• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Do you actually believe that no blood was spilled in trying to spread the religion of Islam? That it was spread entirely by peaceful means? This not only contradicts the the historical accounts but also the Koran itself.

By force means,"be a muslim or die" and that didn't happen and contradicts reality as Jews and Christians lived peacefully in the Muslim Empire and a good example for it is the golden age of the Jews in Alandalus.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Islam did not spread by sword. In fact sword is a hindrance in the way of spread of Islam. Quran provides both commandments and the gist of wisdom of the same; this peculiarity is not retained in book of any other revealed religion. Islam does not sword for spreading its message and flourishes most in peace with its strong reasonable and rational arguments.

Peaceful spread of Islam in Bangladesh

Islam is the largest religion of Bangladesh, the Muslim population is approximately 148.6 million, which is the fourth largestMuslim population in the world (after Indonesia, Pakistan and India), constituting 90.4% of the total population as of 2010.[1][2][3] Religion has always been a strong part of identity, but this has varied at different times. A survey in late 2003 confirmed that religion is the first choice by a citizen for self-identification; atheism is extremely rare.[4] Bangladesh is a secular state, however the United Nations has recognised the country as mainly moderate Muslim democratic country.[5]

Islam was introduced to Bengal during the Rashidun Caliphate in the 8th century,[6] mainly by the arrivals of Arab and Persian missionaries and merchants,[7] and conquests of the region. One of the notable Muslim saints was Shah Jalal. He arrived in the region of Sylhet in 1303 with many other disciples to preach the religion to the people.[8][9]
History[edit]

Khan Mohammad Mirdha's Mosquein Dhaka, built in 1706 (18th century old mosque).

During the opening years of the 13th century, the Mughal conquest of Bengal took place, mainly as a sequel to Muhammad Ghori's expeditions late in 1192 spanning northern India. Syed Shanasiruddin was originally from Iraq but came to Bangladesh to spread Islam. Early Arab Muslims however established commercial as well as religious contacts within the region before the conquest, mainly through the coastal regions as traders and primarily via the ports of Chittagong. Arab navigation in the region was the result of the Muslim reign over the Indus delta.[10] The activities of the Muslims were expanded along the entire coast of South Asia including the coasts of Bengal. The religion of Islam entered the region in many different ways, the Muslim traders, the Turkish conquest and, the missionary activities of the MuslimSufis.[citation needed]

One of the authentications of the Arab traders present in the region was the writings of Arab geographers, found on the Meghna River located near Sandwip on the Bay of Bengal. This evidence suggests that the Arab traders had arrived along the Bengal coast long before the Turkish conquest. The Arab writers also knew about the kingdoms of Samrup and Ruhmi, the latter being identified with the empire of Dharmapal of the Pala Empire.

Between the 8th century and 12th century, the Buddhist dynasty known as the Pala Empire ruled Bengal. During that time, the majority of the population in Bengal were thought to be Buddhists. After the decline of the Pala dynasty, the Sena dynasty came to power. The large scale conversion to Islam began in the 13th century and continued for hundreds of years. Conversion was generally collective rather than individual. Islam attracted numerous Buddhists and Hindus.[citation needed] Sufis were responsible for most conversions.[10] During Ikhtiyar Uddin Bakhtiyar Khilji's control of the Bengal, Muslim missionaries in India achieved their greatest success, in terms of number of converts to Islam.[11]

Islam in Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Islam did not spread by sword. In fact sword is a hindrance in the way of spread of Islam. Quran provides both commandments and the gist of wisdom of the same; this peculiarity is not retained in book of any other revealed religion. Islam does not sword for spreading its message and flourishes most in peace with its strong reasonable and rational arguments.

Peaceful spread of Islam in Bangladesh

Islam is the largest religion of Bangladesh, the Muslim population is approximately 148.6 million, which is the fourth largestMuslim population in the world (after Indonesia, Pakistan and India), constituting 90.4% of the total population as of 2010.[1][2][3] Religion has always been a strong part of identity, but this has varied at different times. A survey in late 2003 confirmed that religion is the first choice by a citizen for self-identification; atheism is extremely rare.[4] Bangladesh is a secular state, however the United Nations has recognised the country as mainly moderate Muslim democratic country.[5]

Islam was introduced to Bengal during the Rashidun Caliphate in the 8th century,[6] mainly by the arrivals of Arab and Persian missionaries and merchants,[7] and conquests of the region. One of the notable Muslim saints was Shah Jalal. He arrived in the region of Sylhet in 1303 with many other disciples to preach the religion to the people.[8][9]
History[edit]

Khan Mohammad Mirdha's Mosquein Dhaka, built in 1706 (18th century old mosque).

