• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the mistakes Muslims do when informing others about Islam?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I guess it is agreed upon. I personally agree with the 2 ideas there, the part about mixing up between westerners and christianity, and the part about the value of opinions on current affairs. But we do have to share these other stuff too, about our beliefs, i mean this is a religious forum, and people ask these questions sometimes.
Explaining your faith is a positive thing, however the influx of preaching and 'informing' people of Qur'anic scientific miracles or telling atheists that their religion (Christianity) is wrong is simply a tragic break in communication and demonstrated the gap of societies.
Members like you can offer a much needed background to 'westerners' about Islam, all Muslim members need to do is realise they need to explain their Din and not preach their din, they need people to be informed and not to convert.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thanks for answering, not4me.

The Qur'anic verses and hadiths are limited in number and have a say in limited number of issues but the circumstances and situations in the different places and times are limitless and that's why Islam draw the broad lines for us and we are going to work our minds in the details based on the Qur'an and the Sunnah guidance.
That's why Islam is a dynamic religion.

With all due respect, it seems to me that those factors are just as true for any religion, not only Islam. No religion can afford not to recognize them.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Explaining your faith is a positive thing, however the influx of preaching and 'informing' people of Qur'anic scientific miracles or telling atheists that their religion (Christianity) is wrong is simply a tragic break in communication and demonstrated the gap of societies.
Members like you can offer a much needed background to 'westerners' about Islam, all Muslim members need to do is realise they need to explain their Din and not preach their din, they need people to be informed and not to convert.

I completely agree that preaching to someone when asking us about Islam is inappropriate, and it makes it harder to come to a positive conclusion, or any common grounds.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for answering, not4me.

With all due respect, it seems to me that those factors are just as true for any religion, not only Islam. No religion can afford not to recognize them.

Well, i'll have to disagree with you because many other religions have abandoned many clear teachings in their scriptures while Islam follow ALL the teachings of the Quran without rejecting or ignoring any, and i guess you already know what i'm talking about.

MissAlice

I completely agree that preaching to someone when asking us about Islam is inappropriate, and it makes it harder to come to a positive conclusion, or any common grounds.

I think since my visit here to RF, you've been the most informative and have done such a great job in educating without creating so much of the strife I see here.

Be interesting to know what many other muslims actually think in terms of many of the issues that are brought up here. I'm not saying every muslim on this forum hasn't put their own 2 cents into issues especially regarding humanity, I think .lava has also done a great job. Just seems so many do not wish to express an opinion or at least use a consciouentious effort regarding the hadith laws applied to those who do not for some reason or another fit within the Islam culture structure. I sometimes wonder if there should also be culture noted here or not. Many muslims say keep saying that the quran is unchangeable which I do not doubt but I can't help but see some division even among the Sunnis, Shiites and so forth. I do not know much about Islam to begin with but after reading some verses, it comes to a question of...which of these laws should apply and which should not when it comes to punishment on this earth rather than your belief in the after life. It is great to hear some actual personal opinions on the matter rather than just quoting the quran and using ways in which to avoid the issues on a personal level. If it were me, I would think it would be up to god but that's just me.

Hope I'm making some sense...

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think since my visit here to RF, you've been the most informative and have done such a great job in educating without creating so much of the strife I see here.

Thank you.

Be interesting to know what many other muslims actually think in terms of many of the issues that are brought up here. I'm not saying every muslim on this forum hasn't put their own 2 cents into issues especially regarding humanity, I think .lava has also done a great job. Just seems so many do not wish to express an opinion or at least use a consciouentious effort regarding the hadith laws applied to those who do not for some reason or another fit within the Islam culture structure. I sometimes wonder if there should also be culture noted here or not. Many muslims say keep saying that the quran is unchangeable which I do not doubt but I can't help but see some division even among the Sunnis, Shiites and so forth. I do not know much about Islam to begin with but after reading some verses, it comes to a question of...which of these laws should apply and which should not when it comes to punishment on this earth rather than your belief in the after life. It is great to hear some actual personal opinions on the matter rather than just quoting the quran and using ways in which to avoid the issues on a personal level. If it were me, I would think it would be up to god but that's just me.

Hope I'm making some sense...

You are making sense, i agree with what you are saying. I just seen in another thread, that some people get struck with certain verses in the Quran, thinking it implies a punishment by Muslims on others, while the verse is talking about the afterlife, so i guess we need to clarify some things better.

About the part that not a lot of Muslims contribute their opinions, i don't know if that is the case, why would it be. But i know for sure, based on what i've noticed, that some Muslims here are not really into debating and the heated stuff. I noticed they focus more on putting information about Islam in the DIR. May be it's because of some of the things that is said, or maybe they tried when they first joined, and then they grew tired of it, i'm not sure really.

