

Again, we're getting sidetracked by questions of experience. I do say that I've experienced the Holy Spirit. However, it's no part of my argument that these experiences furnish evidence that support Christian belief. Indeed, IIHS may operate without producing any particular experience at all. Christian belief, as I've always said, is rational without evidence because it is properly basic.

Smoke

Done here.
You have simply ignored almost everything I've said.
No, I haven't ignored it. I've read it and sincerely tried to understand your point of view. But no matter how I look at it, you are still mind-bogglingly, stupefyingly wrong. You believe that it's rational to believe in something with no evidence, no logical support, no verifiable experience of any kind. You have managed somehow to convince yourself that your feelings are the Holy Spirit. Well, fine. I leave you to it. But you will never convince a rational person that your argument here is rational.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
If my family has no routine (we're a disorganized bunch), does that render my belief in what I had for breakfast a week ago irrational? Honestly, this line you are taking is simply absurd. You really should abandon it.

My line of reasoning is absurd? You have consistently moved the goalposts with your answers so that evidence is unattainable. In such a case where evidence is unattainable to support a particular belief, that belief is irrational whether it is true or not. There is nothing absurd about requiring evidence to believe something. In fact, that's how human knowledge progresses.

Look, you are going to have to stop moving the goal posts. Your original complaint is that evidence is required for any belief to be rational. I put up beliefs based on memory (and testimony, and a priori beliefs, perception....) as examples of beliefs that are rational quite apart from evidence. Then you raise the complaint of ordinariness. Memory is "ordinary." Well, so is IIHS. At least 1/3 of the planet (and many others besides, perhaps over 75% in total) avail themselves of IIHS (if my account is true, which is possible).

I haven't moved any goalposts. I've never had any goalposts to move to begin with. I did - and still do - claim that any belief that is unsupported by evidence is irrational. It's irrational to believe something with no evidence for it.

This is completely off-the-charts weird. I remember eating toast with jam. I have no evidence for that belief, but somehow I'm irrational for believing it? If that's the case, humans are 99% irrational because 99% of what we believe is based on memory. That's a bitter pill.

Source? I'm not one to accept statistics off-hand. Especially when they are so farfetched.

There was an experiment once done where a group was taken on a hike. Unbeknownst to the hikers, the investigators set up an "alien crash site" and put actors dressed as FBI there. The encounter was secretly video-taped to confirm what actually happened. When they returned from the hike, they were asked what they saw. It was mostly accurate as to what happened with minor exaggerations.

Six months later they were asked what they saw and the exaggerations were so great, the story was extremely dissimilar to what happened on the video.

It's the mind's human nature to exaggerate things or to confuse memories with each other. A memory alone is not sufficient to conclusively prove what you had for breakfast.

However, as I said before, it's an ordinary claim. People normally eat toast and jam for breakfast and in all likelihood you did. Regardless, there is no significance as to what you had for breakfast.

However, you compare this to the existence of God which is an extraordinary claim and DOES require conclusive proof before we can accept it because not only does it have great significance, it's a concept that is not readily apparent in the laws of nature. It's an extraordinary claim which would shift how we think and how we operate. Thus it requires extraordinary evidence.

You're comparing apples and oranges. You cannot compare the standards of proof for an ordinary claim with the standards of proof for an extraordinary claim.

Well, we seem to be using different accounts of rationality. I'm not asking whether it's rational, given that I believe in the bacteria, to go to the doctor. If I believe I have a bacterial infection, and if I believe that going to the doctor is the best way to protect myself, then of course it's rational to go to the doctor. But this is means-ends rationality, not doxastic rationality. The question is whether my belief that the jam is infected is rational. The fact is, I have NO INFORMATION to go on. I can presume stuff about what food companies have or don't have (food scientists, etc.). But I don't know whether they HAVE food scientists. If they have them, I don't know if they're any good. If they're any good, I don't know they haven't been bribed to give false results. The possibilities are endless. I don't really have any evidence whatsoever for my belief that the jam has bacteria in it. The only thing I have to go on is that the food company says so. Yet, it seems, the belief is rational. Rational without a shred of evidence. Therefore, there are at least some beliefs it is rational to hold without evidence. QED.

If there wasn't someone doing quality control testing, how would they know to do the recall? Added to the fact a recall costs a company a LOT of money. This is why (I'm assuming you're American), you have organizations like the FDA - to protect from from bacterial jam. The mere fact it is recalled is enough evidence considering the risk and the relative frequency with which food products are recalled, and the competence of the organizations which normally monitor it.

