• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in South Africa: [4]

Islam in South Africa is a minority religion, practiced by less than 1.5% of the total population, according to estimates.

History

The VOC period[edit][3]

Sa‘id Alowie (Sayyid ‘Alawi), popularly known as Tuan Sa‘id, of Mocca in Yemen, Arabia, arrived at the Cape in 1744 with Hadjie Matarim. They were banished to the Cape by the Dutch and were incarcerated on Robben Island.

On his release from Robben Island Tuan Sa'id settled at the Cape where he worked as a police constable - an occupation which gave him ample opportunities for visiting slave quarters at night to teach. Tuan Sa‘id is known for his active Da'wah (missionary endeavor) amongst the slaves in the Slave Lodge. He is generally regarded as the first official imam of the Cape Muslims.[6]

In 1767 Prince Abdullah Kadi Abu Salaam of Tidore, Indonesia, was exiled to the Cape. He wrote a copy of the Quran from memory during his incarceration, and the volume is still preserved in Cape Town. He was released from jail in 1793 and establish a madrasah or Islamic school the same year.[3]

It is the first madrasah in the country and extremely popular among the slaves and the Free Black community. It played an important role in converting many slaves to Islam. It was also at this madrasah that the literary teaching of Arabic-Afrikaans emerged. It was through his work at the madrasah that he gained the appellation Tuan Guru, meaning mister teacher.[6]

In 1793 the growth of the community encouraged Cape Town's Muslims to petition the VOC for permission to build a mosque.[6] Tuan Guru became the first imam of the first mosque established at the Cape.[7] Islam was a popular religion among the slaves - its tradition of teaching enabled literate slaves to gain better positions in their masters' households, and the religion taught its followers to treat their own slaves well.

Islam in South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in South Africa.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Originally Posted by FearGod
Which verse says that the Apostate should be killed ?

Surah Al-baqarah verse 217
And also the Hadith of Muhammad and a books and Islamic sources neither apologized nor honestly compensated transfer of the weak capabilities of the device which would serve

I give here the verse mentioned by you with the verses in the context :

The Holy Quran : Chapter 2: Al-Baqarah

[2:212] Ask of the children of Israel how many clear Signs We gave them. But whoso changes the gift of Allah after it has come to him, surely, then, Allah is severe in punishing.
[2:213] The life of this world is made to appear attractive to those who disbelieve; and they scoff at those who believe. But those who fear God shall be above them on the Day of Resurrection; and Allah bestows His gifts on whomsoever He pleases without reckoning.
[2:214] Mankind were one community, then they differed among themselves, so Allah raised Prophets as bearers of good tidings and as warners, and sent down with them the Book containing the truth that He might judge between the people wherein they differed. But now they began to differ about the Book, and none differed about it except those to whom it was given, after clear Signs had come to them, out of envy towards one another. Now has Allah, by His command, guided the believers to the truth in regard to which they (the unbelievers) differed; and Allah guides whomsoever He pleases to the right path.
[2:215] Do you think that you will enter Heaven while there has not come over you the condition of those who passed away before you? Poverty and afflictions befell them, and they were violently shaken until the Messenger and those who believed along with him said: ‘When will come the help of Allah?’ Yea, surely the help of Allah is nigh.
[2:216] They ask thee what they shall spend. Say: ‘Whatever of good and abundant wealth you spend should be for parents and near relatives and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer. And whatever good you do, surely Allah knows it well.’
[2:217] Fighting is ordained for you, though it is repugnant to you; but it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you like a thing while it is bad for you. Allah knows all things, and you know not.
[2:218] They ask thee about fighting in the Sacred Month. Say: ‘Fighting therein is a greattransgression, but to hinder men from the way of Allah, and to be ungrateful to Him and to hinder men from the Sacred Mosque, and to turn out its people therefrom, is a greater sinwith Allah; and persecution is worse than killing.’ And they will not cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith, if they can. And whoso from among you turns back from his faith and dies while he is a disbeliever, it is they whose works shall be vain in this world and the next. These are the inmates of the Fire and therein shall they abide.
[2:219] Those who believe and those who emigrate and strive hard in the cause of Allah, it is these who hope for Allah’s mercy; and Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

Now prove your viewpoint, please.

Regards

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
paarsurrey,

Hypothetically, if a man is a good man all his life and one day he murders his neighbor for no reason, is he a good man because 99% of the time he's been a good man, or is he a murderer?

The Quran is like this man, of course you can find peaceful verses. But you can also find violent verses. Muslims claim that Islam is "a religion of peace", but if that's the case, it should not be so easy to find violent verses in the Quran.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
paarsurrey,

Hypothetically, if a man is a good man all his life and one day he murders his neighbor for no reason, is he a good man because 99% of the time he's been a good man, or is he a murderer?

The Quran is like this man, of course you can find peaceful verses. But you can also find violent verses. Muslims claim that Islam is "a religion of peace", but if that's the case, it should not be so easy to find violent verses in the Quran.

Is it because of the quran we have wars and violence ?
Will we have a better and peaceful world without Islam ?

And when thy Lord said to the angels, 'I am setting in the earth a viceroy.' They said, 'What, wilt Thou set therein one who will do corruption there, and shed blood, while We proclaim Thy praise and call Thee Holy?' He said, 'Assuredly I know that you know not.'(2:30)

Sees

Dragonslayer

And when thy Lord said to the angels, 'I am setting in the earth a viceroy.' They said, 'What, wilt Thou set therein one who will do corruption there, and shed blood, while We proclaim Thy praise and call Thee Holy?' He said, 'Assuredly I know that you know not.'(2:30)

Not to be all cryptic and stuff, but your answer lies in your own response to the reverse - "Would we have a better and peaceful world if only Islam existed?"

