• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you currently playing?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. They've gotta make more of these Castlevania 2D action RPG games. With Down of Sorrow being the last of them, Castlevania is dead to me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. They've gotta make more of these Castlevania 2D action RPG games. With Down of Sorrow being the last of them, Castlevania is dead to me.
Dawn of Sorrow is not the last. After DoS there is Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia (both on DS). Portrait is weird because you have two characters instead of one, and you also have to fight Dracula and Death at the same time. Order of Ecclesia is both a lot of fun and the hardest Castlevania game since the first and third one. And if you have Xbox 360 or PS3 there is Harmony of Despair, although it's very different for Castlevania, doesn't have a leveling system, and is more about getting better gear to beat harder bosses to get better gear to beat even harder bosses. The 10 level (or chapter as they are called in this game) is a remake of the entire first Castlevania game made into one big level, and is also the hardest level in the game.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Dawn of Sorrow is not the last. After DoS there is Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia (both on DS). Portrait is weird because you have two characters instead of one, and you also have to fight Dracula and Death at the same time. Order of Ecclesia is both a lot of fun and the hardest Castlevania game since the first and third one. And if you have Xbox 360 or PS3 there is Harmony of Despair, although it's very different for Castlevania, doesn't have a leveling system, and is more about getting better gear to beat harder bosses to get better gear to beat even harder bosses. The 10 level (or chapter as they are called in this game) is a remake of the entire first Castlevania game made into one big level, and is also the hardest level in the game.

Yeah, been to these games before (except for HoD). They seem to be done by the same team (or ethics) of Harmony of Dissonance. They were so boring to me, a Castlevania die hard, dunno why. AoS and DoS seem to be done by the same team (ethics) of the legendary Symphony of the Night. Those latter three, Especially DoS and SotN, had epic-legendary music along side epic game play.

To me PoR had potential, but the characters (in both personalities and design) really ruined it for me. OoE as well.

Gotta get my hand on HoD, but to be honest, it's lack of the single-player campaign and RPG elements I'm looking for, really are not encouraging at the moment.

Shadow Wolf

Gotta get my hand on HoD, but to be honest, it's lack of the single-player campaign and RPG elements I'm looking for, really are not encouraging at the moment.
It is a bit light on the RPG elements (stats, gear-based builds, farming, and leveling abilities are about it), but it does have single player. There are also a bunch of fun tricks to master (such as using Soma's Yorick soul to jump off a skull, using the Medusa soul to hover in air, toss another skull to jump off of, and continue until you get to whatever platform) and various glitches to shorten some levels (such as shaving 10-20 minutes off Chapter 10 and 11). One farming advantage the PS3 has over Xbox360 is local co-op, which means, even playing alone, you can farm stuff up to 4 times as fast although you have put up with the map being zoomed out and everything being really small. And then there is the fun of using the old-school 8-bit Simon from the first Castlevania to beat up everything, and Richter's martial arts to do all sorts of stuff. I do wish though they would have used Maria's sprite from the SotN instead of having her as a little girl.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Suikoden 1, came out on the EU PSN along with Suikoden 2. Bought both but playing the first one, since the save data transfers over to the second game.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Back to Castlvania Down of Sorrow. Not as fast as Aria of Sorrow but the weapon upgrade system covers up for that well.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Trying to play Persona 3, but I think the fact that JRPGs are already kind of a time-investment that you can't really put down without risking forgetting what happened and starting over, in addition to the inherent clunkiness of menu-based combat, is keeping me from this highly renowned game. ...plus some of the rather disturbing imagery.

Beyond that, I'm playing System Shock 2 for my Youtube channel, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Wing Commander: Privateer for catching up on some audio books, and every day I play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, aka Puyo Puyo with an AoSTH aesthetic, in an attempt to train my brain to think in pattern manipulation more rapidly and deliberately than it does now. I think it's working.

Shadow Wolf

Roller Coaster Tycoon with the two expansions. I've forgotten how much fun this game actually is. I never have got down roller coaster design though, because what I though would be really fun was way too much for the vast majority of patrons, and stomach emptying for most of those who worked up the courage to get strapped in. Once I even leveled most of my park, made into a big mountain, made a roller coaster that spent a lot of time in that mountain, went outside to do loops, corkscrews, or just a "light at the end of the tunnel" before being plunged back into the darkness. I made the rails blue colors to make it look like the mountain was erupting with energy, made the trains gold for the effect, and I named it Death Mountain. It caused a mountain of vomit at the exit for the janitors to clean up.

