• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm currently reading a book right now called Erewhon, by Samuel Butler. I watched Face/Off yesterday, and the Nicolas Cage character gets taken to Erewhon prison, and I looked that up and found out it was the name of a book, so I started reading it. It's pretty good (but then again, I'm partial to 17- and 1800s litereature, and this book was written in the middle of the Victorial era).

I also got Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I haven't started it yet, but I'm not sure I will finish it anyway, because I don't particularly like that time period in literature. And I got a Theodore Sturgeon book of short stories, just for something fun to read.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Today I picked up 'Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go: Waking up to who you are' by Thich Nhat Hanh.

But... I have lain all other books aside while I finish this other book I got from the bookstore. There was a series in the philosophy section of the store about the philosophy in various television shows, like "The Simpson's and Philosophy", "The Daily Show and Philosophy", and the one that caught my eye "Lost and Philosophy". They also had "Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy" which I might pick up next month.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I spent the better part of today rereading "Pride and Prejudice," which I had only read once before for college English. I didn't hate it so much as I did then, but still found myself greatly frustrated by the characters. I still don't understand why many of my feminist friends, whom I hold in high esteem, hold Jane Austen in such high esteem.

Circle_One

Presently reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice, The Shining by Stephen King, Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-teen and Teenage Killers by Carol Anne Davis and Punk by DK Publishing and Debby Harry (of Blondie).

Can't ever read just one book at a time.

cardero

Citizen Mod
51JXA46JBVL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The Unseen Force: The Films Of Sam Raimi

Author: John Kenneth Muir
ISBN-13: 978-1557836076
Paperback: 352 pages

Following his highly successful An Askew View: The Films of Kevin Smith (Applause), John Kenneth Muir now turns to the life and work of legendary cult-film director Sam Raimi. Raimi exploded on the movie scene in 1982, when he was 23 years old, with the audacious, independently produced horror film The Evil Dead. Re-igniting the horror genre to such a degree that Wes Craven credited Raimi on-screen in A Nightmare on Elm Street, Raimi went on to direct two Evil Dead sequels, his own comic-book superhero, Darkman, and an over-the-top, post-modern western, The Quick and the Dead. Raimi's influence on other filmmakers continues to be enormous - from the "shaky cam" shots of the Coen brothers to the early oeuvre of Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, both of whom have been termed the "direct progeny" of Raimi's works.In 2002, Raimi's Spider-Man had the biggest opening weekend in history, earning more than $114 million at the box office. The Unseen Force also features a sneak peek at the much anticipated Spider-Man 2. Included are 30 first-person accounts and interviews from a number of eclectic sources - from the cinematographers who shot Raimi's early films to the producers, screenwriters, actors, special effects magicians and composers who collaborated to make his films the stuff of legend, earn mainstream success, and still be the focus of obsessive cult followings.

Smoke

Done here.
Scott McClellan, What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception.

I had mixed feelings about buying it, because I remember him shilling for Bush when he was the White House spokesman, and I hate for him to make any more money from that, but my curiosity got the better of me. Plus, he's pretty well burnt his bridges with the Republicans at this point.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Y: The Last Man is a comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra

In the series, on July 17, 2002, something (speculated to be a plague) simultaneously kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome - including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm. The only exceptions are Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, and his Capuchin monkey Ampersand.
Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, their survivors' guilt, and the knowledge that humanity is doomed to extinction. Vaughan meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the phallic Washington Monument into a monument to the dead men, to the genesis of the fanatical ultra-feminist Daughters of the Amazon, who believe that Mother Earth cleansed itself of the "aberration" of the Y chromosome, to male impersonators becoming valued romantically and professionally.
Over the course of their journey, Yorick and his friends discover how society has coped in the aftermath of the plague. However, many of the women they encounter have ulterior motives in regard to Yorick. Though the subject matter of the series is entirely serious, Y: The Last Man is also noted for its humor. Yorick in particular is a source of one-liners, although the other characters have their moments as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I finally finished The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I wasn't impressed. I think that he relies on logical fallacy and bad argument way too much of the time.

Right now I'm reading the Qu'ran and the Principal Upanishads.

Actually, when I was carrying around The End of Faith and the Qu'ran in my bag at the same time, I half-expected to find scorch marks on one, the other or both. :D

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Just finished the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series. Now I do not know what to do with my life. I spent the last couple months reading those, they were so awesome. Now I have to wait another year for the guy to finish Roberts final book. Mabey Ill read the Sten series again.

gnomon

Just finished the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series. Now I do not know what to do with my life. I spent the last couple months reading those, they were so awesome. Now I have to wait another year for the guy to finish Roberts final book. Mabey Ill read the Sten series again.

You might like George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. Of course, the time period between the publication of each book is increasing.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
You might like George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. Of course, the time period between the publication of each book is increasing.
I looked up some of the reviews and it looks really good, but I am unsure if the plot will actually appeal to me. I may pick up the first book and see how it goes, but I also have yet to completely finish the entire Ender series.

fEtish

I just finished American Psycho and I enjoyed it very much.
Ellis really puts you into the mind of a psychotic and paints a great picture of how it would be to serial murderer. It's graphic but very compelling. Highly recommended.

cardero

Citizen Mod
MetalMen01.jpg

METAL MEN
Issues #1-8
Approx. 178 pgs
Distributed by DC Comics
Written by-Mark Waid
Illustrated by-Duncan Rouleau

Based on a DC Comics hero created by Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru in 1962, “Metal” revolves around a brilliant scientist, William Magnus, and his creations: six highly advanced robots who have powers associated with their respective metals — gold, iron, lead, tin, mercury and platinum. Instead of having to be programmed, the Metal Men can think for themselves, which is both their genius and their biggest flaw.

Sahar

I am currently reading "The Islamic Government" by Khomeini. He discussed the necessity of establishing an Islamic government and "Wilayet al-Faqeeh" (guardianship of the Islamic jurists) and that this guardianship includes governance of the country. All this from a Shi'a point of view.

cardero

Citizen Mod
51JDT1TDKVL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

IF CHINS COULD KILL: Confessions Of A B Movie Actor

Author: Bruce Campbell
Paperback: 368 pages
ISBN-13: 978-0312291457

Though it offers few revelations about the details of Campbell's personal life, this entertaining and witty Hollywood memoir combines his life story with how-to guidance on making independent films and becoming a pop culture cult hero. Campbell began working in show business as a teenager, and in high school became friends with future director Sam Raimi, with whom he eventually co-produced the 1982 cult horror hit Evil Dead, in which Campbell starred. Despite his wry, modest sense of humor Campbell recognizes the peculiar place that Evil Dead holds in contemporary culture he sincerely conveys the enormous commitment and work that went into making and marketing the movie. By the time he describes the film's premiere, Campbell's sense of triumph is palpable: we share his excitement when the film makes back its money and by 2000 becomes number three on the all-time video charts after Lady and the Tramp and Titanic. When Campbell isn't starring in new films like Evil Dead II and Moontrap, he is desperately often hilariously looking for investors for his new projects. His subtitle aside, Campbell's career has gone mainstream: he has appeared in Homicide and Ellen, is a regular on Hercules and Xena, and has started directing as well. (June)Forecast: While a boon to film cultists and to Campbell's many fans, this book also has enough insights and smarts to appeal to readers with a serious interest in popular culture. A planned author tour and national print advertising will help it capitalize on Campbell's cult following.