• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
No, my brother?
I speak frankly and Koran
If you mean to refer to the number of verse and Sura
And also the name of the book and the writer
That I am here to Aavolh
For various reasons
Type of knowledge during my studies and also
I left all my books
Due to migration
And I could no Muslim guidance to all the words that I write
For example -
The issue of the killing of Mohammed 500 Jews in one day
Whatever the reasons for killing
Do you think that humans accept this disposition
Do you think that this act of the Prophet

I am sorry you left all your books due to immigration.

Killing 500 people of any religion is a tragedy.

It is very late for me, so I wish you a good evening, perhaps we can continue this discussion tomorrow or another day.

Salaam Alaikum.

Last edited:

mahasn ebn sawresho

If this is true, how can it be overcome? It seems only through interfaith dialogue.

Yes, that is my idea
He can dialogue with all religions
But there is an important problem with Islam
For this dialogue to be sterile and Aaithamr and does not give any positive results
And I will give you a clear example
Has been recognized by all Arab countries, human rights
Including the freedom of belief, opinion and equality
But any Arab or Muslim country believe correctly
The problem is very deep
Between Islam and other religions
That candor with the full

mahasn ebn sawresho

Do you think because I am a Jew I believe every word in the Torah ? No, far from it.

If you disagree with parts of the Koran you should be able to say so. I hope you feel free to do so.

The words of the brave and free in the word
I also agree with you in that direction
But is there a Muslim agree with us to tell the truth
And our names frank open dialogue
So we take the responsibility of our words Facts

Sees

Dragonslayer
If this is true, how can it be overcome? It seems only through interfaith dialogue.

Progressive reimagining, reshaping, reforming in my opinion, if even that will suffice enough.

One of the secrets to the Iraq war was the vast majority we fought post initial invasion were not Iraqis. The question was always "where are they all coming from?" The bigger secret is the answer - that it was easier/quicker to list Muslim majority nations which they didn't come from. How radical of a shift is needed to alter the religion in a way that new versions of Al-Qaeda, Hamas, ISIS, etc. don't crop up? I don't know if it is possible.

We are sad to hear about one of these groups smashing or burning idols or relics, or attacking other religious groups outright - yet we are really just witnessing parts of Muhammad's era brought back to life.

The 500 Jews mentioned above is actually said to be 800 by some. Dropped trousers and, if there was pubic hair, off with the head. Jews who never lifted a finger towards Muhammad or his followers. How do you liberalize imbedded core components that breed this type of stuff?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Niger:[1]

Islam in Niger accounts for the vast majority of the nation's religious adherents. The faith is practiced by more than 94% of the population,[1] although this figure varies by source and percentage of population who are classified as Animist. The vast majority of Muslims in Niger are Malikite Sunni with Sufi influences. Many of the communities who continue to practice elements of traditional religions do so within a framework of syncretic Islamic belief, making agreed statistics difficult.

Islam in Niger, although dating back more than a millennium, gained dominance over traditional religions only in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and has been marked by influences from neighboring societies. Sufi brotherhoods have become the dominant Muslim organisation, like much of West Africa. Despite this, a variety of interpretations of Islam coexist—largely in peace—with one another as well as with minorities of other faiths. The government of Niger is secular in law while recognising the importance of Islam to the vast majority of its citizens.

Demographics

Majority of Muslims are Sunni with many of those being linked to the Tijaniya Sufi brotherhoods. Approximately 7% are Shi'a and 6% Ahmadi.[1][2] Hammallism and Sanusiya sects have had historic influence in the far west and far northeast of the county in the colonial period, while sections of Nyassist Sufi orders and Arab Wahhabite followers have appeared in the last thirty years.[3] The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is also present, established in the country in 1956.

