• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump is safe following shooting at Florida golf course; suspect detained

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've explained it twice now how you're clearly spreading falsehoods.

If you're not, please provide facts that support your claim that "Haitians are known to eat cats" and that the story a woman put on Facebook of a friend telling her that a friend of her friend's daughter saw a thing is reliable.
Those are the BEST sources. At least they are in the MAGA world.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not think we can draw any lessons from the past politics of the shooters.
Or about how many more there might be queuing up for their turn.
But I think all four candidates should be very cautious from now on.
You can not be lucky all the time, and there are lots of places shooters can hide.

The atmosphere of this election makes safety both a priority and impossible to guarantee.
If professionals get involved it could get far far worse. And all that takes is money...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I had not heard of them eating cats before these recent allegations started cropping up. But I do recall similar allegations and rumors about Vietnamese when they started moving into California, about them catching and eating their neighbors' dogs. People would even joke about things like that, although many viewed it as just a typical racial/ethnic stereotype. There was a time when people said that black people liked watermelon. One could say "Black people are known to eat watermelon" and be factually correct, but not all black people like watermelon.

The issue, as I see it, is not whether or not there might be one or a few Haitians who might have eaten cats. It's quite possible that there are some cases which could be found if one looks hard enough. But that's really beside the point. The issue is, why would Trump bring it up to begin with? He's tarring an entire group of people over what may be a few isolated incidents. It's like he's trying to say "If you don't vote for me, then this country will be overrun by people who want to eat our cats."

It's the old political strategy based on the understanding that people don't vote out of love, they vote out of fear.

But it seems more people fear Trump than the possibility of a Haitian immigrant eating their cats.
Hey, all I know is that my two cats are indoor cats only. And they seem fine with that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Everyone has the responsibility to protect
oneself, even those protected by others.
While not legally required of one, self defense
includes eschewing unsafe behavior, eg, driving
around Detroit with a bumper sticker saying
I BRAKE FOR DARKIES

Trump is shirking this responsibility by
making inflammatory remarks likely to
inspire many to want him harmed/killed.
I was thinking more along these lines. Warning, one very bad word:

Ebionite

This hatred for Trump is irrational.
And it could not be more evident then when people begin to fantasize that shooters are deliberately missing Trump in order to make him look better.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are you serious? Do you not realize that the Babylon Bee is a satire site, not a news site?

Pogo

What I believe isn't important. What matters is how people arrive at a belief for that.
And do you agree that there may be problems with people who come to believe outrageous things on the flimsiest of evidence and then refuse to change their minds when presented with copious contrary evidence?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Come now, I'm interested in your thoughts, that's why we post here to share our thoughts. Tell me what you believe in this matter, don't let people conclude you're just repeatedly dodging a question.
Interesting - that's not why I post in here. I post in here mainly to let others know they are not alone. And I am not a scholar, just a regular ol' person basically.

Ebionite

Come now, I'm interested in your thoughts, that's why we post here to share our thoughts. Tell me what you believe in this matter, don't let people conclude you're just repeatedly dodging a question.
My thoughts are that the argument that the hearsay about Haitian people eating cats in Springfield, Ohio was debunked because it wasn't evidence reflects the weaponization of the U.S. Department of Justice against Trump. The rules of evidence belong to the judiciary, but facts (including those relating to hearsay) belong to the people.

As far as I know, at no point was the honesty of those involved in the hearsay account called into question.