• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Togo:

Muslims in Togo represent between 12 and 20% of the national population. Islamcame to Togo about the same time as it did much of West Africa. The vast majority of Muslims in Togo are Sunni of Maliki school of jurisprudence.[1]

History[edit]

Islam was first introduced into West Africa south of the Sahara, across the salt and gold trade routes. Islamicized Berber and Tuareg merchants traveled the trans-Saharan trade routes. As time passed, Muslim clerics and scholars — teaching their beliefs and setting up places of worship along the routes — accompanied traders on their journeys. The Hausa and the Fulani, a traditionally nomadic group, traveled all over West Africa, taking their Muslim beliefs to places such as present-day Guinea, Sierra Leone, andLiberia.

Demographics[edit]

Estimates on the number of Muslims in Togo vary depending on the source. The CIA World Factbook puts the figure is 20%. A survey by the Pew Research Center gives an estimate of 12.2% of the population or 809,000 individuals as of 2009.[2]

Islam in Togo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Togo.

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No he did not. He was given soldier by Medina's warlords to settle tribal disputes among them. Instead he marched them back to Mecca and perpetuated bloody revenge against those that had insulted him. He raided their caravans, killed poets simply for writing unflatteringly about him, a time or two a companion of his would kill someone without having any instructions to do so, when Muhammad heard he said Allah rejoiced over it. This is what blood thirsty tyrants do with thin skin. Revenge is all too human and Christ never resorted to it.

Ask these guys where the forgiveness was: (1) Ikrimah Ibn Abi Jahl, (2) Habbar Ibn al-Aswad, (3) Abd Allah Ibn Sa'd Ibn Abi Sarh, (4) Miqyas Ibn Sababah al-Laythi, (5) al-Huwayrith Ibn Nuqaydh, (6) Abd Abbah Ibn Hilal Ibn Khatal al-Adrami, (7) Hind Bint Utbah, (8) Sarah, the mawlat (enfranchised girl) of Amr Ibn Hashim, (9) Fartana and (10) Qaribah.

These were killed for either leaving Islam or speaking negatively about the prophet. How many were killed by Christ for any reason?

You not need to march 10,000 of your bloodiest caravan raiders to a city to forgive it and embrace it. You do only to subdue it. Khalid's column did anything but forgive. Why did a huge portion of Mecca's citizens flee for their lives and live in the hills as hermits? There are no mass Exoduses away from forgiveness. There is no debate whether he took vengeance on Mecca, only to what extent he did.

Habbar ibn al-Aswad

Habir ibn al-Aswad was another vicious enemy of Muhammad and Islam. He inflicted a serious injury to Zainab, daughter of the Noble Prophet when she decided to migrate to Medina. She was pregnant when she started her migration, and the polytheists of Mecca tried to stop her from leaving. This particular man, Habbar bin al-Aswad, physically assaulted her and intentionally caused her to fall down from her camel. Her fall had caused her to miscarry her baby, and she herself, was badly hurt. Later on when he decided to come to Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, our merciful and forgiving Prophet magnanimously forgave him.

Miscellaneous Issues--Rights of Non Muslims in Islam

Regards

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Habbar ibn al-Aswad

Habir ibn al-Aswad was another vicious enemy of Muhammad and Islam. He inflicted a serious injury to Zainab, daughter of the Noble Prophet when she decided to migrate to Medina. She was pregnant when she started her migration, and the polytheists of Mecca tried to stop her from leaving. This particular man, Habbar bin al-Aswad, physically assaulted her and intentionally caused her to fall down from her camel. Her fall had caused her to miscarry her baby, and she herself, was badly hurt. Later on when he decided to come to Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, our merciful and forgiving Prophet magnanimously forgave him.

Miscellaneous Issues--Rights of Non Muslims in Islam

Regards
It appears there is no way what so ever I am going to get you to deal with the original issue which was Muhammad's battles. I skipped all the violence in Mecca because it is hard to pick through the myriad of details about who did what to who, to get at the truth. You brought up Mecca in a reply to a post about Muhammad's battles and will not leave it to get back to the original issue. And your not even dealing with 90% of the issue you brought up. Why is that? I call execution sentences, the lack of due process, no trials, no appeals, etc...... against people who had never killed any of his men the work of a typically vengeful man but that was never the subject. His actual battles were. They are far more clear and more information exists about them. Is there any hope we can get back to what began the conversation?

outhouse

Atheistically

Yes it was.

Why are you a hypocrite?

You use wiki when you feel like it.

And denounce it when it does not agree with you? with no real explanation

That makes you factually hypocritical.

Are you old enough to be online without parental supervision?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It appears there is no way what so ever I am going to get you to deal with the original issue which was Muhammad's battles. I skipped all the violence in Mecca because it is hard to pick through the myriad of details about who did what to who, to get at the truth. You brought up Mecca in a reply to a post about Muhammad's battles and will not leave it to get back to the original issue. And your not even dealing with 90% of the issue you brought up. Why is that? I call execution sentences, the lack of due process, no trials, no appeals, etc...... against people who had never killed any of his men the work of a typically vengeful man but that was never the subject. His actual battles were. They are far more clear and more information exists about them. Is there any hope we can get back to what began the conversation?

1robin mentioned it vide post #1238; this has to be clarified.
The main issue is being dealt separately.

When Muhammad entered Mecca he took no revenge from the people who persecuted him and his followers.

The Meccans killed his followers burnt their houses and forced them to take refuge by migrating to Abyssinia.

Regards

1robin

Christian/Baptist
1robin mentioned it vide post #1238; this has to be clarified.
The main issue is being dealt separately.
I mentioned Muhammad's wars. Someone responded back about Mecca for no apparent reason to that post. Post 1238 was a response to the post that ignored the topic I had originated. The original topic has been ignored and this diversion obsessed on instead.

When Muhammad entered Mecca he took no revenge from the people who persecuted him and his followers.

The Meccans killed his followers burnt their houses and forced them to take refuge by migrating to Abyssinia.

Regards
I can point out days when Hitler did not kill anyone or was lenient towards a group but that will never make him a good man. If the proposition is that man X did Y. You look at instances where Y occurred. You do not ignore them and instead concentrate on instances where Y occurred less often or is shrouded in opinion.

Now I am going back to where this discussion started. Muhammad's first two battles. If you will join me back where we should have remained then we can continue. If your going to ignore what I bring up and hide in the ambiguity of other events then you will have to do so alone.

The issue is Badr and the abortive battle that occurred before it. Do you have a reply?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I mentioned Muhammad's wars. Someone responded back about Mecca for no apparent reason to that post. Post 1238 was a response to the post that ignored the topic I had originated. The original topic has been ignored and this diversion obsessed on instead.

I can point out days when Hitler did not kill anyone or was lenient towards a group but that will never make him a good man. If the proposition is that man X did Y. You look at instances where Y occurred. You do not ignore them and instead concentrate on instances where Y occurred less often or is shrouded in opinion.

Now I am going back to where this discussion started. Muhammad's first two battles. If you will join me back where we should have remained then we can continue. If your going to ignore what I bring up and hide in the ambiguity of other events then you will have to do so alone.

The issue is Badr and the abortive battle that occurred before it. Do you have a reply?

I don't agree with you.

Please see post #1238 again. It clearly quoted me not from somebody else:

Originally Posted by paarsurrey
Muhammad forgave them when he entered Mecca.

Regards

1robin posted:No he did not.

1robin further added:

Ask these guys where the forgiveness was: (1) Ikrimah Ibn Abi Jahl, (2) Habbar Ibn al-Aswad, (3) Abd Allah Ibn Sa'd Ibn Abi Sarh, (4) Miqyas Ibn Sababah al-Laythi, (5) al-Huwayrith Ibn Nuqaydh, (6) Abd Abbah Ibn Hilal Ibn Khatal al-Adrami, (7) Hind Bint Utbah, (8) Sarah, the mawlat (enfranchised girl) of Amr Ibn Hashim, (9) Fartana and (10) Qaribah.

These were killed for either leaving Islam or speaking negatively about the prophet. How many were killed by Christ for any reason?

It is my option to respond to these points as long as these exist there.

Regards

Hi everyone. Some people say that Islam was spread by the sword. Others say that it was not. The Koran says that there is to be no compulsion in religion so it would seem that Islam's sacred text would condone religious freedom. But was this really the case historically? Here is the reference from the Koran which I am referring to.

Hi,

I'm not a member of any religion but if I'm not mistaken, in the time of Muhammad of Arabia people were already visiting Mecca from all over the earth. If Muhammad (and his religion) conquered Mecca then maybe his religion spread by people believing in the sacredness of Mecca.

Peace.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi,

I'm not a member of any religion but if I'm not mistaken, in the time of Muhammad of Arabia people were already visiting Mecca from all over the earth. If Muhammad (and his religion) conquered Mecca then maybe his religion spread by people believing in the sacredness of Mecca.

Peace.
Arabia people were already visiting Mecca from all over the earth

Please quote from some reliable source in this connection.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Tunisia: [1]

Islam is the official state religion in Tunisia. Approximately 98 percent of the population of Tunisia is nominally Muslim.

