• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

We Never Know

No Slack
Apparently Biden was in church when it happened.

I think the statement came soon enough. I would not want him to make a statement too soon and get the information wrong, nor would I have wanted him to wait too long. I think what he did was perfect.

Everyone jumping up and down about Biden not immediately reacting about what happened needs to look back at Bush we he was informed about 9/11. He set quietly and continued reading time with the kids.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
New York Post appears to be the only "major" source that has identified him so far. Listening to the live press conference right now and they have no mentioned the name of the shooter.

Once bitten twice shy. He could be that young kid, but I would not bet on it yet.

anotherneil

At this point there seems to be 2 different gross failures by the security team (as if 1 failure is unacceptable & isn't bad enough on its own).

One is the failure to assess the location prior to the event and to do things like set up a plan, implementation of that plan, fortification of the site, etc.

The other is the failure to receive and take in an alert by a concerned individual (Mr. Redhead who was interviewed by the BBC).

What is going on, here!?

Tomef

If the election was only a month away or less I would agree. But there are months before the election. The emotional boost will have largely faded away by then.
I don’t know, there’s a whole section of the US public that loves this kind of drama. Conspiracies putting the ‘deep state’ behind this will already be doing the rounds. A lot of vacillators will now see Trump as their ‘hero’ just because some idiot shot at him, and he’ll milk that for all it’s worth, ’they’ tried to silence him etc. Those kinds of stories have a long shelf life.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don’t know, there’s a whole section of the US public that loves this kind of drama. Conspiracies putting the ‘deep state’ behind this will already be doing the rounds. A lot of vacillators will now see Trump as their ‘hero’ just because some idiot shot at him, and he’ll milk that for all it’s worth, ’they’ tried to silence him etc. Those kinds of stories have a long shelf life.
Those people are already mostly Trump voters.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
At this point there seems to be 2 different gross failures by the security team (as if 1 failure is unacceptable & isn't bad enough on its own).

One is the failure to assess the location prior to the event and to do things like set up a plan, implementation of that plan, fortification of the site, etc.

The other is the failure to receive and take in an alert by a concerned individual (Mr. Redhead who was interviewed by the BBC).

What is going on, here!?
IMO, it is a total security failure.
Every rooftop, window, fire escape, ledge, balcony, water tower, church steeple, etc. in a 1000 meter (at minimum) radius should have been scouted, covered and cleared.

Of course, I can not help but wonder if there was a lack of willingness to pay for adequate security....

anotherneil

What is going on, here!?

Another thing about this is not only these 2 problems, but the fact that in the past there have been assassination attempts against Trump & this alone is a reason to be extremely assertive with his protection; here are not just 1, but 2 different incidents:

June 2016: Michael Sandford attempted to grab a police officer's gun at a Trump rally in Las Vegas with the intent to shoot Trump.

November 2017: Julian Romero was arrested for making threats to kill Trump and had traveled to Washington D.C. with a weapon.

At this point, I'd say that any future assassination attempts on Trumps life are not only a criminal act by would-be assassins, but any failure on the part of those who are supposed to be protecting him to prevent it from reaching the point where it did, in this incident, is also potentially criminal itself.

anotherneil

IMO, it is a total security failure.
Every rooftop, window, fire escape, ledge, balcony, water tower, church steeple, etc. in a 1000 meter (at minimum) radius should have been scouted, covered and cleared.
Yeah, this is the type of stuff I'm referring to as the 1st failure situation.

Of course, I can not help but wonder if there was a lack of willingness to pay for adequate security....
Who would be in a position to deny the necessary resources someone in some Secret Service office or position, or someone in some other office?

anotherneil

I was listening to reports on this incident on Fox News & it seems like they're starting to use some spin doctors to try to paint some sort of picture of this assassination attempt as being the work of Gaza protesters in some way in a sort of "read between the lines" manner or sentiment where it seems like these pro-Israel propagandists are trying to utilize this opportunity to subconsciously plant this sort of idea in the back of people's minds.

I had to change the channel because I couldn't stand such crap.

Not that there absolutely couldn't possibly be a connection between Gaza protesters and this shooter, but I have heard squat about any connection between the shooter and any other groups, and the shooter's name has literally just been released within the past hour or so, and it seems like it's way to early to know what this individual is about, why he did it, who he's involved with, etc.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Who would be in a position to deny the necessary resources someone in some Secret Service office or position, or someone in some other office?
Trump.
At least that is my first guess.

I am not familiar enough with the inside working of the Secret Service to give a better answer.
Though I freely admit my 'answer' is nothing more than a guess.

The thing that gets me is that Trump is not just a Presidential nominee.
Trump is a former President of the United States that the Secret Service is supposed to protect.

Thus it is my opinion, based on "former President that the Secret Service is to lay their own lives down for", aspect, the lack of security surrounding Trump at these rallies is down right embarrassing.

Or, at least, it should be.

Instead it looks far to much like Dallas Texas on November 22, 1963...

anotherneil

Trump.
At least that is my first guess.

I am not familiar enough with the inside working of the Secret Service to give a better answer.
Though I freely admit my 'answer' is nothing more than a guess.

The thing that gets me is that Trump is not just a Presidential nominee.
Trump is a former President of the United States that the Secret Service is supposed to protect.

Thus it is my opinion, based on "former President that the Secret Service is to lay their own lives down for", aspect, the lack of security surrounding Trump at these rallies is down right embarrassing.

Or, at least, it should be.
Ah, I see; to me it seems initially & summarily implausible for a POTUS candidate to be responsible for footing the bill or part of the bill for their own security, because otherwise such a policy would practically exclude anyone who's not wealthy from running for POTUS.

It's one thing to collect campaign contributions to fund advertisements, lawn signs, etc., but protecting a candidate is an entirely different matter.

Instead it looks far to much like Dallas Texas on November 22, 1963...
It has crossed my mind as well & probably the minds of many other.

This does bring something up that goes to your point, though (not sure if it's what you had in mind), but part of the problem with JFK's assassination, from what I understand, is that he was overruling certain security measures, such as riding in a convertible with the top down or taking a certain route.

From the way I assess Trump, I have my doubts about him being the same, but who knows - maybe there is a problem with Trump doing things against the advice of his security protection.

At least in this incident, I'm not sure what Trump could've done that went against advice from his security protection team - refusing to have glass barriers that would've protected him from something like that perhaps?

anotherneil

From what I'm hearing from news reports, there are a total of 5 casualties: 2 people dead and 3 people were injured.

The shooter is dead.
Trump was injured.
One individual attending the rally was killed.
Two individuals are critically injured.

I don't know severity of the two critically injured individuals, but obviously if either one does die, than that increases the number of victims who were killed by the shooter.

The shooter was likely only trying to strike Trump, but with the other victims involved, I think this might be considered a mass shooting.

anotherneil

According to CNN, the shooter was a registered Republican who made some donations to Democrat-aligned groups; if that's the case then that would make him like a deranged Never Trumper Republican.

We Never Know

No Slack
From what I'm hearing from news reports, there are a total of 5 casualties: 2 people dead and 3 people were injured.

The shooter is dead.
Trump was injured.
One individual attending the rally was killed.
Two individuals are critically injured.

I don't know severity of the two critically injured individuals, but obviously if either one does die, than that increases the number of victims who were killed by the shooter.

The shooter was likely only trying to strike Trump, but with the other victims involved, I think this might be considered a mass shooting.

It probably is all ready labeled a mass shooting..

"Mass shooting, as defined by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), an event in which one or more individuals are “actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area."

The media was quick to say it was an AR15 style weapon but other reports are saying it was a long rifle.