• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump is losing the debate acting like a raving lunatic

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
“While Trump’s new tariff would cost households, calling it a ‘national sales tax’ is not really accurate because it’s targeted to imports only and operates somewhat different than a sales tax. Also, the liberal Center for American Progress estimates the per-household cost at $1,500, not $4,000,” Riedl explained, citing a March 2024 piece published by CAP on Trump’s proposed tariffs.

“Trump’s tariff proposal is very destructive and costly for families, but Harris is misrepresenting the details,” he said.
And it is still in effect a national sales tax. You complained about there not being a national sales tax, not the amount. And yes, it is a national sales tax because there are endless products that can only be imported today. And there are other products where if they are made in the US they are far more expensive than imports. So again, he would be forcing Americans to pay more either way.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You don't understand.
An investment made in one year,
& sold in a later year will see an
increase in dollar value due simply
to the lower value of the dollar.
A salary is paid typically within
the month earned....not years later.
And a worker who gets a raise due to inflation over the past year suffers by having to pay based on the new income rate which just makes up for inflation.

I refuse to screw workers to benefit investors. If investors hate it so much, let them lobby the government to balance the budget. Just think of a mob of raging stock holders outside of Congress with signs say "stop screwing us".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It was started because since 2014 the NATO (so all of us) have been supporting the Kiev regime against the separatists in Donbas.
Separatists armed and supported by Russia who also seized chunks of at least two other nations.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Like I said, I am most motivated by cost. So if the cost is higher on the flatscreen made in China, I probably won't buy it anyway. Meanwhile, no, Trump did not say he was for a national sales tax or whatever.

Actually I just bought a new flatscreen so it's doubtful I will be in the market for one anytime soon. It wasn't made in China for the record.
I'd bet you'd have to stop buying clothing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
And it is still in effect a national sales tax. You complained about there not being a national sales tax, not the amount. And yes, it is a national sales tax because there are endless products that can only be imported today. And there are other products where if they are made in the US they are far more expensive than imports. So again, he would be forcing Americans to pay more either way.
The crappy thing is if we lived in a more just and fair society we would be paying more because the artificial cheapness of exploitation and backroom deals and subsidies that only benefit the rich would end. But we'd also be getting paid more than we do, rather than watching shiploads if cash get put out of bounds and perpetually reducing what is actively "in play" in the economy.

Clizby Wampuscat

And it is still in effect a national sales tax.
"In effect" means no it is not.
You complained about there not being a national sales tax, not the amount. And yes, it is a national sales tax because there are endless products that can only be imported today. And there are other products where if they are made in the US they are far more expensive than imports. So again, he would be forcing Americans to pay more either way.
Maybe, but that is not a national sales tax. A national sales tax is a tax on all products bought. Tariffs are not that. She should have said tariffs lead to higher prices on some goods. She didn't on purpose.

Why does Harris/Biden keep most of Trump's tariffs if she is against them?

Clizby Wampuscat

I never said it would or would not increase some costs of goods. I said it is not a national sales tax. Harris did not say Trump's tariffs (which most are still in place) will increase prices she said Trump would institute a national sales tax which is false. Why are these tariffs still in place under Biden/Harris's administration? They are hurting families you know.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Separatists armed and supported by Russia who also seized chunks of at least two other nations.
We also had separatists in South Tyrol.
We didn't kill them as Kiev did with Donbas separatists.

So ...please...spare me the rhetoric, dear sir. ;)

Pogo

I never said it would or would not increase some costs of goods. I said it is not a national sales tax. Harris did not say Trump's tariffs (which most are still in place) will increase prices she said Trump would institute a national sales tax which is false. Why are these tariffs still in place under Biden/Harris's administration? They are hurting families you know.
Read it again, she did not say it was a tax but effectively one in that his tariff increases would affect everybody to tune of several thousand dollars a year, and your fact checks and the analyses bear this out. Equivocation over something she didn't even say is ridiculous. Do you want to pay thousands more for what you will buy because of Trump or do you think that might not be good for the average American?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And I corrected myself. She is for mandatory gun buyback programs.
Not "gun" because she's a gun owner. Fact-checking Trump about Harris and ‘gun confiscation’ has a good discussion.

"We have to have a buyback program, and I support a mandatory gun buyback program," Harris said. "It’s got to be smart, we got to do it the right way. But there are 5 million (assault weapons) at least, some estimate as many as 10 million, and we’re going to have to have smart public policy that’s about taking those off the streets, but doing it the right way."​
...​
NBC News’ Harry Smith asked Harris, "So, say you’ve got a couple hundred thousand off the streets, I mean, isn’t that just a drop in the bucket?​
Harris said: "Well, what we’ll do is have an incentive for people to turn them in and buy them back. But when we`re talking about weapons of war, I mean, it literally is this simple. Five million assault weapons on the streets of America, period."​
...​
"I have to stress, lawful gun ownership, that is one thing," Harris said. "We’re talking about something else and we have to stop conflating and blending all these issues."
In April 2019, Harris told reporters in Iowa, "We are being offered a false choice. You’re either in favor of the Second Amendment or you want to take everyone’s guns away. It’s a false choice that is born out of a lack of courage from leaders who must recognize and agree that there are some practical solutions to what is a clear problem in our country."​
We asked the Harris campaign whether she still supports mandatory assault weapons buybacks. She does not. A campaign spokesperson pointed to a comment the campaign gave to The New York Times that, like President Joe Biden, Harris wants to ban assault weapons but not require people to sell them to the federal government.

Trump's claim?

meter-mostly-false.jpg

Pogo

I'd bet you'd have to stop buying clothing.
She could continue to buy French designer labels, they appear to have a strong lobby that avoided implementation of a 25% tariff already a few years ago and Melania might be on her side for the exception as well.