Most of them are Sunni belonging to the Malikite madhhab, but a small number of Ibadhi Muslims(Kharijites) still exist among the Berber-speakers of Jerba Island. There is no reliable data on the number of practicing Muslims. There is a small indigenous Sufi Muslim community; however, there are no statistics regarding its size. Reliable sources report that many Sufis left the country shortly after independence when their religious buildings and land reverted to the Government (as did those of Orthodox Islamic foundations).

Although the Sufi community is small, its tradition of mysticism permeates the practice of Islam throughout the country. During annual Ramadan festivals, Sufis provide public cultural entertainment by performing religious dances. The Constitution declares Islam the official state religion and stipulates that the President must be a Muslim.

The government controls and subsidizes mosques and pays the salaries of prayer leaders. The President appoints the Grand Mufti of the Republic. The 1988 Law on Mosques provides that only personnel appointed by the Government may lead activities in mosques and stipulates that mosques must remain closed except during prayer times and other authorized religious ceremonies, such as marriages or funerals.

Police stations will often be found near mosques.[1]. Some people maybe interrogated just for associating or being seen in the street with practising Muslims. New mosques may be built in accordance with national urban planning regulations; however, upon completion, they become the property of the Government. The Government also partially subsidizes the Jewish community.

Islam in Tunisia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Islam in Tunisia.

Regards

Last edited:

Regards

Peace,

You made a mistake in your highlighting...but I did find a link the internet. I can't post links yet because I'm still new to the forum but the link is at www dot topix dot com slash forum slash world slash denmark slash T7VDPGQA5DU2CP4R1. That link says:

"...Before Islam, people from all over the Arabian Peninsula and beyond visited Mecca on an annual pilgrimage. But this was not for any monotheistic reasons. People visited Mecca to celebrate,
make merry, commit several immoral acts, and worship the hundreds of gods inside the Kaaba..."

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

Regards

Why are you a hypocrite?

Why do you give good muslims a bad name?

Why cant you answer questions honestly?

You use wiki when you feel like it.

And denounce it when it does not agree with you?

That makes you factually hypocritical.

Are you old enough to be online without parental supervision?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Islam in Tunisia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Islam in Tunisia.

Regards
I'll up you with another Wiki page that isn't quite so glowing.

History of early Islamic Tunisia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That article is more germane to the topic than your trivial attempts to gloss over the past by focusing on the time since Tunisia became an independent country, which was long after Muslims had taken over control of the area.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'll up you with another Wiki page that isn't quite so glowing.

History of early Islamic Tunisia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That article is more germane to the topic than your trivial attempts to gloss over the past by focusing on the time since Tunisia became an independent country, which was long after Muslims had taken over control of the area.

I quoted from the Wikipedia verbatim and gave the reference. It was part one [1] of the article as mentioned by me; part [2] was to be given next but I quote it below for convenience of my friends:

Islam in Tunisia[2]

"The following religious holidays are considered national holidays: Eid al-Adha, Eid al-Fitr, Ras Al-Am El-Hejri, and Mawlid. The Government also recognizes the sanctity of non-Muslim religious holidays.

The Mosquée Ennasrmosque in Ariana has a futurist architecture
Islamic religious education is mandatory in public schools, but the religious curriculum for secondary school students also includes the history of Judaism and Christianity. The Zeitouna Koranic School is part of the Government's national university system.

Generally, Shari'a-based interpretation of civil law is applied only in some family cases. Some families avoid the effects of Shari'a on inheritance by executing sales contracts between parents and children to ensure that sons and daughters receive equal shares of property.

According to the State Department's 2004 International Religious Freedom Report, referenced below, there were some reports that the Government did not allow married, interfaith couples to register the birth of their children. In these cases, couples were denied birth certificates if the mother was Christian and the father was Muslim and the parents tried to give their children non-Arabic names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Tunisia

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Peace,

You made a mistake in your highlighting...but I did find a link the internet. I can't post links yet because I'm still new to the forum but the link is at www dot topix dot com slash forum slash world slash denmark slash T7VDPGQA5DU2CP4R1. That link says:

"...Before Islam, people from all over the Arabian Peninsula and beyond visited Mecca on an annual pilgrimage. But this was not for any monotheistic reasons. People visited Mecca to celebrate,
make merry, commit several immoral acts, and worship the hundreds of gods inside the Kaaba..."

It is not from an encyclopedia or from the truthful Scripture or from a history text book; it is just an opinion from somebody in Muscat, Oman.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
For the convenience of my friends I have given part two of the article on Islam in Tunisia.

Now the article is complete.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.