History

Islam was spread into what is now Niger beginning in the 15th century, by both the expansion of the Songhai Empire in the west, and the influence of the Trans-Saharan trade traveling from the Maghreb and Egypt. Tuareg expansion from the north, culminating in their seizure of the far eastern oases from the Kanem-Bornu Empire in the 17th centuries, spread distinctivelyBerber practices. Both Zarma and Hausa areas were greatly influenced by the 18th and 19th century Fula led Sufibrotherhoods, most notably the Sokoto Caliphate (in today's Nigeria).[4]

The region around Say, on the Niger River was a center of Sufi religious instruction and Maliki legal interpretation, imported byFulani clerics in the 1800s. While the Qadiriyyah Sufi orders were dominant in Northern and eastern Niger in the 19th century, as well as those areas under the sway of the Sokoto Caliphate, the first two decades of 20th century saw the rise of theTijaniya, especially in the west of the country.

Militantly anti-colonial Hammallism spread from Mali in the northwest in the 1920s, while much of the Kaocen Revolt of Tuareg groups was inspired by Sanusiya sects in what is today Libya. More recently, Senegalese Nyassist Sufi teachers, especially in the Dosso area have gained converts, while some small Arab Wahhabiteteaching is funded in Niger—as in much of Africa—through Saudi Arabian missionary groups.[3]

Islam in Niger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Niger

Do you see any? Please

Regards

Looncall

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Niger:[1]

Islam in Niger accounts for the vast majority of the nation's religious adherents. The faith is practiced by more than 94% of the population,[1] although this figure varies by source and percentage of population who are classified as Animist. The vast majority of Muslims in Niger are Malikite Sunni with Sufi influences. Many of the communities who continue to practice elements of traditional religions do so within a framework of syncretic Islamic belief, making agreed statistics difficult.

Islam in Niger, although dating back more than a millennium, gained dominance over traditional religions only in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and has been marked by influences from neighboring societies. Sufi brotherhoods have become the dominant Muslim organisation, like much of West Africa. Despite this, a variety of interpretations of Islam coexist—largely in peace—with one another as well as with minorities of other faiths. The government of Niger is secular in law while recognising the importance of Islam to the vast majority of its citizens.

Demographics

Majority of Muslims are Sunni with many of those being linked to the Tijaniya Sufi brotherhoods. Approximately 7% are Shi'a and 6% Ahmadi.[1][2] Hammallism and Sanusiya sects have had historic influence in the far west and far northeast of the county in the colonial period, while sections of Nyassist Sufi orders and Arab Wahhabite followers have appeared in the last thirty years.[3] The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is also present, established in the country in 1956.

History

Islam was spread into what is now Niger beginning in the 15th century, by both the expansion of the Songhai Empire in the west, and the influence of the Trans-Saharan trade traveling from the Maghreb and Egypt. Tuareg expansion from the north, culminating in their seizure of the far eastern oases from the Kanem-Bornu Empire in the 17th centuries, spread distinctivelyBerber practices. Both Zarma and Hausa areas were greatly influenced by the 18th and 19th century Fula led Sufibrotherhoods, most notably the Sokoto Caliphate (in today's Nigeria).[4]

The region around Say, on the Niger River was a center of Sufi religious instruction and Maliki legal interpretation, imported byFulani clerics in the 1800s. While the Qadiriyyah Sufi orders were dominant in Northern and eastern Niger in the 19th century, as well as those areas under the sway of the Sokoto Caliphate, the first two decades of 20th century saw the rise of theTijaniya, especially in the west of the country.

Militantly anti-colonial Hammallism spread from Mali in the northwest in the 1920s, while much of the Kaocen Revolt of Tuareg groups was inspired by Sanusiya sects in what is today Libya. More recently, Senegalese Nyassist Sufi teachers, especially in the Dosso area have gained converts, while some small Arab Wahhabiteteaching is funded in Niger—as in much of Africa—through Saudi Arabian missionary groups.[3]

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Niger

Do you see any? Please

Regards

Do you not realize that just one counter-example, such as is easily found in the history of India, utterly refutes your position?

