• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump's mug shot

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Now you keep saying that there is not enough time to formulate a defense. What makes you say that? Defense is much easier than finding evidence and making a case.
Exactly, as they have little research to do on their own since the committees have done most of the leg work. Thus, what they most likely will be doing is looking for mismatched testimony.

Clizby Wampuscat

We have been over that. One of the reasons is Republican opposition to the process. That slows things down. And this is a very challenging case. They wanted to make sure that everything was in order before they charged him.
I agree, so the prosecution had years to put their case together and they want Trump to put up a defense in months? You said it yourself it is a very complicated case.

What have the republicans done to slow down the process. They have no part in it.

Now you keep saying that there is not enough time to formulate a defense. What makes you say that? Defense is much easier than finding evidence and making a case. The work gathering evidence has been done for Trump. Do you think that there is evidence that he did not do what is claimed? Where would that evidence come from? What would be its nature? You don't get to just claim that Trump does not have enough time. You have to justify it.

By the way, his attorneys have to justify such a claim too and they do not seem to be able to do that. I do not think that you will do any better.
I think being the frontrunner for president nomination and having three other trials within months of each other makes a good case. Our justice system is supposed to err on the side of the defendant not the government.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree, so the prosecution had years to put their case together and they want Trump to put up a defense in months? You said it yourself it is a very complicated case.

What have the republicans done to slow down the process. They have no part in it.
Yes, they have the evidence that is going to be used in the case. That is called "discovery". The idea of a last minute "Surprise witness" by the prosecution is a dramatic fallacy. They rarely can get a witness added, but there has to be a very good reason for it. 90% of the homework has been done for the defense. They do not need years.
I think being the frontrunner for president nomination and having three other trials within months of each other makes a good case. Our justice system is supposed to err on the side of the defendant not the government.
Why? Different cases different lawyers. Trump is not doing any of the work, that is his only hope. Trump is supposedly a billionaire, but he is not even paying for his defense. he has been getting the Trump Chumps to donate money for his defense.

You have not given any good reasons for the cases to be delayed.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there

Actually, they weren't moving so fast, but then Chesebro and Powell thought they'd put Fani Wilis on the back foot by asking for a speedy trial betting that she wouldn't be ready and Fani said sure! We can do that!

Whoops!! :tearsofjoy: That maneuver by his former pals left Trump with a desperate request to sever.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
25themorning-mug-fjqg-articleLarge.jpg

This is trumps actual mug shot. He looks so angry

Has a president or former president ever had a mug shot before this?
He looks laughable. Like a 300 lbs toddler sulking because mom said "No.". I guess he was hoping to intimidate, he just looks punchable (figuratively speaking).

Will their value go up once he is in prison? I don't think that he will be able to make any more.
Let's hope not - on both counts. Sad thing is that there were people willing to buy into his grift with the pathetic things from the get go. Then again, grifting and scamming seem to have plenty of willing dupes. Kari Lake sure followed in his footsteps urging folk to donate to her "fight" against her election defeat in Arizona.

Yes, they have the evidence that is going to be used in the case. That is called "discovery". The idea of a last minute "Surprise witness" by the prosecution is a dramatic fallacy. They rarely can get a witness added, but there has to be a very good reason for it. 90% of the homework has been done for the defense. They do not need years.

Why? Different cases different lawyers. Trump is not doing any of the work, that is his only hope. Trump is supposedly a billionaire, but he is not even paying for his defense. he has been getting the Trump Chumps to donate money for his defense.

Exactly, be a good American "patriot" and give me a load of bucks...

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
So you don't care about Trump's ability to mount a proper defense then. Our judicial system is supposed to protect the rights of the accused over any political reasons. It is not Trumps fault that he was indicted when he was. He should be allowed time to prepare a proper defense.

Why do you think the indictment was not issued sooner?
If he keeps running out of lawyers, he can always have one appointed for him. His defense fund is probably flush with cash, so I'm sure he shouldn't have any problem finding and affording adequate defense. The prosecution has done all of the legwork and is providing the defense with all of the charges. Preparing a proper defense doesn't take as long as it takes the prosecution to put the case together. However, if his idea of proper defense includes illicit tactics such as witness tampering, then I can see why he might want more time. (We are talking proper defense here, not improper defense.) The only other reason I can picture is that he wants more time for his defense fund to grow and accumulate more cash.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's hope not - on both counts. Sad thing is that there were people willing to buy into his grift with the pathetic things from the get go. Then again, grifting and scamming seem to have plenty of willing dupes. Kari Lake sure followed in his footsteps urging folk to donate to her "fight" against her election defeat in Arizona.
Trump had his own grift built into the system. There were different numbers of different pictures. From my understanding the pictures that one got in ones packet at the start were somewhat random. I say "somewhat" because of the rarest pictures Trump made sure that he had his share to sell later if the grift worked. Now considering that besides paying for the artwork and programming this was almost pure profit. And as usual it was a cheat start to finish.

