• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump is losing the debate acting like a raving lunatic

Clizby Wampuscat

It would be helpful, but I'm not aware of a proper time and place for that thus far. Her rallies are an introduction and party pep rally. The debate was limited and constrained. I'd Iike to see her on Meet the Press maybe, but then she may have been on a Sunday I didn't tune in. This where town-halls are good platforms, but her campaign being so short while she still has obligations in her current job, it doesn't surprise me that such opportunities aren't happening.
She was asked in the debate.

LINSEY DAVIS: Vice President Harris, in your last run for president you said you wanted to ban fracking. Now you don't. You wanted mandatory government buyback programs for assault weapons. Now your campaign says you don't. You supported decriminalizing border crossings. Now you're taking a harder line. I know you say that your values have not changed. So then why have so many of your policy positions changed?

VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS: So my values have not changed. And I'm going to discuss every one -- at least every point that you've made. But in particular, let's talk about fracking because we're here in Pennsylvania. I made that very clear in 2020. I will not ban fracking. I have not banned fracking as Vice President of the United States. And, in fact, I was the tie-breaking vote on the Inflation Reduction Act, which opened new leases for fracking. My position is that we have got to invest in diverse sources of energy so we reduce our reliance on foreign oil. We have had the largest increase in domestic oil production in history because of an approach that recognizes that we cannot over rely on foreign oil. As it relates to my values, let me tell you, I grew up a middle-class kid raised by a hard-working mother who worked and saved and was able to buy our first home when I was a teenager. The values I bring to the importance of home ownership knowing not everybody got handed $400 million on a silver platter and then filed bankruptcy six times, is a value that I bring to my work to say we are going to work with the private sector and home builders to increase 3 million homes, increase by 3 million homes by the end of my first term. My work that is related to having a friend when I was in high school who was sexually assaulted by her stepfather. And my focus then, on protecting women and children from violent crime, is based on a value that is deeply grounded in the importance of standing up for those who are most vulnerable. My work that is about protecting social security and Medicare is based on long-standing work that I have done. Protecting seniors from scams. My values have not changed. And what is important is that there is a president who actually brings values and a perspective that is about lifting people up and not beating people down and name-calling. The true measure of the leader is the leader who actually understands that strength is not in beating people down, it's in lifting people up. I intend to be that president.

So she sort of talked about fracking then did not discuss every one as she said. She had the chance.

What obligations of her job is she doing everyday? It is an important question and the fact that no one knows the answer after 55 days of her campaign say a lot.

Clizby Wampuscat

It would be helpful, but I'm not aware of a proper time and place for that thus far. Her rallies are an introduction and party pep rally. The debate was limited and constrained. I'd Iike to see her on Meet the Press maybe, but then she may have been on a Sunday I didn't tune in. This where town-halls are good platforms, but her campaign being so short while she still has obligations in her current job, it doesn't surprise me that such opportunities aren't happening.

LINSEY DAVIS: Vice President Harris, in your last run for president you said you wanted to ban fracking. Now you don't. You wanted mandatory government buyback programs for assault weapons. Now your campaign says you don't. You supported decriminalizing border crossings. Now you're taking a harder line. I know you say that your values have not changed. So then why have so many of your policy positions changed?

VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS: So my values have not changed. And I'm going to discuss every one -- at least every point that you've made. But in particular, let's talk about fracking because we're here in Pennsylvania. I made that very clear in 2020. I will not ban fracking. I have not banned fracking as Vice President of the United States. And, in fact, I was the tie-breaking vote on the Inflation Reduction Act, which opened new leases for fracking. My position is that we have got to invest in diverse sources of energy so we reduce our reliance on foreign oil. We have had the largest increase in domestic oil production in history because of an approach that recognizes that we cannot over rely on foreign oil. As it relates to my values, let me tell you, I grew up a middle-class kid raised by a hard-working mother who worked and saved and was able to buy our first home when I was a teenager. The values I bring to the importance of home ownership knowing not everybody got handed $400 million on a silver platter and then filed bankruptcy six times, is a value that I bring to my work to say we are going to work with the private sector and home builders to increase 3 million homes, increase by 3 million homes by the end of my first term. My work that is related to having a friend when I was in high school who was sexually assaulted by her stepfather. And my focus then, on protecting women and children from violent crime, is based on a value that is deeply grounded in the importance of standing up for those who are most vulnerable. My work that is about protecting social security and Medicare is based on long-standing work that I have done. Protecting seniors from scams. My values have not changed. And what is important is that there is a president who actually brings values and a perspective that is about lifting people up and not beating people down and name-calling. The true measure of the leader is the leader who actually understands that strength is not in beating people down, it's in lifting people up. I intend to be that president.

So she sort of talked about fracking then did not discuss every one as she said. She had the chance.

What obligations of her job is she doing everyday? It is an important question and the fact that no one knows the answer after 55 days of her campaign say a lot.

Clizby Wampuscat

Notice your link refers to tariffs as a tax.
Yes, not a national sales tax.
And this is sound management for the economy. The USA used to be a massive producer of steel and by adding tariffs to imports it will help bolster our production. Tariffs always add more costs, but the economic advantages offset that cost. Plus the revenue goes to the government which can be invested into the infrastructure or social programs.
So you agree Trump managed the economy soundly as president with these tariffs.
Compare these Biden policies to what Trump suggests. Trump’s tariffs are predicted to cost $1500 to $4000 to households. Biden’s in 2023 was $303. It’s just one more strike against the criminal candidate.
Ok, but this whole conversation was about what a tariff is and it is not a national sales tax. We will see what his tariffs actually do when he is elected.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

Yep, I noticed she took this question as a generality of her values not changing when her policy positions have. It was a missed opportunity, IMO, but not knowing what actually made her change her position, I'll (this time) give her the benefit of the doubt that she did not see it as the appropriate time. We must remember that a debate situation is akin to a courtroom in that you don't introduce a new topic you're not prepared to disect off the cuff.

F1fan

Veteran Member
So is there some states where the tariff doesn’t apply? Or is it the whole country?

So you agree Trump managed the economy soundly as president with these tariffs.
His first term actually had some competent people. They did some good things. But all that will change with a second term that looks to be filled with loyalists. Trump is not the guy he was in 2017. He’s lost more steps than Biden has in the same time.

Ok, but this whole conversation was about what a tariff is and it is not a national sales tax. We will see what his tariffs actually do when he is elected.
Your link refers to tariffs as a tax which rebuts the non-expert claim that it isn’t. In Europe tariffs are called Value Added Tax. So I take it you no longer consider Harris’ statement a lie?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

I realize this is a double post, but I'll use this second one to address your last paragraph.

I don't know the day to day obligations of the VP of the USA any more than she would know mine. However, I do know hers are much more important and not at her personal discretion as mine are.

It was very nice that at the 911 memorial, she, again, made the extended effort to include Trump respectfully. That's twice in 2 days she has shown herself to be the better "gentleman." LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist. Okay, the better mannered.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Notice your link refers to tariffs as a tax.

Only in the sense that a sales tax is normally added on at the point of sale. Tariffs are a national tax on goods entering the country, but they act more like the European version of a sales tax--the VAT (Value Added Tax). Calling it a "national sales tax" is a good way of pointing out how tariffs represent government taxes that drive up the price that consumers pay at the point of sale. You are really making a distinction without a difference.

Copernicus

Incredibly, Donald Trump and JD Vance are still going after the Haitian immigrant community in Springfield, Ohio, even after the violence and bomb threats from MAGA zealots. Trump is still stung over being fact-checked for his baseless lie about pet-eating immigrants.

