• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Let the beginning be from the beginning when Muhammad was at Mecca. How did the Meccans treat peaceful Muhammad and his peaceful followers?

Regards
A whole heck of a lot better than he eventually treated them. This is not a theological issue. It is about battles. I started with Muhammad's first abortive battle and then moved to the second. The Meccans did not launch a battle against him and the Meccan's are not relevant to the thread. This is just another in an infinite string of diversions. Is it possible to find a Muslim that will acknowledge all of Islamic history? I will accept all of Christian history and condemn it where appropriate. It ruins credibility to constantly dodge questions. I will and have accepted every fight in the OT and every act in the NT.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Sudan: [7]

Islam is the largest religion in Sudan, and Muslims have dominated national government institutions since independence in 1956. According to UNDP Sudan, the Muslim population is 97%,[1] including numerous Arab and non-Arab groups.

Ethnicity of the Muslim population in Sudan

Masalit, Daju and Berti

Of other peoples living in Darfur who spoke Nilo-Saharan languages and are Muslim, the most important were the Masalit, Daju, and Berti. All were primarily cultivators living in permanent villages, but they practiced animal husbandry in varying degrees.

The Masalit, living on the Sudan-Chad border, were the largest group. Historically under a minor sultanate, they were positioned between the two dominant sultanates of the area, Darfur and Wadai (in Chad). A part of the territory they occupied had been formerly controlled by the Fur, but the Masalit gradually encroached on it in the first half of the twentieth century in a series of local skirmishes carried out by villages on both sides, rather than the sultanates. In 1990-91 much of Darfur was in a state of anarchy, with many villages being attacked. There were many instances in which Masalit militias attacked Fur and other villages.

The Berti consisted of two groups. One lived northeast of Al Fashir; the other had migrated to East Darfur and West Kurdufanprovinces in the nineteenth century. The two Berti groups did not seem to share a sense of common identity and interest. Members of the western group, in addition to cultivating subsistence crops and practicing animal husbandry, gathered gum arabic for sale in local markets. The Berti language had largely given way to Arabic as a home language.

The term Daju was a linguistic designation that was applied to a number of groups scattered from western Kurdufan and southwestern Darfur states to eastern Chad. These groups called themselves by different names and exhibited no sense of common identity.

Islam in Sudan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Sudan.

Regards

outhouse

Atheistically

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Sudan: [7]

Islam is the largest religion in Sudan, and Muslims have dominated national government institutions since independence in 1956. According to UNDP Sudan, the Muslim population is 97%,[1] including numerous Arab and non-Arab groups.

Masalit, Daju and Berti

Of other peoples living in Darfur who spoke Nilo-Saharan languages and are Muslim, the most important were the Masalit, Daju, and Berti. All were primarily cultivators living in permanent villages, but they practiced animal husbandry in varying degrees.

The Masalit, living on the Sudan-Chad border, were the largest group. Historically under a minor sultanate, they were positioned between the two dominant sultanates of the area, Darfur and Wadai (in Chad). A part of the territory they occupied had been formerly controlled by the Fur, but the Masalit gradually encroached on it in the first half of the twentieth century in a series of local skirmishes carried out by villages on both sides, rather than the sultanates. In 1990-91 much of Darfur was in a state of anarchy, with many villages being attacked. There were many instances in which Masalit militias attacked Fur and other villages.

The Berti consisted of two groups. One lived northeast of Al Fashir; the other had migrated to East Darfur and West Kurdufanprovinces in the nineteenth century. The two Berti groups did not seem to share a sense of common identity and interest. Members of the western group, in addition to cultivating subsistence crops and practicing animal husbandry, gathered gum arabic for sale in local markets. The Berti language had largely given way to Arabic as a home language.

The term Daju was a linguistic designation that was applied to a number of groups scattered from western Kurdufan and southwestern Darfur states to eastern Chad. These groups called themselves by different names and exhibited no sense of common identity.

Regards

You quote mine pathetically. :slap:

what about this violence and sword use from your own link.

. Islam spread to Sudan from the north, after the Islamic conquest of Egypt.

Shad

Veteran Member
A whole heck of a lot better than he eventually treated them. This is not a theological issue. It is about battles. I started with Muhammad's first abortive battle and then moved to the second. The Meccans did not launch a battle against him and the Meccan's are not relevant to the thread. This is just another in an infinite string of diversions. Is it possible to find a Muslim that will acknowledge all of Islamic history? I will accept all of Christian history and condemn it where appropriate. It ruins credibility to constantly dodge questions. I will and have accepted every fight in the OT and every act in the NT.

Paar linked a source which shows there were forced conversions. He has refuted his own argument pages ago.

outhouse

Atheistically
Paar linked a source which shows there were forced conversions. He has refuted his own argument pages ago.

