• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Burma: [11]

Islam is a minority religion in Burma,[1] practiced by 4% of the population, according to the Myanmar official statistics.[2]

History[edit]

Anti-Muslim riots in Rakhine (2012)[edit]

In June 2012, violence erupted in western Burma’s Arakan State between ethnic Rakhine (Arakan) and Rohingya. The violence broke out after reports circulated that on May 28 an Arakan woman was raped and killed in the town of Ramri allegedly by three Rohingya men.[139] Details of the crime were circulated locally in an incendiary pamphlet, and on June 3, a group of Arakan villagers in Toungop stopped a bus and killed 10 Muslims on board.[140]

On June 8, thousands of Rohingya rioted in Maungdaw town after Friday prayers by leading Islamic leaders, destroying property and killing Arakan (Rakhine) residents. Sectarian violence then quickly swept through the Arakan State capital, Sittwe, and surrounding areas.[141][142][143]

On June 9, mobs from both communities soon stormed unsuspecting villages and neighborhoods, killing residents and destroying homes, shops, and houses of worship. With little to no government security present to stop the violence, people armed themselves with swords, spears, sticks, iron rods, knives, and other basic weapons, taking the law into their own hands.

In the first week of June, based on these two incidents, riots broke out in Rakhine States where rioters torched and destroyed houses, shops and guest houses and committed killings. Only 77 persons – 31 Rakhine nationals and 46 Rohingyas – lost lives in the incidents. The injured from both sides accounted for around 100. A total of 4,800 houses were burnt out by both sides in anger.
As of 24 July, the Rakkhine State Government estimated that there are over 61,000 people accommodated in 58 camps in Maundaw and Sittwe townships. 77 people died - 31 Rakhine nationals and 46 illegal Bengalis (recently called themselves as Rohingyas) and 109 injured from both sides, and 4822 houses, 17 mosques, 15 monasteries and 3 schools were burned and destroyed.[144][145][146][147]

In November, the International Network of Engaged Buddhists released a statement calling for the conflict to be resolved and stating that more than 75,000 people had been displaced and impoverished.[148]

Agents provocateur[edit]

While the idea of monks actually leading rioters may seem unusual, certain details make it less so. Burma's large and much feared military intelligence service, the Directorate of Defense Security Intelligence, is commonly believed to have agents working within the monk-hood. Human Rights Watch also reported that monks in the 2001 riots were carrying mobile phones, a luxury not readily available to the Burmese population, as very few without government connections can afford them.

It is also reported that there was a clear split between monks who provoked violence and those who did not. It has been suggested by Human Rights Watch and others that these facts may reflect the presence of agents provocateur among the monks. [149]

Mandalay riots (2014)[edit]

Buddhists and Muslims clashed for three days in Mandalay in early 29 May 2010, after a tea shop owned by a Muslim man accused of raping a Buddhist woman was attacked by a mob. Organized gangs of several hundred people armed with knives, rods and firearms were reportedly involved in the subsequent violence, which resulted in a curfew being imposed across the city. Two people, a Buddhist and a Muslim were killed in the attacks, and 14 were injured.[150]

Islam in Burma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Burma.

Regards

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
paarsurrey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehorse
Hi Scimitar,

Would you agree that the OP has to do with whether Islam was "often" spread by the sword. And that the OP was NOT about whether Islam was "always" spread by the sword?

If so, then providing instances of Islam being peaceful is a distraction from the discussion.

Also, I didn't read through every detail in your post, but I will say that the history I'm aware of strongly disagrees with your post, at least when it comes to India and Spain. Are you claiming that 80 million Hindus were not killed by Muslims as Islam spread into the Pakistan - India region?

Which biased person wrote that? Please
Regards

==

paarsurrey - I can't tell. Do you agree that 80 million Hindus were killed by Muslims as Muslims conquered the Pakistan - India region over the course of hundreds of year?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehorse
Hi Scimitar,

Would you agree that the OP has to do with whether Islam was "often" spread by the sword. And that the OP was NOT about whether Islam was "always" spread by the sword?

If so, then providing instances of Islam being peaceful is a distraction from the discussion.

Also, I didn't read through every detail in your post, but I will say that the history I'm aware of strongly disagrees with your post, at least when it comes to India and Spain. Are you claiming that 80 million Hindus were not killed by Muslims as Islam spread into the Pakistan - India region?

Which biased person wrote that? Please
Regards

==

paarsurrey - I can't tell.
Do you agree that 80 million Hindus were killed by Muslims as Muslims conquered the Pakistan - India region over the course of hundreds of year?

I don't think it happened unilaterally.
Nonetheless, it has nothing to do with Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

icehorse

Premium Member
When asked about the genocidal, long running slaughter of Hindus by Islamic conquerers, paarsurrey said:

I don't think it happened unilaterally.
Nonetheless, it has nothing to do with Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

This seems to me to be revisionist history on a massive, inhumane scale. Here are just a few of many discussions on this topic:

The biggest holocaust in World History...whitewashed from history | National News | British National Party

Muslim conquests on the Indian subcontinent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has EVERYTHING to do with Islam and Muhammad's messages.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
All of this was the politics of the days done be the emperors and rulers, it has got nothing to do with Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

outhouse

Atheistically
All of this was the politics of the days done be the emperors and rulers, it has got nothing to do with Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Regards

Not what it says at all.