Last edited:

Commoner

Headache
If you mean based on saying that for example that this is a sin without arguments, then never.Never should i do that except with people that share my faith. However, i could explain for others why i and my religion view a certain act to be wrong, and they can decide for themselves. Like saying that theft is wrong for these particular reasons, providing an explanation. But for things i can't provide an explanation, i shouldn't say to others so.

Exactly!

I believe the Quran is the word of God, i just don't have an evidence to make me 100% positive. As for the interpretations, it's not that complicated or hard, most verses are understandable. The difference of opinions doesn't occur in a big part of the Quran.

Well, the differences in opinion seem substantial enough for people to kill each other over, so...I wouldn't say it's not complicated.

Absolutely, i agree. I find skepticism to be a necessity i should apply on all things i've learnt, and even things i concluded on my own. In other words, i also believe i should make sure to rethink about my conclusions from time to time.

Ok, then we agree.

Yes, but that's because we don't know how God makes it work, so if you understand the method, doesn't mean nobody made it.

Of course, but neither do we know how gravitational pixies work. So what? You could have all the evidence in the world that radiation causes cancer - but still, there could actually be something else behind it - when radiation occurs it attracts little radiation pixies that come and give you cancer. There is no use in assuming layers upon layers upon layers, that's why we've got occam's razor.

Of course there are prayers that do work, who said no prayers work? I meant that the reason people conclude that prayers don't work is because it has certain conditions.

Well, I said it - they do not work. Do you know how many people have tried to prove that they do? If you think you can, just do it and collect the millions that have been offered by various foundations for such a discovery. You can give the money to charity if you don't want it for yourself.

The part about the different approaches or views of god, what i meant by it, that even if there is evidence in your opinion that eliminates a certain version of god, doesn't mean there is no god(s).

None of it was ever meant to mean that there is no god. It's simply evidence against an intervening god. Sure, there are other concepts people come up with, but - so what? God is my cup, therefore god exists? Let's not start with that, we both know what we mean by it.

To know wether or not he wants so, i mean yes he demands so, but why? Does he need it, no. Does he want it, may be, the point is i could speculate about his motives and stuff like that. But i don't know enough about him to make such judgment. Also, i don't know his motives.

Well, but you have made the judgement...you've made the judgement that he does want you to worship him. Remember, you first read the Quran, then agreed with everything in it and then concluded it was from god. So - you agreed that a god would demand worship. Well, I'm telling you, that's not congruent with my experience of men of wisdom, is it congruent with yours? I'll bet it isn't...

As for what's at stake, it was the part where i said that if there is a god i'm going to make sure i give him his dues. In other words, it's out of the most importance to me, to decide wether or not i believe in a creator, because if he existed, and i didn't believe in him, the outcome of that is horrible in every way. Not particularly the punishment part, but the very idea that i didn't acknowledge my creator troubles me. Also, i would be missing out on the possibility of spending eternity in heaven for my believe in him, and my good deeds... In other words, it is a big decision. Why couldn't it be possible that we can't find out now, this the part i referred to in the other thread i told you about.

Well, what can I say...I just don't get it - probably because I live in a very different environment then you. I've never had this decision hanging over my head and I've never had the idea of there being a creator pounded into me, so that I would feel troubled by the thought of not acknowledging it. All I can say to you is that this is not a feeling you would have had, had you not been told to have it. It is not somehing you just thought up by yourself, neither the idea of a creator, nor the punishement/reward associated with it.

These things you are refering to, they do not exist - not until they are demonstrated to exist. The consequences you're refering to - do not exist, until they are demonstrated to exist. You have to understand that. Before you make the leap of faith, there are no stakes, no rewards, no punishments, no deity to acknowledge, no god to make angry, sad or happy.

You cannot tell me they are the reasons that you have to decide on the truth value of there being a god, because these reasons are not valid - they are faith, pure and simple, and faith is not a vaild argument.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, i'll have to disagree with you because many other religions have abandoned many clear teachings in their scriptures while Islam follow ALL the teachings of the Quran without rejecting or ignoring any, and i guess you already know what i'm talking about.
And this very fact should make many Muslims start asking themselves why have their societies stayed behind for so long. other faiths have been flexible and have embraced the changes of life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I would rather not elaborate on those matters in a DIR thread, but since you're asking me directly, I will have to say that far as I can tell no religious teaching can ever be clear, or remain clear along the generations, until and unless practicioners of good faith make a sincere effort to lend it validity.

Yes, lend. I don't recognize scripture as being inherently true and valid. I wouldn't even if I believed in God. Scriptures are not magic scrolls or anything of the sort. To follow scripture strictly is inherently an empty proposal, regardless of whichever scripture we may be talking about.