In science class, do I accept the principles being taught, even though I have not seen 100% of the evidence to support them? Of course I do. Because I know that more learned people than me did do the research according to a rigorous standard and that my current knowledge is not sufficient to completely understand the concept as they do. However, I can see part of the evidence presented in the textbooks and I can see the rationale and I can apply those principles and verify them myself (depending on the principle, this may or may not be an easy task).

But my life does not depend on knowing 100% of the evidence concerning the Theory of Gravity. But my life would depend on believing that a bunch of guys in white coats with fancy degrees who know what they are doing say that there is a 75% chance I will die if I eat a particular jam. I am inclined to believe them.

And more often then not, things are recalled when someone is already sick. It's a rational belief. You do not have conclusive proof, but the precautionary principle doesn't demand conclusive proof, it demands whatever course of action minimizes risk to yourself. It doesn't matter what you label the rationality as. It's still a rational action because it is based off evidence. Maybe not YOUR evidence, but it is still based on evidence. You can apply the precautionary principle to ordinary claims, but not to extraordinary ones because extraordinary claims require more evidence.

If you told me about a jam recall and I saw corroborating news stories on it, I'd believe you and as a precaution I wouldn't eat the jam and if I had already, go see a doctor.

If you told me aliens were invading and giving out free enemas, I would not be inclined to believe you as that is in extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence.

Okay, you are changing the case again. I believe in God. The question is whether it is rational for me to believe it without evidence. I think it is. But you're raising another question, whether it is rational for you (who don't believe in God) to adopt a belief in God without evidence. I would say yes, so long as it was done according to IIHS and not otherwise. It's not rational to do so based on arguments and evidence because the arguments are not sufficiently weighty. So unless you are assisted via IIHS, I should think your coming to a belief in God is rather irrational.

If IIHS is unsupported by evidence, then again, it's irrational.

You say belief in God is only rational through IIHS. However, how is believing in God through IIHS any different from believing Peter Pan was a real person? Neither involve evidence or logic which is integral if you want to prove something in the material world. The material world is all we know of. We cannot speak of anything outside of it with any certainty. "Faith" is not a substitute - and never should be a substitute - for evidence, logic, and reason.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Still have to use two posts lol.

Well it's the rationality of the belief that's at issue here. Is my belief in God rational? If not, tell me why. So far, you have only said stuff about evidence, but then you've confused the issue by changing the context into one where I'm trying to convince you to adopt Christian belief. I'm not trying to do that, and that's not the case I've been working with. I've been working with the case of my own belief in God. Some say my belief is irrational. I've argued that there is no non-question-begging way to accuse me of irrationality.

Belief in anything supernatural is irrational because we cannot gather material, historical, or logical evidence to verify its existence. If you don't have any naturalistic evidence, you don't have any evidence.

And where did I say you were trying to convert me to Christianity? I certainly don't recall this and - unlike you - my memory alone isn't sufficient to accept your claim or verify my own. I may be wrong in believing I have said no such thing. But I would demand you produce a quotation, or else you have not fulfilled your burden of proof.

Nonetheless even if you were, you're doing a pretty horrible job because this whole time you've been contradicting yourself. You've repeatedly said that evidence and logical arguments aren't a rational way of concluding God exists, but faith is. Yet, you have - attempted - to demonstrate to me legitimate evidence and logical arguments. If you yourself think evidence and logical arguments aren't "weighty" enough, why would you even bother offering it as "proof"? Rather if you are trying to demonstrate the rationality of believing in God, I daresay it would be more worthwhile to focus on the only means you believe makes believing in God a rational venture - this IIHS.

And yet, when this IIHS is not based on evidence or logical arguments, it has no value to verify anything for what is the methodology that it uses to verify it? Evidence uses science. Logic uses philosophy. And often times logic is used as a supplement to scientific justification. What does IIHS use and how does that methodology reduce chance of error and rule out all other possible conclusions? Especially when we have naturalistic explanations for the origin of the universe (none that have been conclusively proven), why would a belief in a God that is - at best - irrelevant be rational? I think to claim so would be a plain denial of fact.

I'm not calling YOU irrational. I'm calling your belief in God irrational. And I've begged no question in doing this. A rational claim is supported by evidence. An irrational one is not.

Evidence is only useful if it is naturalistic as we can only verify things in the natural world. Any other purported "supernatural evidence" has no means of verification. Therefore, it is useless, even if any does supposedly exist.

Your God lays in the supernatural realm. Even if you have evidence to offer - you claim this IIHS as your sole evidence for believing in God - this IIHS has no methodology by which you can verify your claim. One you produce how you verify your claim with IIHS, you'll have successfully convinced me to become a Christian (whether or not this is your intent) because I will have to accept your verification and evidence.