During the opening years of the 13th century, the Mughal conquest of Bengal took place, mainly as a sequel to Muhammad Ghori's expeditions late in 1192 spanning northern India. Syed Shanasiruddin was originally from Iraq but came to Bangladesh to spread Islam. Early Arab Muslims however established commercial as well as religious contacts within the region before the conquest, mainly through the coastal regions as traders and primarily via the ports of Chittagong. Arab navigation in the region was the result of the Muslim reign over the Indus delta.[10] The activities of the Muslims were expanded along the entire coast of South Asia including the coasts of Bengal. The religion of Islam entered the region in many different ways, the Muslim traders, the Turkish conquest and, the missionary activities of the MuslimSufis.[citation needed]

One of the authentications of the Arab traders present in the region was the writings of Arab geographers, found on the Meghna River located near Sandwip on the Bay of Bengal. This evidence suggests that the Arab traders had arrived along the Bengal coast long before the Turkish conquest. The Arab writers also knew about the kingdoms of Samrup and Ruhmi, the latter being identified with the empire of Dharmapal of the Pala Empire.

Between the 8th century and 12th century, the Buddhist dynasty known as the Pala Empire ruled Bengal. During that time, the majority of the population in Bengal were thought to be Buddhists. After the decline of the Pala dynasty, the Sena dynasty came to power. The large scale conversion to Islam began in the 13th century and continued for hundreds of years. Conversion was generally collective rather than individual. Islam attracted numerous Buddhists and Hindus.[citation needed] Sufis were responsible for most conversions.[10] During Ikhtiyar Uddin Bakhtiyar Khilji's control of the Bengal, Muslim missionaries in India achieved their greatest success, in terms of number of converts to Islam.[11]

Islam in Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

You've posted this before. Stop spamming this.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Oops. The other posts were about other countries. They just looked the same to me.
The other post was about Muslim efforts in China. Given the miniscule effect they have had on Chinese culture, it is puzzling why any self-respecting Muslim would think to bring it up.

Who knows, maybe next he will bring up Muslims in Antarctica.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The other post was about Muslim efforts in China. Given the miniscule effect they have had on Chinese culture, it is puzzling why any self-respecting Muslim would think to bring it up.

Who said to you that it was about its effect on China ?
Reading is a thing and understanding is another thing.

It is about the claim that Islam was spread by the sword which proven wrong by those examples.

It is about reality whereas yours is due to your willful ignorance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Who said to you that it was about its effect on China ?
Reading is a thing and understanding is another thing.

It is about the claim that Islam was spread by the sword which proven wrong by those examples.

It is about reality whereas yours is due to your willful ignorance.
Hehe. Um, using China as an example is almost ridiculous, FearGod. As I have now said a few times, Islam was spread by the sword AND by other means. That would be reality. Did it happen in ALL areas? Of course not. Did it happen wherever Muslim armies went, of course it did. Do you think it mere coincidence that wherever Muslim armies traveled that the populations converted to Islam en masse?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hehe. Um, using China as an example is almost ridiculous, FearGod. As I have now said a few times, Islam was spread by the sword AND by other means. That would be reality. Did it happen in ALL areas? Of course not. Did it happen wherever Muslim armies went, of course it did. Do you think it mere coincidence that wherever Muslim armies traveled that the populations converted to Islam en masse?

And people are converting to Islam nowadays because of the sword.:sarcastic

Actually many had converted to Islam while suffering a lot due to conversion.

No YmirGF, i don't agree with you, it is ridiculous to think that people can be forced to believe in God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Islam has spread in every nook and corner of the planet Earth; peacefully of course. Yes, there are Muslims in Antarctica; gone there peacefully and they have established mosques and community centers there:

Islamic Places in Antarctica

Masjids (mosques), Islamic Centers and Muslim Owned Businesses
Muslim Eskimos Community Center, South Pole - Amundsen-Scott Station South Pole

Antarctica Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast Ramaza

Regards

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
And people are converting to Islam nowadays because of the sword.:sarcastic
I didn't say that was the case, now, did I?

