• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't have the power to deny anybody their subjectivity. I can only disagree or agree with them, and the same with them for me. If I disagree with them, I can provide an argument that might perhaps persuade them to see things my way. but as far as me denying their subjectivity? No.

No, you claim gender is not real. In effect you are saying these people are wrong, as the word they use is meanningless. Thus they can't mean anything with it. That is your claim for the world - the word gender is meaningless to all people.

Pawpatrol

and how do you know every single one felt this way? Did you take a survey?
People who suffer are usually eager to talk about it.
I've never actually taken meds for my panic disorder. Never said, nor implied that meds will "cure" it. They would help manage it though.
Instead, I received free cognitive behavioral therapy through a government-funded mental health program
You've had it better than most then. Some have it even better - finding a cure without going through years of therapy, but it's a unique opportunity nevertheless.
There's nothing inherently wrong with taking medications though. Particularly if you need them to get through your life.
No, there's not, but there is something wrong with a person (especially if they're suffering of something like depression, anxiety disorder or a phobia) believing they need medicine and being willing to use them all their life because they think they can't make it without.

Medicine is okay for temporary help if you need them at one time, but it's ridiculous the way doctors share them around like candy.

Kfox

No, you claim gender is not real.
Yeah; it's a social construct
In effect you are saying these people are wrong, as the word they use is meanningless.
I didn't say they were wrong, more like there is a better way to refer to people
Thus they can't mean anything with it.
No; I'm sure they mean something by it, it's just that it means different things to different people.
That is your claim for the world - the word gender is meaningless to all people.
I never made such a claim for all people.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah; it's a social construct

I didn't say they were wrong, more like there is a better way to refer to people

No; I'm sure they mean something by it, it's just that it means different things to different people.

I never made such a claim for all people.

Yeah, it is for all people, because there is a better way to refer to people.
The problem is that that better is not real, objective or empirical. So you are still doing a double standard of your subjectivity as accepted versus other people's denied.

Last edited:

leroy

Share your opinion. I’ll say 18. Maybe even older. There’s a lot of experimentation that dies out. One should be sure before they attach labels imo. Take a little time…
Well it depends on what you mean by “ identify”

You can label yourself however you want whenever you want, it doesn’t matter if you are 3yo 30yo or 100yo.

If you want to take drugs or mutilate/change your sexual organs, I´ll say that you have to be 21yo at least....

Pawpatrol

so you don't know that every single one of them needs (or think they need) medication to endure their life.
Lets just say..

"Transgender youth are far more likely than their non-transgender peers to experience
depressionnearly four times the risk, according to one study (Reisner 2015). Similarly,
LGBQ teens experience significantly more depression symptoms than their heterosexual
peers (Marshal 2011).
• In a 2016-2017 survey from HRC, 28 percent of LGBTQ youth — including 40 percent of

transgender youth — said they felt depressed most or all of the time during the previous 30
days, compared to only 12 percent of non-LGBTQ youth (HRC Foundation 2017).
• According to the CDC’s 2015 Youth
Risk Behavior Survey, 60 percent

of LGBQ youth reported being
so sad or hopeless they stopped

doing some of their usual activities
(Kann 2016).
LGBQ young people are more than twice as likely to feel suicidal, and over four times as
likely to attempt suicide, compared to heterosexual youth
(Kann 2016); the rates may
be especially high for bisexual teens (Marshal 2011). According to one study, a third of

transgender youth have seriously considered suicide, and one in five has made a suicide
attempt (Reisner 2015)."
Source

They have issues.

leroy

It appears to me you may be conflating 'sex' and 'gender.'
If through Alien technology I change my body with a woman, (like in “The Hot Chick” or many other science fiction movies) I would still consider myself male (and I would be objectively correct)……..despite the fact I will have a female body with vagina, and XX chromosomes.

So it really seems that sex and gender are different things ,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
These things don't have an actual existence by themselves; they only exist within the context of human thought.
That all happens in the brain. We can even see things like depression, anxiety, psyhcotic tendencies, hypervigilance, we can indeed see all these things happening in the brain. That means they exist just as much as a broken bone.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That all happens in the brain. We can even see things like depression, anxiety, psyhcotic tendencies, hypervigilance, we can indeed see all these things happening in the brain. That means they exist just as much as a broken bone.
I do believe that there are some traits and tendencies that can show up or are AT LEAST genetic and we know that much. I mean it's not just "the Hawkins blood" that caused mental health issues down the line in my family - it is genetics. My gosh, my mom and her sister but not her two other sisters got it, and of her mom's family, I think all four sisters had it. Nine of the 12 first cousins I have on that side of the family (including me, thank goodness) are fine but three ARE NOT. My own mother was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and then had a stroke and ended her life with vascular dementia, and my youngest brother is schizophrenic. Like I said, I am fine but honestly I feel like there but for the grace of God go I.

Shadow Wolf

I do believe that there are some traits and tendencies that can show up or are AT LEAST genetic and we know that much.
No doubt. Myself, I share far more in common with my mom's family, including her kid's from her first marriage and their kids, than I do my dad or his family. We're all even night owls, there's a few queers (making up around 30% of my small family). And even my grand niece has some of my facial expressions.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No doubt. Myself, I share far more in common with my mom's family, including her kid's from her first marriage and their kids, than I do my dad or his family. We're all even night owls, there's a few queers (making up around 30% of my small family). And even my grand niece has some of my facial expressions.
You know what is really, really weird? The fact that my son, who is named after a branch of the family, who he has never met and never been around, walks and talks like them. He even LOOKS like them, and he's never even met them.

Shadow Wolf

You know what is really, really weird? The fact that my son, who is named after a branch of the family, who he has never met and never been around, walks and talks like them. He even LOOKS like them, and he's never even met them.
Yeah. I pointed out to to my family after my best friend found her her dad's dad was actually a guy his mom had an affair, that we don't have to worry about that. For a bunch of blondes and redheads, we have some rather dominant genes. I even have a resemblance to my to mom's mom's parents, including my great grandmother's lazy eye and kind of look like her in the face.