But since there is no verification, that renders your claim irrational. Provide a legitimate verification for IIHS and your claim will be a rational one.

nonbeliever_92

PureX doesn't know what an atheist is does he?

Atheist-Agnostic (Weak Atheist) Believes that god doesn't exists, and doesn't know if s/he/it does. May also believe that man may never know whether a god exists or not.

Atheist-Gnostic (Strong Atheist) Believes that god doesn't exists and claims to know that s/he/it doesn't.

Theist-Gnostic- Believes in a diety and knows that it exists.

Theist-Agnostic- Believes in a diety and doesn't know if s/he/it exists.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I have a problem with your definition of "Atheist Gnostic".

Specifically with the "claiming to know that God doesn't exist".

Nobody can claim to know God does exist and likewise nobody can claim to know God doesn't exist without being irrational. If I am to go by your definition, I have to say Strong Atheists hold an irrational belief. I would have to say Theist Gnostics are just as irrational.

The only way we can hold rational beliefs that God does or doesn't exist is if we speak in terms of probability. We can have rational reasons for believing God is highly probable or highly improbable.

Victor Stenger is a Strong Atheist, but he himself in "God: The Failed Hypothesis" presents no conclusive evidence of why God is "failed". He does tear apart religious arguments quite well - including the kalam. But the weakest part of his book is when he offers naturalistic explanations for the origins of the universe and says they haven't been proven conclusively, yet we can easily demonstrate how a naturalistic explanation is possible without God.

I disagree. The existence of possible other outcomes does not rule out others. God is still highly improbable, but not ruled out because of alternative naturalistic explanations. I think Stenger made a serious logical flaw in his book. This is the logical flaw that strong atheists (going by your definition) would succumb to.

Rather alternatively, I would reword your definitions in terms of probability.

Weak atheist - believes God is unlikely, but we probably cannot know for sure anyways.
Strong atheist - believes God is highly unlikely, almost to the point of ruling out God's existence entirely, but believes we cannot know for sure.

And I'll add:

Fundamentalist Atheist - believes God definitely does not exist and we can know God doesn't exist through logic, reason, and evidence.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
The only fundamentalist atheist I have encountered on these forums is richardlowellt. The only thing I disagree with him on is his notion we can with 100% certainty disprove the existence of God.

PureX

Veteran Member
I have a problem with your definition of "Atheist Gnostic".

Specifically with the "claiming to know that God doesn't exist".

Nobody can claim to know God does exist and likewise nobody can claim to know God doesn't exist without being irrational. If I am to go by your definition, I have to say Strong Atheists hold an irrational belief. I would have to say Theist Gnostics are just as irrational.

The only way we can hold rational beliefs that God does or doesn't exist is if we speak in terms of probability. We can have rational reasons for believing God is highly probable or highly improbable.

Victor Stenger is a Strong Atheist, but he himself in "God: The Failed Hypothesis" presents no conclusive evidence of why God is "failed". He does tear apart religious arguments quite well - including the kalam. But the weakest part of his book is when he offers naturalistic explanations for the origins of the universe and says they haven't been proven conclusively, yet we can easily demonstrate how a naturalistic explanation is possible without God.

I disagree. The existence of possible other outcomes does not rule out others. God is still highly improbable, but not ruled out because of alternative naturalistic explanations. I think Stenger made a serious logical flaw in his book. This is the logical flaw that strong atheists (going by your definition) would succumb to.

Rather alternatively, I would reword your definitions in terms of probability.

Weak atheist - believes God is unlikely, but we probably cannot know for sure anyways.
Strong atheist - believes God is highly unlikely, almost to the point of ruling out God's existence entirely, but believes we cannot know for sure.

And I'll add:

Fundamentalist Atheist - believes God definitely does not exist and we can know God doesn't exist through logic, reason, and evidence.
Where you all are screwing up here is that you're applying the term to people, instead of to philosophical propositions. That's why your term keeps having to cover more and more and more variations of "belief". Ultimately, you're going to have as many "kinds of atheists" as you have people who call themselves atheists. And all that gets us is one big mass of self-centered confusion.

If you apply the term to philosophical propositions, then the term remains simple and clear. An atheist proposes that god/gods do not exist. A theist proposes that a god or gods do exist, and an agnostic proposes that we can't determine the existence of god/gods at our current state of development. How people feel or believe, personally, may then land anywhere along this scale. They may be strongly atheistic. They may be equally agnostic and atheistic. They may be 75% theist 25% agnostic. Whatever. Keep the terms tied to the philosophical propositions they represent, and then let the people place themselves wherever they want to within those categories.