Trump and Vance are still stoking fears of Haitian migrants, as Ohio community faces bomb threats

Donald Trump and his running mate on Friday continued to disparage Haitian migrants in an Ohio community, further fueling false claims the Republicans have promoted even as the city saw bomb threats and school evacuations and local officials called for a cooling of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.​
“We will do large deportations from Springfield, Ohio,” Trump said Friday during a news conference in California, adding that he could possibly hold a campaign event or town hall in the city and claiming the migrants are “destroying the way of life.”​
Ohio authorities have said there are no credible or detailed reports to support the debunked allegations circulated this week by both Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance, that Haitian immigrants are eating domestic pets and birds in the city’s public parks. Trump mentioned the claims during a debate Tuesday with his Democratic rival, Vice President Kamala Harris, prompting her to laugh and call the GOP presidential nominee “extreme.”​
After city agencies were targeted in a bomb threat, Springfield Mayor Rob Rue on Thursday called on politicians to tamp down the rhetoric...​
See the article for further details.

This vilification of immigrants is nothing short of deliberate race-baiting hate speech. I haven't seen this kind of blatant hatred from the mouths of prominent politicians since the anti-integration rhetoric of the 1960s. They are not talking about undocumented illegal immigrants, but people who are generally here legally as natural citizens, naturalized citizens, or on a path towards citizenship. They are hard-working, law-abiding people, unlike Donald Trump himself. They are now facing threats of violence and intimidation.

Copernicus

The woman whose post led to the vicious Trump-Vance attacks is now regretting the firestorm it set off.

'It just exploded': Springfield woman claims she never meant to spark false rumors about Haitians

“It just exploded into something I didn’t mean to happen,” Erika Lee, a Springfield resident, told NBC News on Friday.​
Lee recently posted on Facebook about a neighbor’s cat that went missing, adding that the neighbor told Lee she thought the cat was the victim of an attack by her Haitian neighbors.​
Newsguard, a media watchdog that monitors for misinformation online, found that Lee had been among the first people to publish a post to social media about the rumor, screenshots of which circulated online. The neighbor, Kimberly Newton, said she heard about the attack from a third party, NewsGuard reported.​
Newton told Newsguard that Lee’s Facebook post misstated her story, and that the owner of the missing cat was “an acquaintance of a friend” rather than her daughter’s friend. Newton could not be reached for comment.​
Lee said she had no idea the post would become part of a rumor mill that would spiral into the national consciousness. She has since deleted the Facebook post.​
Other posts have also contributed to the false allegations, including a photo of a man holding a dead goose that was taken in Columbus, Ohio, but was spread by some online as evidence of the claims about Springfield. Graphic video of a woman who allegedly killed and tried to eat a cat was also found not to have originated in Springfield but in Canton, Ohio, and does not have any connection to the Haitian community.​

Note that the "dead goose" image was post #4 in this thread under the comment:

"It's worse than that. Haitians are into all sorts of voodoo ****."

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't agree with Trump on several issues.
But on human level...I just see that there is a transparent, frank man who says things as they are.

Since when is "transparent" continually lying, breaking the law over and over again, and trying to overthrow an election? And while I'm at it, why do you love fascists so much?

And in the Democratic Party I see nothing but phoniness. I detest phoniness.
It's obvious that they are thinking of the exact opposite of what they are saying, while they are talking.

What's "phony" is the above nonsense. Both major parties have some dishonesty in what they say, but Trump & the MAGAs seem hell-bent on having a monopoly on them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

On this at least I agree with you as she has not explained why she changed positions.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
The woman whose post led to the vicious Trump-Vance attacks is now regretting the firestorm it set off.

