• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump makes conflicting comments, both of them ominous and disturbing

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
But not on the mother's body specifically.

So? The qualification is “dependent"

That's irrelevant semantics.

On your part.

Except that none of us knows when that happens. And none of us knows why humans exist. Or where our "being" comes from or goes to, if anywhere, when the body it comes to inhabit no longer sustains it. And because we don't know any of these things, we do not get to presume them upon others.

So when in doubt… kill it? I am pro-life and not pro-death. They have established a different heart-beat from the mom at 5 - 6 weeks.

But because the mother's body is the sustaining vessel during gestation, the responsibility for deciding these things falls to her. This is how it has been deemed by the order of human procreation. If you believe in a creator God, you should respect the procreative order that He has set for us. And therefor the mother's liability during gestation.

I disagree with your opinion.

Kenny

Premium Member
For your information:
Development of the human body - Wikipedia

Calling a fetus a baby is a tactic of emotional manipulation frequently used by "pro-lifers". I don't like to be manipulated
I find it the other way around. Calling it a “fetus” is a tactic to dehumanize the baby that is in the womb and I don’t like to be manipulated.

fetus (n.)​

late 14c., "the young while in the womb or egg" (tending to mean vaguely the embryo in the later stage of development), from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root *dhe(i)- "to suck."

If you look at the entomology, you will see that the modern version of today is simply a twisted view from its original intent for it included even the hatching of the young who exercise the capacity “to suck”. It was also used for the “later stage of development” which today we understand that it is a baby but simply in the womb still.

It was equally understood as ’the newborn creature itself”.

In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus), but this was not the usual meaning. It also was used of plants, in the sense of "fruit, produce, shoot," and figuratively as "growth, production." The spelling foetus is sometimes attempted as a learned Latinism, but it is unetymological (see oe).

also from late 14c.

It’s a baby…. but why don’t you want it to be a baby?

Kenny

Premium Member
Not all for. Your words before these say the opposite. @SkepticThinker pointed out the gratuitous suffering that you are willing to let occur.

Either you didn’t finish reading further down the line or you simply don’t want to believe what I wrote.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Oh, for goodness sake .. why does it have to be a federal issue?
Why not leave it up to individual states to decide for themselves?

Of course, we all know the answer to that .. 'populist' candidates, who change color
as they please for political reasons.

"Well they all lie, don't they" is not acceptable. It's sinister what goes on in "the greatest nation on earth".

Pogo

Of course, we all know the answer to that .. 'populist' candidates, who change color

"Well they all lie, don't they" is not acceptable. It's sinister what goes on in "the greatest nation on earth".
Why leave it to the states or the federal gov't? It and decisions about it belong to the person whose body it is a part of.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I find it the other way around. Calling it a “fetus” is a tactic to dehumanize the baby that is in the womb and I don’t like to be manipulated.

fetus (n.)​

late 14c., "the young while in the womb or egg" (tending to mean vaguely the embryo in the later stage of development), from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root *dhe(i)- "to suck."

If you look at the entomology, you will see that the modern version of today is simply a twisted view from its original intent for it included even the hatching of the young who exercise the capacity “to suck”. It was also used for the “later stage of development” which today we understand that it is a baby but simply in the womb still.

In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus), but this was not the usual meaning. It also was used of plants, in the sense of "fruit, produce, shoot," and figuratively as "growth, production." The spelling foetus is sometimes attempted as a learned Latinism, but it is unetymological (see oe).
We aren't talking about the etymology, but the current nomenclature.
(And the etymology of "fetus" is completely irrelevant, as you want to use "baby". What's the etymology of that? (Rhetorical question, don't answer.))
also from late 14c.

Have you read that text? It's an opinion piece, and no-one cited uses "baby" for "fetus" - except the author.
I want to use the correct nomenclature, so that we all are talking about the same thing. You (or at least some Christians) don't like it when I use "sky daddy" or "zombie Jesus" - same thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Because healthcare access should absolutely NEVER be at the whims of the state of uneducated voters. It must be a federal issue to ensure equal access to healthcare in all 50 states, lest you get some states that won't allow minors to get treated without parental permission.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Why leave it to the states or the federal gov't? It and decisions about it belong to the person whose body it is a part of.
There are several reasons .. one being that it is obviously causing division.
If it is left to the individual state, it is more appropriate imo, as the demographics vary
across the nation.
There is "no size fits all" on many issues. For example, some states decriminalize cannabis,
and others don't. Whatever.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Because healthcare access should absolutely NEVER be at the whims of the state of uneducated voters. It must be a federal issue to ensure equal access to healthcare in all 50 states..
Really? You have equal access to healthcare across all regions?
I find that VERY hard to believe.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

fetus (n.)​

also from late 14c.