Find a handful of Muslims who say no and there may yet be hope.

Exclusive truth, divine providence, perfection of religion...mixed with totalitarian systems...believers or/vs non-believers.

Everybody else doing it wrong, being tricked by Satan, what have you - will always inspire religious strife...influence conflicts in general.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Not to be all cryptic and stuff, but your answer lies in your own response to the reverse - "Would we have a better and peaceful world if only Islam existed?"

Find a handful of Muslims who say no and there may yet be hope.

Exclusive truth, divine providence, perfection of religion...mixed with totalitarian systems...believers or/vs non-believers.

Everybody else doing it wrong, being tricked by Satan, what have you - will always inspire religious strife...influence conflicts in general.

My point is that violence always do exist regardless of religion, even if we don't have any religion still wars will exist and that was mentioned in the quran that humans are doing it by nature but God have a purpose from the creation of man.

mahasn ebn sawresho

Praise be to Allaah and blessings and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah and his family, and after:

It has been proven from the Prophet (PBUH) said: "does not solve the blood of a Muslim man by only one of three: thaib adulterer, self and leaver's religion ironically for the community. Narrated by Al-bukhaari, Muslim and others, and said peace be upon him: "whoever changes his religion, subsistence allowance. Narrated by Al-bukhaari and others.

To this evidence and other Muslims old & new penalty apostate and their audiences-including the four madhhabs and others-it's murder of Frank hadiths.

But judging the apostate is not only by the Islamic judiciary, implementation is not only by the Muslims, may not judge someone of apostasy or sentence only if the conditions and constraints removed, and if the terms and conditions being a guardian must be executed in any era or any Egypt after three days, the ask for penitence and to try to persuade him to return to Islam by the controversy, which is better and eliminate him from the peninsulaIt does not repent killed Khalil al-Maliki, "said mark in short: and asttib three days without hunger and thirst of the tap and not killed.

icehorse

Premium Member

I suspect we'll have a better and more peaceful world without religion in general.

mahasn ebn sawresho

paarsurrey,

[Yes this is called the Qur'an contradictions
Also called the burner and copied
For example, any fighting copied many verses of the Qur'anCENTER][/CENTER]

outhouse

Atheistically
I suspect we'll have a better and more peaceful world without religion in general.

religion is fine.

its belief in the supernatural and invisible beings and divinity that gets them into trouble.

Im more for stripping the horse pucky out, leaving the social and other positive aspects in.

Reduce anything that that contradicts with science and education.

icehorse

Premium Member
religion is fine.

its belief in the supernatural and invisible beings and divinity that gets them into trouble.

Im more for stripping the horse pucky out, leaving the social and other positive aspects in.

Reduce anything that that contradicts with science and education.

This could just be a matter of semantics - what you just defined sounds like spirituality to me. I'm all for spirituality.

outhouse

Atheistically
This could just be a matter of semantics - what you just defined sounds like spirituality to me. I'm all for spirituality.

I don't know about al that lol :D

But people getting together trying to make their life better through better morals and groups gathering together is fine. Group education is more what I would wish for

mahasn ebn sawresho

Any religion which teaches good
Religion must be respected
And any religion in which the teachings of evil
It doesn't deserve respect
Yes when the religion cause war
When the religion of evil
The best of humanity without religion
But when religion is calling for peace
When the religion calling for love
The religion must be respected

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in South Africa: [5]

Islam in South Africa is a minority religion, practiced by less than 1.5% of the total population, according to estimates.

History

Arrival of Indian Muslims

In 1800s there were two groups of Muslims that emigrated to South Africa from India. The first began with a wave of immigration by indentured labourers from South India in 1860s. These labourers were brought to South Africa by the British. 7-10% of these labourers were Muslim. The second group of immigrants were merchants or traders ("Passenger Indians") that arrived from North India and settled in Natal, the Transvaal and the Cape. The first mosque in Natal, Jumuah Musjid, was built in Grey Street in Durban in 1881. By 1911, 152,641 Indians had come to Natal.[8]

After apartheid

Since South Africa became a democracy in 1994, there has been a growing number of Muslim migrants from South Asia and North Africa; however, their numbers are fairly low.[citation needed] Most of the Muslims are urban dwellers and thus live in or near Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London, Kimberley, Pretoria orJohannesburg.[citation needed]

Islam in South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in South Africa.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey,

Quran is a book not a man; so I don't agree with your example.
Have you studied Quran from cover to cover?
I don't think you have.
Quranic verses are rational verses; they fit on the situation and occasion.

Regards

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Any religion which teaches good
Religion must be respected
And any religion in which the teachings of evil
It doesn't deserve respect
Yes when the religion cause war
When the religion of evil
The best of humanity without religion
But when religion is calling for peace
When the religion calling for love
The religion must be respected

And how to fight the evil.

Do you think the world were able to stop Hitler by the process of peace and love ?

Actually and in very few words, the message of Islam is a message of peace and war was only needed to fight the ones who wanted to stop the message of peace.

Fighting to convert people to Islam can never be true, but fighting to keep the message of Islam was the true thing.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
And how to fight the evil.

Do you think the world were able to stop Hitler by the process of peace and love ?

Actually and in very few words, the message of Islam is a message of peace and war was only needed to fight the ones who wanted to stop the message of peace.

Fighting to convert people to Islam can never be true, but fighting to keep the message of Islam was the true thing.

Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it" (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

That's part of the preamble to the Hamas charter/covenant by the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood,love and peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.