• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

jimb

Premium Member
Today we have Marvel comics with science and mutations giving heroes superpowers.
Back then it was the Bible and God providing these superpowers.

Imagine a few thousand years from now folks reading a Spider-man comic as non-fiction.
Read my signature below...

jimb

Premium Member
I regard his signature as a lame excuse to justify his judgmental and obnoxious behavior. I think his posts reek with self-righteousness and are the polar opposite of "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:14–16).
Read my signature again!

jimb

Premium Member
Although the Bible is a book that is considered the inspired word of God, it was written by ordinary men from different social backgrounds. The Bible is not written in unintelligible or technical terms, but in common, easily understandable language. The fact that its writers lived in many different eras and under different cultures made it easy to adapt the language they used to the specific development of each era, so readers could understand writings prior to the eras in which they were living, while others were being inspired to write new documents for future generations.

The Bible was not fossilized in ancient languages, but in each era it had translators who made it easier to read. Today we have many versions of parts of it in thousands of modern languages.

Given these and other aspects of the history of the Bible from the writing of each of its parts to modern translations, we not only have easy access to it, but we can also understand it as we read it and understand the related history with each part written in each different era. If we have good study methods we can understand it easily.

Although there are some doctrinal topics that are difficult to understand, there are many basic ones that are easy to understand. So starting from the easiest matters, it is possible to reach an understanding of its deeper teachings. We don't need theological studies to understand the Scriptures that God inspired to be written by ordinary people.

Well said, Eli!!! Many thanks!

Eli G

First of all you start on a wrong foot. There was never an Adam and Eve. Man has been around for at least 200,000 years. According to the Bible the universe was built in 6 literal days.

There is no contradiction if you don't need faith (and/or works) but you were predestined to be saved before the world began? And even worse, because you were not predestined, you will end up in hell? What kind of justice is this in a religion?

Talking of being saved which of the three is valid?
1) Rom 2:13 "For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified."

2) Gal 2:16 "(We) who know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ"
Eph 2:8-9 "“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast.”

3) James 2:14 "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?...24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone....26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead."
Paul refers to the fact that it is not necessary to fulfill works based on the Mosaic law. However, Paul himself insists that people who have inappropriate practices (works) will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Does Paul contradict himself in his writings, or do people misinterpret him?

jimb

Premium Member
Paul refers to the fact that it is not necessary to fulfill works based on the Mosaic law. However, Paul himself insists that people who have inappropriate practices (works) will not inherit the kingdom of God.

How about citing some Scripture to back up your claim?

jimb

Premium Member
IOW, "when I can't argue my way out of a paper bag, it's their fault, not mine."

You should read my signature again. Here is a part that you clearly missed: The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgment.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You should read my signature again. Here is a part that you clearly missed: The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgment.
My mistake. Here's the corrected version:

"when I can't argue my way out of a paper bag, it's their fault, not mine... and one day, they'll pay for making me look foolish."

Ebionite

Nether persons nor humans have any connection to the divine. Man is connected to the divine by Elohim through the role of judgment.

Ajax

Even if we suppose that this is true, Jesus said....
Matthew 5:18-19 "For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so (Paul?), shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
So Paul was clearly in the wrong and this is a contradiction..

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
Nether persons nor humans have any connection to the divine. Man is connected to the divine by Elohim through the role of judgment.

You are beyond wrong! Christians are in Christ, who is 100% divine. By extension, therefore, all Christians have Divine Life.

Here is what Paul, the converted Jew wrote, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

As the OP title correctly states, "Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation".

Read my signature below...

Eli G

Even if we suppose that this is true, Jesus said....
Matthew 5:18-19 "For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so (Paul?), shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
So Paul was clearly in the wrong and this is a
contradiction..
Or when Paul wrote what he said about the Moses' law was when already "all the law was accomplished". ;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1711915798536.jpeg

Ajax

Or when Paul wrote what he said about the Moses' law was when already "all the law was accomplished". ;)
No. that wasn't the case either, because Jesus also said...
“Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them." Mat 5:17

Eli G

No. that wasn't the case either, because Jesus also said...
“Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them." Mat 5:17
Evidently you know nothing about Christian understanding before Jesus' death and after Jesus' death.

Audie

Veteran Member
Today we have Marvel comics with science and mutations giving heroes superpowers.
Back then it was the Bible and God providing these superpowers.

Imagine a few thousand years from now folks reading a Spider-man comic as non-fiction.
What superpowers are there is the snake story
other than say a magical viper.

Herr Dr. Professor Occam would find whole story
to be absurdly contrived.