There aren't "kinds" of atheists, but DEGREES of atheism.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

Had to put this into two posts because it was almost 15000 characters long lmao.

Yeah, I've had to do serious editing myself. By the way, I'm not going to get into these arguments, just point out ways in which you've misunderstood them or whatever. The point I made is that arguments are available. I actually agree with you that they don't coerce belief. The skeptic has his wiggle room.

Firstly, kalam is false because it presupposes everything has a cause. If you use the kalam argument you must explain where God came from. And you cannot say that "God was always there" or "God is infinite" because that would violate the very kalam argument you are using.

No, Kalam says that everything that began to exist has a cause. That the universe began to exist is reasonably uncontroversial, and so the natural question is what caused it to exist. On the other hand, God did not begin to exist. Thus we don't have to explain his existence in terms of anything else.

Another way to put this (got this from Plato) is that everything in the universe (the physical universe) is contingent. That is, it depends on something else for its existence and/or sustenance. Therefore, the whole universe is contingent. So how do we explain the existence of the whole chain of contingent things? What might cause this chain to continue to exist? Well, we need something noncontingent (i.e., something that doesn't itself depend on anything else for its existence) to explain the existence of the universe.

Again, I can see ways for the skeptic to get around this. The skeptic might try to argue (however implausibly) that the universe is noncontingent. I don't think that argument is convincing, but there's nothing that says it isn't possible.

As for moral arguments, again, how do you reckon conflicting moral philosophies? If morality only comes from God, then other moral codes must therefore come from other Gods. Either you must acknowledge the existence of many other Gods who created these other moral codes (and justify not accepting them and accepting the moral code of your God), or you must show why God would create so many conflicting moral codes.

Well if my argument is approximately right, God is the source of our sense of right and wrong. If Christianity is true, God created us in his image, and it is because we bear his image we have access to moral truths. However, as it happens, our divine sense (that which we use to know truths about God and morality) is damaged through sin. As a result, we don't know God and morality as we ought. Thus we have that deplorable blooming, buzzing confusion about ethics, not to mention umpteen religions. So I don't have to acknowledge the existence of other gods to explain other moral codes. I can write it all off as confusion created by sin.

The historical argument for Jesus' resurrection is also a no-go because of many conflicts in the Bible and not to mention that a lot of the events do not match up with known historical records.

This misunderstands the case. Why should we expect every important Roman decree to have survived the ravages of time? And the hand-waving to "conflicts in the bible" is, to say the least, uninformative. Suffice to say that you have a lot of catching up to do on such things as historiography.

Not to mention Philo and Josephus wrote of King Herod's brutality and how he killed family members in order to retain power. But they never wrote of Herod killing all the cute little babies - a danger which Jesus was subjected to. So if the Bible is so fundamentally flawed historically, why on Earth would you possibly accept it as an accurate historical record?

Again, this doesn't show a flaw in the biblical history. Why should we expect Philo or Josephus to have recorded every atrocity by every tyrant? Why should the fact that Philo and Josephus (more accurately, those histories we have from them that have survived the ravages of time) don't record these events to be evidence that they didn't happen? That's just weird.

As for the "fine-tunedness of the universe's constants", this is irrelevant because it has been demonstrated that universes can still function much in the same way as ours does when some fundamental forces are removed completely. And the fine-tunedness arguments rely on all the other constants remaining the same. But why would the other constants remain the same?

Again, this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the argument. The argument is that life requires a great number of universal constants to have an infinitessimally small range. So yeah, we might have a "universe" that "functions" with different constants, but we wouldn't have life. The argument was convincing enough to move such a staunch athiest as Antony Flew to a deist position. Flew is nothing if not a hard-nosed skeptic. So if you are not impressed by the argument, may I humbly suggest that you are either not conversant with the issues it raises or there is another source for your skepticism?

Furthermore the important fact of the matter aren't the constants, but the ratios that exist in the universe. I wonder why Creationists never address them as they might have a much stronger argument to make.

Okay, let's add those in.

All these "arguments" have been repeatedly shot down. Either on logical or evidential grounds.

Of course they have.

Agnostics claim that evidence is unattainable. That is a positive claim they make.

Some agnostics say this. Not all. Some agnostics say that we just don't have it.

But evidence being required for belief in God? That's true for everything. Evidence - to whatever standard suits the purpose - is required for all things. That's hardly a positive claim. And claiming there isn't enough of it is kind of redundant if they say it is unattainable, which as I said, is a positive claim and agnostics have that burden of proof.

