• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
All states should have the courts involved as a bare minimum.

If the state already has legislation that isn't obstructive to access care then there is no need for the courts.

I like that you answer as if the world is the USA. ;) :D

There are other ways to do it in effect legally than courts as such.

GoodAttention

I like that you answer as if the world is the USA. ;) :D

There are other ways to do it in effect legally than courts as such.

The USA is the only Western country that takes medical autonomy away from its citizens, which makes it more interesting that other countries.

What do you suggest instead of the court system?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The USA is the only Western country that takes medical autonomy away from its citizens, which makes it more interesting that other countries.

What do you suggest instead of the court system?

Got any links on that?
As for you suggestion for courts in that context, then it makes sense in some sense. But I do think e.g. that in Denmarks patient don't have full medical autonomy without the courts being envolved.

GoodAttention

Got any links on that?

No, but abortion is one, and legislation that specifically denies the treatment of gender dysphoria before the age of 18 is another.

The UK has questioned the benefits of puberty blocking hormones, but allows patients to be enrolled in clinical trials.

Europe and Canada are generally more socially conscious.

As for you suggestion for courts in that context, then it makes sense in some sense. But I do think e.g. that in Denmarks patient don't have full medical autonomy without the courts being envolved.

Many countries involved courts so capacity can be confirmed, and process has been followed. It is a good system.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, but abortion is one, and legislation that specifically denies the treatment of gender dysphoria before the age of 18 is another.

The UK has questioned the benefits of puberty blocking hormones, but allows patients to be enrolled in clinical trials.

Europe and Canada are generally more socially conscious.

Many countries involved courts so capacity can be confirmed, and process has been followed. It is a good system.

Well, for abortion in Denmark there is no full autonomy. There is a board that needs to give approval for later abortions and it is not a court.

Argentbear

I disagree. Biology is empirical, objective, and applies the same to all humans. The same can't be said for gender

No; only gender means different things to different people. When somebody says they are a biological male, they are saying they are XY, they have a prostate instead of a Uterus, testies instead of ovaries, a testosterone level of somewhere between 900-1200 instead of 15-20, etc. etc. I could go on but I think you get the point; when people use biology they are being consistent with what they mean.
objectively not all of these things are associated with an XY chromosome pair

GoodAttention

Well, for abortion in Denmark there is no full autonomy. There is a board that needs to give approval for later abortions and it is not a court.

Do you mean termination of pregnancy after 18 weeks? A board giving approval is appropriate, and it isn't a restriction of access like the US does.

Autonomy means the person can decide for themselves, but in the US the state has already decided.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
objectively not all of these things are associated with an XY chromosome pair

The problem is that choosing biology as a standard is subjective. @Kfox 's trick is to subjectively choose an objective standard and then ignore that the choice is subjective as per which standard is chosen. And then complain when people are subjective in regards to gender.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Psychologists and psychiatrists use the Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5), which is the internationally recognized standard.

The condition to be diagnosed is gender dysphoria, which must identify distress. Treatment with hormones has been established to provide benefit. Capacity to consent to treatment must also be established.

This is where the court system should play a part, confirming capacity and that protocols have been followed.
That all sounds good in theory (although the DSM is a bit suspect).

But again, WPATH has been seen to admit that they often do NOT have informed consent, and there is no good evidence that these hormones improve mental health outcomes.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I already gave you the evidence.

No, I was waitnig for you to show up.
Now I am going to try to find the legal base for gender care in Minnesota.
Here is what I found from an org that provides gender care to children:
"... Next steps, when age appropriate, could include beginning puberty blockers, menstrual suppression, and/or gender affirming hormones. It may also include referrals for voice-therapy or non-medication based interventions. ..."

Now this is an inderect approach, because I assume that it is based on the law in part. I am willing to admit that it could be different if you can find something different.
But I couldn't comfirm your claim!!!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No, I was waitnig for you to show up.
Now I am going to try to find the legal base for gender care in Minnesota.
Here is what I found from an org that provides gender care to children:
"... Next steps, when age appropriate, could include beginning puberty blockers, menstrual suppression, and/or gender affirming hormones. It may also include referrals for voice-therapy or non-medication based interventions. ..."

Now this is an inderect approach, because I assume that it is based on the law in part. I am willing to admit that it could be different if you can find something different.
But I couldn't comfirm your claim!!!
"gender affirming" is everything from therapy to surgery.