The best you can hope for is to claim that islam was not always spread by force. If you claim that it was never spread by force, you will be lieing through your teeth.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Dear Muslim friend
You confuse the beginning of Islam and the spread of Islam

If Qrat Meccan verses you'll see a recipe that Muhammad was a harbinger and warner
And not the messenger
Muhammad was in Mecca peacefully
He could not prove his prophecy
Because the words that he was saying he knew the Arabs in Mecca
Because he was in them pastor <nasrane>
there defrenent between< nasrane and christ >
al -nasara --isIs a wide spread in the Arabian Peninsula
The belief in the faith of Christ not same with the faith of the Church, as announced by the Council of Chalcedon
It does not believe in the divinity of Christ
This band merged with Islam in two ways
The first sword
The second eviction
Muhammad knew
al -nasara
But Christians who know Mohammed were folks Ngeranotojd two soorahs Tlcalsorten is in the Koran Mohammed dialogue with Christians from the people of Najran
The expulsion of Mohammed c

That is why some Muslims migrated to Abyssinia and which returned to Medina
That call did not spread
But Badahjrth to Medina changed policies
He moved to the sword
Medina landed in the first fight Lite
Including the spread of Islam
And also in the beginning of Christianity is Christianity from Palestine
But it was the spread of Christianity through the apostles of Christ
Those committed to the commandment of Christ

At the beginning of the call of Muhammad did not announce that he Messenger

That is not correct. Muhammad announced his prophet-hood right from the start in Mecca.

For example following meccan chapter of Quran could be referred:

112. Al-Ikhlas, 109. Al-Kafirun, 97. Al-Qadr, 72. Al-Jinn

Please prove your stance after reading these meccan chapters of Quran or correct your stance.

Anybody please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ mahasn ebn sawresho

Also please read my post #652 on First Converts of Muhammad.

The first converts at Mecca had clearly learnt about Muhammad&#8217;s prophet-hood and that he had received a message from the One-True-God and only then they accepted him as a prophet/messenger; there was no ambiguity in it.

Please correct your stance.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ mahasn ebn sawresho: Post#667

At the beginning of the call of Muhammad did not announce that he Messenger

The Meccans believed in G-d but associated with Him human intercessors as partners.

Quran/Islam/Muhammad have given a Kalima (or motto/slogan) to Muslims:

There is none worthy of worship except Allah (the One-True-God); Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah (the One-True-God).

A Muslim has to testify both the above items to become a Muslim from the day one Muhammad was given a message for the whole mankind and appointed prophet/messenger by Allah (the One-True-God).

For example of the first item I quote here Quran : Chapter 112: Al-Ikhlas &#1575;&#1604;&#1575;&#1621;&#1582;&#1604;&#1575;&#1589;
Classification: Meccan (Wikipedia):

Transliteration:

[112:1] Bismill&#257;hi -r-Ra&#7717;m&#257;ni -r-Ra&#7717;&#299;m
[112:2] Qul huwa All&#257;hu a&#7717;ad
[112:3] Allahu -&#7779;-&#7779;amad
[112:4] Lam yalid wa lam y&#363;lad
[112:5] Wa lam yaku(n)l lahu kufuwan a&#7717;ad

Translation:

[112:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[112:2] Say, &#8216;He is Allah, the One;
[112:3] &#8216;Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
[112:4] &#8216;He begets not, nor is He begotten;
[112:5] &#8216;And there is none like unto Him.&#8217;

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

This chapter revealed at Mecca corrected, rectified and reformed concepts of Meccans, Christians and Jews at one go.

Muhammad was a straightforward person; he told exactly what was revealed on him by Allah in the teeth of the opposition whoever they might be; Meccans, Christians and or Jews.

Please correct yourself. The message was clear and the messenger was straightforward; yet peaceful for everybody.

Regards

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
That is not correct. Muhammad announced his prophet-hood right from the start in Mecca.

For example following meccan chapter of Quran could be referred:

112. Al-Ikhlas, 109. Al-Kafirun, 97. Al-Qadr, 72. Al-Jinn

Please prove your stance after reading these meccan chapters of Quran or correct your stance.