So yes, I know what you are talking about. You are talking about the non-fundamentalists. The people who value their religion over their scripture. The sane ones, and the ones that make their religions valid. The ones who recognize the potential and flexibility of their own hearts and minds and are not afraid of having better judgement than words written centuries ago and forever unchanging and unrecognizing of new circunstances and developments.

If you want to follow on with this exchange, I guess we should resort to PM or to another, non-DIR, thread.

Sorry for you folks for my venting in, but I thought it would be bad to leave such a suggestion hanging around without answer and clarification.

Last edited:

dogsgod

And this very fact should make many Muslims start asking themselves why have their societies stayed behind for so long. other faiths have been flexible and have embraced the changes of life.
Rubbish. All religions reside in the past. Faiths are not flexible.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Rubbish. All religions reside in the past. Faiths are not flexible.

Not really. And that is a good thing, too. Even if sometimes in spite of themselves, religions can, do and must revise their own principles on occasion.

Often enough they have no choice, as for instance when the Jehova's Witnesses had to admit that their prophecies about the end of times just were not being fulfilled as expected. A more subtle case is the eventual abandonment of support for slavery by the RCC. But those are only the most obvious examples.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Shh, you'll ruin the stereotype. :D
Which stereotype my friend? ;)
I dont know what planet 'dogsgod' is living on, but the most notable group of scientists in North America who win the noble prize in science are flea infested desert dwellers from ancient Israel, is that the stereotype you are talking about? :cool:

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Which stereotype my friend? ;)
Lol, the stereotype of all religions being not-flexible and totally impossible to change, and religious adherents to be literalists who take everything as historic fact, of course!

(...and why does my Chrome dictionary not recognise the terms literalist and literalists even though I've added them several times? Stupid thing.)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course, but neither do we know how gravitational pixies work. So what? You could have all the evidence in the world that radiation causes cancer - but still, there could actually be something else behind it - when radiation occurs it attracts little radiation pixies that come and give you cancer. There is no use in assuming layers upon layers upon layers, that's why we've got occam's razor.

Yes, but in god's case, there are more things to make the idea more believable and reasonable, unlike pixies. You might not see it that way but i most certainly do. Many things make it likely to me that a god exists, which is not the case with pixies. Also, like i told you, it's of no importance to me wether or not pixies exist. So, my stance from it will be that there is no evidence they exist, so i don't think they exist, but that still doesn't mean there is no chance they do. Just like the aliens example.

Well, I said it - they do not work. Do you know how many people have tried to prove that they do? If you think you can, just do it and collect the millions that have been offered by various foundations for such a discovery. You can give the money to charity if you don't want it for yourself.

I never said anything about proving, i can't prove to you such thing, for more than one reason. But i do the feel the effect of prayer in my life, as well as millions of others, but that of course doesn't count as evidence.

None of it was ever meant to mean that there is no god. It's simply evidence against an intervening god. Sure, there are other concepts people come up with, but - so what? God is my cup, therefore god exists? Let's not start with that, we both know what we mean by it.

Yes but you said God in general, so i thought i clarify that assumably even if a certain version of God seems less likely to exist, doesn't mean you should discard the idea completely. Not you specifically, but i mean people shouldn't discard it.

Well, but you have made the judgement...you've made the judgement that he does want you to worship him. Remember, you first read the Quran, then agreed with everything in it and then concluded it was from god. So - you agreed that a god would demand worship. Well, I'm telling you, that's not congruent with my experience of men of wisdom, is it congruent with yours? I'll bet it isn't...

Yes i agreed that he wants or expects worship when i agreed with the Quran, my point was not that i don't agree, it was that we don't know why would he want that, which would make a huge difference in my judgment.

Well, what can I say...I just don't get it - probably because I live in a very different environment then you. I've never had this decision hanging over my head and I've never had the idea of there being a creator pounded into me, so that I would feel troubled by the thought of not acknowledging it. All I can say to you is that this is not a feeling you would have had, had you not been told to have it. It is not somehing you just thought up by yourself, neither the idea of a creator, nor the punishement/reward associated with it.

These things you are refering to, they do not exist - not until they are demonstrated to exist. The consequences you're refering to - do not exist, until they are demonstrated to exist. You have to understand that. Before you make the leap of faith, there are no stakes, no rewards, no punishments, no deity to acknowledge, no god to make angry, sad or happy.

You cannot tell me they are the reasons that you have to decide on the truth value of there being a god, because these reasons are not valid - they are faith, pure and simple, and faith is not a vaild argument.

I don't think this is the case. Theories are not proven, yet there is a chance it's correct. Not anything that is not proven is by default false.

Also, i think you got the impression that i chose mainly because of the stakes part, i only said it's one of the reasons.

For the part about things being indoctrinated to me. That also happened with lots, and lots of other things, yet i don't agree with it now. All these things, or at least most of them, have been questioned by me, it fell under my skepticism,and then i decided my position from it.