Clizby Wampuscat

So you expect the defense to just take what the prosecution gives them and not have time to look at it all? That is not justice that is giving the government the advantage which is opposite of what our justice system is supposed to be about. 12.8 million documents of discovery were shared. There are 217 days from the indictment to the trial date. That is 47,232 documents per day the lawyers would have to review or 1968 per hour if working 24/7. Yeah, that seems like justice. The defense has a right to know what the evidence is against them and be able to counter that in the trial.

So the actual defendant does not need time to be properly informed or a participant in their defense because lawyers? I also showed above the amount of documents is huge and cannot be properly analyzed by the defense in the time before the trial. You are willingly giving the government the advantage which rarely leads to justice.

Clizby Wampuscat

Actually, they weren't moving so fast, but then Chesebro and Powell thought they'd put Fani Wilis on the back foot by asking for a speedy trial betting that she wouldn't be ready and Fani said sure! We can do that!

Whoops!! :tearsofjoy: That maneuver by his former pals left Trump with a desperate request to sever.
Does not change the fact that the timeline is not sufficient for Trump to properly come up with a defense due to the amount of evidence turned over. This judge has done whatever the prosection wants, that is not a good judge.

Clizby Wampuscat

If he keeps running out of lawyers, he can always have one appointed for him. His defense fund is probably flush with cash, so I'm sure he shouldn't have any problem finding and affording adequate defense. The prosecution has done all of the legwork and is providing the defense with all of the charges. Preparing a proper defense doesn't take as long as it takes the prosecution to put the case together. However, if his idea of proper defense includes illicit tactics such as witness tampering, then I can see why he might want more time. (We are talking proper defense here, not improper defense.) The only other reason I can picture is that he wants more time for his defense fund to grow and accumulate more cash.
You support tyranny. That is what you are saying here. You say the prosecution has done all the work for the defense. And I guess the defense just needs to sit there and say Ok thanks, I will just believe what you say here. That is nuts. He has 12.8 million docs to go through in 217 days. yeah that is fair.

anna.

Does not change the fact that the timeline is not sufficient for Trump to properly come up with a defense due to the amount of evidence turned over. This judge has done whatever the prosection wants, that is not a good judge.

Judge Chutkan to Trump attorney John Lauro: "Your just coming onto this case doesn't mean Donald Trump hasn't been sitting with these allegations for a long time. I'm not going to allow this rotating cast of lawyers to be the occasion for delay here."

Trump's shell game has caught up to him. That's not the judges' problem, any of them, although it is a problem for Trump. He did this to himself.

anna.

You support tyranny. That is what you are saying here. You say the prosecution has done all the work for the defense. And I guess the defense just needs to sit there and say Ok thanks, I will just believe what you say here. That is nuts. He has 12.8 million docs to go through in 217 days. yeah that is fair.

Maybe he shouldn't have taken the classified docs and hidden them. Maybe he shouldn't have been finagling for 11,000 more votes, or planning for fake electors and for Pence to refuse to certify and maybe he shouldn't have encouraged the Jan. 6 insurrection. Maybe he shouldn't have done a lot of things. FAFO.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So you expect the defense to just take what the prosecution gives them and not have time to look at it all? That is not justice that is giving the government the advantage which is opposite of what our justice system is supposed to be about. 12.8 million documents of discovery were shared. There are 217 days from the indictment to the trial date. That is 47,232 documents per day the lawyers would have to review or 1968 per hour if working 24/7. Yeah, that seems like justice. The defense has a right to know what the evidence is against them and be able to counter that in the trial.

They have months to look at it. That should be more than enough time. They have a client that claims he did not do it. For years your side claimed that there was no evidence. Now there is too much of it. You need to quit denying the obvious, Trump is guilty. You are not going to find some miracle evidence proving that he was out of town on the night of the murder. That is now how this sort of case works. What they have is endless evidence of his guilt.

So the actual defendant does not need time to be properly informed or a participant in their defense because lawyers? I also showed above the amount of documents is huge and cannot be properly analyzed by the defense in the time before the trial. You are willingly giving the government the advantage which rarely leads to justice.
They are properly informed. It will be in a reasonable order. They would be able to complain if it was just random facts. You are grasping at straws. More than half of America could see the obvious. But I do find that your claim that there is too much evidence against Trump to be very amusing.