Anybody please

Regards
According to Islamic tradition (not mine) Muhammad believed he was possessed not inspired originally. He had very good reason, whatever he met in that cave lines up exactly with the description of demon possession and influence in the bible. It lines up exactly opposite to every account of Gabriel in the bible. Muhammad was suicidal and scared by what occurred. Only when his first (of many) wives talked him into believing he was a prophet did that role ensue. No one cared much about his claim as he had less than 250 converts in the first dozen years and most were family and friends, however later after he had wealth and power to throw around it grew to 100,000 over the next vengeful, bloody, tyrannical dozen years. I can't find justification for faith in any of that.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
According to Islamic tradition (not mine) Muhammad believed he was possessed not inspired originally. He had very good reason, whatever he met in that cave lines up exactly with the description of demon possession and influence in the bible. It lines up exactly opposite to every account of Gabriel in the bible. Muhammad was suicidal and scared by what occurred. Only when his first (of many) wives talked him into believing he was a prophet did that role ensue. No one cared much about his claim as he had less than 250 converts in the first dozen years and most were family and friends, however later after he had wealth and power to throw around it grew to 100,000 over the next vengeful, bloody, tyrannical dozen years. I can't find justification for faith in any of that.

According to Islamic tradition (not mine) Muhammad believed he was possessed not inspired originally.

Please quote from Quran to prove your viewpoint.

Jesus did not have even two hundred fifty truthful disciples; even the twelve did not listen to him. When Jesus time of trial came; Jesus instructed them to remain awake and pray for his life; they did not do it. Three time he checked they were asleep. One betrayed him openly and when he was put on the cross they all fled away. This is all in the Gospel "According to Matthew".

Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

mahasn ebn sawresho

@ mahasn ebn sawresho: Post#667

The Meccans believed in G-d but associated with Him human intercessors as partners.

Quran/Islam/Muhammad have given a Kalima (or motto/slogan) to Muslims:

A Muslim has to testify both the above items to become a Muslim from the day one Muhammad was given a message for the whole mankind and appointed prophet/messenger by Allah (the One-True-God).What is this talk
Hey friend, a Muslim
What do you mean, despite everyone's nose
Is it an intellectual terrorism
In any case, this intellectual dialogue
Do you have to speak in this way
I told you that Mohammed did not declare himself the Messenger
In the Meccan verses
And you'll see the Koran
Mohammed said he was a missionary for himself and Nazir
It is the only verse that refers to his mission in Mecca
You read books Ckikh Bukhari
From old editions
Pre-1980
Because after these editions became revision
And deletions because Muslims felt Bouktorhh Bedalkellmat
In these books the Islamic heritage

For example of the first item I quote here Quran : Chapter 112: Al-Ikhlas &#1575;&#1604;&#1575;&#1621;&#1582;&#1604;&#1575;&#1589;
Classification: Meccan (Wikipedia):

Transliteration:

[112:1] Bismill&#257;hi -r-Ra&#7717;m&#257;ni -r-Ra&#7717;&#299;m
[112:2] Qul huwa All&#257;hu a&#7717;ad
[112:3] Allahu -&#7779;-&#7779;amad
[112:4] Lam yalid wa lam y&#363;lad
[112:5] Wa lam yaku(n)l lahu kufuwan a&#7717;ad

Translation:

[112:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[112:2] Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;
[112:3] ‘Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
[112:4] ‘He begets not, nor is He begotten;
[112:5] ‘And there is none like unto Him.’

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

This chapter revealed at Mecca corrected, rectified and reformed concepts of Meccans, Christians and Jews at one go.

Muhammad was a straightforward person; he told exactly what was revealed on him by Allah in the teeth of the opposition whoever they might be; Meccans, Christians and or Jews.

Please correct yourself. The message was clear and the messenger was straightforward; yet peaceful for everybody.

Regards
What is this talk
Hey friend, a Muslim
What do you mean, despite everyone's nose
Is it an intellectual terrorism
In any case, this intellectual dialogue
Do you have to speak in this way
I told you that Mohammed did not declare himself the Messenger
In the Meccan verses
And you'll see the Koran
Mohammed said he was a missionary for himself and Nazir
It is the only verse that refers to his mission in Mecca
You read books Ckikh Bukhari
From old editions
Pre-1980
Because after these editions became revision
And deletions because Muslims felt Bouktorhh Bedalkellmat
In these books the Islamic heritage

