• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'We Have Plenty of Guns If Trump Loses'

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Like I have been saying, I am simply reporting what Snopes is reporting.
You don't seem to understand -- civilized people in other countries, who don't feel the need to arm themselves to the teeth to venture out of doors, can't even conceive of how this creature, this buffoon, this cretinous, treasonous, multiply indicted, sexual abuser, can even be in contention for President of the United States. Let alone this close! You don't understand what this is saying to us about the American people themselves -- that maybe there is something seriously wrong, that maybe there's some sort of madness taking over

My best friend is an ex-pat American, now a Canadian citizen, born in Schenectady NY, who declares himself at a complete loss to explain what's happened to his native countrymen. For myself, I've listened to literally hundreds of interviews with Trump supporters, and I know one thing -- they really, truly are stupendously underinformed, and not particularly gifted at reasoning, either.

And I know something else, too. If we get a Trump 2.0, most of the developed world is going to suffer badly for it. Trump will do untold damage to much of Europe because his affinity to Putin will make him act unilaterally with respect to Ukrain, while at least a Harris government would coordinate carefully. Europe is already terrified that Trump will withdraw from NATO, as he once said he would do. (And again, because he kisses Putin's butt, he might well yet.)

Many liberties will be lost around the world, as the right wing begins stripping rights from undesirables like me, women and immigrants. As someone who has an abiding love for the history of how individual human liberties were finally achieved from the Enlightenment on (read A.C. Grayling's Toward the Light of Liberty: The Struggles for Freedom and Rights that Made the Modern Western World), I foresee misery on a scale the like of which I've never contemplated for the developed world.

No doubt you think I've overstating it -- but I've been alive a long time, and I've been involved in the continued search for liberty in my own life, and I know how easily it can be lost, how easily unthinking religious fundamentalism and right-wing dogma can silence those they don't like.

But I'm preaching to deaf ears, I know. Like I said, I've listened to hundreds who wouldn't know how they got the liberty to even think for themselves -- but who would regret it if they lost it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You don't seem to understand -- civilized people in other countries, who don't feel the need to arm themselves to the teeth to venture out of doors, can't even conceive of how this creature, this buffoon, this cretinous, treasonous, multiply indicted, sexual abuser, can even be in contention for President of the United States. Let alone this close! You don't understand what this is saying to us about the American people themselves -- that maybe there is something seriously wrong, that maybe there's some sort of madness taking over

My best friend is an ex-pat American, now a Canadian citizen, born in Schenectady NY, who declares himself at a complete loss to explain what's happened to his native countrymen. For myself, I've listened to literally hundreds of interviews with Trump supporters, and I know one thing -- they really, truly are stupendously underinformed, and not particularly gifted at reasoning, either.

And I know something else, too. If we get a Trump 2.0, most of the developed world is going to suffer badly for it. Trump will do untold damage to much of Europe because his affinity to Putin will make him act unilaterally with respect to Ukrain, while at least a Harris government would coordinate carefully. Europe is already terrified that Trump will withdraw from NATO, as he once said he would do. (And again, because he kisses Putin's butt, he might well yet.)

Many liberties will be lost around the world, as the right wing begins stripping rights from undesirables like me, women and immigrants. As someone who has an abiding love for the history of how individual human liberties were finally achieved from the Enlightenment on (read A.C. Grayling's Toward the Light of Liberty: The Struggles for Freedom and Rights that Made the Modern Western World), I foresee misery on a scale the like of which I've never contemplated for the developed world.

No doubt you think I've overstating it -- but I've been alive a long time, and I've been involved in the continued search for liberty in my own life, and I know how easily it can be lost, how easily unthinking religious fundamentalism and right-wing dogma can silence those they don't like.

But I'm preaching to deaf ears, I know. Like I said, I've listened to hundreds who wouldn't know how they got the liberty to even think for themselves -- but who would regret it if they lost it.
Well, that's not me but thanks I think. I am not an uninformed Trump supporter, anyway. Heck, I'm not even a Trump supporter of any sort.

I also don't "feel the need to arm myself to the teeth to venture out of doors." But you do you.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I also don't "feel the need to arm myself to the teeth to venture out of doors." But you do you.
What number of child deaths from school shootings will convince Republicans of the need for some accommodation of gun control? I'll you -- the evidence shows us that number does not exist. Guns? -- absolute necessity. Kids? -- meh, we can make more.

Kathryn

What number of child deaths from school shootings will convince Republicans of the need for some accommodation of gun control? I'll you -- the evidence shows us that number does not exist. Guns? -- absolute necessity. Kids? -- meh, we can make more.
Actually I am all for responsible gun ownership, which does not include killing kids. However, I don't believe that school shootings justify a knee jerk reaction because thankfully they are very few and far between. For instance, there are literally thousands and thousands of schools and even school districts, but very few actual school shootings thankfully.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well, that's not me but thanks I think. I am not an uninformed Trump supporter, anyway. Heck, I'm not even a Trump supporter of any sort.

You may not, but what he said about many of our fellow Americans is right on the nose, and it should be alarming to anyone who values liberty and democracy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Actually I am all for responsible gun ownership, which does not include killing kids. However, I don't believe that school shootings justify a knee jerk reaction because thankfully they are very few and far between. For instance, there are literally thousands and thousands of schools and even school districts, but very few actual school shootings thankfully.
One is one too many. We need to stop sacrificing children on the altar of gun idolatry.

Kathryn

One is one too many. We need to stop sacrificing children on the altar of gun idolatry.
That sounds great and I wish it could be true but unfortunately we live in what I would call a fallen world. People will kill other people, probably even kids, and if they don't use a gun they will use something else. I don't think we need to make things easy for them, however.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That sounds great and I wish it could be true but unfortunately we live in what I would call a fallen world. People will kill other people, probably even kids, and if they don't use a gun they will use something else. I don't think we need to make things easy for them, however.
Guns make killers more deady and efficient. Other socities have killers but significantly smaller body counts.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It was determined in April of 2021 that Sicknick died of natural causes.
Okay. Let's say that is true.

Are we then to accept that his injuries, and his subjection to noxious substances (pepper spray) must be seen as "legitimate peaceful protest?" In other words -- does it only count when the victim dies?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Guns make killers more deady and efficient. Other socities have killers but significantly smaller body counts.
Significantly smaller body counts in other societies?

Really?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Significantly smaller body counts in other societies?

Really?
Yep! Still signifcantly smaller body counts.