• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

McBell

Admiral Obvious
IMO many of those who misuse the word aren't real familure with guns.
Nor, it appears, do they want to be.
They prefer to whine about how nothing is getting done about the mass killings yet also refuse to learn anything about the firearms they boldly claim are the problem.

Which in turn is part of the problem.
Definitely.

To them if it looks scary then its an assault weapon/assault rifle.
Here is a pic of a lighter:
lighter.JPG

Here is a pic of an assault lighter:
assault lighter.JPG

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry if you felt picked on and demonized for being a gun rights activist.
I'll get over it....with counseling.
My point was only that it is silly arguing over whether to call the AR-15 style weapon an assault rifle.
To avoid the argument, don't
use incorrect terminology.
That has nothing at all to do with the thread topic or even the a gun control debate, which you appear to want to have here.
To prevent histrionic language
serves cromulent discourse.
If you want to get down into the weeds over muzzle velocities, types of ammunition, types of rifles, etc., fine.
I promise not to discuss minor
technical details with you.
Nobody is going to stop you or learn anything useful regarding the topic.
What a relief!

We Never Know

No Slack
Watching an interview with the director of the secret service Kimberly Cheatle.

Talking about the building the shooter was on...

She says...

"There were not any snipers on the roof that was used by the shooter because it was sloped"

"That building in particular has a sloped roof, at its highest point. And so, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside,"

But....

Both buildings behind Trump that the SS sharp shooters were on had sloped roofs. There were two on each roof.
That clearly contradicts what she says.

IMG_20240716_180052.jpg

IMG_20240716_175802.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Wild that the Secret Service supposedly increased their security measures due to this separate threat, yet the attempt was still able to happen.
From what I've read so far, Secret Service failed
in their responsibility because they left tasks to
local cops, but didn't verify the job was done.

We Never Know

No Slack

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What does the barrel diameter have to do with what diameter round will fit inside the bore?
Gauge is the number of balls that can be cast from 1lb of lead that will fit inside the bore of the barrel. Very different from the actual bore diameter expressed in units of measurement like inches or millimeters.
You seem to be conflating the outside barrel diameter with the barrel diameter. Hardly anyone cares about the exterior barrel diameter. So by context when one is talking about the barrel diameter one is talking about the bore or gauge. And yes, I know what a gauge is. I have also seen that term applied in the same way to a "bore". A four bore is a four gauge.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Watching an interview with the director of the secret service Kimberly Cheatle.

Talking about the building the shooter was on...

She says...

"There were not any snipers on the roof that was used by the shooter because it was sloped"

"That building in particular has a sloped roof, at its highest point. And so, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside,"

But....

Both buildings behind Trump that the SS sharp shooters were on had sloped roofs. There were two on each roof.
That clearly contradicts what she says.

View attachment 94265

View attachment 94266

Those slopes look pretty shallow. I would assume the roof the shooter was on had a steeper slope.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Wild that the Secret Service supposedly increased their security measures due to this separate threat, yet the attempt was still able to happen.
This suggests that the claim about an Iranian plot
was dishonest. Were it true, heightened security
would rule the day.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

"An" attempt was made that has been regarded as "unconnected" to the Iranian plot, which makes this even more bizarre.

WTF?

TF if I know, but if a "20 year old kid" can climb up a shed with an AR strapped to his back while people are alerting authorities and taking pictures of him on the roof, etc. then there was a massive failure to adequately protect the former president. Increased security and a variation in protocol is what I'm hearing happened and I'm like WTF?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You seem to be conflating the outside barrel diameter with the barrel diameter. Hardly anyone cares about the exterior barrel diameter. So by context when one is talking about the barrel diameter one is talking about the bore or gauge. And yes, I know what a gauge is. I have also seen that term applied in the same way to a "bore". A four bore is a four gauge.
Not in my experience. When people talk about barrel diameter that's what they mean -- diameter, ie: width. I've never heard anyone call a bore a diameter.

Gauge does seem more flexible. People call a .410 bore [caliber] shotgun a 410 gauge all the time.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
To avoid the argument, don't use incorrect terminology.

Another way to avoid the argument is not to scold people when they use a term correctly, but only in normal everyday language.
(also known as: quibbling, nit-picking, smokescreen, splitting-hairs, trivial objections)
Using the technical tools of logic in an unhelpful and pedantic manner by focusing on trivial details instead of directly addressing the main issue in dispute. Irrelevant over precision.
Logical Form:
A claim is made.
An objection is made regarding a trivial part of the claim, distracting from the main point.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not in my experience. When people talk about barrel diameter that's what they mean -- diameter, ie: width. I've never heard anyone call a bore a diameter.

Gauge does seem more flexible. People call a .410 bore [caliber] shotgun a 410 gauge all the time.
It is quite the opposite for me. The only ones that I can think of that would be concerned with the outside diameter of a gun barrel would be a gunsmith.

And anyone that calls a .410 a four ten gauge, and yes I have heard it too, is totally clueless.

EDIT: Interesting, "bore" is the British equivalent of "gauge":

Last edited: