• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Hong Kong: [1]

Islam is practised in Hong Kong by about 250,000 Muslims.[1] About 20,000[2] of the Muslim families in Hong Kong are 'local boy' families, Muslims of mixed Chinese and South Asian ancestry descended from early Muslim South Asian immigrants who took local Chinese wives and brought their children up as Muslims.[3][4]

Hui Muslims from Mainland China also played a role in the development of Islam in Hong Kong, such as Kasim Tuet from Guangzhou, one of the pioneers of Muslim education in the city, for who the Islamic Kasim Tuet Memorial College is named.[5] In the new millennium, the largest number of Muslims in the territory are Indonesian, in which most of them are female foreign domestic workers. They account for over 120,000 of Hong Kong's Muslim population.[6]

History[edit]

The history of Muslims in Hong Kong started since the British Hong Kong government period. The first Muslim settlers in Hong Kong were of Indian origin, in which some of them were soldiers. From the mid 19th century onwards, more and more soldiers and businessmen arrived in Hong Kong from South Asia and Mainland China.

As the number of them increased, the British Hong Kong government allocated land for them to build their communities and facilities, such as mosques and cemeteries. The British government respected the rights of those Muslim communities by giving them aids.[7][8]
Contemporary Islam in Hong Kong[edit]

Food[edit]

Over the past few years, there has been an increasing number of Halal restaurants to cater for Muslim dietary needs, as well as supermarkets selling more and more Halal products. In 2010, there were only 14 Halal restaurants, but after a year the number had jumped three times.[9]

Finance[edit]

There has been a plan by HSBC to implement the Islamic finance system in Hong Kong, although the realisation has yet to be waited. In 2007, the HK Islamic Index was established by Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Hong Kong to support Hong Kong's ambitions to develop into an Islamic financial centre.

Education[edit]

Until January 2010, Hong Kong has 29 Islamic schools, scattered around Kowloon and New Territories. The development of those schools have been remarkably fast.[10]

Some of the Islamic educational institutes:

• Hong Kong Institute of Islamic Studies
• Islamic Kasim Tuet Memorial College

Islam in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Hong Kong.

Regards

... and the trolling [and spamming] continues---unchecked. :clap

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I asked: Who is speaking for Islam when it comes to the Hindu genocide?

paarsurrey said: Quran/Islam/Muhammad

I assume from earlier posts that paarsurrey is saying more or less "this genocide was not in the spirit of Islam". paarsurrey correct me if I'm wrong?

Now I'm not a fan of Christianity or Islam. From what I've heard, in the last 1400 years, BOTH religions have between 250 and 300 MILLIONS deaths on their hands... EACH!

But this thread is about Islam.

To me the evidence is very clear. Over the last 1400 years, time and time again, many Muslims, across many cultures have decided that Islam means conquest. It's not surprising that this is a common conclusion. The Quran says it many times and Muhammad led a life of conquest.

When we talk to individual Muslims they say that Islam is peaceful and that folks like ISIS are doing it wrong.

But ISIS and Boko Haram and so on are just the latest groups of Muslims who have decided that Islam means conquest.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
When we talk to individual Muslims they say that Islam is peaceful and that folks like ISIS are doing it wrong.

Make no mistake about it, Icehorse, anyone that arbitrarily dictates IS not being Muslim (or Islamic for that matter) is engaging in just that: arbitrary rigorism. Not only is it intellectual dishonesty, but it's also blind idealism---the very blind idealism that often characterizes the rise of myriad religio-fundamentalist groups (i.e., we have the true faith; they don't; we are the true members; they aren't).

MD

qualiaphile
I think the Hindus should be more vocal about the genocides they faced. Their silence is puzzling. Millions of Hindus were killed in a genocide by the Pakistani army during the Bangladesh war of independence, that is something which happened only 40 years ago.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I think the Hindus should be more vocal about the genocides they faced. Their silence is puzzling. Millions of Hindus were killed in a genocide by the Pakistani army during the Bangladesh war of independence, that is something which happened only 40 years ago.

Will Durant's quote sums it up perfectly:

"The Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex of order and freedom, culture and peace, can at any moment be overthrown by barbarians invading from without or multiplying within."​

And the silence of so many Hindus regarding the numerous genocides countless Hindus of the past faced under Islamic outward-rigorism can easily be explained by "negationism":

Various political and academic institutions and platforms either vigorously reject the whole thing as a myth, that it was instead peaceful---as Paarsurrey suggests---filled with unicorns and rainbows; or they file any criticisms they face never to address them again fully or logically under an already inflated file known as "Hindu fanaticism", a file that is often filled with valid criticisms---criticisms that members of these platforms do not wish to expound upon just in order to continue their facade of pseudo-secularism.​

Regarding 1971, that is a perfect example of fear of the Other---though obviously coupled with various other factors:
West Pakistan's brutal crackdown of the Bangladeshi intelligentsia (a majority of whom were Hindus) and their subsequent eradication (and this very eradication put Bangladesh back another 50-60 years in terms of development) of those groups due to perceiving them as rogue elements (a bs of an excuse, if you ask me) as well as anti-Islamic elements (which was the real crux of the matter; it was basically West Pakistan's way of "self-purifying" itself through a genocidal purge of its own [Hindu] citizenry). This was the very Pakistani army that, in the name of a purer strain of Islam, forcefully kept hundreds, if not thousands, of Bangladeshi females, many of them Hindu and most of them targeted specifically because they were Hindu, against their will in sieged college dormitories just so the West Pakistan army could repeatedly gang-rape them; the very army that had profusely utilized a scorched-earth policy, "cleaning out" hundreds of [mostly Hindu] Bangladeshi villages to "cleanse", so to speak, East Pakistan of anti-Islamic elements that the paranoid West Pakistan government, increasingly influenced by militant Islam, saw as an important national security concern. Heck, just read Bass' The Blood Telegram for more info; all of the details are in there---especially about how the Nixon administration was indirectly complicit in such a genocide. 1971 was not only characterized by religious zealotry, but also by political strife and ruthless socio-economic suppression.​

Last edited:

Al-Fatihah

Muslim
Hi everyone. Some people say that Islam was spread by the sword. Others say that it was not. The Koran says that there is to be no compulsion in religion so it would seem that Islam's sacred text would condone religious freedom. But was this really the case historically? Here is the reference from the Koran which I am referring to.

Response: One of the miracles of the Qur'an is the very question being asked. Rather than quoting sources to support whether Islam was spread by the sword or not, one can find out the truth by doing it yourself. In other words, neither you nor anyone one person can out wrestle just 5 people by force without being subdued. That alone dismantles the idea that one man conquered a nation by force. So when one ask was Islam spread by the sword, the answer is clear that the sword was involved. However, not by force.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I asked: Who is speaking for Islam when it comes to the Hindu genocide?

paarsurrey said: Quran/Islam/Muhammad

I assume from earlier posts that paarsurrey is saying more or less "this genocide was not in the spirit of Islam". paarsurrey correct me if I'm wrong?

Now I'm not a fan of Christianity or Islam. From what I've heard, in the last 1400 years, BOTH religions have between 250 and 300 MILLIONS deaths on their hands... EACH!

But this thread is about Islam.

To me the evidence is very clear. Over the last 1400 years, time and time again, many Muslims, across many cultures have decided that Islam means conquest. It's not surprising that this is a common conclusion. The Quran says it many times and Muhammad led a life of conquest.

But ISIS and Boko Haram and so on are just the latest groups of Muslims who have decided that Islam means conquest.

They just doing politics, they are not representative of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Make no mistake about it, Icehorse, anyone that arbitrarily dictates IS not being Muslim (or Islamic for that matter) is engaging in just that: arbitrary rigorism. Not only is it intellectual dishonesty, but it's also blind idealism---the very blind idealism that often characterizes the rise of myriad religio-fundamentalist groups (i.e., we have the true faith; they don't; we are the true members; they aren't).

I don't agree with you.

Regards

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I don't agree with you.

... and I understand that grasping reality isn't your strong suit.
icon14.gif

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Pakistani army

What Quran/Islam/Muhammad has to do with the doings of the Pakistan? They simply are not representative of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Hong Kong: [2]

Islam is practised in Hong Kong by about 250,000 Muslims.[1] About 20,000[2] of the Muslim families in Hong Kong are 'local boy' families, Muslims of mixed Chinese and South Asian ancestry descended from early Muslim South Asian immigrants who took local Chinese wives and brought their children up as Muslims.[3][4]

History[edit]

Mosques[edit]
Main article: List of mosques in Hong Kong

There are currently six principal mosques in Hong Kong that are used daily for prayers. Hong Kong's 7th mosque, theSheung Shui Mosque is currently under construction in New Territories.[7] Beside mosques, there are many Muslim prayer halls scattered around Hong Kong.

Jamia Mosque[edit]
The oldest is the Jamia Mosque on Hong Kong Island, which was built in the 1840s and rebuilt in 1915. The first Imam was Al Haaj Abul Habib Syed Mohammed Noor Shah, from 1914 to 1946.

Kowloon Mosque[edit]

The Kowloon Mosque in Nathan Road, opened in 1984, can accommodate about 3,500 worshipers. It is the largest mosque in Hong Kong.

Ammar Mosque[edit]

The Ammar Mosque at Oi Kwan Road in Wan Chai was opened in September 1981 and can accommodate a congregation of 700 to 1,500 people, depending on the requirements.

Chai Wan Mosque[edit]

Chai Wan Mosque is located at the Cape Collinson Muslim Cemetery.

Stanley Mosque[edit]

Stanley Mosque is located in the Stanley Prison.

Ibrahim Mosque[edit]

Ibrahim Mosque is located in the Yau Ma Tei was opened in November 2013

Organisations[edit]

Incorporated Trustees of the Islamic Community Fund of Hong Kong[edit]
The Incorporated Trustees of the Islamic Community Fund of Hong Kong (Chinese: 香港回教信託基金總會) co-ordinates religious affairs and manages mosques and Muslim cemeteries in Hong Kong. The constituent bodies of the trustees are the Islamic Union of Hong Kong, the Pakistan Association of Hong Kong, the Indian Muslim Association of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Dawoodi Bohra Association. Charitable work among the Muslim community, including financial aid to the needy, medical care, educational assistance, the provision of an Islamic kindergarten and assistance for the aged, is conducted through various Muslim organisations in Hong Kong. The organisation is based at the Ammar Mosque.

Islam in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Hong Kong.

Regards

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I am not happy that western killed western or muslims killed muslims , i ma just compared between the two history , to tell that the western history is worst if we count .

if i post a fact of history (not lie)about the west,I become automaticaly anti-Westerns ?

If I said the west killed more what difference would it make,ww1&2 were not about religious expansion.

outhouse

Atheistically
If I said the west killed more what difference would it make,ww1&2 were not about religious expansion.

Not only that the USA was jumping in saving millions of lives, due to the axis of evil committing genocide.

Pretty much can stand proud after those two.

maybe he could dig up the Indian wars if he wanted to try and embarrass us. But that does not negate the evil islam is doing in this modern age at all.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Not only that the USA was jumping in saving millions of lives, due to the axis of evil committing genocide.

Pretty much can stand proud after those two.

maybe he could dig up the Indian wars if he wanted to try and embarrass us. But that does not negate the evil islam is doing in this modern age at all.[/QUOTE

It doesn't negate at all what the two proselytising religions are doing IMO.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Lol. It was spread by the uneducated to the uneducated. Now, we have retards who have yet to be blown up.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

Well, I know plenty of educated and awesome muslims who im constantly around, who pray like 5-6-7 times a day in the backroom, who laugh at their extremists and half the muslim world. They laugh constantly. They aren't laughing at the unfortunate or educated, son! Who they laughing at?

They were taught one way or another, but they turned out the same. Wonder why.

IK i deviated. Forgive me =(

MD

qualiaphile
What Quran/Islam/Muhammad has to do with the doings of the Pakistan? They simply are not representative of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

So you're saying that the fact that the vast majority of the millions killed and raped by the Pakistani army were Hindu had nothing to do with Islam?

Are you that blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.