First of all, "entomology" is the study of insects; "etymology" is the study of the history of words. You have fallen victim to what is called an etymological fallacy--basing your usage on what you think its historical meaning was, not current usage. In modern English, a fetus refers to a developmental stage "while in the womb". Baby means "newborn or very young child". Everyone knows that. You are using the word "baby" to describe a fetus in order to evoke an emotional response. When called on that tactic, you simply accuse the other person of trying to evoke an emotional response out of you, because you insist that others adopt your abnormal usage of the word.

The above is just a sloppy Gish gallop written by an antiabortion activist who is not a scientist, but slapped together a lot of pseudoscientific material to make it sound like science could somehow prove the rhetorical tactic of using the word "baby" for a fetus or, in fact, just a fertilized egg.

The original point still stands. Calling a fetus a "baby" is a rhetorical tactic that is linguistically and logically inaccurate. You may disagree strongly with those who believe that women should make their own choices about whether to bring a pregnancy to term, but you really have no standing to make that decision for them. Laws need to have a civic purpose--to be necessary and applicable to everyone regardless of their religion or deeply held opinions.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Really? You have equal access to healthcare across all regions?
I find that VERY hard to believe.
We don't and that's very problematic, especially in rural places which are broadly under served.
As for procedures, which is what I was getting at, it is simply unethical to put people's healthcare to a vote, thus this is properly a federal issue to ensure people have equal access to the needed procedures.
But is it needed? Is it elective? That's none of our business.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

Leaving it up to the states to decide also endangers the mother's life, and sometimes the child's. Not all can travel when and where they would like. If they can't get services they desire "legally" then many will go for desperate measures. I know one who intentionally threw herself down the stairs. What else she attempted, I don't know. They'll try herbal remedies, street drugs, and back alley surgeons. This is FACT, because this is history.

This is a situation, IMO, that should be federal. Why should there be a medical discrepancy based on locale that can be turned into blackmarket businesses?

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Leaving it up to the states to decide also endangers the mother's life, and sometimes the child's. Not all can travel when and where they would like. If they can't get services they desire "legally" then many will go for desperate measures. I know one who intentionally threw herself down the stairs. What else she attempted, I don't know. They'll try herbal remedies, street drugs, and back alley surgeons. This us FACT, because this is history.

This is a situation, IMO, that should be federal. Why should there be a medical discrepancy based on locale that can be turned into blackmarket businesses?
NO! It should not be a state issue, a county, city, district or federal issue! It is, like whether or not you want to eat broccoli, an issue for the individual concerned.

Do you want the state to tell you what art you like? What sports you should watch? Or would that be a job for the feds? NO! It's up to you, because it concerns you and you alone.

Shall we try abolition again? Didn't work all that well the first time -- and came and went with 2 Constitutional amendments, the only time that has happened. Let people know the dangers of alcohol -- but in the end, let them choose what to do with that substance for themselves.

There are simply things that no government -- national, state, municipal or any other level -- has anything to say about, because they are deeply, and solely, personal.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
NO! It should not be a state issue, a county, city, district or federal issue! It is, like whether or not you want to eat broccoli, an issue for the individual concerned.

Do you want the state to tell you what art you like? What sports you should watch? Or would that be a job for the feds? NO! It's up to you, because it concerns you and you alone.

Shall we try abolition again? Didn't work all that well the first time -- and came and went with 2 Constitutional amendments, the only time that has happened. Let people know the dangers of alcohol -- but in the end, let them choose what to do with that substance for themselves.

There are simply things that no government -- national, state, municipal or any other level -- has anything to say about, because they are deeply, and solely, personal.
The government will make the decision. They have in the past, and everything moved along in relative peace until the USSC overturned that decision.

And that was prohibition that outlawed alcohol, but abolition wasn't all that successful either. It didn't stop the Jim Crow laws.

And, yes, the US government does have some say in what we eat. Quite a lot of say, actually. Part of Project 2025 proposes lifting bans on GMOs and it's required labeling for consumer awareness. And, BTW, clotted cream is illegal in the US because the milk is not pasteurized.

Government regulations are a necessity. The difficulty is in finding the correct balance for ALL the people.

Kenny

Premium Member

I’m not bringing up the issue… I’ve already said it is up to the states...

It sounds like you are upset… why?

Kenny

Premium Member
We aren't talking about the etymology, but the current nomenclature.
(And the etymology of "fetus" is completely irrelevant, as you want to use "baby". What's the etymology of that? (Rhetorical question, don't answer.))

Have you read that text? It's an opinion piece, and no-one cited uses "baby" for "fetus" - except the author.

I want to use the correct nomenclature, so that we all are talking about the same thing. You (or at least some Christians) don't like it when I use "sky daddy" or "zombie Jesus" - same thing.
Maybe your nomenclature is wrong? After all, a baby that is in the womb is still a baby. A 6 month old that is taken out of the womb isn’t experiencing a sudden “transformation” from a fetus to a baby. It was a baby in the womb and it was a baby outside the womb even if you want to call it within your definition of “fetus".

It’s logical as well as scientific.

So what is the issue you have?