• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
And it has a bear high on cocaine.
(Unlike that straight-laced @Wu Wei, who's always sober & un-entertaining.)
Mention my name again in a political thread and
taken-i-will-find-you.gif

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Truth is like scalpel without anesthesia.
It hurts excruciatingly, but it heals.

Oriana Fallaci
People who espouse they have the truth the loudest and most insistent they have are usually the most confused among us and wallowing the most in their willfull stupidity and ignorance.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How many rounds constitutes "high capacity"?
I ask simply because there are a number of single shot sniper rifles that are single shot manual reload.
Are these not "assault rifles"?

The above also addresses the "removable magazine" requirement many people claim is required to make a rifle an "assault rifle".

I have heard some people claim that rate of fire is also some sort of requirement.

Seems most people have simply decided to ignore the "selector switch" requirement.

I much prefer my 13 round tube fed 22 over the 25 round magazine fed 22.
Easier to maneuver, carry and fire.

the problem with letting the media set the standard is that the media is all about getting viewers.
truth, facts, etc. are not nearly as important as the number of viewers.
One thing to remember about words and terms is that definitions arise from usage. The US military definition applied gun of intermediate calibers that were capable of going fully automatic or burst firing with a switch. They also had detachable magazines that could be rapidly switched. Obviously the general public cannot buy a fully automatic rifle, or a burst rifle for that matter. But they could buy guns that were semiautomatic versions of arm assault rifles. They are designed for rapid firing at close quarters. That is why they use only smaller or "intermediate calibers". Some of the calibers are in fact quite small, but with a lot more propellant behind them than a typical .22 result in wounds that are easily recognizable in ERs.

A sniper rifle on the other hand is meant for one clean shot at a distance. So a much larger caliber and even more powder is used. The idea of an assault rifle was that it could be used when engaging multiple enemy soldiers at close range.

And many years ago I used to hunt for small game. Like you I would load my rifle before I went out and then unload the remaining cartridges when I was done. The only time that I went crazy with a gun is when some cousins were visiting and we all went squirrel hunting at the same time. Bad idea. No one was hurt, not even the one poor squirrel that we probably scared the poop out of. After that I hunted by myself mostly. My dad and I once went out together and that worked out okay. But large groups of inexperienced shooters is an accident waiting to happen.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
People who espouse they have the truth the loudest and most insistent they have are usually the most confused among us and wallowing the most in their willfull stupidity and ignorance.
What I have been hearing for months is "Trump has to be stopped in one way or another".

That event in PA is the most announced attack in world history.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
And you defend sloppy histrionic language
designed to inflame fears & passions of
the ignorant.
It's like the pro-lifers who call pro-choicers
"baby killers".

Only because you appear to not value accuracy & honest discussion
about gun issues. Preferring histrionics & demonization of us gun
rights advocates.

You started with the ad hominem.
I just played along.

Lookie here, if youi're going to be sloppy,
be prepared to be called on it.

Sorry if you felt picked on and demonized for being a gun rights activist. My point was only that it is silly arguing over whether to call the AR-15 style weapon an assault rifle. That has nothing at all to do with the thread topic or even the a gun control debate, which you appear to want to have here. If you want to get down into the weeds over muzzle velocities, types of ammunition, types of rifles, etc., fine. Nobody is going to stop you or learn anything useful regarding the topic. That's just normal thread meandering. But, if you are interested in defining assault rifles, apply the duck test. Monty Python and the Holy Grail demonstrated how to apply it to witches. :)

[Bedevere:] There are ways of telling whether she is a witch! [Villagers:] Are there? What? Tell us, then! Tell us! [B:] Tell me. What do you do with witches? [Vs:] Burn! Burn! You burn them! Burn! [B:] And what do you burn apart from witches? [Vs:] More witches! Wood! [B:] So, why do witches burn? [Villager:] 'Cos they're made of wood? [B:] Good! ... So; how do we tell if she is made of wood? [V:] Build a bridge out of 'er! [B:] Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone? [Vs:] Oh yeah. [B:] Does wood sink in water? [Vs:] No, it floats! Throw her into the pond! Yaa! [B:] What also floats in water? [Vs:] Bread! Apples! Very small rocks? Cider! Gra-Gravy! Cherries! Mud! Churches? Churches! Lead! Lead! [King Arthur:] A duck! [Vs:] Ooh! [B:] Exactly. So, logically... [V:] If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood... [B:] and therefore... [V:] a witch!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What I have been hearing for months is "Trump has to be stopped in one way or another".
No, what you've been hearing is that Trump needs to lose. I'm sure there's been an occasional person here or there who said something more forceful, but that's not mainstream.
That event in PA is the most announced attack in world history.
No, it's not. No one on the left (as in no politician or well-regarded pundit) has called for violence.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No, what you've been hearing is that Trump needs to lose. I'm sure there's been an occasional person here or there who said something more forceful, but that's not mainstream.

No, it's not. No one on the left (as in no politician or well-regarded pundit) has called for violence.
The citizens have never called for violence.
I was not speaking of commoners, of course.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Except he used the word "caliber" especially since he is American as well that is measured in hundredths of inches and is written .22 for example:

And bore and barrel diameter are the same since people are concerned with the size of round that will fit inside it. As to "bore" that is sometimes synonymous to "gauge". A "four bore" or four gauge is a really big gun.
What does the barrel diameter have to do with what diameter round will fit inside the bore?
Gauge is the number of balls that can be cast from 1lb of lead that will fit inside the bore of the barrel. Very different from the actual bore diameter expressed in units of measurement like inches or millimeters.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Though there are no hard numbers associated with it, an assault rifle usually fires very high velocity rounds. High velocity rounds do a lot more damage to a body than slower rounds like a .22lr. As me the same about a magazine fed .222 and you will get a different answer.

Since .222 rounds are much longer you won't get 16 in a tube which brings up another feature of an assault rifle. It needs to be able to be easily reloadable. I have reloaded .22 tubes and it is not quick. But then when I went hunting I was not blasting away like crazy. There was usually no need to reload.
There's also the bullets themselves to consider. As I understand it, under international rules of war, exploding or fragmenting rounds are illegal. Military rounds are fully jacketed. Not so the civilian rounds produced for the commercial version of the M-16. AR rounds can be anything the manufacturer wants to manufacture and sell, and fragmenting rounds are popular.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But addressed to theists.

That's for damn sure. I guess the Vatican hides some of them.

You can say that. First Amendment.

I don't see any offensiveness in the word godless. God - less. Without God.
It depends on implication and usage. We used to berate the soviets as "godless commies." We even added "In God We trust" to our money and "under God" to the pledge of allegiance, just to thumb our noses at them.
In the chauvinist slogan "godless commie," godless was meant as an insult."