• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No; only in certain situations I demand it of other people, and in those situations I demand it of myself as well.

Yes and that you chose those certain situations and not others is subjective in you and can't be done objectively. Nor can gender be done objectively, yet you subjectively demand that of people.

So you accept when you are subjective, but you don't accept that other people are subjective, when that is what is going.

Kfox

Yes and that you chose those certain situations and not others is subjective in you and can't be done objectively.
Yes.
Nor can gender be done objectively,
Yes; every since they changed gender to something meaningless, it can no longer be done objectively; that's why I quit using it.
yet you subjectively demand that of people.
I'm not demanding anything from other people, I'm just telling you what I do, and why I do it.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
As I said before, if the person looks like a biological male, but is actually a female, and I mistakenly call her a male, when she corrects me, I have no problem apologizing and referring to her as female from then on.
Then you made a point to tell them that you were "referring not to their gender but their biology."
Yes! I make an assumption on their biological makeup based strictly on how they look. This is how 99.9% of the people out there interact with others. I’m not alone with this; I’ll bet even you do this sometimes.
Of course! I used to answer phones all day. I've definitely accidentally mis-gendered people. I've even mistaken my mother-in-law for a man in a large crowd a couple of times.

The difference though is that I just apologize and ask the person what they prefer. What I don't do is tell them " I was not referring to their Gender but their biology." You don't actually know what their biological makeup is.
No, as I said before, If I make a mistake and they correct me, I will recognize my mistake and make the correction from then on.
Great! So you do realize they know who they are better than you do!
In the real world, most people don’t tell you how to address them.
Of course they do. All the time.
Don't you introduce yourself to new people you meet?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No; the jerk is the one who demands I address them according to their make-believe gender.
There you go again assuming you know someone's biological makeup just from looking at them. There you go again assuming you know more about other people than they do about themselves.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Medication help alter the thoughts (among other things). If they had an actual existence outside human experience, you would be able to describe how they look like.

I can describe to you how it looks when I have a panic attack. I can tell you how it feels to, but you'll dismiss that as "make believe" because you assume you know others better than they know themselves.

Obviously this is done all the time with diagnoses of mental disorders.

Kfox

Then you made a point to tell them that you were "referring not to their gender but their biology."
No. The only time I would mention that is if they accused me of mis-gendering them.
Of course! I used to answer phones all day. I've definitely accidentally mis-gendered people. I've even mistaken my mother-in-law for a man in a large crowd a couple of times.

The difference though is that I just apologize and ask the person what they prefer. What I don't do is tell them " I was not referring to their Gender but their biology."
Again; I only bring that up if they assume I was referring to their gender.
You don't actually know what their biological makeup is.
Again; I go by appearances
Great! So you do realize they know who they are better than you do!
I never suggested otherwise
Of course they do. All the time.
Don't you introduce yourself to new people you meet?
When I meet people, I am usually given a name, not gender instructions.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes.

Yes; every since they changed gender to something meaningless, it can no longer be done objectively; that's why I quit using it.

I'm not demanding anything from other people, I'm just telling you what I do, and why I do it.

Yeah, that it is meaningless is subjective. You are doing it again. You deny other people their subjectivity and take your own for correct. That is the double standard.

Pawpatrol

Then they exist.

My thoughts create physical distress in my body. I can take medication that will alleviate that distress.
Yet the medicine can't cure you because the problem is in your mind. It is the cheapest option for your country to just give you the meds, though.

I've ran into many many transgender and gay people during my lifetime. Every single one of them needs (or think they need) medication to endure their life.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yet the medicine can't cure you because the problem is in your mind. It is the cheapest option for your country to just give you the meds, though.
I'm Canadian.
I've never actually taken meds for my panic disorder. Never said, nor implied that meds will "cure" it. They would help manage it though.
Instead, I received free cognitive behavioral therapy through a government-funded mental health program.
I've ran into many many transgender and gay people during my lifetime. Every single one of them needs (or think they need) medication to endure their life.

There's nothing inherently wrong with taking medications though. Particularly if you need them to get through your life.

Can't say I really love the judgy tone of this post.

Kfox

I can describe to you how it looks when I have a panic attack. I can tell you how it feels to,
No; I'm not talking about how people react or feel when they have a panic attack. If panic attacks have an actual existence outside of sentient beings, tell me what this thing looks like, what color it is, it's shape etc.

Kfox

Yes, even when it comes to gender.
No. When somebody tells me their name, they are telling me nothing about their gender. I may make assumptions about their gender based on their name, but that is only an assumption; not specific instructions from them.
You're not checking on peoples' biological makeup every time you meet a new person.
Of course not; I never said I would.

Kfox

Yeah, that it is meaningless is subjective. You are doing it again. You deny other people their subjectivity and take your own for correct. That is the double standard.
I don't have the power to deny anybody their subjectivity. I can only disagree or agree with them, and the same with them for me. If I disagree with them, I can provide an argument that might perhaps persuade them to see things my way. but as far as me denying their subjectivity? No.

Argentbear

and how do you know every single one felt this way? Did you take a survey?

Argentbear

No; I'm not talking about how people react or feel when they have a panic attack. If panic attacks have an actual existence outside of sentient beings, tell me what this thing looks like, what color it is, it's shape etc.
You don't exist outside of your body. Does that make you imaginary?

Argentbear

I don't have the power to deny anybody their subjectivity. I can only disagree or agree with them, and the same with them for me. If I disagree with them, I can provide an argument that might perhaps persuade them to see things my way. but as far as me denying their subjectivity? No.
how would "seeing things your way" be any less subjective?