'It just exploded': Springfield woman claims she never meant to spark false rumors about Haitians

“It just exploded into something I didn’t mean to happen,” Erika Lee, a Springfield resident, told NBC News on Friday.​
Lee recently posted on Facebook about a neighbor’s cat that went missing, adding that the neighbor told Lee she thought the cat was the victim of an attack by her Haitian neighbors.​
Newsguard, a media watchdog that monitors for misinformation online, found that Lee had been among the first people to publish a post to social media about the rumor, screenshots of which circulated online. The neighbor, Kimberly Newton, said she heard about the attack from a third party, NewsGuard reported.​
Newton told Newsguard that Lee’s Facebook post misstated her story, and that the owner of the missing cat was “an acquaintance of a friend” rather than her daughter’s friend. Newton could not be reached for comment.​
Lee said she had no idea the post would become part of a rumor mill that would spiral into the national consciousness. She has since deleted the Facebook post.​
Other posts have also contributed to the false allegations, including a photo of a man holding a dead goose that was taken in Columbus, Ohio, but was spread by some online as evidence of the claims about Springfield. Graphic video of a woman who allegedly killed and tried to eat a cat was also found not to have originated in Springfield but in Canton, Ohio, and does not have any connection to the Haitian community.​

Note that the "dead goose" image was post #4 in this thread under the comment:

"It's worse than that. Haitians are into all sorts of voodoo ****."

Add this to the long list of Facebook rumors that "just exploded" into real-world consequences for innocent people.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Since when is "transparent" continually lying, breaking the law over and over again, and trying to overthrow an election? And while I'm at it, why do you love fascists so much?
Even dems admit Trump is too crass and outspoken...that's exactly what I mean, but I see that as a virtue.

Last edited:

wellwisher

Add this to the long list of Facebook rumors that "just exploded" into real-world consequences for innocent people.
She regrets the DNC circling the wagon and using law fare on witnesses. She hoped we could discuss this but once Harris and Biden sneaked the Haitian into the Country and forced them on a community without asking, they have to attack the messenger. We should ask Harris why they chose Springfield and why did Haitians get to skip the border and fly directly to the US? Why not use a DNC sanctuary city?

Since 2021, the number of Venezuelan and Haitian illegal aliens who have entered the U.S. has risen sharply. Under the Biden-Harris administration’s policies, hundreds of thousands of them are crossing the southern land border, while others are being flown into the country through the CHNV parole scheme.

CHNV PAROLE SCHEME

The Biden-Harris Administration’s CHNV parole scheme, announced in January 2023, allows nationals from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela, who would otherwise be inadmissible, to fly into the U.S. and stay indefinitely. Living in American communities, these illegal aliens can also obtain work permits, Medicaid, food stamps, and welfare payments.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Incredibly, Donald Trump and JD Vance are still going after the Haitian immigrant community in Springfield, Ohio, even after the violence and bomb threats from MAGA zealots. Trump is still stung over being fact-checked for his baseless lie about pet-eating immigrants.

Trump and Vance are still stoking fears of Haitian migrants, as Ohio community faces bomb threats

Donald Trump and his running mate on Friday continued to disparage Haitian migrants in an Ohio community, further fueling false claims the Republicans have promoted even as the city saw bomb threats and school evacuations and local officials called for a cooling of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.​
“We will do large deportations from Springfield, Ohio,” Trump said Friday during a news conference in California, adding that he could possibly hold a campaign event or town hall in the city and claiming the migrants are “destroying the way of life.”​
Ohio authorities have said there are no credible or detailed reports to support the debunked allegations circulated this week by both Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance, that Haitian immigrants are eating domestic pets and birds in the city’s public parks. Trump mentioned the claims during a debate Tuesday with his Democratic rival, Vice President Kamala Harris, prompting her to laugh and call the GOP presidential nominee “extreme.”​
After city agencies were targeted in a bomb threat, Springfield Mayor Rob Rue on Thursday called on politicians to tamp down the rhetoric...​
See the article for further details.

This vilification of immigrants is nothing short of deliberate race-baiting hate speech. I haven't seen this kind of blatant hatred from the mouths of prominent politicians since the anti-integration rhetoric of the 1960s. They are not talking about undocumented illegal immigrants, but people who are generally here legally as natural citizens, naturalized citizens, or on a path towards citizenship. They are hard-working, law-abiding people, unlike Donald Trump himself. They are now facing threats of violence and intimidation.