This completely ignores everything I've said for dozens of posts. Let's take that claim: "It is irrational to believe anything without evidence." Do you have evidence for that claim? Probably not. So clearly, you don't need evidence to believe some things. Evidence is simply not required for some of our beliefs to be rational. In fact, I'd go farther. MOST of our beliefs are rational without evidence.

Laws of nature are merely what humans describe as what normally happens in the universe with almost no exceptions. They are basic truths about the universe around us from hard observation that fits with mountains of data.

Thus the probability of an event violating the laws of nature is statistically almost nothing. That's why when somebody claims a miracle, we look for other explanations the laws of nature offer us before we conclude that it was something we cannot explain.

Faced with the mountains of evidence that Jesus actually rose from the dead, one might say "Well look, I can't explain all these evidences. I admit that the best explanation for it all is that Jesus did in fact rise from the dead. However, we know that such things can't happen because the laws of nature are inviolate. So although I don't have another explanation right now, even though the evidence points to resurrection, I don't believe the resurrection."

For most of my life, I had it. And then I saw it was very irrational. Any belief that you cannot objectively prove is irrational, no matter what way you slice it.

That's simply not so. And what's sad is that you know it's not so. Once again, take your belief: "Any belief you cannot objectively prove is irrational." Apparently you think this belief is rational, but can you 'objectively' prove it? No. Must be irrational (I believe it is, but for different reasons).

From our communication, I know that you know how to speak English, you have some knowledge of computers, and the experiences you describe in communication are things I can attest to (Ex. bread/jam, breakfast, etc). So at the bare minimum the world we perceive is mostly the same. And probably completely the same. The exception are people who have a disability - are blind, deaf, mute, etc, or even mental disabilities. There are obviously differences there. But our common functioning senses are all the same. Someone who is blind experiences touch, smell, and hearing just as a sighted person does.

This is basically how I explain other people's lack of belief in God. Spiritual blindness. Something has gone awry with the cognitive establishment.

Besides, why would your God give you the ability to perceive him and not me and other non-believers?

I really don't know. It puzzles me more than anyone.

That's possible for any belief. Not just your own. I'm just wondering how you rule that out because it's a more ordinary conclusion (the powerful human mind creating "experiences") than your extraordinary one (It's God).

It's broadly logically possible. I rule it out because it just seems obviously false.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Where you all are screwing up here is that you're applying the term to people, instead of to philosophical propositions. That's why your term keeps having to cover more and more and more variations of "belief". Ultimately, you're going to have as many "kinds of atheists" as you have people who call themselves atheists. And all that gets us is one big mass of self-centered confusion.

If you apply the term to philosophical propositions, then the term remains simple and clear. An atheist proposes that god/gods do not exist. A theist proposes that a god or gods do exist, and an agnostic proposes that we can't determine the existence of god/gods at our current state of development. How people feel or believe, personally, may then land anywhere along this scale. They may be strongly atheistic. They may be equally agnostic and atheistic. They may be 75% theist 25% agnostic. Whatever. Keep the terms tied to the philosophical propositions they represent, and then let the people place themselves wherever they want to within those categories.

There aren't "kinds" of atheists, but DEGREES of atheism.

You are absolutely 100% wrong. You could not be further from the truth.

Stay with me here, this isn't hard.

Weak atheists/agnostics think God is unlikely, but say there's no way we can possibly know for sure.
Strong atheists think God is very highly unlikely, but say there's no way we can possibly know for sure (but so unlikely to the point we can rule God out as a possible explanation for anything pretty safely).
Fundamentalist atheists think God doesn't exist, and say we CAN possibly know.

One "kind" of atheist saying that knowledge of God IS possible and another "kind" of atheist saying that knowledge of God ISN'T possible is not varying "degrees", but totally different classifications.

Furthermore the reasoning used by weak, strong, and fundamentalist atheists are totally different. Weak atheists would be inclined to use the crutch that you can't disprove God for increasing the probability in their eyes. They would still think God is unlikely, but a lot more likely than a strong atheist would find God. Fundamentalist atheists would be inclined to use logical arguments and evidence for "disproving" God, but the very nature of God is undisprovable. Strong atheists would also use evidence and logic to demonstrate the improbability of God, but recognize that God is a concept that cannot be disproven. So strong atheists concede there is a tiny, miniscule chance of God existing because we can't possibly know for sure. But in all likelihood, God doesn't.

So there are atheists on both sides of the "Is this knowledge attainable?" question and all three aforementioned groups have different rationales for believing what they do. There is no "degree" of atheism. There aren't endless classifications for every atheist.