Islam spread across large parts of the subcontinent. In 1204, Bakhtiar Khilji led the Muslim conquest of Bengal, marking the eastern-most expansion of Islam at the time.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I guess it was the international Islamic Holy day of asking a question and ignoring the answer for post 1500. Pity, I thought that one was pretty down the middle and explanatory.

There is no question in post 1500.

You only fabricated silly excuses for killing the innocent Japanese in their homes.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Not what it says at all.

Islam spread across large parts of the subcontinent. In 1204, Bakhtiar Khilji led the Muslim conquest of Bengal, marking the eastern-most expansion of Islam at the time.
Bakhtiar Khilji

He was not a representative of Quran/Islam/Muhammad. they never authorized him to do this for converting people to Islam.

Regards

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There is no question in post 1500.

You only fabricated silly excuses for killing the innocent Japanese in their homes.
Yes there was and you asked it. Your calling the historical and almost universally granted facts of WW2 excuses makes me wish you had remained silent.

Test any or all of them. They are all perfect historical truths. Of course they are not convenient for you, but to most of us even inconvenient truths are true.

icehorse

Premium Member
He was not a representative of Quran/Islam/Muhammad. they never authorized him to do this for converting people to Islam.

Regards

:facepalm:

Who is the "they" you're talking about? The world wants to know "who speaks for Islam". Now you're saying that there is a "they", who apparently speak for Islam and did not approve of the Hindu genocide that went on for hundreds of years.

Who are "they" ???

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Yes there was and you asked it. Your calling the historical and almost universally granted facts of WW2 excuses makes me wish you had remained silent.

Test any or all of them. They are all perfect historical truths. Of course they are not convenient for you, but to most of us even inconvenient truths are true.

Now lets assume that the ISIS were able to attack NY with nuke and killed hundreds of thousands.

Do you think that can be a good amd a moral excuse to stop the American intervention in the ME ?

I think making excuses to kill innocents such as the one in Hiroshima is indeed disgusting and immoral approach.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Please educate yourself about the Plans of the Japanese Government in case of an Invasion of Mainland Japan.

Thanks

What about you educate and tell us about the plans of the Japanese government in case of an Invasion of Mainland Japan and how is that related to bombing Hiroshima with nuke.

Shad

Veteran Member
Operation Ketsugo was a plan of attrition. Civilian and military suicide attacks in conjunction with conventional actions. Looking at the Island Hopping Campaign the Japanese civilians showed a resolve similar to that of their military in fighting to the death. Japan had a potential combat population of 28 million. Any invasion would have resulted in operational loses as seen in Russia. The civilian, combatant and non-combatant, death toll would have been similar to those in China and Russia. It was a statistical analysis and bluffing to scare the Japanese into surrender and it worked.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Hong Kong: [1]

Islam is practised in Hong Kong by about 250,000 Muslims.[1] About 20,000[2] of the Muslim families in Hong Kong are 'local boy' families, Muslims of mixed Chinese and South Asian ancestry descended from early Muslim South Asian immigrants who took local Chinese wives and brought their children up as Muslims.[3][4]

Hui Muslims from Mainland China also played a role in the development of Islam in Hong Kong, such as Kasim Tuet from Guangzhou, one of the pioneers of Muslim education in the city, for who the Islamic Kasim Tuet Memorial College is named.[5] In the new millennium, the largest number of Muslims in the territory are Indonesian, in which most of them are female foreign domestic workers. They account for over 120,000 of Hong Kong's Muslim population.[6]

History[edit]

The history of Muslims in Hong Kong started since the British Hong Kong government period. The first Muslim settlers in Hong Kong were of Indian origin, in which some of them were soldiers. From the mid 19th century onwards, more and more soldiers and businessmen arrived in Hong Kong from South Asia and Mainland China.

As the number of them increased, the British Hong Kong government allocated land for them to build their communities and facilities, such as mosques and cemeteries. The British government respected the rights of those Muslim communities by giving them aids.[7][8]
Contemporary Islam in Hong Kong[edit]

Food[edit]

Over the past few years, there has been an increasing number of Halal restaurants to cater for Muslim dietary needs, as well as supermarkets selling more and more Halal products. In 2010, there were only 14 Halal restaurants, but after a year the number had jumped three times.[9]

Finance[edit]

There has been a plan by HSBC to implement the Islamic finance system in Hong Kong, although the realisation has yet to be waited. In 2007, the HK Islamic Index was established by Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Hong Kong to support Hong Kong's ambitions to develop into an Islamic financial centre.

Education[edit]

Until January 2010, Hong Kong has 29 Islamic schools, scattered around Kowloon and New Territories. The development of those schools have been remarkably fast.[10]

Some of the Islamic educational institutes:

• Hong Kong Institute of Islamic Studies
• Islamic Kasim Tuet Memorial College

Islam in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Hong Kong.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

Who is the "they" you're talking about? The world wants to know "who speaks for Islam". Now you're saying that there is a "they", who apparently speak for Islam and did not approve of the Hindu genocide that went on for hundreds of years.

Who are "they" ???

Quran/Islam/Muhammad

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.