I bet we can go back and show holes in every link.

I think we have a minor child here without his parents permission.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Muhammad forgave them when he entered Mecca.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Sudan: [8]

West Africans

Living in Sudan in 1990 were nearly a million people of West African origin. Together, West Africans who have become Sudanese nationals and resident nonnationals from West Africa made up 6.5%[citation needed]of the Sudanese population. In the mid-1970s, West Africans had been estimated at more than 10% of the population[citation needed] of the northern provinces. Some were descendants of persons who had arrived five generations or more earlier; others were recent immigrants.

Some had come in self-imposed exile, unable to accommodate to the colonial power in their homeland. Others had been pilgrims to Mecca, settling either en route or on their return. Many came over decades in the course of the great dispersion of the nomadic Fulani; others arrived, particularly after World War II, as rural and urban laborers or to take up land as peasant cultivators.

Nearly 60%[citation needed] of people included in the West African category were said to be of Nigerian origin (locally called Borno after the Nigerian emirate that was their homeland). Given Hausa dominance in northern Nigeria and the widespread use of their language there and elsewhere, some non-Hausa might also be called Hausa and describe themselves as such.

But the Hausa themselves, particularly those long in Sudan, preferred to be called Takari. The Fulani, even more widely dispersed throughout West Africa, may have originated in states other than Nigeria. Typically, the term applied to the Fulani in Sudan was Fallata, but Sudanese also used that term for other West Africans.

The Fulani nomads were found in many parts of central Sudan from Darfur to the Blue Nile, and they occasionally competed with indigenous populations for pasturage. In Darfur groups of Fulani origin adapted in various ways to the presence of the Baqqara tribes. Some retained all aspects of their culture and language.

A few had become much like Baqqara in language and in other respects, although they tended to retain their own breeds of cattle and ways of handling them. Some of the Fulani groups in the eastern states were sedentary, descendants of sedentary Fulani of the ruling group in northern Nigeria.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Swaziland:

The nation of Swaziland is home to over 1 million people, of which approximately 10% are identified as Muslimsaccording to CIA, most of whom belong to Sunni branch.[1] Islam in Swaziland probably dates to the colonial period, when, as in Swaziland's much larger neighbor South Africa, many Muslims settled in the country from other countries under the dominion of the British Empire. The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community claims 250 members in the country.[2]

Islam in Swaziland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
paarsurrey -

Let's imagine we were discussing types of animals in the world. Let's say that I said "all animals are dogs". You might say, "that's not true, some animals are cats".

Now imagine that my response to you is "beagles are dogs". Do you think I've made a good argument?

Because your posts are basically the same thing. Over and over again you're basically saying "beagles are dogs". While the statement is true, it does NOT answer the bigger question.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
While the statement is true, it does NOT answer the bigger question.
What is more mind-numbing is that Parsurry is glorifying the expansions of largely Sunni Musims who have viciously attacked members of his sect, the Ahmadiyya's, since their inception. Isn't it strange that such a peaceful group of people would be so vicious and intolerant to this new sect? If we are to believe that Parsurrey's endless posts glorifying the spread of Islam then why has his own group been so widely attacked by those same peace-loving folks?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Quran does not mention commandments only; Quran gives wisdom of the same and also provides reasonable and rational arguments. So Islam does not need any sword for its spread.
Islam spreads most in peace time.

Regards

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Quran does not mention commandments only; Quran gives wisdom of the same and also provides reasonable and rational arguments. So Islam does not need any sword for its spread.
Islam spreads most in peace time.

Regards
Unless, of course, the peaceful Sunni Muslims comes across an Ahmadiyya Muslim, then the fur begins to fly as the righteous Muslim begins to pummel the heretic.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
What is more mind-numbing is that Parsurry is glorifying the expansions of largely Sunni Musims who have viciously attacked members of his sect, the Ahmadiyya's, since their inception. Isn't it strange that such a peaceful group of people would be so vicious and intolerant to this new sect? If we are to believe that Parsurrey's endless posts glorifying the spread of Islam then why has his own group been so widely attacked by those same peace-loving folks?

Do you think fighting by different opinions or the on going argument and debate between different sections or different religions is an expansion by force or sword ?

If there is few groups between those sections that making troubles such as Muslims and Hindus or others then that doesn't represent what Islam is.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I never said that every Muslim is a perfect human being.

Muhammad had told very clearly that Muslims will get divided into many sects (as many as 73); and would not abide by the teachings of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

That would be the time when Messiah (Second Coming) would descend and lead them to the true teachings of Quran/Islam/Muhammad, peacefully.

This is what exactly has happened.

Ahmadis follow Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908, the Promised Messiah so as other Prophets faced opposition we are also facing the same phenomenon.

Ahmadis don't respond Sunnis in the same coin.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.