• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah's Proposed Sex Ed Law

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
First things first FH. Lets make sure they can actually read and balance a check book before we teach them about alternative life styles.
Sexual orientation isn't an "alternative life style", and its something important for kids to understand considering that some of their fellow students or they themselves might be gay.

Nice strawman you got there. :yes:

You're the one babbling about "agendas" and "indoctrination".

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Apparently the survival of your religion and your political party depends on keeping people dumb and clueless.
I would add Godless to your statement.

Teaching children that only ignorant people are religious homophobes is promoting an anti-religious doctrine.

Separation of church and state should apply to non-religion as well as religion.

Left wing commie "progressives" go around the rules keeping religion out of schools and replace it with their indoctrination of disbelief.

I don't want religion in schools AND I don't want Atheism taught as well.

Perhaps if we focused on literacy a little more, that would go further to achieve your goals of not having folks be dumb and clueless.

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Yet the two are intertwined.
But they both don't necessitate the same amount of coverage in a school system. Human reproduction should (and did in my case) have an entire class dedicated to it. Within that class, it would be appropriate to briefly cover sexuality. But really just the bare basics.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would add Godless to your statement.

Teaching children that only ignorant people are religious homophobes is promoting an anti-religious doctrine.

lol what. How is this being taught, and by who?

Separation of church and state should apply to non-religion as well as religion.
Soo... no math in school?

Left wing commie "progressives" go around the rules keeping religion out of schools and replace it with their indoctrination of disbelief.

I don't understand why you struggle with simple concepts. Secularism means religious neutrality. Not promoting any particular faith doesn't somehow magically equate promoting atheism.

I don't want religion is schools AND I don't want Atheism taught as well.
No one is teaching atheism. Where do you this **** from?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
No one is teaching atheism. Where do you this **** from?

From the bung holes of our liberal teaching staffs around this country.

How would you like Rush Limbaugh teaching your children?

Oh of course he will not indoctrinate your children, he can keep his personal views private. :facepalm:

Asking

"To replace the parent in the school setting, among people who we have no idea what their morals are, we have no ideas what their values are, yet we turn our children over to them to instruct them in the most sensitive sexual activities in their lives, I think is wrongheaded,"
Indeed it's far better to keep children ignorant of knowledge which can prevent unwanted pregnanies while simultaneously preaching to them the evils of abortion. Then again maximising human reproduction is one of Christianities goals so perhaps the proponents of this law aren't completely ignorant of the consequences.

In regards to STD's well presumable the highly successful abstinance programmes will ensure that nobody has sex before marriage and the strong moral fibre of Christians will ensure no infidelity during marriage making STD's a non-issue. As for the homosexuals surely it's better that people live a miserable lie rather than bring God's wrath upon his chosen children.

By the way I was being sarcastic in that second paragraph in case it wasn't clear

Skwim

Veteran Member
what is it about the US and sex...?
What it is is the fundie bullet of sex shame that those in all other countries have managed to duck. The puritan ethic that's been able to survive into the 21st century has done far more harm than any other religious phenomenon I can think of. By and large Americans are ashamed of their own bodies and some of its functions to the point they can't even talk about them. Is this sane? Of course it isn't. While the USA may be a world leader in many respects, on a personal, individual level many are still struggling with a medieval mind set. So in one respect America is one very stupid country . . . and I live there. :facepalm:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Lets leave sex, religion and politics out of the school system.

Let's not.
Kids need to learn how reproduction happens, that there are some people who are homosexual, that various people around the world believe in different things, how our political system works, and so on and so forth.
What should be left out is the notion that religion X is inherently right/wrong, that political ideology X is inherently right/wrong, that sexual orientation X is inherently right/wrong, and topics similar to that.

It's not the schools job to teach about sexuality period.

Why not?

Exactly, but it should. The school should remain neutral and stay out of these things instead of indoctrinating our children.

So, the only ones who are allowed to indoctrinate the kids are the parents? ;)
Seriously, what about a secular education do you find indoctrinating?

The law in the OP is wrong, I do not support it.

Agreed.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I tried real hard to give FH an unbiased sourse originally. I cannot believe he has issues with wiki.

Anyway, I stumbled across this little gem. I don't agree with everything said, but it does portray the liberal mindset IMHO.

[youtube]uGwtG8nVpUU[/youtube]
How Liberals Argue - YouTube