Actually many had converted to Islam while suffering a lot due to conversion.
Then again, becoming an apostate in a Muslim country is not something to be yelled from the highest rooftops. Muslims are, generally speaking, not known for their tolerance of apostates.

No YmirGF, i don't agree with you, it is ridiculous to think that people can be forced to believe in God.
It is ridiculous when speaking of true belief, but it is very simple to force people to outwardly adhere to a religion.

Flankerl

Islam has spread in every nook and corner of the planet Earth; peacefully of course. Yes, there are Muslims in Antarctica; gone there peacefully and they have established mosques and community centers there:

Islamic Places in Antarctica

Masjids (mosques), Islamic Centers and Muslim Owned Businesses
Muslim Eskimos Community Center, South Pole - Amundsen-Scott Station South Pole

Antarctica Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast Ramaza

Regards

Antarctica never had an indigenous population. So it obviously never had Eskimo/Inuit people.

:facepalm:

Yeah the christianisation of Europe and the Americas never happened.

Islam 101.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I didn't say that was the case, now, did I?

Of course you didn't,but that is another proof that Islam is spreading due to logic and not force.

Then again, becoming an apostate in a Muslim country is not something to be yelled from the highest rooftops. Muslims are, generally speaking, not known for their tolerance of apostates.

Al Razi was a muslim scientist who authored a book declaring prophets as frauds,but he wasn't killed and was respected for his scientific achievements and till our recent days.

0.jpg

It is ridiculous when speaking of true belief, but it is very simple to force people to outwardly adhere to a religion.

Those are hypocrites,they existed from day 1 in Islam,but not due to force but because they are atheists in spirit and religious for their dirty goals.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
You are very right here. All religions in essence are peaceful.

Regards

I agree. But will you call various invaders to India peaceful propagators of Islam? I do think that they were all looters, pirates, or bandits, having no link to real Islam.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree. But will you call various invaders to India peaceful propagators of Islam? I do think that they were all looters, pirates, or bandits, having no link to real Islam.
Ah, the no true Muslim fallacy. Gotcha.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Something really bad must have happened to you to despise Islam that much!
To be fair, I tend to be fairly hard on all religions. Islam, however, has peaked my interest since 9/11. But then, as I hear the argument go in this thread, that attack was not committed by "true" Muslims... apparently... Before that it was the nutjobs that took over Iran. I guess they are not "true" Muslims either... and then the thousands of incidents, from around the world, that featured Muslims who were apparently not "true" Muslims right up to the latest escapades of Boko Haram and their abducting young schoolgirls. No doubt, Boko Haram are not "true" Muslims either...

The really weird bit here is that one supposedly Muslim writer in this very thread opined that only 5-10% of declared Muslims are "real" Muslims. If that number is true how can non-Muslims possibly believe a word any Muslim is saying? It's almost like we need a sniff test to vet what a Muslim is claiming before we can decide if they are one of the "real" Muslims...

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
To be fair, I tend to be fairly hard on all religions. Islam, however, has peaked my interest since 9/11. But then, as I hear the argument go in this thread, that attack was not committed by "true" Muslims... apparently... Before that it was the nutjobs that took over Iran. I guess they are not "true" Muslims either... and then the thousands of incidents, from around the world, that featured Muslims who were apparently not "true" Muslims right up to the latest escapades of Boko Haram and their abducting young schoolgirls. No doubt, Boko Haram are not "true" Muslims either...

The really weird bit here is that one supposedly Muslim writer in this very thread opined that only 5-10% of declared Muslims are "real" Muslims. If that number is true how can non-Muslims possibly believe a word any Muslim is saying? It's almost like we need a sniff test to vet what a Muslim is claiming before we can decide if they are one of the "real" Muslims...

That defines Islam and stands for the +1.5 billions Muslims in +50 Muslim countries and as well scattered in all non Muslims countries world wide?

If Islam and Muslims are who you think they are; the monsters and the takers by the sword, the +1.5 billion of them would have taken over the world by now!

You only see on the media and listen to people. You never lived the life of a Muslim or in a Muslims country to give a valid conclusion!

Last but not the least, and this is generally speaking and not about you, why is it my fault that I, a Muslims that talks to you with respect, respect other beliefs and thoughts, make friends from all faiths and interact with non Muslims at my work place like they are of us, as well as other Muslims like that, to be generalized because of examples like the ones you gave?

Status
Not open for further replies.