mahasn ebn sawresho

Each transfer is Meccan verses and the translation of the words of our holy book of the Torah and the Gospel
Even in this transport was Modulation, forgery and clear
And also has been copied most of the states of the Meccan period
Mohammed after he went to Medina and use the sword to spread his callIn Mecca, Islam did not spread
Did not accept his words only people close to him
They were<al nasara> from the original
And their guide was a son of the Rev. and paper cousin Mohammed NofalBut in the Medina era starting sword
The prevalence and the reasons that I wrote earlier and I repeat some
First -
Because he allowed his followers booty spoils of war, which is money and also women
Because some of his followers were a group of bandits
And their private label
And also to Muhammad allowed his followers to have sex
Such as allowing temporary marriage
It is configurable marriage
This marriage is known in the Koran and has a clear mandate, but that halted work done

mahasn ebn sawresho

Muslims say that Mohammed declared faith guessed one
But this is not true
Because the absolute uniformity is found in the Bible and Christianity
We Ananaj to humans from Asahraany teaches us this speech
Open the Bible and Torah Read from the beginning to the end
God is the one
Christianity did not come out for this, but God given to us as a God of love
Muslim friend
When looking at the attributes of God
In Islam
The attributes of God in Judaism and Christianity
There is a big differenceAnd compared to the best scientific and simple
By Belgian original thinker
The name comes down
He wrote that comparison wonderful in his book .mizan right,
Who wrote at the end of the eighteenth century
Yes contradictions in the Koran
Because he recognizes in the state of the Koran
He says
God but which secured him the children of Israel
To the end of the Koran Knhvi Agheihma recognition
When ordering his followers to fight the sons of Israel that many contradictions
That's recipes

mahasn ebn sawresho

Some believe that our word is against peace
And we are in a state of hostility with Islam
* Do not say this is not true
Personally, I declared my love to humans
But at the thought of
There is freedom of speech and
Can Anacol that Islam spread peace, especially in the first phase
This talk Aicolh for any human being has an iota of logical mind
What is the problem if a Muslim said that Islam spread by the sword
Did you know that the Saudi flag Sevan Mtaqtaan them and certificates
Do you know that all modern Islamic movements raise the slogan of the sword with the Koran

mahasn ebn sawresho

Dear Muslim
Do not get angry when you hear the truth
Search
* Islam elders prevented Search
But Mohammed was going to the people of the book and ask them
I will write Arabic verse Ballah
&#1575;&#1606; &#1603;&#1606;&#1578; &#1601;&#1610; &#1588;&#1603; &#1605;&#1605;&#1575; &#1575;&#1606;&#1586;&#1604;&#1606;&#1575; &#1575;&#1604;&#1610;&#1603; &#1575;&#1587;&#1575;&#1604; &#1575;&#1604;&#1584;&#1610;&#1606; &#1610;&#1602;&#1585;&#1575;&#1572;&#1606; &#1575;&#1604;&#1603;&#1578;&#1575;&#1576; &#1605;&#1606; &#1602;&#1576;&#1604;&#1603;
This verse is to prove that Muhammad was writing his book, some parts of the former book was in his hands
It is not alive
Do not download
Because it is an Islamic mythBut who replaced the goals of missionary and foreboding to the Messenger of Allah is the final Swords Medina
He was the successor to the Rev. sheet son Nofal on Mecca al-nsranea Church
The messenger is not the first of its qualities in Mecca greetings

mahasn ebn sawresho

Please quote from Quran to prove your viewpoint.

Jesus did not have even two hundred fifty truthful disciples; even the twelve did not listen to him. When Jesus time of trial came; Jesus instructed them to remain awake and pray for his life; they did not do it. Three time he checked they were asleep. One betrayed him openly and when he was put on the cross they all fled away. This is all in the Gospel "According to Matthew".

Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Yes, beginning with Christ was twelve Messenger
Or pupil
In Palestine had many believers in Jesus
They were also of the Jews and the Samaritans and also from Nazareth
After the resurrection of Christ, the apostles to spread around the world and spread the word
Without Swords
Without money
Only the word divine motivated to accomplish their mission missionary to the world
And to this day
Propagate Christianity be the word, love
To Aspallergab Walter

mahasn ebn sawresho

Do not know the numbers of believers in Christ in Palestine
But the texts of the Bible know that a large number
For example, the five loaves
I've had those who follow Jesus to hear his words five thousand
In one place
So the biggest number so
So from the beginning of Christ's call large numbers of believers
There is one reason that the Jews did not believe in Christ all
Jews are waiting for the Messiah who is the king of the Kingdom of Daoud new
But Alchristaaln that his kingdom is not of this world
Here Jews split Vemsalh faith in Christ
And do not forget
That the Jews in Palestine were those revolutionary movements such as the Maccabees
Which was seeking to freedom from the Roman occupation
I say they are believers in Christ in the thousands
This is the beginning of Christianity

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Yes, beginning with Christ was twelve Messenger
Or pupil
In Palestine had many believers in Jesus
They were also of the Jews and the Samaritans and also from Nazareth
After the resurrection of Christ, the apostles to spread around the world and spread the word
Without Swords
Without money
Only the word divine motivated to accomplish their mission missionary to the world
And to this day
Propagate Christianity be the word, love
To Aspallergab Walter

Today, Islam is spreading by the bombs. :sarcastic

[youtube]SNGDBiC5Jk8[/youtube]
Hundreds of thousand of Christians converting to Islam in Europe - YouTube

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:
Spread of Islam in Niger: [2]

Contemporary Islam

Government support
The government does not directly fund religion and is legally separated from religious practice, but has funded several Muslim-oriented programs, such as a Muslim radio ministry and given US$18.5 Million in 1982 towards the establishment of the Islamic University of Niger in Say, itself founded and partially funded through donations from the Arab world.[5]

The government has made three Muslim feasts national holidays, as well as two Christian holidays

1990s conflict
In the 1990s there surfaced agitation for a move to the institutionalization of a Sharia legal system or even an Islamic Republic, attributed to elements of the Hausa based Islamist movements across the border in Nigeria. The Maradi based Movement for Suppressing Innovations and Restoring Sunnah - IZALA, allegedly funded by clerics from Jos, Nigeria[7] pushed for greater adherence to their interpretation of Muslim law, and the conversion of those practicing other religions or holding Muslim interpretations inconsistent with these clerics.[8][9][10]

Tensions between these groups rose during the political instability marking the end of the Third Republic (1993&#8211;1996), attributed also to population movements of rural syncretic Muslims because of food shortages and political involvement of Nigerian groups and of the Niger military government who seized power between 1996-1999.[11][12] Tensions culminated in a series of November 2000 riots surrounding a French run Niamey based fashion show which they deemed immoral. Violence in Niamey and Maradi, the center for most fundamentalist groups, spread to attacks on government, western, and Christian missionaries.

The Nigerien government under both the Third Republic and (current) Fifth Republic has been swift and harsh in crackdowns on groups suspected of promoting religious intolerance, banning a number of religious groups and imprisoning leaders. Niger maintains its status as asecular state enshrined in the constitution of the Fifth Republic.[13]

Tolerance[edit]
These events were seen then and now as more exception than rule, with interfaith relations deemed very good, and the forms of Islam traditionally practiced in most of the country marked by tolerance of other faiths and lack of restrictions on personal freedom.[14] Divorce and Polygyny are unremarkable, women are not secluded, and headcoverings are not mandatory&#8212;they are often a rarity in urban areas.[15] Alcohol, such as the locally produced Bière Niger, is sold openly in most of the country.

Sycretic beliefs[edit]
Despite a long history in what is today Niger, Islam did not become the dominant faith of many rural areas until the 20th century. The continuation of some elements of traditional beliefs continue both is small isolated pockets, and in practices of larger groups of nominal Muslim Nigeriens. Communities who continue to practice elements of traditional religions are often marked out as ethnic sub groups of the Songhay, the Kanouri (the Manga sub group), or Hausa (the Maouri/Azna/Mawri).

The distinction between these groups and their Muslim neighbors is often a gradient. As well, elements of some Muslim communities continue to practice traditional spirit possession cults, active in the late 19th century. These include the "holey" cults of the Djerma and the Bori cult of the Hausa.[16]

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Niger.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.