• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Hexaqua_David(II)

I read that about three or four months ago and I thought it was great. My girlfriend informs me that The Kite Runner is perhaps even better.

I read The Kite Runner before A Thousand Splendid Suns. After The Kite Runner I have been bored by all other novels I've read. It's truly a touching and very human story. I highly recommend it!

At the moment I'm reading the Bible, as usual, and also my favourite Bill Bryson Book: The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Funny stuff!

- David

cardero

Citizen Mod
Jonah.jpg

JONAH HEX
Issues 16-30
Approx. 330 pgs
Published by DC Comics
Written by: Palmiotto
Illustrated by: Gray

Being a Western comic in a Superhero market, Jonah Hex still remains a consistently great read month after month.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Reading two at the moment:

The End of Faith by Sam Harris
The Qu'ran

I'm half-expecting to find scorch marks on my bag from having both in there at the same time. :D

Not too impressed with Harris so far. I've finished Chapter 1; it's at the top of two of my personal lists:

- most uses of the word "paucity" in a single chapter of a book
- most logical fallacies in a single chapter of a book

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Just started Winters Heart by Robert Jordan. I had to have Borders order it and was begining to suffer withdrawal symptoms from not reading any Wheel of Time for nearly 48 HOURS!

Aqualung

Tasty
The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith. I just got done reading The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card, and before that I read PJ O'Rourke's On The Wealth of Nations, which is his commentary on The Wealth of Nations

Smoke

Done here.
Jeff Biggers, The United States of Appalachia: How Southern Mountaineers Brought Independence, Culture, and Enlightenment to America.

From the preface:
Beyond its mythology as a quaint backwater to the American imagination, Appalachia also needs to be embraced for its historic role as a vanguard region in the United States.

Vanguard Appalachia? The very word -- vanguard -- conjures up a plethora of images, though none in Appalachia. It's Thomas Jefferson at the Continental Congress in Philadelphia; it's George Washington plotting his campaign at Yorktown. William Lloyd Garrison, the great New England abolitionist, was in the vanguard of the antislavery movement; his transcendentalist Boston neighbors stood in the forefront of nineteenth-century American literature. The New York Times, in an era of yellow journalism, typified the vanguard press; the Village Vanguard jazz club in New York City provided the nations music innovators with its hallowed stage. Martin Luther King, Jr., at the front of the civil rights movement, would be its modern political symbol. Expatriate Gertrude Stein might be its literary icon.

These are all reasonable examples, of course. And yet, would you believe me if I said an Appalachian preceded, led or influenced every one of these historic events or gatherings? That years before Jefferson completed the first draft of the Declaration of Independence, a backwoods settlement had already stunned the British Crown with its independence as a "dangerous example for the people of America." That an alliance of Southern Appalachian insurgents orchestrated their own attacks on British-led troops and turned the tide of the American Revolution. That a humble band of mountain preachers and writers published the first abolitionist newspaper in the nation and trained the radical Garrison. That a Cherokee mountaineer invented the first syllabary in modern times. That a back-hills young woman astounded Boston literary circles in 1861, with the first American short story of working-class realism to be published in the the Atlantic Monthly. That a young publisher from Chattanooga actually took over the New York Times and set its course for world acclaim. That the "high priestess of soul" put a spell on an audience at the Village Vanguard in 1959, with her blend of folk, jazz, gospel, country, and Bach-motif riffs she had learned in her Southern Appalachian hamlet. That a self-proclaimed "radical hillbilly" galvanized the shock troops of the civil rights movement and returned an African spiritual and labor song as its anthem. That the first American woman ever awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature was recognized for her family memoirs of West Virginia as much as for her literary contributions to the Far East.

cardero

Citizen Mod
ythelastmanbig.jpg

Y: The Last Man
Publisher: DC/ Vertigo Comics
Issues: #1-59
Approx: 1,298 pgs.

An unknown plague has wiped out the male populace leaving only the women in it's wake. Yorick Brown, college student, amateur magician is the only male left alive in the world. Brian K. Vaughn explores this possibility and weaves a wonderful story of survival and reconstruction for a world that is not used to living without men. There is talk about this series becoming a film.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI

Ok, ok... I like variety, lol.

Smoke

Done here.
What Is Your Dangerous Idea? Today's Leading Thinkers On the Unthinkable, edited by John Brockman.

It's a good read, but so far I'm not finding the ideas therein particularly dangerous or even surprising. The majority of them have been discussed on these forums.

Sententia

I suspect many here are avid book readers.

I am currently reading two, in tandem.

One, which is excellent, is Warlock by Wilber Smith. (Ancient Egyptian local)

The second, which is not quite so interesting is, The Sundered World by Frank Ryan.

How 'bout you folks?

Isaccson's Einstein, Kings, Blaze and the last book of the Dark tower.

Just finished your inner fish.

Theocan

Just finished:
Dreams From My Father ~ Barack Obama

Finishing:
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of A Boy Soldier ~ Ishmael Beah (Really makes you wonder how such horrors can come into the world.)