Shad

Veteran Member
Crusader Kings 2. It is not strictly about the Crusades but it's basis started out with a focus on it. It has expanded well beyond this concept into other regions, religions, ethnic groups, etc. My current game had one crusade so far but was against Byzantium. It's heavy on politics, family dynasty dynamic, culture conflicts, nation building, character building etc. It is has simplified mechanics for war, trade and graphics. It would be the opposite of the Total War series. Replayable is high as a player can start at any date in part, there are few scripted events (Mongols) and npc controlled characters have a greater impact in the game world than the PC does (Byzantium converting to Islam rather than being conquered). Its a fun game, for those that like these sort of games, which one can play while watching a movie or sports game, etc. There is also a game converter for Europa Universal 4, same developer, which allows one to import their CK 2 game into EU4. This modifies the game world to match whatever it happened to be in CK2. So for example the player may have established the Norse religion under similar systems like that of Christianity and Islam. This would carry over into EU. One could reestablish the Roman Empire in CK2 while bringing Roman civilization to the New World in EU4.

Both games are heavy with DLCs so buy either when there is a sale.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Crusader Kings 2. It is not strictly about the Crusades but it's basis started out with a focus on it. It has expanded well beyond this concept into other regions, religions, ethnic groups, etc. My current game had one crusade so far but was against Byzantium. It's heavy on politics, family dynasty dynamic, culture conflicts, nation building, character building etc. It is has simplified mechanics for war, trade and graphics. It would be the opposite of the Total War series. Replayable is high as a player can start at any date in part, there are few scripted events (Mongols) and npc controlled characters have a greater impact in the game world than the PC does (Byzantium converting to Islam rather than being conquered). Its a fun game, for those that like these sort of games, which one can play while watching a movie or sports game, etc. There is also a game converter for Europa Universal 4, same developer, which allows one to import their CK 2 game into EU4. This modifies the game world to match whatever it happened to be in CK2. So for example the player may have established the Norse religion under similar systems like that of Christianity and Islam. This would carry over into EU. One could reestablish the Roman Empire in CK2 while bringing Roman civilization to the New World in EU4.

Both games are heavy with DLCs so buy either when there is a sale.

Hey, I like Crusader Kings 2. I spend all my time trying to get favourable matches for my kids, and then suddenly realise I have a poorly defended border about to be breached...lol
Have the Sword of Islam DLC (I think it's called) which I really like, but it seems to work somewhat sporadically. Doesn't always load correctly.

Shadow Wolf

Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter 3, and Dragon Quest Sword.
What I really need is a really good and challenging RPG to play. I wouldn't mind something similar to Disgaea, with the huge depth of gameplay and the puzzle-game like grid system.

Baladas

An Págánach
Record of Agarest War and Bully.

@Shadow Wolf
The Record of Agarest Ware is a strategy RPG. I can't honestly say how hard it is as I am still near the beginning, but I am enjoying it.

Shadow Wolf

Record of Agarest War and Bully.

@Shadow Wolf
The Record of Agarest Ware is a strategy RPG. I can't honestly say how hard it is as I am still near the beginning, but I am enjoying it.
Agarest was OK I thought. I actually have the collector's edition of Zero.
Have you ever played any of the Disgaea games? It too is a strategy RPG. There is a lot to learn in them, a ton of stuff to do, and even a grid system that puts a puzzle-game aspect into the battles themselves with various colored squares and colored cubes that have to be positioned correctly in order to set off a chain reaction when one cube is destroyed to change the colors of those squares to the color of the cube, which if done correctly will cause another cube to be destroyed, changing the color of other squares, destroying more cubes, changing more squares, and so on. Figuring out that system is how you get bonuses, which is how you get higher quality items.
And items themselves you even have to level by going into "item world," which is a series of battles (up to 99 with the highest-quality of items), with each completed level adding one level to the items level.
And then their is the senate and voting on issues that change various things in the game (and you often have to fight them and be very high level to beat them in order to pass you issue), creating the characters for your party, and reincarnating characters to level them up again and make them even more powerful. And there is also a bunch of post-game material.

Shad

Veteran Member
Hey, I like Crusader Kings 2. I spend all my time trying to get favourable matches for my kids, and then suddenly realise I have a poorly defended border about to be breached...lol
Have the Sword of Islam DLC (I think it's called) which I really like, but it seems to work somewhat sporadically. Doesn't always load correctly.

I have no issues with any dlc but I own each one. So either your install needs to be checked, if using steam, or just reinstalled. The only other ideas that come to mind are a part of the current game become dependent on older dlcs which you may not own or game patches which fix a dlc you do not own created in error. The game dev's patches do not treat dlcs as individual addition to an existing game but as part of the current game itself.